[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The Motorcity compilation album GIRL GROUPS OF THE MOTORCITY features a photo of the Andantes on the back. It shows them as a quartet featuring Louvain, Marlene, Jackie, and Pat.
    Well, that makes sense, Reese. From what I've read, Pat Lewis was a former group member of an earlier version of The Andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Well, this is going to be very tricky.

I am quietly holding my very own Quality Control online meeting.

And am already up to a Hot Hundred favourites.

Also, there is something good to be found about all of the others, no matter how small the 'positive' points may seem to be....

It seems the following statement applies to even those at the foot of the list:

"There are no bad Motorcity recordings.
    Only Motorcity recordings which need more work."
    Regarding your last paragraph above, Westgrand -- "There are no bad Motorcity recordings.
    Only Motorcity recordings which need more work." That's exactly what Berry Gordy told HDH when they tried to submit The Supremes' "Baby Love" for release at Motown's weekly Quality Control Meeting! When you compare the earlier lackluster version with the new-and-improved released version, the difference in the mix is fresh and exciting -- like the difference between night and day. All it needed was a few tweaks here and there, and a new intro, and VOILA -- a perfect new hit was born![/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-20-2023 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to say that Pat Lewis shines on her Motorcity recordings - she has a great voice. Scherrie Payne handles Diana's material really well in my opinion. I love Billy Griffin's recording of "Walk Away From Love". A huge shout out too for The Andantes "Little Darling [[I Need You)" and The Fantastic Four's "Sidestepping". None of which I've found on YouTube. I could easily put them on, but wouldn't want to step on Ian Levine's toes.

Motorcity seems to have had a few distributorsover the years. Also, given the fact that many Motorcity tracks appear on compilations by other labels Ian must have been able to make plenty of money from leasing recordings elsewhere, assuming he still owns them all.
    Yes, Mystery, Scherrie Payne does great justice to Diana's songs. I, too, love Pat Lewis. And, yes, distributors were a thorn in Ian's side from practically day one of the Motorcity project. To add to the problem, U.S. distributors didn't want to bank their money on older-aged artists from "yester-year". Were it not for HOT Productions in Florida, who finally distributed all of Ian's recorded output for him here in the States, I would have never even heard of Ian Levine. Luckily, thanks to 3 separate 2-CD sets of newer Ian-Levine disco/HI NRG artists [[totaling 6 discs), I learned a LOT about Ian and his music -- both Motorcity and his other artists. It was a crash-course in which I was a quick study and LOVED every minute of it!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-20-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Yes, I have often wondered if, following the great financial difficulties, he still has ownership of the recordings...or, if not in full, still receives revenue from them, maybe from publishing rights.

While Pat Lewis, to my ears, may not have the most distinctive lead singing voice, I consider her still technically very good indeed. Her voice does have a remarkable 'honeyed' and expressive tone. Her 'Don't Memories Mean A Thing' is one of my very favourite Motorcity tracks.. And I agree with your other examples.

Yes, those problems and bad luck with distributors. Perhaps it is because Ian Levine is British, and his operations largely seem to be based here in the UK...but in reading some of the posts on this thread, I am coming to the feeling that Motorcity perhaps had much less of a profile in the US than I had originally assumed......
    It never occurred to me whether Ian was able to retain ownership of his extensive body of Motorcity recordings. I certainly hope so. After all of his hard work and immense enthusiasm, it would be a shame if he lost any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, Mystery, Scherrie Payne does great justice to Diana's songs. I, too, love Pat Lewis. And, yes, distributors were a thorn in Ian's side from practically day one of the Motorcity project. To add to the problem, U.S. distributors didn't want to bank their money on older-aged artists from "yester-year". Were it not for HOT Productions in Florida, who finally distributed all of Ian's recorded output for him here in the States, I would have never even heard of Ian Levine. Luckily, thanks to 3 separate 2-CD sets of newer Ian-Levine disco/HI NRG artists [[totaling 6 discs), I learned a LOT about Ian and his music -- both Motorcity and his other artists. It was a crash-course in which I was a quick study and LOVED every minute of it!
    Do you have any idea what happened with the deal with Quality Records? They were the first to issue Motorcity product in the US with the 12 inch, the 5-disc multi-artist collection, and a Mary Wells cd.

I knew the Motorcity project was underway so I was very excited when I went into Tower Records one day and found the Quality 12 inch, even moreso when I discovered the 5-cd collection. But I never saw any promo aside from an appearance of some of the artists on an episode of "Geraldo" before the actual material was released.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Do you have any idea what happened with the deal with Quality Records? They were the first to issue Motorcity product in the US with the 12 inch, the 5-disc multi-artist collection, and a Mary Wells cd.

