[REMOVE ADS]

The almost BOND between the 5th Dimension, Thelma Houston and Paul McCartney

Hi Gang!
    'Came across this while reading
    The MCCARTNEY LEGACY: Volume 1: 1969-73, by Allan Kozinn and Adrian Sinclair.
    Originally published: December 13, 2022
    HarperCollins Publishers Inc. 195 Broadway New York, NY 10007

Selected Excerpts:

The undated agreement explained that two versions of McCartney’s song
    would be recorded for the film: one by Wings, and the second by the
    American vocal group the Fifth Dimension [though their involvement had yet to be formalized].
    MEMORANDUM
    TO: HARRY SALTZMAN
    MUSIC—"LIVE AND LET DIE"
    The following are the arrangements which have been agreed upon with respect to the music and performance for [Live and Let Die.] Paul McCartney has agreed to write the title song entitled "LIVE AND LET DIE." He and his musical group WINGS will perform the title song under the opening titles. Besides using the basic Bond theme, any additional scoring necessary will be done by a composer and conductor to be decided upon.

THE FIFTH DIMENSION will perform a version of the title song in a live performance in the "Filet of Soul" scene. Paul McCartney has agreed to produce THE FIFTH DIMENSION’S performance. The original soundtrack album will be an extremely commercial package composed of Paul McCartney as composer, performer and producer, as well as THE FIFTH DIMENSION, who have had many number one records, and WINGS, McCartney’s musical group.

With respect to the performances, it is up to United.Artists. to negotiate a fee for the performance of WINGS. Lee Eastman has indicated that he would like to work this out with David Picker directly. The fee should be an advance of royalties not to interfere with the soundtrack royalties payable to Danjaq. We are negotiating with Marc Gordon, manager of the FIFTH DIMENSION, for a fee which would include recording, as well as the performance on screen. They have agreed to a pro-rata artists royalty.
    Please tell me who should be advised of the above information.
    More nettlesome gossip filling newspaper column-inches concerned McCartney’sJames Bond theme. In early November, the question of who
    would sing the second version of "Live and Let Die" in Saltzman and
    Broccoli’s spy picture was still unanswered. Misinterpreting the search for
    another act to perform his movie opener, Disc ran a news piece titled
    [McCartney Bond Songs for Dimension,] speculating that Paul would not
    perform his own Bond theme, but rather the vocal group the Fifth Dimension
    or Motown singer Thelma Houston would provide the lead vocals instead.

In an effort to tie down an act to perform the "as live" version of
    McCartney’s movie theme, Ron Kass and Tony Bramwell had been in talks
    with Marc Gordon, the manager of both acts named in the Disc article. The
    Fifth Dimension were known for their intoxicating brand of champagne soul
    in hits like "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In," "One Less Bell to Answer," and
    "Wedding Bell Blues." But while their knockout vocals ticked all the boxes
    for the filmmakers, a five-piece group did not fit director Guy Hamilton’s
    vision. The scene called for a sultry soul singer, capable of playful interplay
    with Bond, not a male-dominant vocal group.
    With the Fifth Dimension out of the running, Gordon offered up Thelma Houston as an alternative. But Houston was busy in the studio working on an album; moreover, she had just switched record labels and was in the process of reviewing her management situation. "Around that time, I remember Marc Gordon telling me there was a possibility I was going to sing the song," Houston remembered. "I signed
    with Mowest Records in late 1972. I know that when I signed with Mowest, Marc no longer wanted to represent me. I never heard anything else about it after that."

The MCCARTNEY LEGACY: Volume 1: 1969-73, by Allan Kozinn and Adrian Sinclair.
    HarperCollins Publishers Inc. 195 Broadway New York, NY 10007
    Last edited by dylan; 02-18-2023 at 04:50 PM. Reason: clumsy fingers

Great Story! I know that both The 5th Dimension and Thelma Houston could've used the exposure of performing a song in a James Bond Film. Reminds me of old saying "so close and yet so far". Thanks for sharing Dylan.