[REMOVE ADS]

Motown's West Coast Office

Brenda Holloway was mentioned in the Isley Bros thread; her still being pushed in the Motown artists ad at the beginning of 68.
    BUT it seems Motown's west coast office never really recovered from Mat Gordon's resignation in late 65.
    Who took over there after Matt quit, was it Frank Wilson ? as his is the name that pops up the most on Motown west coast tracks from 66 onwards.
    Was the west coast office shut down again before BG relocated the company to LA or did it dump along till then ?
    Name:  MotownMarcGordonDec65.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  48.0 KB

Brenda's last Motown release ... I guess BG gets a credit as was his 'fave arrangement' of the track that was released [[much to Brenda's disgust). As the story behind the song was personal to her, I'd think it was Brenda [[+ Patrice) that played the major roles in the song's composition.
    Attachment 20314
    Last edited by jsmith; 02-13-2023 at 08:13 AM.

With Marc Gordon's departure from the company, I believe Hal Davis moved into a position of more authority in Motown's Los Angeles office. Frank Wilson probably shared some of that authority, but I think Frank tended to go to Detroit to work with artists more often than Hal ever did.

Hal Davis is the only Motown California resident that I respected. Definitely goes for Frank Wilson, but he was in Detroit most of the time. Seems like he was always running in and out of my office.
    Last edited by ralpht; 02-14-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    With Marc Gordon's departure from the company, I believe Hal Davis moved into a position of more authority in Motown's Los Angeles office. Frank Wilson probably shared some of that authority, but I think Frank tended to go to Detroit to work with artists more often than Hal ever did.
    Exactly this. When Gordon was there, he and Davis split the responsibilities. After he left, Davis was the single head man.

Anyone here know anything about Warren Lanier's time with Motown. I presume he was based out of their west coast office ...
    Attachment 20420