I knew the Motorcity project was underway so I was very excited when I went into Tower Records one day and found the Quality 12 inch, even moreso when I discovered the 5-cd collection. But I never saw any promo aside from an appearance of some of the artists on an episode of "Geraldo" before the actual material was released.
    Reese, I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about the earliest days of the Motorcity project. Did you check out the History of Motorcity Records at the very top of this thread? I sort of skimmed over that part, as I was more interested in Motorcity itself than earlier labels that morphed into it. I got into Motorcity in the mid-to-late 1990s thanks to the [[now defunct) HOT Productions [[Miami, FL) catalogue which contained nothing but hard-to-get import dance artists. One entire chapter of the catalogue was devoted to Motorcity Records. The cataIog was a dance-music lover's dream come true. I was hooked even before I placed my first order of which there were many. I'm glad that I kept the catalog. It holds many fond memories of that summer. I was sorry and sad to hear that HOT Productions eventually went out of business, causing Ian to lose his only American distributor.

Grape, I love this record! Who is Ebony Alleyne? Is she one of Ian's more recent artists?
    ...here's the Wiki bio...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony_Alleyne

...basically Sony let her down...! I have her Never Look Back CD ...and it's brilliant...!

Grape

Reese, I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about the earliest days of the Motorcity project. Did you check out the History of Motorcity Records at the very top of this thread? I sort of skimmed over that part, as I was more interested in Motorcity itself than earlier labels that morphed into it. I got into Motorcity in the mid-to-late 1990s thanks to the [[now defunct) HOT Productions [[Miami, FL) catalogue which contained nothing but hard-to-get import dance artists. One entire chapter of the catalogue was devoted to Motorcity Records. The cataIog was a dance-music lover's dream come true. I was hooked even before I placed my first order of which there were many. I'm glad that I kept the catalog. It holds many fond memories of that summer. I was sorry and sad to hear that HOT Productions eventually went out of business, causing Ian to lose his only American distributor.
    Thanks for responding.

I sort of skimmed over the history as well. But reading it now, it doesn't mention anything about the deal with Quality Records. Re US deals, it just mentions Hot Productions.

Were it not for HOT Productions in Florida, who finally distributed all of Ian's recorded output for him here in the States, I would have never even heard of Ian Levine.
    PMG,

I seem to remember Ian Levine reporting at the time that Atlantic turned down distribution of Motorcity without hearing a single track. An executive for the company apparently made a disparaging comment to the effect that he was 'harbouring a collection of has-beens'.....

Are you sure Hot Productions 'distributed all of Ian's recorded product' there in the States?

Looking at the titles, it doesn't seem to me that all Motorcity product which did become available here in the UK was actually released for the US market....?

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    ...here's the Wiki bio...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony_Alleyne

...basically Sony let her down...! I have her Never Look Back CD ...and it's brilliant...!

Grape
    Thanks for trying, Grapevine. At least the biography you provided was interesting, despite the video not being available.

PMG,

I seem to remember Ian Levine reporting at the time that Atlantic turned down distribution of Motorcity without hearing a single track. An executive for the company apparently made a disparaging comment to the effect that he was 'harbouring a collection of has-beens'.....

Are you sure Hot Productions 'distributed all of Ian's recorded product' there in the States?

Looking at the titles, it doesn't seem to me that all Motorcity product which did become available here in the UK was actually released for the US market....?
    Westgrand, the HOT Productions catalog consists of 8 pages of Motorcity product including the Various Artists "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)"; the V.A. "Cream Of The Crop" [[Vols. 1-3)" consisting of extended dance versions; and several "Best Of" collections by individual artists of which some had already been released, and others which were advertised as "Coming Soon" but, to my knowledge, never saw the light of day. I don't want to spoil the surprises. If Kenny is willing to upload the HOT Productions catalog's front cover as well as the 8 pages of Motorcity CD product, you'll get to see for yourself what Motorcity CDs were released as well as what was scheduled but never made it. It's a shame that HOT Productions went under. I have a slew of their dance releases of which some were by artists [[non-Motorcity) and many which were by record label [[The Best Of Venture Records; The Best Of Moby Dick Records; The Best Of "O" Records, The Best Of Ian's Record Shack Records, etc. As far as Ians's Motorcity product is concerned, you guys across the pond got more than we did. Regarding the Various Artists "Best Of Motorcity" series, we only got Vols. 1-20, whereas you got all 40 volumes, did you not? Believe me, I would have bought them all had they been available.

