[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mystery, I'm still wondering... Did I answer your question satisfactorily regarding the 6 CDs at the top.of page 79?

Yes PMJ I'm clear that the pictures of those 6 albums were of the UK versions [[and in that case your Marv Johnson one probably has the same catalogue number as the one I have and the excellent liner notes by Graham Betts whereas the other 5 won't).

This is the Marv Johnson one I have https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57708789784141

It also seems that nowhere were there 50 volumes of "The Best Of Motorcity" released [[but presumablyy all the tracks have been released in one form or another - although bearing in mind 50 x16 = 800 tracks that's a big ask).

Motorcity tracks have appeared on a plethora of different labels over the years - Ian Levine must have recouped his money from these although I don't know what the artists would have recieved from all the re-issues and mp3s etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes PMJ I'm clear that the pictures of those 6 albums were of the UK versions [[and in that case your Marv Johnson one probably has the same catalogue number as the one I have and the excellent liner notes by Graham Betts whereas the other 5 won't).

This is the Marv Johnson one I have https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57708789784141

It also seems that nowhere were there 50 volumes of "The Best Of Motorcity" released [[but presumablyy all the tracks have been released in one form or another - although bearing in mind 50 x16 = 800 tracks that's a big ask).

Motorcity tracks have appeared on a plethora of different labels over the years - Ian Levine must have recouped his money from these although I don't know what the artists would have recieved from all the re-issues and mp3s etc.
    Yes, Mystery, my copy of Marv Johnson's "The Very Best" is identical to yours including the Graham Betts booklet notes. The catalog # of mine is 30359 90032.

Another update for Kenny.....

Track list: 'The Essential Jimmy Ruffin'

[re-recordings from 2000; playing right now, here at WestGrand Heights.....
    ]

What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted 3.14
    Farewell Is A Lonely Sound 3.06
    As Long As There Is L-O-V-E, Love 3.06
    Don't You Miss Me A Little Bit Baby 3.16

Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got 2.52
    Hold On To My Love 4.10
    I'll Say Forever My Love 3.22
    I've Passed This Way Before 3.07
    On The Rebound [new arrangement; almost completely a solo version] 3.39

Wake Me Up When It's Over [new arrangement) 3.37
    Tell Me What You Want 3.10
    There Will Never Be Another You 4.46
    It's Wonderful To Be Loved By You 2.58
    Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby 2.54

Also recorded, but not included on this album was 'One In A Million', 3.59......

@WestGrandBoulevard,

Thanks! I’m going to seek out those tracks.

Gary will be posting all his Motor City individual artist CDs, which I am anxious to see as well to see what he has. I’m sure he has nearly everything that was available at the time. I am anxious to see from the catalog all the individual artists. I’ve been enjoying the tracks by Jake Jacas and Joe Stubbs which are all new discoveries for me. The backgrounds seem to be less intrusive on these artists than some others and I’ve really enjoyed some of the tracks I’ve heard. Maybe some of their tracks were also re-recorded or remixed with sparser backgrounds, as you indicate many of them were.

Of course I love Jimmy Ruffin, so I’ll be anxious to hear how he sounds. I’m sure he stayed in great voice, he had a fantastic voice, and I always liked him a lot especially his late Motown album “The Groove Governor.”

Thanks again.

Jake Jacas was younger that the 'golden age' Motown artists, and had a release on Motown only a few years before the Motorcity project.

Yes, his Motorcity releases tended not to have the typical Motorcity sound. They were produced by Billy Griffin and/or Ian Levine.

And they also featured light background harmonies between him and Billy Griffin.....

Jimmy Ruffin's CD is interesting. Generally very nicely done.....and the female background voices on some tracks do sound decidedly familiar.....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Another update for Kenny.....

Track list: 'The Essential Jimmy Ruffin'

[re-recordings from 2000; playing right now, here at WestGrand Heights.....
    ]

What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted 3.14
    Farewell Is A Lonely Sound 3.06
    As Long As There Is L-O-V-E, Love 3.06
    Don't You Miss Me A Little Bit Baby 3.16

Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got 2.52
    Hold On To My Love 4.10
    I'll Say Forever My Love 3.22
    I've Passed This Way Before 3.07
    On The Rebound [new arrangement; almost completely a solo version] 3.39

Wake Me Up When It's Over [new arrangement) 3.37
    Tell Me What You Want 3.10
    There Will Never Be Another You 4.46
    It's Wonderful To Be Loved By You 2.58
    Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby 2.54

Also recorded, but not included on this album was 'One In A Million', 3.59......
    WGB - are these actually Ian Levine Motorcity recordings? I'd convinced myself that they were separately re-recorded by Jimmy Ruffin in 2000. They are very good recordings of his own hits and whilst there are even 2 Ian Levine compositions on this set, nothing sounds at all to me like Motorcity. Also, there's no indication on the CD of Ian's involvement in these re-recordings. Brenda doesn't appear on "On The Rebound". Mind you I had no knowledge of the re-recording of "One In A Million" either. Happy to be convinced otherwise. The set is certainly a good listen.

