[REMOVE ADS]

Motorcity 2023 - Vol. 1

I have been very pleased to see recent threads finally giving Ian Levine some credit for his incredible Motorcity project for which 770 songs were recorded between 1987 and 1992 [[plus a further 80 between Pat Lewis and Brenda Holloway around 1996/97). It is no secret that the project has been heavily criticized for its use of Fairlight synthesizers, a sound that has not aged particularly well, and Ian Levine will be the first to admit that himself, and he already started reworking the tracks in the late 90s to give them a more authentic sound.

Come 2023 and here is the first digital album of 25 new mixes, released today, Friday March 3, 2023. A second volume has already been completed, and isn't it just a joy to hear those voices!

What's the verdict?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BVDD9Y...ic%2C86&sr=1-1

Name:  motorcity2023.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  19.9 KB

1 - BETTYE LAVETTE - TOO GREAT A PRICE TO PAY
    2 - MARTHA REEVES - NUMBER ONE
    3 - JJ BARNES - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR MELODY
    4 - THE FANTASTIC FOUR - LYING IN THE NAME OF LOVE
    5 - MARY WELLS - KEEPING MY MIND ON LOVE
    6 - MARV JOHNSON - BETTER LOVE NEXT TIME
    7 - PAT LEWIS - HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST
    8 - RONNIE McNEIR - HEAVEN SENT
    9 - EDWIN STARR - SOMEBODY’S GOTTA GO
    10 - G.C. CAMERON - YOU GOT THE RIGHT OF WAY
    11 - JOE STUBBS - SMOKE’S IN THE AIR
    12 - THE ELGINS - LOOK UP TO THE SKY
    13 - THE MARVELETTES - MAKE IT RIGHT
    14 - JAKE JACAS - DON’T KNOW WHEN TO DANCE
    15 - SAUNDRA EDWARDS - TOW AWAY ZONE
    16 - THE ORIGINALS - TAKE THE ONLY WAY OUT
    17 - BRENDA HOLLOWAY - FIGHTING FOR WHAT’S RIGHT
    18 - C-BRAND featuring BILLY GORDON - HALF HEARTED
    19 - JOHNNY BRISTOL - NO MORE HEARTACHES TODAY
    20 - FRANCES NERO - PUT MY LOVE ON HOLD
    21 - BARBARA RANDOLPH - SAVE ME NOW
    22 - KIM WESTON - INVESTIGATE
    23 - THE SISTERS LOVE - TONIGHT
    24 - LINDA GRINER- NOT THIS TIME
    25 - SHERRI TAYLOR - WEAK HEARTED

Last edited by soren1974; 03-05-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks for that info. Will the artists receive any royalties from these?

I am really interested to hear these tracks.

However, I am now thinking they will have to pass me by....so will be unable to give any opinion.

I have never yet purchased any music by download, and was thinking this is a good reason to have checked it out.

Looks like it needs to be purchased via Amazon....and that I also need to take out a monthly subscription with Amazon, to hear it, and then save it.

At the moment, I am feeling I will have insufficient need to purchase any other music by downloads, so the added cost of a monthly subscription would appear to make the initial album purchase unviable.

Am I misunderstanding the situation...or does anybody have anything else to suggest.....?

Hi Roger, I believe that this album has now been released on all/most digital download and streaming platforms, not just Amazon Music.

I download most of my music from iTunes, which requires an Apple account, but not a monthly paid subscription. There are lots of other download sites as well, including 7Digital and Qobuz [although not all sites release everything, and they probably won’t have this release].

Hopefully this link takes you to Apple Music, and from there you’ll have to click ‘Buy on iTunes store’: https://music.apple.com/gb/album/mot...l-1/1671007403
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-04-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks for that, Tom!

I already have an Apple iPhone, so am hopeful.

Let's see how it goes....

Hmmmmm....

Have clicked on the link you kindly provided, but looks like I would still need to take out a subscription...and at a higher cost than with Amazon.....