Oh, so Atlantic Records was the label that didn't want to invest money on artists of "yester-year". I thought "yester-year" was bad enough, but "has-beens"? Like Motown, Atlantic has a rich history in its artists of the past. How ironic that they would slam the former Motown artists who were even more successful than many of Atlantic's artists.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-22-2023 at 03:59 AM.

vRegarding the Various Artists "Best Of Motorcity" series, we only got Vols. 1-20, whereas you got all 40 volumes, did you not? Believe me, I would have bought them all had they been available.
    PGM, best to just move at your own speed with uploading information...no, you shouldn't be spoiling any surprises for anyone else who is interested. I think I just might be ahead of you, on much of the information - at least, I perhaps just like to think so haha...

As far as I know, 'Best Of Motorcity' series by Hot Productions was an exclusively US series, but could well have been available by import. So, again as far as I know, we did not have Vols 1-20, let alone Vols 1-40. The UK 'Various Artists' collections went out under different titles.

I was only aware of Hot Productions releases some years later. Virtually all the tracks used there had been released before Motorcity Records went down in the UK....but there were also quite a number tracks which were still unreleased at that time, and showed up on Hot Productions releases.

The UK Motorcity release list was very different. We also had what I would call 'showcase' albums by artists.....Louvain Demps, Barbara Randolph, Brenda Holloway, Fantastic Four, The Lovetones, and many more....which featured only their tracks, as opposed to appearing on 'Various Artists' collections.

If you haven't already done so, check out Discogs for Motorcity label releases....they should all be shown on there...UK, and also US. Last time I checked, I think I had at least most of them....vinyl, as well as CD, cassettes.....

Don't forget to do the same for Nightmare...for the lap-over recordings which then went out on Motorcity label.....as well as non-Motorcity titles.

Despite Motorcity being an essentially UK-based project, while featuring almost exclusively US artists, I do think one main reason it failed was because much of it was not made available sooner to the US market.

As there was a love for all things Motown which still continues to this day here in the UK, there was also a perceived potential at the outset for UK Motown fans to appreciate the Motorcity releases.

We seemed to have a much greater selection of releases available here, than in the US at the same time.

If that same selection could have been made swiftly available via a large US national distributor, at least the potential for success would surely have been greater, given the difference in size of the record buying population.

Any remixes which were then felt necessary, would have followed through much more swiftly.

While much of the initial product wasn't perfect, I think lack of distribution in the bigger US market had to have been one main factor which killed Motorcity Records.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What a fantastic Presentation Gary.
    I will be the first to admit I know little of this music except from a distance. This occurred during the, escape from music and on to other things , era of my life. I had no idea so many tunes were developed with so many artists.
    Its too fantastic to be anything but a fantasy. Yet Levine did it .
    why this has never been developed into a movie seems a mystery . Maybe it is just too fantastic a story to be believable.

[nice work !!]
    I totally agree Boogie!! I can only imagine that the lack of hits [and that a fair few of the artists not being household names] has made a movie unlikely. And it was an entirely separate affair from Motown itself. Still, it really is a great story, one that deserves to be told!!

I do wonder what Berry Gordy made of it all...

Westgrand, the HOT Productions catalog consists of 8 pages of Motorcity product including the Various Artists "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)"; the V.A. "Cream Of The Crop" [[Vols. 1-3)" consisting of extended dance versions; and several "Best Of" collections by individual artists of which some had already been released, and others which were advertised as "Coming Soon" but, to my knowledge, never saw the light of day. I don't want to spoil the surprises. If Kenny is willing to upload the HOT Productions catalog's front cover as well as the 8 pages of Motorcity CD product, you'll get to see for yourself what Motorcity CDs were released as well as what was scheduled but never made it. It's a shame that HOT Productions went under. I have a slew of their dance releases of which some were by artists [[non-Motorcity) and many which were by record label [[The Best Of Venture Records; The Best Of Moby Dick Records; The Best Of "O" Records, The Best Of Ian's Record Shack Records, etc. As far as Ians's Motorcity product is concerned, you guys across the pond got more than we did. Regarding the Various Artists "Best Of Motorcity" series, we only got Vols. 1-20, whereas you got all 40 volumes, did you not? Believe me, I would have bought them all had they been available.
    I have several of the volumes that highlighted various record labels such as Record Shack. The Hot releases were extremely high quality and had fantastic mastering and sound. I also have a few of their artists "best of's" though none of the former Motown artists other than the Marvelettes, but their "Best of Santa Esmeralda," for example, the sound is just phenomenal. You never heard the music sound as good as it did. At the time, I was amazed at the depth of their catalog though I was unaware until much later that they had recorded so many from the former Motown stable.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-22-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I have several of the volumes that highlighted various record labels such as Record Shack. The Hot releases were extremely high quality and had fantastic mastering and sound. I also have a few of their artists "best of's" though none of the former Motown artists other than the Marvelettes, but their "Best of Santa Esmeralda," for example, the sound is just phenomenal. You never heard the music sound as good as it did. At the time, I was amazed at the depth of their catalog though I was unaware until much later that they had recorded so many from the former Motown stable.
    Kenny, I, too, have all of the Santa Esmeralda CDs provided by HOT Productions. And you're absolutely right. All of their CDs are from the master tapes and they sound fantastic!

