[REMOVE ADS]

Why didn't smokey write something for claudette?

Yes i know that smokey was the unquestioned leader of the miracles, but what i've wondered about is with his prolific songwriting skills for the ladies of motown did he ever give thought to trying to get a hit for his wife, or was there an agreement that there would only be one star in the family? Claudette had a nice voice so i'm just asking..anyone know?

Claudette had had multiple miscarriages and it caused her to leave the road. Possibly the thought of a potential hit that would cause her to possibly return to the road wasn't a priority for them.

I remember reading in the 80s that Smokey was working on some things for Claudette but I don't think anything was released.

Thanks reese!

He duets with Claudette on "Wine, Women and Song" from his 1980 album, Warm Thoughts.

Sweet track!

In the beginning, Smokey actually did intend to write material for Claudette that would put her out front a bit more. The reason why he didn't compose for her more frequently was due to her reluctance to being in the spotlight. In fact, some of the songs Mary Wells winded up singing were intended for Claudette initially. She just wasn't interested in distinguishing herself by singing lead on an album cut here and there. But Smokey [[and Berry Gordy occasionally) had every intention on featuring her more. Here's a few titles[[Writing/Producing not restricted to Essar):

* He Don't Care About Me

*Father Dear [[Originally Recorded by Freda Payne, But Remains Unreleased)

*My Heart Says Yes

*Easy Street[[Dominant Vocal Presence here)

*Mr.Misery[[Let Me Be)
    Last edited by Quinn; 02-26-2023 at 04:06 PM.

Here honey, I wrote a song with you in mind:

“HE DON’T CARE ABOUT ME “….

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Here honey, I wrote a song with you in mind:

“HE DON’T CARE ABOUT ME “….
    HaHa! How tender & romantic!

"Father Dear was issued by The Miracles Ft Claudette Robinson when the "Miracles 35th Anniversary set Unissued in 1997". [I have it somewhere.]

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-27-2023 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    "Father Dear was issued by The Miracles Ft Claudette Robinson when the "Miracles 35th Anniversary set Unissued in 1997". I have it somewhere.
    You are correct that the Claudette-led "Father Dear" was released on the 35th Anniversary set, but I think the OP meant that the Freda Payne version remains unreleased.
    Last edited by danman869; 02-27-2023 at 01:46 PM.

"After All" always a favorite and their duet of "If I Were A Bell" too!

Claudette could almost have a full album with her lead vocals for The Miracles. Taking in all the above mentioned track it would look like this;

'After All' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson lead) 1960
    'He Don't Care About Me' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson lead) 1962
    'Speak Low' - The Miracles [[Smokey Robinson & Claudette Robinson lead) 1962
    'Easy Street' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson & Bobby Rogers lead) 1963
    'If I Were a Bell' - The Miracles [[Smokey Robinson & Claudette Robinson lead) 1963
    'My Heart Saya Yes' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson lead) 1963
    'The Wah Watusi' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson lead) 1963
    'Father Dear' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson lead) 1963
    'Mrister Misery' - The Miracles [[Claudette Robinson lead) 1963
    Bonus track:
    'Wine, Women and Song' - Smokey Robinson & Claudette Robinson [[1980)

Claudette is also clearly audible on the recordings where The Miracles do the backing vocals for Debbie Dean's 'Don't Let Him Shope Around' and Mickey McCullers 'Who You Gonna Run To'. Her soft warm yet high vocal tone alsways placed a distinctive perfect hrmony bridge to Smokey's falsetto and the other Miracles. A sweet soul voice that would have sat perfectly on 1964-1968 recordings. But as the true Queen she is, family came first.

Claudette also recorded her version of 'Ooo Baby Baby' in 2005. I'm sure everything she recoded for Motown has been released but does anyone else have a favourite or memorable Claudette performnce?

June 20th:

Happy Birthday to Claudette Rogers Robinson [Claudette Annette Rogers Robinson].....

The First Lady Of Motown..

I recall this very question being put to Smokey in a Blues & Soul interview in the 80s. He said Claudette wanted to record solo and he’d started writing & recording several songs on her but for various reasons never completed them. He’d get round to it one day. Seems that day never came.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    I recall this very question being put to Smokey in a Blues & Soul interview in the 80s. He said Claudette wanted to record solo and he’d started writing & recording several songs on her but for various reasons never completed them. He’d get round to it one day. Seems that day never came.
    Because it was the day between Sunday and Monday.

Mr Misery is a great track