It certainly would have been much easier and cost-effective to make a one-off payment for a CD....but we can't go back....

I think the subscription you would be paying is for Apple Music, Apple’s streaming service. I believe Apple’s download store, iTunes, works very much on one-off payments, like you’re buying the tracks from a CD. I don’t pay a monthly subscription for using the store.

If you have an Apple phone, you can go to the iTunes Store, an app which should already be installed on your phone. Then, search for ‘Motorcity 2023 Vol. 1’ and the album should come up. It should be priced at £6.99 [and that only!].

Well, thanks for all that help, Tom....

I am now not only signed up for iTunes on my laptop, but have also bought the album.

Progress!

So far, what I have heard seems promising.

The sound quality is a bit like listening to the music while underwater, so nowhere near as good as on a CD...but wasn't really expecting it to be.....

And, at least, I can now hear the tracks.....so can post my thoughts soon.

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 1: Bettye LaVette - Too Great A Price To Pay [remix]

[Original Version: The lead vocal is predictably great, but is not effectively highlighted by instrumentation. A much lighter touch needed with drum and bass sound. Drum beat is too 'clunky' and lacks distinction; needs percussion overdubs. Overall, entire track sounds too laboured. Background vocals, while interesting and quite distinctive, are generally far too prominent, and distract from lead vocal.]

VERDICT: This Version:

Lead vocal now benefits from enhanced echo. Instrumentation comes to life with improved and imaginative rhythm and use of percussion sounds. Background voices remain too prominent, and now clutter and conflict with new arrangement. This version would be even better if they were to be largely or completely removed, to permit full focus on lead vocal.

Overall, a great improvement!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-05-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Not sure if it's on YouTube, but it appears you can hear the whole album in its entirety on Spotfiy.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5gwWY...BjPLQ9ZlP30hRU

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 2: Martha Reeves - Number One [Nigel Lowis remix]

[Original version: I have only really had one issue with this, and that is the somewhat jerky instrumentation, together with the 'hammer hitting metal' drum sound; probably the one characteristic which most irritated me with any of the original Motorcity recordings.]

VERDICT: This version:

Now this leaps right out at me, crying 'MOTORCITY!!!' Just makes me want to get up and come alive, this very minute. It captures the essence of Martha, powering her way ebulliently through her song [backed by The Andantes, I would say]. For me, a totally joyous sound. Now, wherever did I put that tambourine.....?!

A transformation, and all credit to Nigel Lowis for achieving it.

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 3: J. J. Barnes - Whatever Happened To Our Melody [Nigel Lowis remix]

[Original version: This has always been a very pleasant, if repetitive track, with one of the catchiest choruses of any Motorcity recording. The dreaded 'hammer hitting metal' sound is a real detraction to my ears. And with a somewhat careful, sedate feel to the rhythm, as if something is being held in check.....]

And now here, everything lets go, and loosens up. I always really enjoy J. J. Barnes' voice, and especially having it presented here to great effect with this remix. What was a good little track now made into a great one, courtesy of Nigel Lowis

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 4: The Fantastic Four - Lying In The Name Of Love [Nigel Lowis remix]

[Original version: This has always been one of those Motorcity recordings which certainly has some good things going for it...and could have been better. Should have been better. But, too often, it does not draw me in. I find my mind switching to something else, then realising it is still playing, and I am not listening at all......]

While still repetitive, there is now much more of interest going on. Even if I do feel Sweet James Epps has a tendency to oversing on many of his Motorcity recordings, his voice still holds my attention on this version. Another noticeably improved track, courtesy of Nigel Lowis......
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-06-2023 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Well, thanks for all that help, Tom....

I am now not only signed up for iTunes on my laptop, but have also bought the album.

Progress!

So far, what I have heard seems promising.

The sound quality is a bit like listening to the music while underwater, so nowhere near as good as on a CD...but wasn't really expecting it to be.....