Despite Motorcity being an essentially UK-based project, while featuring almost exclusively US artists, I do think one main reason it failed was because much of it was not made available sooner to the US market.

As there was a love for all things Motown which still continues to this day here in the UK, there was also a perceived potential at the outset for UK Motown fans to appreciate the Motorcity releases.

We seemed to have a much greater selection of releases available here, than in the US at the same time.

If that same selection could have been made swiftly available via a large US national distributor, at least the potential for success would surely have been greater, given the difference in size of the record buying population.

Any remixes which were then felt necessary, would have followed through much more swiftly.

While much of the initial product wasn't perfect, I think lack of distribution in the bigger US market had to have been one main factor which killed Motorcity Records.
    You hit the nail on the head, Westgrand. Lack of availability in America, coupled with America's lack of awareness that Motorcity even existed, prevented sales here. It wasn't until HOT Productions educated U.S. dance-music fans that Motorcity Records could be bought and had. Discovering Ian Levine's productions [[both Motorcity and non-Motorcity related) opened up whole new musical vistas for which I remain forever grateful.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-22-2023 at 04:20 PM.

While the UK releases were coming through, usually at least one a week, it really didn't occur to me that not so many of the recordings were actually available in the US. I just simply assumed that they were....

It seems that at the time when everyone got together in Detroit in 1989, not much of the product was available to back it up.

I think Levi Stubbs commented that it took a Brit to come to America and get everyone together again.

Here, I believe the Sunday Times later devoted a colour supplement - although I have yet to actually see a copy.

And Channel 4 made a one hour special, 'Second Time Around'. I have it on video cassette, but currently no way of playing it. No idea if it has ever been made available on DVD, or on the internet, but somebody may know.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 02-22-2023 at 06:09 PM.

While the UK releases were coming through, usually at least one a week, it really didn't occur to me that not so many of the recordings were actually available in the US. I just simply assumed that they were....

It seems that at the time when everyone got together in Detroit in 1989, not much of the product was available to back it up.

I think Levi Stubbs commented that it took a Brit to come to America and get everyone together again.

Here, I believe the Sunday Times later devoted a colour supplement - although I have yet to actually see a copy.

And Channel 4 made a one hour special, 'Second Time Around'. I have it on video cassette, but currently no way of playing it. No idea if it has ever been made available on DVD, or on the internet, but somebody may know.....
    Westgrand, I think it's safe to say that Ian's massive and impressive Motorcity project was a victim of Murphy's Law. Despite the artistic success of many of his productions, everything that COULD go wrong, DID INDEED go wrong: 1) Distributor problems preventing Motorcity releases from being available to the public; 2) Few sales, as little-to-no income was coming in; 3) Harsh, critical reviews from "fans" who kicked him to the curb when he was already down; 4) Motorcity artists complaining that they weren't getting paid. Although they had every right to be upset, it isn't as if Ian skipped town with all of the profits. There WERE no profits to be had by anyone -- not even Ian. He was broke. Nearly bankrupt! So much for all of his well-intended hard work.

I can only hope that after all of these years, Ian knows that there are still fans who love and appreciate his Motorcity productions -- especially those many hidden gems which lie within.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-23-2023 at 06:48 PM.

I've forwarded some newly-prepared Ian Levine-related material to Kenny which I'm pretty sure you'll all love! Unfortunately, Kenny's currently a victim of a brutal Winter storm which has left him with no electrical power. Let's hope he manages to keep warm, and is able to upload those new pages soon.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-23-2023 at 06:52 PM.

No, most of us weren't even aware of a Motorcity project until HOT Productions made them available to us. For me, I discovered HOT Productions in the mid-to-late '90s. I wish I could put a finger on it, but I can't remember exactly which year. I clearly remember discovering and ordering the MANY artists & CD releases that were new to me -- both Ian's Motown- and non-Motown-related artists. And I can remember driving home from work on a particular Summer day -- anxious to get home and open my package of new Motorcity and/or new Miguel Brown, Carol Jiani, Louise Thomas, Angie Gold, and L.L. Johnson releases!

