[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: chuck Jackson

chuck Jackson

rip ...apparently Chuck Jackson died on 16 February.
    can anybody confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    rip ...apparently Chuck Jackson died on 16 February.
    can anybody confirm?
    Can't find anything online pertaining to Chuck Jackson's death on Thurs. 2/16/23 at this time. Maybe it's just a rumor; fingers crossed.

PS: Just found confirmation that indeed we've lost Chuck Jackson. Thanks to resse & copley for their posts confirming the tragic news.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-20-2023 at 07:35 AM.

So sad, another hero we have lost, his Wand records fantastic and his time with Motown, his stunning 45's & albums. My favourite 45. Bless him and RIP.

I just woke up to read this sad news on Facebook. May he R.I.P.

Sorry to hear about Chuck Jackson! That's another Pioneer of Music that we've lost. RIP Chuck Jackson.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-20-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Sorry to learn of the passing of Chuck Jackson. He came in one night to the fledgling Tera Shirma Studio A for a vocal session.He was such a gentleman that night. Total pro. Rest in peace Chuck.
    Last edited by ralpht; 02-20-2023 at 09:53 AM.

So sorry to hear this. One of the truly unsung giants of soul music.

Fun fact: He was the brother-in-law of legendary actress Rosalind Cash. Her sister, Helen, preceded him in death by almost 10 years.

Rest In Peace Chuck Jackson.I'm sad I never got to see him perform LIVE. I always heard how great he was on stage.Thanks for the GREAT records.

All deaths of Soul legends are very sad, but THIS is the one I've dreaded.
    So many great records. I need to do a tribute on my radio show, BUT where do you start?

Very sad this news

Very sad, I was just listening to his first Motown lp "Arrives" a couple weeks ago.

I never understood why Motown signed him. They did nothing with or for him. Years after he left Motown he said the same thing, they had him record tons of material, issue some of it with no promotion at all.

I guess by the time he got there he had to compete with the likes of Marvin, Stevie, Jimmy, David, Edwin et al. He clearly got hand-me-down material.

In listening to "Arrives" I came away thinking he had a strong vocal but the material was just so bland. Some of the tracks didn't even seem finished. He surely would have done better at another label, like Capitol or Philly Intl. Motown was crowded in the late 60s

In any event, it's another legend lost.

So sad to loose another one. RIP

Bayoumotownman, I tend to agree, have been listening to his Motown Anthology. Great voice but the material handed to him while at Motown, he deserved better.

I don't agree that he was given hand me down material.
    IMHO his 3 albums compare with ANY Motown recordings

Here's one of my favourite WAND tracks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8iAJVKBWH8

RIP Chuck Jackson. :[[

Wasn't Smokey the one who was credited with getting Chuck to sign with Motown? Perhaps Smokey promised a lot of support [songwriting, production] to Chuck and the deal became almost irresistible? Then, once he was signed and started recording, all that was promised evaporated? It's one thing when a Motown successful artist[s] looks back on their time at Motown with negativity, but... it's pretty sad when an unsuccessful Motown artist says, "it was the worst mistake I ever made." Hindsight is always 20/20, but one would think that in early 1967, Chuck looked at Motown as being a highly successful black-owned record label--so things could only get better with his career...and then he signed and it went nothing like he'd hoped or expected.

I always have enjoyed Mr. Jackson's Motown material--even if some of it was not considered top-shelf compared to what his successful label-mates were doing at the same time. He certainly was worthy of success at Motown. Sadly, for him [and so many others], it just didn't happen. I thank him for all his music--before, during, and after.

Another sad loss of a great former Motown artist. Truth is my favourite track of his was recorded at All Platinum - "I've Got The Need". But "Girls, Girls, Girls" is a close second.

There does often seem to be the impression that certain Motown executives, in signing acts like Chuck Jackson, were principally interested in having them join the company simply to promote the song titles from the Jobete publishing arm, to generate additional revenue.

The careers of at least some of the individual acts did not seem to be the top priority with Motown, as much as promoting the general interests of the company.

The name and industry experience of Chuck J. must have seemed a good fit, for it to be suggested that he sign with Motown. He was an established name in the entertainment industry, and with some previous success. He then recorded many songs for Motown, much of them released as singles and albums, and which then gave him material to promote. In addition, there were trade press announcements making it known he had signed with the company. So I guess that would have made it easier for Motown to get him stage work and promotional appearances, and hopefully prolong his entertainment career.

I actually do think Chuck's recordings are very good in their own right, despite also being recorded by others. Released by almost any other company, his Anthology collection would have been exceptional. Despite the competition from within Motown, there must have been some degree of potential for him to succeed and, had that been achieved, maybe there would then have been more original material made available for him.

But yes, it does seem as if the management at Motown never really envisioned their working relationship with Chuck Jackson reaching great heights, and that there was never any realistic expectation of this. All to do with the business side of entertainment, and he was maybe signed simply to make up the numbers of acts associated with Motown...and eventually destined to become a company write-off.

I can understand Chuck Jackson being personally disappointed that he did not become as big a star as he would have wished, and with an income to match, but there still seems to be much in the experience which could, and perhaps should have permitted him some sense of satisfaction.

Although I wish he could have achieved greater success and reward from his time with Motown, I appreciate Chuck Jackson's recorded legacy.

I am sorry to hear he has now passed, and will remember his career with fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    So sorry to hear this. One of the truly unsung giants of soul music.