And, at least, I can now hear the tracks.....so can post my thoughts soon.
    That's brilliant! I'm very glad.

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 5: Mary Wells - Keeping My Mind On Love [remix]

[Original version: This is pleasant, but limps along, and lacks impact. The 'tick tock' drum sound and bass maintain a very steady but pedestrian pace, with the result that the recording simply plods. Apart from that, the vocals and the string sounds [with some reservation] are fine, if somewhat overpowered by the brass sound. Background vocals are consistently too prominent - would benefit by being mixed down in places, and in echo.

VERDICT
    : This version:

Still a gentle vocal message, but presented with a production offering far more attack and fire. Has now become a real foot tapper. Slightly better balance between lead and background vocals. The piano sound comes through more clearly - a real benefit. String sound notes are still sustained for too long at times [a common drawback with the original recordings], and then just hang in there, like a low cloud. Would benefit from shorter and more varied passages with strings, to give more impact....but not a major drawback on this version.

A really great improvement!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-06-2023 at 08:28 AM.

MOTORCITY 2023 - VOL. 1

Track 6: Marv Johnson - Better Love Next Time [remix]

[Original version: Standard Motorcity bass, drum, brass and string sounds. Marv Johnson's reedy tenor vocals seem to suggest straining near the top of his register, supported by what sounds like Billy Griffin's light, airy double tracked background vocals. A catchy and pleasant, if repetitive track, and somewhat lacking in punch.]

The overall production is opened up, and given a big, Philly style sound, which better showcases the light-voiced lead vocals. A great improvement on both the original version, and the reworked version on the 'Solid Ground' various artists compilation from 2006.

Best version of this track so far!

MOTORCITY 2023 - VOL. 1

Track 7: Pat Lewis - Head And Shoulders Above The Rest

[Original version: First time of hearing for me, and cannot immediately trace it. Maybe I have just missed it, or it is even possibly a new track.]

A stripped-down, unembellished production. Not the most distinctive sound, when compared with the other tracks from this album, but pleasant vocals and some nice little percussive effects. On first hearing, there is something slightly irritating about the chorus...but that just might suggest that I will start to find it going around in my head.....!

Thoroughly enjoying your reviews, WestGrand. Very nice to hear these tracks with the updated, less mechanize sounding background tracks.

Keep it up!

Just having fun here, Kenny, indulging myself with a little bit of OCD!

Whenever I can find a few minutes, I am reviewing them via iTunes, compared to tracks in my CD collection.

I am not internet savvy enough, to date, to post live links to the tracks in my posts.

Even if I was, I feel uncertain if I should actively promote free links, when the idea is for these new tracks to be purchased...

But then, I'm doing this on a laptop, so I can use multi-screens, and listen to the music while also being on SDF.

And I guess many people only use their mobile phone.

So.....if you, or anyone else, wants to reply to any of my 'review posts' [and it would be good to hear what anyone else thinks], simply by inserting a link to at least the latest remixed relevant tracks, then please do so......
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-08-2023 at 02:06 PM.

[Track 7: Pat Lewis - Head And Shoulders Above The Rest First time of hearing for me, and cannot immediately trace it. Maybe I have just missed it, or it is even possibly a new track.]

Head And Shoulders is a previously unreleased track by Pat Lewis which was originally recorded as far back as 2013 alongside Carry Me Away [[released on the vinyl single box set Northern Soul Millenium Classics Vol. 2, 2022), its b-side You're My Star,The Last To Know [[still unreleased, but re-recorded by Lorraine Silver in 2021, B-side of Fever Raging Out Of Control), The Man In My Life [[scheduled for inclusion on Ian's cancelled Northern Soul 2022 release - it is a new tune, not a cover of Ian's similarly-titled track by Lynda Lawrence), Could I Ever Live Without You, I'll Stand My Ground and Show Me A Little Appreciation that all remain unreleased as of now.
    Last edited by soren1974; 03-10-2023 at 01:23 PM.