I can't really blame Levi for saying that because it's true. And I don't recall ever being aware of Ian's Motown-artist get-together in Detroit.

And it works both ways! I wish I had a dollar for every American-artist CD I had to pay big bucks for as an import because it wasn't released here in America. I swear, if I did, I would be rich!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-24-2023 at 02:38 AM.

I've forwarded some newly-prepared Ian Levine-related material to Kenny which I'm pretty sure you'll all love! Unfortunately, Kenny's currently a victim of a brutal Winter storm which has left him with no electrical power. Let's hope he manages to keep warm, and is able to upload those new pages soon.
    Good news! It will be coming very soon!

Hi, 144man! I did not know that. I love learning about the behind-the-scenes happenings at our favorite record companies. Putting Frances under such pressure -- overnight, no less -- surely must have made her a nervous wreck. Was she even a lyricist? Without looking it up, I don't recall.
    The lyrics were thought to be corny, but they went wiith them anyway.

Soren1974,

Oh, I'm seeing some real favourites for my own list right there.....

And so good to see Joe Stubbs 'Smoke's In The Air' included [sometimes titled 'Smoke In The Air', I've noticed..].

I have often wondered about that strong female background voice on the chorus [think she also features on 'All Over The World', and several others]...would you know if that is Tracey Ackerman? Otherwise I guess it has to be either Jill Saward or Jackie Rawe.....
    I remember Steve Daws telling me that Ian used Tracey Ackerman as a backing singer a lot, but he was not more specific.

The WIKI link of Nightmare singles has some gaps I can fill in. None were released on Nightmare.

MARE
    90 Seventh Avenue - Ten Percent
    93 Exciters - Snake In the Grass
    108 Marvelettes - Holding On With Both Hands
    109 Edwin Starr - Let's Fall In Love Tonight
    118 Martha Reeves & Vandellas - Step Into My Shoes
    123 Billy Griffin - First In Line

Missing details for Volume 10
    Producers

All tracks produced by Ian Levine except tracks 2, 3, 10 Ian Levine & Rick Gianatos, track 15 Ian Levine, Mike Valvano & Rick Gianatos

Composers

Track
    1 I Levine, S wagner
    2 D Richards
    3 G Dobbins, W Garrett, R Bateman, F Gorman
    4 I Levine, B Taylor, H Karim, S Wagner
    5 I Levine, GC Cameron
    6 I Levine, L John
    7 I levine, S Moy, S Wagner
    8 I Levine, B Ganton
    9 B McNair, R Miller, C Perkinson
    10 I Levine, V Williams, S Sanders
    11 I Levine, L John
    12 I Levine, M Valvano, S Wagner
    13 I Levine, B Griffin
    14 P Adams , K Cooksey, F Hauser, E Lemon
    15 I Levine, M Valvano
    16 I. Levine, F Nero

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Composers

Track
    1 I Levine, S wagner
    2 D Richards
    3 G Dobbins, W Garrett, R Bateman, F Gorman
    4 I Levine, B Taylor, H Karim, S Wagner
    5 I Levine, GC Cameron
    6 I Levine, L John
    7 I levine, S Moy, S Wagner
    8 I Levine, B Ganton
    9 B McNair, R Miller, C Perkinson
    10 I Levine, V Williams, S Sanders
    11 I Levine, L John
    12 I Levine, M Valvano, S Wagner
    13 I Levine, B Griffin
    14 P Adams , K Cooksey, F Hauser, E Lemon
    15 I Levine, M Valvano
    16 I. Levine, F Nero
    Thanks for providing the songwriter credits, 144man. As can be seen, my copy of "Best Of Motorcity [[Vol. 10)" is a one-off version. The front cover is identical to the other volumes in the series, but the back cover is sorely lacking. [[The inside of the back cover, BTW, is blank.)

^^^ You're welcome. i don't have access to a printer otherwise I would have just scanned it.

144man, you went the extra mile which is greatly appreciated.

GOOD NEWS!!! The MOTORCITY Individual-Artist CD thread is nearly complete! God willing, Kenny will be uploading it this weekend. Just to whet your whistle, our presentation will be another "MOTORCITY Jukebox" affair! [[Thanks again for that cool nickname, Westgrand! It's a keeper!)

On a beautiful Sunday morning here in the UK, I am in 'Best Of' Motorcity Jukebox mood....

So, starting from the very top of this thread [where else...], and 'Best Of Vol 1', I am playing Frances Nero's '"Footsteps..."

And while I am about it....

The version on the link appears to match the same track on my actual 'Best Of' Vol 1 CD, at 4.20.

And it is longer than the version originally released by Charly on the 'Out On The Floor' CD album, which comes in at 3.41....

