[REMOVE ADS]

Stephanie Mills on Playing Dorothy in OG 'The Wiz', Why Diana Ross Was Cast for the F

It must have been heartbreaking for Stephanie to have been denied the chance to star in the film version of a show she had worked so very hard to make a success. Especially when the person being gifted the role was thirteen years older.
    You can tell that even after all these years it still hurts.

I am not sure that is true. Stephanie was a big Diana Ross fan and did not have any desire to play Dorothy on film. She had played the role on Broadway. She has been asked this question many times and has never said or indicated any bad feelings toward Motown, Berry Gordy or Diana.

Name:  fc8231c2725b573cc0b2a719300796c8.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  31.9 KB
    Last edited by captainjames; 02-19-2023 at 08:44 PM.

There are many Broadway to film ventures that did not transfer the original Broadway actors to the movie. Stephanie's maturity resulted in maintaining a professional contact with Ms. Ross.
    Overall, the film was too long, too much drama, poorly edited and poorly photographed. Diana Ross' singing is superb and her acting is sincere. I wish some of the pathos scenes were shortened. If another studio bought the film and remastered it ,with magical editing, it would become more enjoyable.
    "The Wiz" soundtrack is one of my favorite albums. The orchestrations and vocals are "Fine".

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I am not sure that is true. Stephanie was a big Diana Ross fan and did not have any desire to play Dorothy on film. She had played the role on Broadway. She has been asked this question many times and has never said or indicated any bad feelings toward Motown, Berry Gordy or Diana.]
    Stephanie Mills was never interested in staring in the film version of The Wiz, being delighted Diana got the part as she was a huge fan. I know you apologists have rather vivid and colourful imaginations, but that really has to rate as being one of the most far fetched fairytales in the history of excuses. LOL.

I've never heard Stephanie say she didn't want the film role. I imagine she was extremely disappointed that it didn't go to her and to make matters worse, it went to someone that the filmmakers had to basically re-write the story to fit because she had "long" ago aged out of the role. I don't think Stephanie really had a chance in hell of getting the role no matter what, Hollywood being a place that was not welcoming to someone of Stephanie's complexion and phenotype.

Stephanie, though, has never said a negative word about Diana that I've ever heard. I think she has remained highly respectful and a fan.

Case in point: Comparing Diana Ross to Beyonce

Thanks RanRan I was going to post part 2 this morning but then I said why bother some folks will continue to believe what they think. Vesta Williams use to sing background for Stephanie Mills and Chaka Khan and Vesta and I were extremely close so I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Stephanie. She is so down to earth and gifted and I will save saved. Stephanie has never mumbled a word about wanting to play Dorothy in the Wiz on film.Motown bought the rights and Motown had Stephanie under contract I believe. The time line escape me after all these years. Stephanie and Diana were both older and the script would have to be written regardless. At any rate the interview speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks RanRan I was going to post part 2 this morning but then I said why bother some folks will continue to believe what they think. Vesta Williams use to sing background for Stephanie Mills and Chaka Khan and Vesta and I were extremely close so I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Stephanie. She is so down to earth and gifted and I will save saved. Stephanie has never mumbled a word about wanting to play Dorothy in the Wiz on film.Motown bought the rights and Motown had Stephanie under contract I believe. The time line escape me after all these years. Stephanie and Diana were both older and the script would have to be written regardless. At any rate the interview speaks for itself.
    I seem to be missing something here. What exactly is meant by some folks will believe what they will?.
    Stephanie Mills has never once been quoted as saying she would not liked to have been cast as Dorothy in the film version of The Wiz. Your simply putting words in her mouth.
    She obviously respected Diana, but that was never a point in contention. Judging by Stephanie’s retelling in this interview, i would say it still stings just a little.
    As for both women being to old for the script, Diana was 33 with Stephanie a mere twenty. A considerable difference I would say.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-20-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Even Judy garland was pushing the envelope for the role at her age …. so Diana in her mid thirties meant needing to abandon an important element by changing her character into a spinster school teacher .

what exactly is the films message?
    It makes sense that a young kid in spite of her adventures , her innocence prevails and she yearns to go home.

That Diana Ross wants to also in spite of her adventures in new places with new friends replete with singing and dancing and floating space babies ,that all she gets from it all is that she wants to go home to a life she’s outgrown and had run away from, well by distorting the character in an important way , her age, Ross has turned Dorothy into a tragic and somewhat pathetic figure.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-21-2023 at 02:44 AM.

