[REMOVE ADS]

on ones gonna be a fool forever

tried to like this song , just too syrupy for me
    forever came today grew on me but this, not much
    any thoughts

Another one of my favorites.

Classic Diana Ross/Michael Masser song.

it's a nice song. not a lost #1 hit but still good. also it's nice to hear a Masser song that isn't a heavyweight ballad

considering what some of the LTISH LP choices sounded like...this was great...LOVE ME was also good...and I thought the title track was wonderful...a playful fun tune...I somewhat liked Did You Read The Morning Paper and Turn Around too...the LP was around in the cut out bins forever

I like Love Me a lot .a gem.
    The track was good, Last Time I Saw Him.
    But the album was a mish mosh.
    Sorry I am the odd one ,not a favorite of mine. Trying to like it.

Nice enough song. Don't play it much, but the chorus is an ear worm as I can hear it in my head as I type this.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    tried to like this song , just too syrupy for me
    forever came today grew on me but this, not much
    any thoughts
    I always liked this song and thought it could have been a decent size hit if promoted correctly. Probably my 2nd favourite song after Love Me on the rather tepid Last time i saw him album.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I always liked this song and thought it could have been a decent size hit if promoted correctly. Probably my 2nd favourite song after Love Me on the rather tepid Last time i saw him album.
    I’ve always liked love me. Initially I wondered if that was the intended second single, as, to my ears, there was no Runaway favorite. NGBAFF was also a contender. Later, I assumed it would be stone liberty or I heard a love song, eventually certain it would be stone liberty. I was stupefied when it was sleepin’.

in 1973, the chorus of no one’s gonna be a fool forever pretty much worked. Now, when I hear it, I’m not as fond of it. When I first play the album, I couldn’t believe the mediocrity. individually, I’m not offended by any of the songs, and I don’t hate any of them, but neither do I hear any works of art. She had established her self with putting out high quality albums, and follows that up with this mess of throwaways. I don’t mind a dozen different producers if the tracks are great.

It is an okay song, but not a stand-out as some of the other Masser ballads. Thelma Houston's version was released as a single in 1972 and she even performed it live on Dutch television.

I don't care for it. It's waaaaaaayyyyyyyy to pop for my taste when it comes to Diana. I don't typically care to hear her this way.

Absolutely love this song full of hype and love ,also better than most Beyoncé songs so there you go

Yeah, I always loved the song and felt it was always right or Diana.

I agree about No One but I thought Love Me was contrived and way too gooey

LTISH was Billboard’s #1 Adult Contemporary Single of 1974

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree about No One but I thought Love Me was contrived and way too gooey

LTISH was Billboard’s #1 Adult Contemporary Single of 1974
    Yes it was. I am not especially crazy about LTISH but i am amazed that it wasn't a mega smash. It was so damn catchy. I would have put my last dollar on it being a no.1 smash yet it didn't even make the top 10 domestically and only scraped into the UK top 40 despite extensive airplay. Diana herself appeared to like the song, but not the album itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I’ve always liked love me. Initially I wondered if that was the intended second single, as, to my ears, there was no Runaway favorite. NGBAFF was also a contender. Later, I assumed it would be stone liberty or I heard a love song, eventually certain it would be stone liberty. I was stupefied when it was sleepin’.

in 1973, the chorus of no one’s gonna be a fool forever pretty much worked. Now, when I hear it, I’m not as fond of it. When I first play the album, I couldn’t believe the mediocrity. individually, I’m not offended by any of the songs, and I don’t hate any of them, but neither do I hear any works of art. She had established her self with putting out high quality albums, and follows that up with this mess of throwaways. I don’t mind a dozen different producers if the tracks are great.
    Love Me was the UK follow up to LTISH and it just made the top 40. Neither single made the top 30 which was something of a surprise at the time.

"LTISH" is such a pop masterpiece. Is it one of those rare songs in which the airplay just overwhelmed album or singles sales?
    Was is Billboard's 1974 #1 Adult Contemporary Single of the Year?

Makes a great song behind "A Lifetime Movie".
    Last edited by TNSUN; 03-05-2023 at 09:44 AM.

I like "No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever", although it took a little while to grow on me.