Also the 7" radio mix on Debut, at 4.02.

But not as long, of course, as the full length extended version found on 'Footsteps...' Motorcity 71 album, 7.37....and, in addition, 'The Cream Of The Crop' [Vol 1] Motorcity 61 album, same length.

For me, it is always the full length version!

There are more remix versions, but I'm feeling 'fully versioned' enough on 'Footsteps Following Me', for today...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-12-2023 at 06:39 AM.

Best Of, Vol. 1, track 2...'Head Over Heels'...

Very nice little song, and one of my favourites by The Contours...

Co-written by Edwin Starr...but it doesn't seem he recorded it himself.

Listening to it now, I can just hear that voice of his....

Westgrand, I love "Head Over Heels", too. It's amazing how many of the Motorcity "songbook" tunes I merely tolerated before but actually love now. With that in mind, I'm thinking that Ian's music was perhaps a bit ahead of its time -- at least for my personal liking.

Westgrand, I love "Head Over Heels", too. It's amazing how many of the Motorcity "songbook" tunes I merely tolerated before but actually love now. With that in mind, I'm thinking that Ian's music was perhaps a bit ahead of its time -- at least for my personal liking.

PMG, it looks like you're sending out your posts in stereo now

And yes, I was thinking on very similar lines only yesterday, about the 'songbook'.

In the very beginning, the superficial perception by many was that Motorcity was just a carbon copy of Motown. And who then formed a negative opinion of the whole project, and dismissed it, without checking it out a bit more. I think that was largely down to the basic production values on many tracks, and most especially those featuring already well-known Motown songs, and which did not seem to compare favourably.

That seemed to be the general view from Motown fans...and I am sure was really formed from great disappointment, in that the voices of their long beloved artists were not being showcased to better effect. It was taken as a personal letdown of long held memories from their youth.

Well, how can anyone really emulate the sound of Hitsville? And why would they...it's been done by Motown itself. That is literally a matter for the record. And also that other record companies tried and failed to do the same in the sixties. So, best to take those voices and present them to equal effect, with new productions, and new songs....

To be fair to Ian Levine, he did state that he wanted to have glorious tracks with, for example, strings which were missing before...and I think he was aiming for a 'Motown meets Philly' sound. Listening to the Motorcity 2023 tracks, I would say that aim has now been achieved.

And yes, I would very much agree, and say that Motorcity was definitely before its time...but the effect of that was totally disguised by the featuring of established artists. So that immediately sent a signal of being 'behind the times'.

But Ian Levine has always possessed a very real talent for weaving rhythm, riffs and melodies together, and then by inserting quite commonly used phrases and lyrics. Nothing too complicated...so just making it easy to assimilate. Just a couple of lines can have a habit of sneaking in, and then going round and round in the mind. Well, they do in my own mind.....

And since music has changed since the 80s, and rap has become more popular, the notion of 'a tune' has seemed to fall out of fashion. Why not bring it back?

So let's keep hearing it for Motorcity. The music may perhaps still be considered as 'manufactured', but the voices, and the sentiments expressed, are not.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-14-2023 at 05:56 AM.

Best Of, Vol, 1, track 3...'Walk The City Streets'...

This must be the most distinctive and dramatic track ever made by Mary Wells.
    Am always in awe of Liz Lands' operatic soprano intro....
    Hardly a typical Motorcity track...scheduled but not released as a single.
    Would love to hear this played in a large disco or stadium.

It seems there were two extended versions, one at 8.28, and another at 6.11 mins.

Will need to check, but I don't think I have either on CD
    [version on 'Keeping My Mind On Love' album is 3.55, same as here]
    but can find a 6+ minute version on YouTube....

As regards "Walk The City Streets" Discogs shows it as 6:15 on "The Best Of Motorcity" Volume 1 Track 3.

This, I'm guessing, is the same as the 6:11 version on "The Very Best Of Mary Wells".

Well, that's very interesting indeed, and thanks......

I used the link at the top of this thread....and assumed the shorter version there was correct, as almost all tracks in 'Best Of' series would seem to be edits. Having now checked with my actual disc, I find you are quite right. Note to self...check all other 'Best Of' volumes for any more extended versions!

And I had overlooked the fact that I do also have 'The Very Best Of'....credited as 'Walk On the City Streets'....and you're right....it's the extended version, and same as on 'Best Of' Vol 1.

So I have gone from thinking I do not have an extended version...to finding I actually have two.

Today is a good day.

PMG, it looks like you're sending out your posts in stereo now

And yes, I was thinking on very similar lines only yesterday, about the 'songbook'.