Many thanks for that, Soren1974...which makes for very interesting reading.

Let's hope that at least some of those unreleased tracks will appear in the near future....

So.....if you, or anyone else, wants to reply to any of my 'review posts' [and it would be good to hear what anyone else thinks], simply by inserting a link to at least the latest remixed relevant tracks, then please do so......
    I posted this link previously. The entire album can be listened to on Spotify, no piracy involved!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5gwWY...BjPLQ9ZlP30hRU

Oh yes certainly, I did see that, and checked it out. I understand that it is free to use, and some royalties are paid, based on general usage [I think!]. So that all sounds good....

But your original post will slip away down the list, as they all do...so it does seem easier, if mentioning a track in a post, to include a link for it right there, for anyone interested.

And that is just one more thing I have yet to master....

These are really useful and helpful reviews WGB. Do you know of something similar with regard to the Soul Giants release on Elevate from 1998? That's another good 4 CD set as you've previously mentioned.

Thank you for your kind comments, Mystery!

The reviews are just my own opinion....and probably triggered after years of frustration in listening to certain tracks and thinking 'now, if it were me, I would have....!". [in that respect, I find Motorcity is quite inspirational!]. Other members will have their different feelings about them, of course.

I have seen no specific details regarding the Soul Giants set, other than track listing.

Do you think it would be helpful if I did similar with that particular set? That is, by reviewing the updated tracks included [as applicable, as not all of the 50 tracks included were given new backgrounds], and comparing them with the same titles first released on the Motorcity label?

I do think it would be a great project - certainly I would welcome your reviews. I don't know that everyone will be familiar with this set. Mine doesn't even have an insert - not sure if that's normal. But one thing is for sure - there are some really great tracks on this 4 CD set. All too easy to overlook as "same old" unless you're in the know. Plus there do seem to be some previously unreleased songs. Throughout the Motorcity project - Pat Lewis really is impressive!

I think I should start a new thread for review of the Soul Giants set.

I will need to assemble a few reviews, ready to start the new thread. Then add more as soon as possible, as and when I have time.

In an ideal world, I would know how to compose a review in a post, then add a link both for the original release reference version, followed by the corresponding track on Soul Giants. That should then make for quick and easy comparison. At the moment, 'got the idea, but not the knowledge'.......but if it were to be possible, the links could be added later in new posts.

I have always felt there to be a very great wealth of unfulfilled potential in Motorcity, so it is good to be discussing it here at this time. It may even cause some to revise their initial opinion, and now hear something that, before, they did not.

No, there is no insert in my copy, either. The discs do bear the advice 'See Inlay For Details'....which could easily lead to the thought that a booklet is missing [there would have been room for one]...but I guess 'inlay' simply means the back of the box, which lists the tracks.

I knew that a number of Motorcity tracks had been reconstructed with new backgrounds. When I spotted this set, noted the list of featured artists and also the tag line 'features exclusive, previously unreleased versions', I leaped on it.

Agreed, there are some tracks included which I do not believe had been released at the time Motorcity folded in the UK.

I have long felt that Ian Levine had, and still retains an astonishing breadth of vision...and which is probably underrated. But also, in some respects, what made him unique, extremely focused and hardworking, could also work against him.

'His own worst enemy' is a phrase which comes to mind.

In producing the Motorcity project, Ian Levine, in arranging for all the artists to be heard once again, was then dependent on people who were particularly talented in the artistic field.

Step forward, Pat Lewis....a prolific recording artist for Motorcity in her own right, and also very much a real unsung 'Giant Of Motorcity', in the background.

