[REMOVE ADS]

Whitney Houston Gospel CD and DVD to be released

Info from SoulTracks.com-

The unmistakable voice of Whitney Houston is powerful and timeless. She is one of the best-selling artists of all time with sales of over 200 million records worldwide and is the only artist to have had seven consecutive number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100. Whitney reached the pinnacle of pop success, becoming one of the most accomplished recording artists of all time. But her heart was always in gospel music, and it profoundly influenced her life and career. On March 24, 2023, we will get to know a side of Whitney intrinsic to her very soul with the release of I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston.

I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston will be available on CD through Gaither Music Group and on all digital streaming platforms via Arista/Legacy Recordings [[in cooperation with The Estate of Whitney E. Houston) and may be pre-ordered now.

The documentary TV special and corresponding album and DVD document Whitney’s gospel journey and feature six never-before-released songs, several from as early as 1981. The 15-track album includes exhilarating versions of cherished gospel evergreens including “Jesus Loves Me” and “His Eye Is on the Sparrow.” The album will also unveil stunning unreleased tracks such as “He Can Use Me,” an awe-inspiring live version of “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “I Found a Wonderful Way,” and “Testimony” which will be the first single from the project out on February 9, 2023. These recordings invite us into the deep faith behind the voice that continues to uplift and impact countless lives around the world.

The documentary TV special, I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston, will air on multiple TV networks, premiering Friday, March 24, at 8 p.m. ET on both UPtv and AspireTV.

Album Listing:

1. I Go to the Rock [The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack]
    2. Jesus Loves Me [The Bodyguard Soundtrack]
    3. He Can Use Me – UNRELEASED TRACK
    4. Joy to the World [The Preachers Wife Soundtrack]
    5. Bridge Over Troubled Water [Whitney and CeCe Winans; VH1 Honors] – UNRELEASED TRACK
    6. Testimony – UNRELEASED TRACK
    7. I Look to You
    8. His Eye Is on the Sparrow [Sparkle soundtrack]
    9. Hold On, Help Is on the Way [The Preachers Wife Soundtrack]
    10. This Day [VH1 Honors] – UNRELEASED TRACK
    11. I Found a Wonderful Way – UNRELEASED TRACK
    12. Joy [The Preachers Wife Soundtrack]
    13. I Love the Lord [The Preachers Wife Soundtrack]
    14. He/I Believe– UNRELEASED TRACK

Documentary Track Listing:

1. I Go to the Rock – Whitney Houston featuring The Georgia Mass Choir, Saturday Night Live, 1996
    2. Guide Me O Thou, Great Jehovah – Whitney Houston, The Arsenio Hall Show, 1990
    3. This Day – Whitney Houston, VH1 Honors, 1995
    4. Jesus Loves Me – Whitney Houston, Live in Santiago, Chile, 1994
    5. Wonderful Counselor – Whitney, Cissy, & Gary Houston, American Music Awards, 1988
    6. Hold Up the Light – Whitney Houston and Bebe & Cece Winans, 21st NAACP Image Awards, 1989
    7. Bridge Over Troubled Water – Whitney Houston and Cece Winans, VH1 Honors, 1995
    8. I Look to You – Whitney Houston, 2009
    9. I Love the Lord – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996
    10. Joy to the World – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996

This is an interesting collection, as I feared the Whitney catalog might be running dry.

I have many of the recordings on the cd as well as the dvd. But I look forward to the unreleased cd tracks, not to mention having the items on dvd in pristine condition.

Yesss!! Looking forward to this! The previously unreleased track called "Testimony" has been released today on digital platforms, ahead of the CD and DVD release. According to the official Whitney Houston Facebook page, she was 17 years old when she recorded this. Love it! She sounded a bit more young and nasally here, but her vocals are still unmistakably powerful!

Soooo happy to see new CDs still coming out in 2023. Let's keep them rolling off the assembly line!!!

The CD and DVD are out today. The album can also be streamed on the usual platforms. The TV special [same as the DVD release] will be airing tonight and this weekend on UPtv and Aspire in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    The CD and DVD are out today. The album can also be streamed on the usual platforms. The TV special [same as the DVD release] will be airing tonight and this weekend on UPtv and Aspire in the US.
    Thanks for posting this reminder. I just finished watching the program and even though I have all of the clips, having them grouped together brought back such pleasant memories.

The dvd of this project arrived yesterday. Even though I watched the telecast last week, the dvd is even better as it has about 20 minutes more of material, mostly interviews. But it is really worth buying.

The only complaints I have are:

a) Some performances are interrupted by interviews. Just let the woman sing!

b) The performances of I GO TO THE ROCK [[rom SNL] and WONDERFUL COUNSELOR [from the American Music Awards] are edited. I noticed this in the telecast last week and thought it might have been for time. But they are edited on the dvd as well.

Those complaints aside, it is nice to see a project that concentrates on Whitney's great talent.

Dang, thanks for letting us know about the dvd, Reese. I was really hoping they would be full performances. I think I'll hold off on buying the dvd and will just opt for the cd. I've noticed the price of this dvd also seems to be relatively high, via most retailers [[in Canada, it's around the $30 mark!).

I agree that it's nice to finally have a new release campaign focused on Whitney's talent...instead of the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Dang, thanks for letting us know about the dvd, Reese. I was really hoping they would be full performances. I think I'll hold off on buying the dvd and will just opt for the cd. I've noticed the price of this dvd also seems to be relatively high, via most retailers [[in Canada, it's around the $30 mark!).

I agree that it's nice to finally have a new release campaign focused on Whitney's talent...instead of the drama.
    No problem. I was really hoping to get a nice copy of WONDERFUL COUNSELOR because when it originally aired, the live East Coast feed was having audio problems. So every so often, the vocals would drop out.

Re I GO TO THE ROCK on SNL, I remember Whitney really taking it to the church near the end and on the dvd, this section is edited out.

The CD and DVD are sold separately?! That's a mistake, people don't even buy CDs anymore.