LTISH has more than 1 similarity to The Happening. obviously the dixie-land sound but the overall just feel good, catchy aspect of it. no one would probably argue that either is a groundbreaking work. but the joyous feeling is infectious

now why did Happening go #1 and LTISH stalled? i don't know about any of the backstage shenanigans but would love to! lol

IMO the Happening rockets out of the gate from the start full throttle. the playful lyrics and danceable groove. then there's the bridge and the key modulation. and it just keeps going. this song basically is you're at a bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and they're playing, everyone is dancing and the party just moves out in the street and marches along

LTISH is different. it's like a pick up song, where a bass player is plunking out a rhythm, then a guitarist joins in, and the others follow. The Muppet Show version with DR fits this. Diana and Floyd are starting out. then the move onto the stage and others join, then in comes the backing singers, etc. LTISH is all about the build up.

when they released the unedited version, what was really amazing was the extended ending. the jazz players are just having a ball and Diana is ad libbing and it just keeps getting bigger and better. the missing part of Verse 2 in nice but not mandatory. but i think the released single version cuts things off too quickly at the end. you lose some of the real power of the song by not hearing the clarinet go wild, more boisterous shout outs form Diana, etc. The released version is a bit too square.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "LTISH" is such a pop masterpiece. Is it one of those rare songs in which the airplay just overwhelmed album or singles sales?
    Was is Billboard's 1974 #1 Adult Contemporary Single of the Year?

Makes a great song behind "A Lifetime Movie".
    Yes it was

One of my favorites!

Love this whole album

Although sounding dated today, “No One’s Gonna Be A Fool Forever” was imo easily the most commercial sounding track on the “LTISH” album.
    It’s really odd the song was overlooked for single release, though Diana’s insistence on “Sleepin” perhaps sealed its fate.
    ”Love Me” is my own personal favourite, but “Fools” tells a story for added interest. Worst song for me being the starkly bleak “Stone Liberty”.

i like the extended version of LTISH, with the extra verse.
    could the extra verse made the difference?? i think yes.

Yes it was. I am not especially crazy about LTISH but i am amazed that it wasn't a mega smash. It was so damn catchy. I would have put my last dollar on it being a no.1 smash yet it didn't even make the top 10 domestically and only scraped into the UK top 40 despite extensive airplay. Diana herself appeared to like the song, but not the album itself.
    my heart sank when I read that she had new music coming out when there was much to be mined from touch me in the morning. When I saw it was from Michael Masser , I was thrilled. I was very disappointed when I first heard it, I was hoping for another killer ballad. I thought it was well produced, if you’re looking for a Dixieland, pop, single, and it was catchy enough. But to eschew brown baby, we need you, all of my life, and leave a little room…….for THIS?????? I knew that it was fun enough to catch on with some people, but I knew it was going to be a big disappointment as a follow up. And it was.

I think no one’s gonna be a fool, forever, suffers from one of the things that touch did, and that is the opening vocal. It’s a dark, moody and you have to listen. Hard to get into it. Hit singles don’t start off that way. You want it to grab you, not you to have to go chasing it. It just never works. The track itself is OK. It sounds very early 70s, but it is such a step down from TMITM. I think it would’ve stalled in the 40s, only because it was following a mega hit. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be pretty.

my heart sank when I read that she had new music coming out when there was much to be mined from touch me in the morning. When I saw it was from Michael Masser , I was thrilled. I was very disappointed when I first heard it, I was hoping for another killer ballad. I thought it was well produced, if you’re looking for a Dixieland, pop, single, and it was catchy enough. But to eschew brown baby, we need you, all of my life, and leave a little room…….for THIS?????? I knew that it was fun enough to catch on with some people, but I knew it was going to be a big disappointment as a follow up. And it was.