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 8: Ronnie McNeir - Heaven Sent [Nigel Lowis Mix]

[Original Version: Reference: The Very Best Of Ronnie McNeir:

A standard Motorcity 'karaoke style' background track. Pleasant, but also a little heavy and sedate. Lacks swing. Needs more distinctive touch and sparkle, and more echo. Also, a different arrangement for background track needed to better showcase lead vocal. Good background vocals - two or three different sets of voices and harmonies, which add individuality, instead of a homogeneous sound. In addition to the background voices ,there is an additional male voice channelling the high vocal notes of the lead [for example, on the chorus], but deeper in tone. Could be Ronnie McNeir himself, singing in a much lower register than his airy falsetto...but may not be.]

A complete transformation in sound. A lush, sweeping, melodic Philly style of production. The string sounds now mirror and further emphasise the vocals. Far more sparkle and cool, elegant pizzazz.

One of the best yet, from this set!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-10-2023 at 07:11 AM.

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol. 1

Track 9: Edwin Starr - Somebody's Got to Go [Nigel Lowis Remix]

[Original Version: Reference: I have not previously heard this track, or recall ever noting it as being available on CD, so am guessing digital only. Edwin Starr's excellent vocal seems to have been dubbed on the background instrumentation [including background vocals] of the original, full blast production version by Linda Griner. And which is one of my own top Motorcity favourites.]

VERDICT: This Version:

Seems to be about half a minute shorter than the above version, but how good is this! It roars along, with distinctive guitar work, and with what sounds like a full brass section. Edwin's vocal sounds even better, and if the instrumentation is computer generated, it is truly remarkable. Am now wishing the entire Motorcity catalogue could be available with similar productions.

As good as anything heard on this album so far!

I've seen your new thread re "Soul Giants" and it's looking great. I'm gonna avoid commenting on there for now in the hope of not splitting up your posts. I do have some favourites from the 4 CD set - the Pat Lewis Jackson 5 stuff and Frankie Gaye's "What's Going On" for example are really good.

Many thanks, Mystery....but it is fine to go ahead with any comments on 'Soul Giants' thread..

All the reviews will be self-contained, so other posts around them will be no problem.

And it will certainly take me some time to work through the whole fifty!

MOTORCITY 2023 - Vol.1

Track 10: G. C. Cameron - You Got The Right Of Way

[Original version:
    Reference:
    'Best Of Motorcity Vol. 10'
    'Right Or Wrong'
    'Very Best Of G.C. Cameron'

All three running at around 4.51, and all titled simply 'Right Of Way'. G.C. Cameron came out of the Motorcity project quite well, with some interesting tracks, and productions which often differed from many of the more standard Motorcity efforts. This is one of his best, with a strong and varied rhythm track arrangement, and some very interesting drum sounds underscoring G.C.'s 'I'm just here having a good time here' vocals.]

Running time 3.58, title now changes to 'You Got The Right Of Way'....and the pace instantly becomes 'Express Way'. The increased tempo tends to leave sections of the lyrics sounding a tad frantically paced, but the drum and percussion sounds really thunder along, sounding just great. Pat Lewis prominent among the background vocalists.

Another cracker!

MOTORCITY 2023 - VOL. 1

Track 11: Joe Stubbs - Smoke's In The Air

[Original version:
    Reference:
    'Round And Round' album 3.46
    but sounds better on 'Best Of Motorcity Vol. 13']

From the same songwriting team as 'Footsteps Following Me' - Ian Levine; Ivy Jo Hunter and Steven Wagner. Apart from the 'knock, knock' drum machine, this for me is one of the most affecting, soaring melodies of all the Motorcity tracks, combined with tender and adoring lyrics. More hit potential than many other tracks.

VERDICT: This version: [3.40]

Hmmm. Well, here's a real disappointment. When a song sets an ephemeral, romantic tone with lyrics about love and smoke, it surely needs sympathetic instrumentation to best showcase the vocals, so that the lyrics can fully resonate with the listener. The pace and certain elements of the background on this track are, in themselves, great. But for songs other than this one. The relentless beat here takes it completely in the wrong direction. The tempo and hard-driving sounds are totally at odds with the lyrics, taking the whole track almost to the point of a comedy send-up. A real shame to waste an opportunity, and present a lovely little song in this way. Major fail with this particular arrangement, for me....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-16-2023 at 08:27 AM.