In the very beginning, the superficial perception by many was that Motorcity was just a carbon copy of Motown. And who then formed a negative opinion of the whole project, and dismissed it, without checking it out a bit more. I think that was largely down to the basic production values on many tracks, and most especially those featuring already well-known Motown songs, and which did not seem to compare favourably.

That seemed to be the general view from Motown fans...and I am sure was really formed from great disappointment, in that the voices of their long beloved artists were not being showcased to better effect. It was taken as a personal letdown of long held memories from their youth.

Well, how can anyone really emulate the sound of Hitsville? And why would they...it's been done by Motown itself. That is literally a matter for the record. And also that other record companies tried and failed to do the same in the sixties. So, best to take those voices and present them to equal effect, with new productions, and new songs....

To be fair to Ian Levine, he did state that he wanted to have glorious tracks with, for example, strings which were missing before...and I think he was aiming for a 'Motown meets Philly' sound. Listening to the Motorcity 2023 tracks, I would say that aim has now been achieved.

And yes, I would very much agree, and say that Motorcity was definitely before its time...but the effect of that was totally disguised by the featuring of established artists. So that immediately sent a signal of being 'behind the times'.

But Ian Levine has always possessed a very real talent for weaving rhythm, riffs and melodies together, and then by inserting quite commonly used phrases and lyrics. Nothing too complicated...so just making it easy to assimilate. Just a couple of lines can have a habit of sneaking in, and then going round and round in the mind. Well, they do in my own mind.....

And since music has changed since the 80s, and rap has become more popular, the notion of 'a tune' has seemed to fall out of fashion. Why not bring it back?

So let's keep hearing it for Motorcity. The music may perhaps still be considered as 'manufactured', but the voices, and the sentiments expressed, are not.
    ^^This is so well said.

I have to admit to having a mixed response to this project..........based mostly out of ignorance . I guess I had thought Ian did a couple of songs with this act or this one ...........maybe thirty songs or so in all and even that would have been a substantial accomplishment. When it was revealed here that we are approaching 1,000 songs [!!!!] and with so many artists,
    well its just too wild to fully wrap my head around.

I bet Ian was pinching himself that he had this amount of access and this amount of interest and willingness from artists he so revered his entire life. He was like a kid in the world's largest candy store. How could he not want to take the experience to the max...
    He took on quite a challenge that was laid at his feet.

So while part of me, when looking at the sheer volume of work here asks ,"why?" .... a much bigger part of me says, .... "Why not??"
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-15-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Thank you for the compliment, Boogiedown.

The Motorcity project did show a very great sense of prescience on the part of Ian Levine.

If he had not acted upon his dream at that very time, the voices of so many more of the artists, whose voices were preserved by the project, would have been lost forever.....

If you haven't already done so, check out the Motorcity 2023 tracks for evidence of how successfully [IMO] Motorcity tracks can be re-worked, and then come up sounding brand new....

'Best Of', Vol 1, track 4 - 'In The Name Of Love'....

The Pat Lewis version of the Sharon Redd oldie....

Quite a repetitive song, made more so because the background sounds just too hard and monotonous to my ears.

Some good things, but would be interesting to hear what else could be done with it....

Best Of', Vol 1, track 5 - 'Girl With A Broken Heart'

If I had to name just one Motorcity track which I think features the very best interplay between lead and background vocals, this would have to be it.

Lead vocal by Karen Pree, and background vocals by Karen herself, joined by Carolyn Crawford [*] and Sandra Feva.

Co-written by Karen and her husband Clay McMurray, with Ian Levine also sharing a writing credit.

A great track, with many standout little details, but falls short of being totally glorious due to that basic drum machine sound - which not only distracts, but substantially detracts from the track's full potential.

A track high on the list for re-working, IMO...!

[*] Can anyone name another Motorcity track where Carolyn Crawford sings background, apart from on her own recordings? I can certainly think of one.....

Best Of', Vol 1, track 6 - ' Better Love Next Time'

Neat title, nice song, co-written by Marv Johnson....yet with some elements which could be enhanced.

The light, airy lead and background vocals are easy on the ear, and the chorus is very catchy.

Best version is on Motorcity 2023; Vol. 1.....

'Best Of Motorcity', Vol 1, track 7 - The Miracles - 'Fun Time' 4.56

An edit of the remix by Aron Friedman, issued on 12" single. 5.52
    Light and funky; much to enjoy.
    Completely different in production from the original....

...and which is 4.22, found on the B side of the 12".
    A typically solid, heavy bass Motorcity sound [if rather too prominent drum machine]; good song with very infectious chorus, background vocals arranged by Bobby Rogers; a 'get out on the floor' production.