Fun fact: He was the brother-in-law of legendary actress Rosalind Cash. Her sister, Helen, preceded him in death by almost 10 years.
    Sharon Cash of Honey Cone fame was also Helen's sister. Helen told us fans this fact when she came with Chuck the year he performed at Northampton.

I think Motown signed alot of these "outside" artists so they would not be competition. It seems I read that in a Motown book.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Sharon Cash of Honey Cone fame was also Helen's sister. Helen told us fans this fact when she came with Chuck the year he performed at Northampton.
    Get outta here! I've only known Roz to have had 3 siblings: Helen, John Jr. and Robert. Could Sharon have been a step- or half-sibling?

I think that Chuck was friendly with Smokey in the early 60s, and that Smokey told him that if things at Scepter/Wand were not working out, he should contact Smokey with a view to joining Motown.
    But, when he did, circa 1967 , Motown was in turmoil with DRATS/Florence issues, HDH going on strike and general unhappiness around the Company due to salaries etc.
    He just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    But, for me, his 3 albums are treasured items.
    RIP Chuck Jackson

I think that Chuck was friendly with Smokey in the early 60s, and that Smokey told him that if things at Scepter/Wand were not working out, he should contact Smokey with a view to joining Motown.
    But, when he did, circa 1967 , Motown was in turmoil with DRATS/Florence issues, HDH going on strike and general unhappiness around the Company due to salaries etc.
    He just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    But, for me, his 3 albums are treasured items.
    RIP Chuck Jackson
    I agree and I think his last album was my favourite

Hello Crosstown.
    That night at Northampton was a night I'll never forget.

Chuck Jackson at Northern Soul Weekender 2009.
    Just watch Chuck's joy at seeing an audience who actually know his songs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8k_kBeenZI

All over the world.

a " new" record at the time....Chuck telling the audience he needs help ...a true professional.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDaFgAFZRk

I got the need

Chuck telling the audience if he gets stuck, he can fall back on them.

How he must have loved yhe fact the his recordings were loved so much

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z3uWLQW3Mo

I love Chuck Jackson's Motown material. In fact, I think Smokey's "[[You Can't Let The Boy Overpower) The Man In You" is one of the coolest records Smokey ever produced at Motown. May Chuck rest in peace forevermore.

Never heard this treatment of my favorite song by Chuck:

This is sad news. :[

I think all of Chuck's Motown material is excellent. Some of my favourite tracks... "Lonely Lonely Man Am I", "To See The Sun Again" and "Have You Heard About The Fool"...

I don't know all of his pre- and post-Motown recordings, so I need to check them out some more.

RIP Chuck... soul legend!!

Thanks snake. I really need to get all of his Wand recordings.

Tom
    You REALLY do ....ok..some stuff a bit off track...but most of his 60s ....great CDs out there.
    A tribute on my show...Soulful Shack next week

Tom
    You REALLY do ....ok..some stuff a bit off track...but most of his 60s ....great CDs out there.
    A tribute on my show...Soulful Shack next week
    I will have to!! Do you know of any good sets that have all of his Wand albums and/or singles?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-24-2023 at 08:34 AM.

Tom
    there a number of compilations, and the sets issued by Ace/Kent are very good.
    "good things" is an example, but as I say, a number of cds out there.
    try To google a search.....you'll see quite a few

Tom
    there a number of compilations, and the sets issued by Ace/Kent are very good.
    "good things" is an example, but as I say, a number of cds out there.
    try To google a search.....you'll see quite a few
    Ok, thanks! I’m a bit of a completist, so I want all of his recordings or none at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Another sad loss of a great former Motown artist. Truth is my favourite track of his was recorded at All Platinum - "I've Got The Need". But "Girls, Girls, Girls" is a close second.
    I loved that one too Mystery. I was only listening to the Smooth smooth Jackson compilation cd just the other day.

What??? Dang another legend gone...one of the best ever, chuck"s [wand]recordings are legend....any day now- if i didn't love you- i wake up crying[my fav] when i was a kid i would play this song over an over...great soul man...r.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ok, thanks! I’m a bit of a completist, so I want all of his recordings or none at all!!
    Over the years, Kent has released all* of Chuck's Wand recordings on CD. I would recommend starting with “Good Things” compilation. It has many of the best songs on it, and you'll need it for a complete collection anyway. After that, all ten of his Wand LPs are available on five 2-fer CDs; and the compilation “Big New York Soul” collects most of the remaining odd and ends. To [[basically) complete* the collection, “I Will Never Turn My Back On You” can be found on the CD, “Birth of Soul, Volume 3”.

* Two more b-sides, “Just a Little Bit of Soul” and “Yah”, are instrumentals. They can be found on Tomato Records compilation “The Great Recordings”. Also, the 2-fers are the stereo LPs. Sometimes the mono versions have a different vocal take or whatever. The compilations “Good Things” and “Big NY Soul” are mostly made up of mono mixes.

Absolutely brilliant. Thanks a million TrulyYours!!!

There are many of his CD's, I have most of his pre motown 45's and Albums, however I found that The Kent Cd's are well worth it, also the EP collection and Motown's superb 2CD Anthology set with all of the 3 Motown Albums & 12 previously unissued tracks, if you don't already have it.

Attachment 20528
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-18-2023 at 06:03 AM.

July 22nd:

On his Birthday, remembering Chuck Jackson [1937-2023]......