Here's the artwork ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720306350856

Mystery,

Yes, these are indeed Ian Levine recordings.....and the title of this thread is actually '....The Musical World Of Ian Levine'.....so they do seem to fit.

I'm looking at a listing which I believe originated many years ago from Ian Levine [something like 85 pages..!.] which does include all the Motorcity tracks, these Jimmy Ruffin tracks, and all Ian's other work.

Yes, of course, the Jimmy Ruffin tracks were re-recorded in 2000, so not absolutely strictly part of the original Motorcity project 1989-1992, as could not have been first released within that timescale. Or, therefore, listed as such.

But since Motorcity tracks are subject to being updated, and many of them after these Jimmy Ruffin tracks were recorded, these tracks seem to fit in well with Ian Levine's portfolio. It's been thirty years since the first Motorcity tracks were released. It often interests me how many of his non-Motorcity tracks, particularly updated versions, actually sound virtually indistinguishable from those which were released under the label 'Motorcity'.

Two tracks here ['On The Rebound' and 'Wake Me Up'] were originally Nightmare label recordings. [I have read that Ian Levine renamed Nightmare label to 'Motorcity', but am not entirely sure if that is strictly correct].

You'll know about the Nightmare titles, I think..and also know that they, and a number of other Nightmare label recordings were subsequently re-released on the Motorcity label. So I think it is realistic to regard those tracks as 'Motorcity' titles.

I believe there are elements of the original Nightmare tracks on both 'On The Rebound' and 'Wake Me Up'. Some of the 'instrumentation', and background voices..possibly at least some of Jimmy's vocals. I would need to listen again.

On my list, both 'On The Rebound' 'and 'Wake Me Up' bear a note 'new mix'. I amended that to 'new arrangement' in my post above, because I felt that was more accurate...and that those two specific tracks were not simply a remix of the first versions....but there actually does seem to be an element of 'remix'.

I believe Brenda Holloway's voice is actually heard on 'On The Rebound'......but, in reality, no more than a 'sample'. For example, the line "But you made me feel like never before, never before, never before...." and also her voice is there, but mixed well down in other parts of the song. Her voice sounds as though an effect has been used on it...and also on Jimmy's voice, in places.

Also, are you not hearing Ian Levine's signature sampled 'drum roll', as particularly used in his reworked versions? It is definitely there...if only on certain tracks.

As you say, it's a good listen....so all in all, well worth being considered 'with' the Motorcity recordings, even if not fully 'of'.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 02-28-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Well that's great, you learn something everyday. These are really good recordings and, in truth, always thought they were too good to be from Ian Levine. I do recommend this CD as it shows what really could be achieved. I must listen in full again.

Funnily enough that signature drum roll can also be heard on Petula Clark's video "Downtown 99" [[a la Motorcity).

Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-28-2023 at 06:37 PM.

Mystery....

I have to say I was also pleasantly surprised and impressed.

When you do listen in full, see if you think you too can hear The Andantes on some of the tracks.

I feel I can identify those backing vocals recorded by UK session singers.
    And there may also be some extra voices added to those.....

But if it isn't The Andantes on certain tracks [be that with or without Pat Lewis, and I don't think I hear her singing multi-tracked as 'The Andantes') then the voices are remarkably similar to Louvain, Marlene and Jackie....for one thing, the voices on some of the re-recorded tracks sound very similar to the original recordings...and that is not always the case with re-recordings.

But if it is indeed The Andantes....I then find myself wondering how they came to be on there...and were they actually still working in 2000.

Or were the tracks perhaps partially or completely recorded about 10 years previously, and maybe finished later......

It seems a little odd that Jimmy Ruffin didn't record more for Nightmare/Motorcity at the time....and then records about a dozen songs for the same producer ten years later....but no doubt there was probably a good reason for that.....

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @WestGrandBoulevard,

Thanks! I’m going to seek out those tracks.

Gary will be posting all his Motor City individual artist CDs, which I am anxious to see as well to see what he has. I’m sure he has nearly everything that was available at the time. I am anxious to see from the catalog all the individual artists. I’ve been enjoying the tracks by Jake Jacas and Joe Stubbs which are all new discoveries for me. The backgrounds seem to be less intrusive on these artists than some others and I’ve really enjoyed some of the tracks I’ve heard. Maybe some of their tracks were also re-recorded or remixed with sparser backgrounds, as you indicate many of them were.

