[REMOVE ADS]

Does Anyone Remember Major Lance's "Stay Away From Me [[I Love You Too Much)"?

On YouTube, I was listening to a post of a 1970 radio broadcast and this song by Major Lance came on, "Stay Away From Me [I Love You Too Much]" and I fell in love with it instantly. I looked it up to see how it performed on the charts and it did fairly well, #13 R&B, #67 Pop- I don't think it charted in the UK. Unfortunately, this was the next to last hit Major would have in the US, which is a shame. Just wondering if anyone here recalls hearing this song back in the day. Some of the people who were commenting on the video said they had no idea he had released this record. I certainly don't remember hearing it on the radio back then.

Yes, from memory he had two Curtom 45's the other "Must Be Love Coming Down"

But Don't Forget His Motown record! Not sure how that did on the Charts? "I Never Thought Of Losing You" from 1978

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-17-2023 at 07:27 AM.

Hi WaitingWatching; yes I do remember the record, WJLB -1400 am and WCHB - 1440 am, the soul radio stations here in Detroit played that record, as they did with a lot of the records that came out of the Chicago area.

Heck yeah, stay away was a big one for the major, his motown lp[now arriving-1978] was very underatted with gems[chicago disco- i never thought- think about the love we had- how my love goes] very good lp.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Yes, from memory he had two Curtom 45's the other "Must Be Love Coming Down"

But Don't Forget His Motown record! Not sure how that did on the Charts? "I Never Thought Of Losing You" from 1978

Your channel is like a treasure trove of amazing music. It's like you have EVERYTHING of worth there. I appreciate that you attached the video for this song here because I get to hear it now. This sounds really good. Unfortunately, from the discography I saw, I don't think he had anything that charted after his two Curtom 45s. It seems the Curtom recordings were his second act, so to speak after a lack of much chart success in the late 60s. Makes you wonder- this Soul single is very good, but it seems the public had moved on to other newer artists, yet how to explain why Smokey, The Temptations, Aretha, Cher and other "legacy" acts continued to thrive while others fall by the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Hi WaitingWatching; yes I do remember the record, WJLB -1400 am and WCHB - 1440 am, the soul radio stations here in Detroit played that record, as they did with a lot of the records that came out of the Chicago area.
    I always like to hear from people who remember these records when they were new. Glad to hear that this was getting attention. I was a kid then but I still remember the music that was big on the radio at this time - but for some reason, I just can't recall hearing this one. That's a shame too because I love it now. I'm from the Chicago area, so I'm going to just go with believing this got radio play here but my memory is just really, really, REALLY faulty!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Heck yeah, stay away was a big one for the major, his motown lp[now arriving-1978] was very underatted with gems[chicago disco- i never thought- think about the love we had- how my love goes] very good lp.
    Nice to hear that this was big for Major Lance, it's a really good record! I think it's probably a case where I just don't remember it from the time. The YouTube video where I heard this was a station in Detroit, so I'm sure it got played here in Chicago. I think by the time Major recorded at Motown, it seems the public wasn't really paying him as much attention, which is too bad. He was still sounding good.

I think that his[motown]stint was near the end of his recording days.

Major Lance was one of my Hero's, and everyone else on The Northern Soul scene he was a regular in the UK during the 7T's & 8T's, I collected his Okeh 45's & his albums.

Please let me know if you would like to hear any Motown songs or 45's that you have never had the opportunity to hear before.

If you have not already, check out

Billy Proctor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOa5UdidgLs

Cuba Godding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zT9yGyITUM

Bettye Lavette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvnBTMg97Fg
    Her first 45 for Motown was the last issue in the "1000 Motown Series" on Motown 1532, after that all labels were consolidated commencing at "1600". Bettye's rare 45 "If I Were Your Woman" on Motown 1532 which was unissued and replaced with "You Seen One You Seen 'Em All", personally I think they should have kept "If I Were Your Woman" as it's a stunning version. Looks like only a few of the 45's were ever available.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-18-2023 at 04:32 AM.

"Stay Away From Me" is my all time fave Major Lance record. It got alot of airplay in the Orlando, Fl. area.

Another gem from the major was his last[okeh]recording[without a doubt]and it's great b-side[forever] if you get a chance check them out...major lance forever!!!

Another Major record & pure Detroit.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-20-2023 at 04:10 AM.

I didn't know former Atlanta mayor, Keisha Lance Bottoms was Major Lance's daughter until recently.

Yep, she looks just like her daddy, he would've been very proud!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yep, she looks just like her daddy, he would've been very proud!

She's very pretty.

You can't talk about singers from the sixties without mentioning the great[major lance]!!

Hello there!

I remember this song well. I was waiting for Summer Vacation, ready to leave the 4th grade & it was the 1st Summer spent in the neighborhood in which I live today. I had a friend named Karen who had been a classmate since 1st grade & who with her best friend, Pam, would be with me every year until we graduated high school.

We'd be in class & she'd sing that song to me every now & then, but not because she loved me too much, just clowning around. This song was part of the 1st Summer that I spent in my neighborhood, though I spent most of it playing in my old neighborhood.

This song definitely brings back great memories of being a kid in 1970s NYC!