[REMOVE ADS]

VA-Love Is The Message - The Sound of Philadelphia International Volume 3 [7/4/2023]

Info from United Souls-

United Souls, in conjunction with Legacy Recordings, is delighted to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Philadelphia International Records with Love Is The Message - The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Volume 3.

Following on from the huge acclaim for the first two volumes, Love Is The Message contains eight albums on CD and an exclusive 12” vinyl disc.

Presented in a deluxe package with a booklet telling the story of how this iconic label evolved in Philadelphia to become truly international. The notes this time around feature a personal account from writer Tony Cummings who recalls his fascinating visit to the City Of Brotherly Love.

All the music has been remastered from the original master tapes courtesy of Sony Music and Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff who have been personally involved in these landmark anniversary collections.

Love Is The Message follows two previous releases Get On Board The Soul Train and Satisfaction Guaranteed. Those sets cover the first sixteen albums in chronological order from PIR’s first LP Going East by Billy Paul in 1971 through to what was another Billy Paul album in 1973, War Of The Gods.

The start of this collection continues from where the second edition left off, through 1973 to the early releases of 1975. During this period Teddy Pendergrass stayed on as lead singer with Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes. MFSB were the string and horn players alongside an elite rhythm section. With all releases on the label MFSB, were never far away. The Three Degrees who also feature on ‘TSOP’, an era defining track and theme to TV’s Soul Train series. PIR embraced big band with the signing of Thad Jones and Mel Lewis.

Jazz bassist Mont Montgomery also features with his Reality album. Bunny Sigler, who was a so integral to the PIR story with the many compositions, productions and performances he gave them, appears within. The O’Jays fourth album is included, while Billy Paul’s Got My Head On Straight concludes the LP section of the package. The set is rounded off with an exclusive 12” single featuring two of the most recognisable Philly tunes; MFSB feat. The Three Degrees’s ’T.S.O.P.’ and the fantastic ‘Stop And Think’ by The Trammps.

CDs:

1. The Ebonys - The Ebonys
    2. MFSB - Love Is The Message
    3. Bunny Sigler - That's How Long I'll Be Loving You
    4. Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Potpourri
    5. Monk Montgomery - Reality
    6. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes featuring Theodore Pendergrass - To Be True
    7. The O'Jays - Survival
    8. Billy Paul - Got My Head On Straight

12”

A
    1. MFSB feat. The Three Degrees - T.S.O.P. [The Sound of Philadelphia] [A Tom Moulton Mix]

B
    1. The Trammps - Stop And Think

Release date is April 7, 2023.

Pre-order from Burning Shed UK here [other online shops should offer this set soon]-
    https://burningshed.com/store/united...message_boxset

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-24-2023 at 05:58 AM.

i noticed the first 2 volumes have already come down in price so maybe this time I will wait before pre-ordering.

Thanks Eddie, I was beginning to think "that all folks." I wonder what's up with the book and the documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I wonder what's up with the book and the documentary?
    I wonder too what's going on with the Documentary & the Book they were planning for Philly International [especially in light of the passing of Thom Bell].

Amazon is now taking pre-orders for Love Is The Message: The Sound of Philadelphia Vol. 3-
    USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BV7HHRX3/?tag=thesecdis-20
    Canada
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BV7HHRX3/?tag=thesecdis02-20
    UK [currently listing the set as "out of stock" at this time]
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BV7HHR...g=the2nddis-21