MOTORCITY 2023 - VOL. 1

Track 12: The Elgins - Look Up To The Sky

[Original version:
    Reference:
    'Best Of Motorcity Vol. 2; 4.16

Co-written by Ian Levine and Buford 'Fab' Glanton, who sang lead on The Lovetones' Motorcity recordings. Background vocals by Billy Griffin. Instrumentation has a somewhat measured pace, if a bit heavy going at times, while the ebullient lead vocal by Yvonne Vernee Allen could benefit by being higher in the mix.]

VERDICT: This version: [3.30]

The whole production is opened up, with more focus on the lead vocal. Taken at a slightly faster pace, but which seems even faster by use of different drum rhythms.

A skilful new version, retaining the spirit and positives of the earlier version, and then adding further sparkle, yet without achieving a total transformation.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-18-2023 at 09:23 AM.

Whenever I can find a few minutes, I am reviewing them via iTunes, compared to tracks in my CD collection.

I am not internet savvy enough, to date, to post live links to the tracks in my posts.

Even if I was, I feel uncertain if I should actively promote free links, when the idea is for these new tracks to be purchased...

But then, I'm doing this on a laptop, so I can use multi-screens, and listen to the music while also being on SDF.

And I guess many people only use their mobile phone.

Hi Roger, the whole Motorcity 2023 Vol. 1 album is available on YouTube [where videos are free to listen to as income is generated from ad revenue]. The album can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DlN7Di1ftoaabc

You can insert these YouTube videos into your posts. Firstly, go to the video you want to insert and copy its link [found at the top of the page]:

Name:  Motorcity 1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  18.0 KB

Then, come back to Soulful Detroit and paste it into your post.

Then, type Name:  Motorcity 2.png
Views: 233
Size:  628 Bytes before the link and Name:  Motorcity 3.png
Views: 237
Size:  705 Bytes after the link.

Like this: Name:  Motorcity 4.png
Views: 236
Size:  2.9 KB

This will then insert the video into the post:

I hope this helps!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-31-2023 at 05:18 AM.

Very many thanks Tom, for kindly responding to my request.

That all looks great!

This information will, I hope, now help me and my shaky IT knowledge a great deal.

Not only with this particular thread, but with ALL the other current Motorcity threads.

Also, ALL the new ones.....smile....

And with said threads, I plan to resume input over the weekend.

I shall continue with my personal reviews of Motorcity 2023 Vol.1 right here...and if anyone else is in agreement - or feels differently, and can submit those feelings positively - this is the place they should let their thoughts be known....

So....while I absorb all of Tom's valuable information above, an attempt to catch up.......

MOTORCITY 2023: VOL. 1

Track 13: The Marvelettes - Make It Right

[Original version:
    Reference:
    'Very Best Of The Marvelettes'; [4.10]

I have never felt the full potential of this song has been realised in this production. It comes over as a bland, so-so song, and which takes too long to reach the chorus. The lyrics are uneven on some lines, and don't smoothly fit the music. A higher key would help get the message across, and I'm not entirely sure it is a most suitable song for Gladys's voice. More percussion needed, also echo.]

VERDICT: This version: [4.00]

Much more verve and attack, increased echo now gives distinction to lead vocal - but now also featuring a busy, clumsy heavy drum sound, which overpowers the lead vocal. There are good things going on, but which could be fully appreciated only if the drum sound were to be much reduced. Background vocals are too prominent in places. Another track from Motorcity 2023 Vol. 1 album where the instrumental sounds do not seem appropriate for the message of the song. This version is better in some ways than the original, but also worse in others. So it remains a recording which does not do much for me, and needed a radically different arrangement.