'Best Of Motorcity', Vol 1, track 8 - Edwin Starr - 'In The Nick Of Time' 4.51

Not the same song as 'Just In The Nick Of Time' by The Marvelettes, although that complete line does form part of the chorus. Has a good rhythm going; a very pleasant song with several good little hooks, even if the chorus doesn't really stand out too much from the verses. In places, it's as if as many words as possible have been packed into the lyrics. One of a number of Motorcity recordings co-written by Edwin Starr and Ian Levine. Background vocals by Billy Griffin.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 03-24-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Westgrand, they're closer to their Motown harmonies -- especially on "Standing In The Shadows Of Love" [[which, BTW, is a great cover version!), but their blend is still not quite the same. Compare their vocals here with their vocals on Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston's "Heaven Sent You [[I Know)" from their "Take Two" album. In the song's introduction, that's The Andantes' angelic harmonic "blend" I'm referring to. If Pat Lewis has been singing with them on the Motorcity recordings, that could very well explain why their blend is not the same. All it takes is the addition or subtraction of one voice to change the blend.
    Gary, simply because I'm playing 'My Cherie Amour' by Sylvia Moy right now.....

Not exactly the angelic harmonic blend you most like from The Andantes....but, on this track, the sweet, velvety blend of background voices is surely presented by the ladies themselves....and, I would say, minus Pat Lewis.....absolute perfection.....

Gary, simply because I'm playing 'My Cherie Amour' by Sylvia Moy right now.....

Not exactly the angelic harmonic blend you most like from The Andantes....but, on this track, the sweet, velvety blend of background voices is surely presented by the ladies themselves....and, I would say, minus Pat Lewis.....absolute perfection.....
    By George, I think you've got something there, westgrand! Those angelic back-up vocals are the closest to The Andantes that I've heard on Motorcity recordings.

* TO ALL IAN LEVINE MOTORCITY RECORDS ENTHUSIASTS *

Ralph has agreed to let us use Kenny's and my "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)" thread as the Entrance Door to the all-new MOTORCITY FORUM! Unlike the unfriendly alternate "Motor City" Forum thread right next to this one [[which Ralph tried to remove but wasn't able to), "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)" is highly welcoming and informative. Hopefully, our MOTORCITY FORUM will survive and thrive here in our new location!

Here is a list of the Motorcity thread titles which Ralph recently moved from the Motown Forum to the Soulful Detroit Forum [[listed in the order in which they were created) They'll have to somehow be reconnected to a link which is out of my realm. [[Technically challenged here, which is Kenny's talent.)

More On Motorcity - 1990 EU Launch And 25 Volume CD Series [[Mysterysinger, 2/24/23)

How I Discovered The Musical World Of Ian Levine [[Philles/Motown Gary, 2/25/23)

Motorcity 2023 - Vol. 1 [[Soren1974, 3/3/23)

The MOTORCITY JUKEBOX Of Individual Artist CD's [[Philles/Motown Gary, 3/10/23)

Motorcity: Soul Giant 4 CD Box Set: New Backgrounds [[Westgrandboulevard, 3/12/23)

Hattie Littles - Touch Me In The Morning [[Mysterysinger, 3/23/23)

The Valadiers - "No Competition" [[Mysterysinger, 3/24/23)

Motorcity "Divas" And Other Fun Releases [[Philles/Motown Gary, 3/24/23)

If I've inadvertently left out anyone's recent thread, please PM me and let me know.

This Motorcity thread, "The Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)" is actually our new MOTORCITY FORUM. And it's a nice welcome mat for newcomers. Ralph reportedly feels that the thread is not top-heavy, as some of us had thought, and he wants us to conduct all of our posting within this MOTORCITY FORUM thread [[not unlike the DRATS Forum).

In the meantime, I'm pleased that we have a legitimate MOTORCITY FORUM of our own! And I hope you're all pleased as well!

Please feel free to start posting below to your hearts' content!

- Philles/Motown Gary & Kenny
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-04-2023 at 02:20 AM.

Hi Gary
    Is this what you want done??

here are three ways to consider [I'd be glad to help]

Existing Motorcity Threads:

#1 - More On Motorcity - 1990 EU Launch And 25 Volume CD Series [[Mysterysinger, 2/24/'23) LINK

#2 - How I Discovered The Musical World Of Ian Levine [[Philles/Motown Gary, 2/25/'23)
    LINK: How I Discovered The Musical World Of Ian Levine [[Philles/Motown Gary, 2/25/'23

#3 - Motorcity 2023 - Vol. 1 [[Soren1974, 3/3/23)
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?30586-Motorcity-2023-Vol-1

Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-04-2023 at 02:39 AM.