Of course I love Jimmy Ruffin, so I’ll be anxious to hear how he sounds. I’m sure he stayed in great voice, he had a fantastic voice, and I always liked him a lot especially his late Motown album “The Groove Governor.”

Thanks again.
    Hi Kenny & Ian Levine followers! Good news! I'm working on the Motorcity individual-artist CD's. Nearly finished with the album-cover photos. Will be starting the tracklist and audio-links soon. All is going much faster than anticipated! Should have my part completed and ready by or before the weekend. The uploading will, of course, depend on Kenny's schedule.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-01-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Can someone post a list of all of the Martha Reeves [[solo, duets, & with the Vandellas) tracks released through Motorcity? I know there was also a track or two by Lois Reeves, as well as some Vandellas tracks without Martha. I would love to have a list of these tracks and where [[on which albums / CD's) they are available. Can anyone help, please?

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Can someone post a list of all of the Martha Reeves [[solo, duets, & with the Vandellas) tracks released through Motorcity? I know there was also a track or two by Lois Reeves, as well as some Vandellas tracks without Martha. I would love to have a list of these tracks and where [[on which albums / CD's) they are available. Can anyone help, please?
    Did you check Gary’s other thread on this topic where he included the contents and links of the best of series, which was 20 volumes? There were a number of Vandellas and also at least one Lois Reeves track.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ity-Vols-1-20)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Hope this helps......

References shown relate to the Hot Productions 'Best Of Motorcity' series.

The volume numbers quoted [I hope they are correct] are the original allocations, but unfortunately many volumes were never released.

Those tracks shown with an asterisk would have been released on other collections.

If you need more help, just say....

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Heat Wave - Vol 24*
    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Step Into My Shoes - Vol 3
    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Angel In Disguise - Vol 7

Martha Reeves - Number One - Vol 9

Martha Reeves & G. C. Cameron - You're All I Need To Get By - Vol 20

The Vandellas [Rosalind & Annette] - Not Gonna Be Ready - Vol 19
    The Vandellas [Rosalind & Annette] - Running And Hiding - Vol 36*

Betty Kelly - Giving Me The Runaround - Vol 8
    Betty Kelly - I Need To Be Independent - Vol 18

Lois Reeves - Patience Is A Virtue - Vol 4
    Lois Reeves - Sweet Temptation - Vol 41*

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hi Kenny & Ian Levine followers! Good news! I'm working on the Motorcity individual-artist CD's. Nearly finished with the album-cover photos. Will be starting the tracklist and audio-links soon. All is going much faster than anticipated! Should have my part completed and ready by or before the weekend. The uploading will, of course, depend on Kenny's schedule.
    As reported last week, I've been working day and night on the Motorcity Individual-Artist CDs. I had hoped to have this project completed and in Kenny's hands for uploads by this weekend. Unfortunately, however, it's taking much longer than expected. To further complicate matters, I'm expecting an out-of-town guest this coming Monday-Friday. I love this project, and I hope you'll love it, too -- just as much as you enjoyed the "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)" CD's. I'll continue working on this as much as I possibly can while shooting for next weekend as a goal. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    WGB - are these actually Ian Levine Motorcity recordings? I'd convinced myself that they were separately re-recorded by Jimmy Ruffin in 2000. They are very good recordings of his own hits and whilst there are even 2 Ian Levine compositions on this set, nothing sounds at all to me like Motorcity. Also, there's no indication on the CD of Ian's involvement in these re-recordings. Brenda doesn't appear on "On The Rebound". Mind you I had no knowledge of the re-recording of "One In A Million" either. Happy to be convinced otherwise. The set is certainly a good listen.

Here's the artwork ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720306350856
    Just while I am on my own 'Motorcity Review', and 'tracking back' through the recent threads and posts ......[accompanied by a 'backing track' - of course ]....

....I should confirm that the tracks on the Jimmy Ruffin 'Essential' album, as discussed above, do appear to match those on the later released 'Hold On To My Love' album.

And which can be found, with links, on 'The Motorcity Jukebox of Individual Artist CDs' thread...

With the exception of.....

* 'Farewell Is A Lonely Sound' [apparently first recorded for Ian Levine in June 1990, but am unsure if the version on 'Essential' is the same one]

* 'On The Rebound'

- and -

* 'It's Wonderful [To Be Loved By You]'

June 22nd:

Happy Birthday to Ian Levine [Ian Geoffrey Levine]; songwriter, record producer and DJ; Northern Soul; Hi-NRG; Record Shack Records; Nightmare Records; Nightmare Gold; Motorcity; Centre City....

Happy Belated Birthday, Ian! Hope your special day was a wonderful one!