I always thought The Wiz was boring and I’d rather listen to the music on a CD rather than have to hear it in the movie, but it is now Diana Ross’s most commercially successful movie and sadly for the fans, she is better known for The Wiz than Lady or Out of Darkness

Why is it so popular especially with the black audience?

Wink

the teen-age-teen-age-teen-age-teen-agers who liked jackson 5 or supremes wanted to see it. Everyone else? Grease.

Sorry, couldn't resist that bad Tin Man impression LOL.

The Wiz is popular now, but I think that is mainly due to Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow. In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy was a young wide eyed innocent learning to appreciate that there was no place like home. Critics felt that Diana Ross was miscast and since the role had to be change to a schoolteacher perhaps so. Plus, she did not convey a youthful wide eyed innocence needed for the role. She was absolutely brilliant in her debut Lady Sings The Blues and did a decent job in Mahogany but her take in The Wiz seemed like she spent the entire time moping around and unsure of herself. I remember reading something in a review that she shouldn't have killed the Wicked witch of the West but the Wicked witch of EST. At the time that was a popular theory by Werner Ehrhard that Ross also felt was important in taking control of her life. It may have worked for her personally but it didn't in the context of the film and her performance. The film actually was written with Ross and Joel Schumaker putting a lot of heavy handed est messages in the dialogue. Her performance was actually dreary. I am sure Stephanie Mills has no regrets not being in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    The Wiz is popular now, but I think that is mainly due to Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow. In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy was a young wide eyed innocent learning to appreciate that there was no place like home. Critics felt that Diana Ross was miscast and since the role had to be change to a schoolteacher perhaps so. Plus, she did not convey a youthful wide eyed innocence needed for the role. She was absolutely brilliant in her debut Lady Sings The Blues and did a decent job in Mahogany but her take in The Wiz seemed like she spent the entire time moping around and unsure of herself. I remember reading something in a review that she shouldn't have killed the Wicked witch of the West but the Wicked witch of EST. At the time that was a popular theory by Werner Ehrhard that Ross also felt was important in taking control of her life. It may have worked for her personally but it didn't in the context of the film and her performance. The film actually was written with Ross and Joel Schumaker putting a lot of heavy handed est messages in the dialogue. Her performance was actually dreary. I am sure Stephanie Mills has no regrets not being in the film.
    I sense there are regrets Jim as with Stephanie it would have been an entirely different film altogether.
    I agree 100% on your observations regarding Diana’s performance. I remember one particular review which described Diana as looking forty but acting like a five year old.........Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    in this interview, clearly Stephanie Mills is not pleased with Diana’s stealing of the role that was hers to lose. She does not say Diana rightly got the part and worked magic with it.
    The entire time they are on the subject Mills is gritting her smile and wringing her hands.
    Unfortunately they partially edited some of her response to just one word, "yeah”, so all that she said is not heard.

However, Stephanie is quick to point out they had to re-tailor the role to suit Diana's age , and also points out that Diana was much older, even exaggerating Diana's age as 36, I guess to drive home the point even harder.
    For the musical, Stephanie was chosen to be Dorothy, because she fit the part completely, and her petite-ness facilitated that little girl imagery.

Despite what she may or may not say now, Miss Mills was likely not the least bit feeling warm and fuzzy by Miss Ross' using her power for her grabby maneuvering.

Although:
    when Stephanie saw the end results of the movie, she no doubt thought, " Whew , that was a close one. Far better that's her up there than me!!!"

>>>Steph’s comments are actually in the part two segment posted further above
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-22-2023 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    in this interview, clearly Stephanie Mills is not pleased with Diana’s stealing of the role that was hers to lose. She does not say Diana rightly got the part and worked magic with it.
    The entire time they are on the subject Mills is gritting her smile and wringing her hands.
    Unfortunately they partially edited some of her response to just one word, "yeah”, so all that she said is not heard.

However, Stephanie is quick to point out they had to re-tailor the role to suit Diana's age , and also points out that Diana was much older, even exaggerating Diana's age as 36, I guess to drive home the point even harder.
    For the musical, Stephanie was chosen to be Dorothy, because she fit the part completely, and her petite-ness facilitated that little girl imagery.

Despite what she may or may not say now, Miss Mills was likely not the least bit feeling warm and fuzzy by Miss Ross' using her power for her grabby maneuvering.

Although:
    when Stephanie saw the end results of the movie, she no doubt thought, " Whew , that was a close one. Far better that's her up there than me!!!"