I think no one’s gonna be a fool, forever, suffers from one of the things that touch did, and that is the opening vocal. It’s a dark, moody and you have to listen. Hard to get into it. Hit singles don’t start off that way. You want it to grab you, not you to have to go chasing it. It just never works. The track itself is OK. It sounds very early 70s, but it is such a step down from TMITM. I think it would’ve stalled in the 40s, only because it was following a mega hit. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be pretty.
    The Touch me in the morning album was discarded way too soon. The UK got All of my Life of course, but they also wanted to release a 3rd single but were asked by Motown USA to concentrate on Last time i saw him. Utter madness! We need you, I won't last a day without you and Leave a little light could have been hits in their own right .Diana was very proud of the album, and it was one of the few albums that she seemed to recall in some detail. They should have delayed Last time i saw him by at least 9 months to avoid the product saturation, and of course we also had the Diana and Marvin album around the same time too.

I disagree as regards hit singles not starting off with dark and moody lyrics. “I Will Survive being not exactly jolly.
    Agree that “Fools” is nowhere near as strong a song as “TMITM”, but it does tell a story and have a catchy chorus. I think it might have done well in the UK at least.
    Looking at the “LTISH” album as a whole, there was not an awful lot on offer as regards hit singles.
    I agree it was criminal that such a high quality album as “TMITM” was abandoned so readily in favour of such an uneven collection. It really is hard to understand the thinking behind such a decision.

The Touch me in the morning album was discarded way too soon. The UK got All of my Life of course, but they also wanted to release a 3rd single but were asked by Motown USA to concentrate on Last time i saw him. Utter madness! We need you, I won't last a day without you and Leave a little light could have been hits in their own right .Diana was very proud of the album, and it was one of the few albums that she seemed to recall in some detail. They should have delayed Last time i saw him by at least 9 months to avoid the product saturation, and of course we also had the Diana and Marvin album around the same time too.
    completely agree. the TMITM set is marvelous and was robbed of it's proper place. it should have been a grammy nominated, if not awarded, album. a 2nd or even 3rd single would have easily worked.

then that would have lead seamlessly to the duet album with marvin. give TMITM and the duets their own time in the spotlight.

that would then have put us in 1974 and now it's time to sort of move on from the heavy, lush, highly romantic music she'd been doing for the last couple years. LTISH and the more playful and country sound of some of the material would have been a perfect transition. the album needed to be adjusted with To The Baby and Bob Gaudio tracks excluded.

then in 75 you have Mahogany and a Masser-produced album with songs like the Theme song, to love again, after you, i thought it took, etc. then 76 brings you DR76 and her disco sound

was swimming laps today lol and letting my mind wander. this weekend i put DR76 EE on and was listening to all of the outtakes, the album, etc. i do like the released album fine but it's always fun to play producer.

if we had held LTISH until AFTER the duets album, then you could have pulled together something:

last time i say him [[longer extended version)
    no one's gonna be a fool
    love me
    sorry doesn't make it
    together

get behind closed doors
    smile
    I'll be here when you get home
    After you
    get it all together
    you

then for DR 76 you do

Mahogany
    i thought it took a little time
    kiss me now
    when will i come home to you
    ain't nothing but a maybe
    to love again

love hangover
    stone liberty
    you're good my child
    i heard a love song
    one love in my lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    was swimming laps today lol and letting my mind wander. this weekend i put DR76 EE on and was listening to all of the outtakes, the album, etc. i do like the released album fine but it's always fun to play producer.

if we had held LTISH until AFTER the duets album, then you could have pulled together something:

last time i say him [[longer extended version)
    no one's gonna be a fool
    love me
    sorry doesn't make it
    together

get behind closed doors
    smile
    I'll be here when you get home
    After you
    get it all together
    you

then for DR 76 you do

Mahogany
    i thought it took a little time
    kiss me now
    when will i come home to you
    ain't nothing but a maybe
    to love again

love hangover
    stone liberty
    you're good my child
    i heard a love song
    one love in my lifetime
    Dont mind you playing around with “LTISH” but for me “Diana Ross 76” is purrrfect as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Dont mind you playing around with “LTISH” but for me “Diana Ross 76” is purrrfect as it is.
    i like it too and am totally content with the final, released lineup. But i can at least see some people's points that Kiss me and smile were just too out of place. yes you need some lighthearted songs and some ballads to even out an album. some have suggested that To Love Again would have worked on the album instead of Smile.

i think to simply swap Smile and TLA in the released album's lineup might not work. so i did sort of the lush ballads and all on 1 side and dance/rock on the other