MOTORCITY 2023: VOL. 1

Track 14: Jake Jacas - Don't Know When To Dance [remix]

[Original version:
    Reference:
    'Two Way Street' album, but which was unreleased by the time the Motorcity label folded in 1992. Had been scheduled for release as single MOTC 119. There was also an edited version [3.26], which was likely the version scheduled for Hot Records 'Best Of Motorcity Vol. 44' - but which also went unreleased. I cannot immediately locate a copy of the original version here, if one did become available on disc at a later date, or a currently available digital version. That said, the title seems to have been released this year by Achievement Records on 7" vinyl. Cannot confirm which version, although the version featured here on the album does seem most likely']

VERDICT: This version: [3.49]

A fine, very bright and peppy sound. Brass and string sections playing at full blast. Very nice keyboard sounds. Lead vocals overpowered by the music at times. Jake Jacas's singing voice does have an adenoidal, slightly strangled quality to it, with unclear enunciation which does not always clearly project the lyrics - but still effective here when taken in context of the complete recording. Very enjoyable!

Track 14: Jake Jacas - Don't Know When To Dance [remix] [Original version: Reference: 'Two Way Street' album, but which was unreleased by the time the Motorcity label folded in 1992. Had been scheduled for release as single MOTC 119. There was also an edited version [3.26], which was likely the version scheduled for Hot Records 'Best Of Motorcity Vol. 44'
    The song had not been planned for inclusion on Jake Jacas' intended Motorcity album MOTCCD 74 - where have you seen a track-listing for Best Of Motorcity, Vol. 44?

Name:  JJ2 [[1).jpg
Views: 171
Size:  82.0 KB

The original mix was belatedly issued in 2002 on Name:  JJ2 [[2).jpg
Views: 177
Size:  94.3 KB

Said Ian Levine: Total self-indulgence here ... One of my favourite ten Motorcity tracks ever, this has been totally and sadly neglected over the years. Recorded about ten years ago when Motorcity was on the wane, Jake Jacas was a British black singer who was signed to Motown, and in fact was the only UK black artist to be signed to the US company, directly via the Los Angeles office. He had a very unusual Will Downing-husky kind of voice, and Billy Griffin came over from California, and we recorded a whole album on him which actually got only as far as the sleeve, until Hot Records in Miami put it out several years later. However, this particular track didn't even make the album and was left in an unfinished state for many years, until I rediscovered it, forgetting how good it was. It was originally written for Frankie Gaye, but never got finished by Frankie. Pat Lewis did all the backing vocals, and Jake did the lead vocal. And what a fabulous track it is. It sums up all those old Brunswick, Chicago fingersnappers with Jackie Wilson/Jackie Ross/Leroy Taylor type of arrangements and is one of my personal favourites and one of my finest hours that I've ever achieved.

Hi Soren,

Well.....several years ago, it was actually you who kindly emailed me a copy listing of Ian Levine's recordings, which included 'Motorcity Project 1989/1992'.

Under the artist name 'Jake Jacas', is listed "Two Way Street" [Motorcity MOTC 74 - Unreleased Motorcity LP], followed a group of ten listed recordings, including 'Don't Know When To Dance'.

As there is then a clear gap on the page before another twelve tracks are listed, I had of course assumed that the first ten recordings listed were scheduled for that unreleased 'Two Way Street' album.

Also...while I have never seen a full track listing for 'Best Of Motorcity' Vol 44, I was sharing the information which is also noted alongside the line entry within that listing for 'Don't Know When To Dance'.

If that information, apart from what you have included above, has now been updated in some way, I would be very interested to know how to have sight of it.

Well.....several years ago, it was actually you who kindly emailed me a copy listing of Ian Levine's recordings, which included 'Motorcity Project 1989/1992'.
    Oh gosh, I never realised Will you reveal your name, just out of interest? I am afraid the Volumes 21-45 annotations were the ones I had made for myself only, so they are not official as I hadn't found the tracklisting while sorting through Ian's never-ending archives.

No problem, Soren...I will send you a PM