[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Like many of my peers who loved Motown and the Supremes, I never developed an appreciation for show tunes and standards until the Supremes started including them on their albums and tv performances.

My main issue with the wonderfully recorded "Funny Girl" album is not the music itself; however, that the ladies [[or Diana, I should say) performed the "I'm the Greatest Star" during the "Funny Girl" medley on the Ed Sullivan show.

At that time, I didn't know the story behind the musical, so I viewed Diana's performance as a personal egotistical declaration of her greatness. I cringed that Mary and Cindy had to sway behind her in a 'worshipful stance' as she declared, "I'm the Greatest Star!"

So yes, the "Funny Girl" album was definitely a Diana Ross vehicle, and Mary and Cindy were riding in the caboose attached to her elongated train. Please note that my opinion is not meant to minimize Diana's talent, but to point out that this project, squeezed among their many other recordings released at the time, was extra clutter from a group perspective. It did not elevate the dynamics of the group.
    yeah i had the same feeling. it's just to blatant of a statement and without the full context of the show setting, it does come across as borderline inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the show itself. It is, in essence, a "one woman show," and so closely identified with Streisand that until recently I don't believe it had ever been revived on Broadway. Even then it seems, the lead was replaced by another performer who "sold" the show better than the first actress in the role. Far from being an ensemble cast, and although Streisand's talent is impossible to deny, it makes watching the film difficult for me as I'm not a diehard Barbra fan. Omar Sharif seems to suffer the most. Of course he looks fantastic but it seems all they gave him to do was chuckle at Streisand's one liners.
    The first-ever Broadway revival of the beloved musical will have played 599 performances by its final bow this fall. It closes Sept 3d. I never saw the original on Broadway, but would like to see this before it closes

https://playbill.com/article/funny-g...ybillPost_CHTR

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The first-ever Broadway revival of the beloved musical will have played 599 performances by its final bow this fall. It closes Sept 3d. I never saw the original on Broadway, but would like to see this before it closes

https://playbill.com/article/funny-g...ybillPost_CHTR
    I saw it last Thanksgiving. It was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I saw it last Thanksgiving. It was really good.
    Ramin Karmaloo was a fantastic Phantom, but I wonder, did they manage to build up his part at all? As I had commented above, they gave Omar Sharif little to do in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Ramin Karmaloo was a fantastic Phantom, but I wonder, did they manage to build up his part at all? As I had commented above, they gave Omar Sharif little to do in the movie.
    I've never seen the movie.

I love "The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl". Gil Askey's arrangements are jazzy and Broadway. It feels like a cabaret night with hints of the vibe from music halls- Who remembers music halls?