>>>Steph’s comments are actually in the part two segment posted further above
    That’s an honest and accurate summary Boog. M’s Mills clearly has respect for Diana as a performer, but as is rather obvious from this interview, missing out on the role she helped make famous remains a painful memory.
    In all honesty, i don’t think the outcome of the movie would have changed how incredibly sad and disappointed she must have felt.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-23-2023 at 06:38 AM.

I agree Ollie this was no small part [pun intended] of her career…

So was
    1)Stephanie dating Michael at the time because he might be her inroad to the Wiz movie role.
    2) Michael dating Stephanie at the time because she might be his inroad to the Wiz movie role
    3) Neither, that was all a secondary coincidence.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-24-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I seem to be missing something here. What exactly is meant by some folks will believe what they will?...
    Wasn't there a cynical theory at the time that Motown had signed Stephanie specifically to gag her from complaining too much if and when the part got given to Diana?

Stephanie Mills is in good company of people not getting their signature Broadway roles in the movie version:

Carol Channing-Hello Dolly
    Mary Martin- Sound of Music
    Julie Andrews- My Fair Lady
    Ethel Merman-Gypsy

But Barbra Streisand was able to very successfully transfer FUNNY GIRL to the movie screen

I love Stephaine Mills and I love the Supremes and Diana Ross and Beyonce. Women of color have come a long way and I thank them for doing it with Elegance and pride. Keep moving forward without tearing each other down.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Stephanie Mills is in good company of people not getting their signature Broadway roles in the movie version:

Ethel Merman-Gypsy

But Barbra Streisand was able to very successfully transfer FUNNY GIRL to the movie screen
    As opposed to The Wiz, and exception of Hello Dolly [[which just broke even) the film versions of those musicals were a massive success upon their release.
    Had Fanny Brice been a black woman, Funny Girl might have been the perfect vehicle for Diana Ross. Having said that, it’s open to debate whether Diana would have been ready for such a major film role in 68.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Wasn't there a cynical theory at the time that Motown had signed Stephanie specifically to gag her from complaining too much if and when the part got given to Diana?
    Motown signed up Stephanie to keep her from being in The WIZ? Don't make no sense, does it ?
    Seems like they would sign her in order to secure her for the role. Not even goo-goo eyed Berry was envisioning Ross as right for the part when he acquired the rights to movie making the play.

That greedy Miss Ross sure mucked things up !

I agree Ollie this was no small part [pun intended] of her career…

So was
    1)Stephanie dating Michael at the time because he might be her inroad to the Wiz movie role.
    2) Michael dating Stephanie at the time because she might be his inroad to the Wiz movie role
    3) Neither, that was all a secondary coincidence.
    Erm....number 3. So what’s my prize?

Finally listened to the whole interview. OMG Stephanie I love it ..... Everything from Diana Ross, Oprah, Michael, Gail, Sam Smith, to Beyonce. Preach !!!! I can relate.

Motown signed up Stephanie to keep her from being in The WIZ? Don't make no sense, does it ?
    Seems like they would sign her in order to secure her for the role. Not even goo-goo eyed Berry was envisioning Ross as right for the part when he acquired the rights to movie making the play.

That greedy Miss Ross sure mucked things up !
    often, when people are desperate to dog, someone, they will stretch the point of reason beyond recognition. If diana had not gone through ESTV, idea probably never would’ve crossed her mind, and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Diana ross couldn’t steal the part like it was mascara at Rite Aid. UniversAL had to OK it and pay her a fortune. It’s true that she wanted tHE part but lots of people want lots of parts and don’t get them, ask Angela Lansbury I still consider the movie to be such a disaster. I can’t even discuss it. I’m glad it seems to have found in popularity with later generations. I can’t imagine how they would’ve filmed the movie with the original script. BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN WHAT WE WOUND UP WITH.

Stephanie will be on TAMRON HALL tomorrow, April 5th. In NYC area, it is on at 9 am on ABC channel 7

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    often, when people are desperate to dog, someone, they will stretch the point of reason beyond recognition. If diana had not gone through ESTV, idea probably never would’ve crossed her mind, and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Diana ross couldn’t steal the part like it was mascara at Rite Aid. UniversAL had to OK it and pay her a fortune. It’s true that she wanted tHE part but lots of people want lots of parts and don’t get them, ask Angela Lansbury I still consider the movie to be such a disaster. I can’t even discuss it. I’m glad it seems to have found in popularity with later generations. I can’t imagine how they would’ve filmed the movie with the original script. BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN WHAT WE WOUND UP WITH.
    Totally agree with you about The Wiz. I have tried many times to sit through the film but boredom has always overcome me and i have never managed to finish it. I am glad it has managed to find favour with later generations but i found it to be utterly dreadful.
    On the other hand the soundtrack is excellent and features some of DR's most committed singing which makes it all the sadder that Quincy never produced a full studio album on her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The fact she was the biggest, black female singing superstar in the world probably helped her cause. It was unlikely she was to ever be turned away as of course was proved.
    This makes steal not a million miles away from the truth, especially if Stephanie was indeed being considered for the part. How could she possibly compete?.
    Angela Lansbury, although having starred in musicals would imo have been totally wrong.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-06-2023 at 05:41 PM.

.... Diana stole mascara from Walgreens? She did seem to have a penchant for it.

Clearly Diana had no business literally 'taking' that part in The Wiz , nobody had her in mind for it, and it had to be rewritten specifically so that her having the part made sense. After Berry laughed it off but got overridden, the original director was so adamant about her not being suitable, he pulled out altogether.
    Regardless, Ross didn't get the hint, or care how detrimental her casting would be to the film. I wonder how she was so convincing to Rob Cohen when she went to him ......
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-07-2023 at 02:01 PM.

I remember reading in something like a People Magazine that Rob Cohen said Diana could get $1 million for the role. Whether she did or not, it impressed Berry because that amount of money would be great PR for Diana and Motown. Instead of being a PR idea that would continue to cement her as a bankable star it did the opposite. It was a critical flop and not a rousing commercial success when first released. Diana never made another theatrical film again afterwards. Gordy was initially right when she first called him and said she wanted to do the film. A pity because she was a good actress and her later TV film Out of Darkness showed how strong her range could be, plus she could do fluff like Mahogany and Double Platinum and not worry about her credibility. The choice to be Dorothy, her signing with RCA[[although good financially), Motown 25, RTL all seemed to be choices she made to enhance her legacy but had the opposite effect. Pity, but we all make errors even when we follow our own advice and it just turns out not to be the way we thought things would be.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I remember reading in something like a People Magazine that Rob Cohen said Diana could get $1 million for the role. Whether she did or not, it impressed Berry because that amount of money would be great PR for Diana and Motown. Instead of being a PR idea that would continue to cement her as a bankable star it did the opposite. It was a critical flop and not a rousing commercial success when first released. Diana never made another theatrical film again afterwards. Gordy was initially right when she first called him and said she wanted to do the film. A pity because she was a good actress and her later TV film Out of Darkness showed how strong her range could be, plus she could do fluff like Mahogany and Double Platinum and not worry about her credibility. The choice to be Dorothy, her signing with RCA[[although good financially), Motown 25, RTL all seemed to be choices she made to enhance her legacy but had the opposite effect. Pity, but we all make errors even when we follow our own advice and it just turns out not to be the way we thought things would be.
    It wasn't the first time a star has used their clout to secure a film role, and i doubt very much it will be the last. It just so happens that in the case of The Wiz it was a disastrous decision for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It wasn't the first time a star has used their clout to secure a film role, and i doubt very much it will be the last. It just so happens that in the case of The Wiz it was a disastrous decision for all concerned.
    Are you sure it was her clout she used to secure the role with Rob Cohen??

I believe "The Wiz" just needs to be edited shorter, and colorized brighter. The visuals, dancing, singing and music are all awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I believe "The Wiz" just needs to be edited shorter, and colorized brighter. The visuals, dancing, singing and music are all awesome!
    It would be interesting to hear from those involved with The Wiz today - and see what they have to say. I think it’s possible that it is now Diana’s most commercially successful movie with its continued showings on TV and various reissues.

It still seems to be very boring - just like it was in 1978 although I’ve never again watched the whole thing

I love that the film has become a post-release favorite. I've always found the film ugly and boring. Diana's solo lp of the music is a killer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Ethel Merman-Gypsy

Add in the Stephanie Mills one and the details of each would make for great reading.

Title the book : I WAS ROBBED!

Not me HOLLERING the way I did when I saw this picture!

I have to be honest: "The Wiz" is not a film to see twice. The film just dragged and dragged. The best actors in it were ironically the two actors who reprised their Broadway roles [[Ted Ross and Mabel King). Everyone else was passable except Diana IMHO. I still think Stephanie is mad Diana got it despite her admiration of her.