[REMOVE ADS]

diana ross/ best album cuts

cant remember if we discussed this b4 but if you had to pick songs for a cd of your favorite or what you think are best album tracks
    1. These Things Keep Me Loving You
    2 .And if You See Him
    3. My Place
    4. My Baby My Own
    5. After You
    6. Come In From The Rain
    7. All Night Lover
    8. Friend to Friend
    9. Give Up
    10.More and More
    11. Crimes of Passion
    12. I'm Watching You
    !3. Summertime
    14. Who
    15. You Do It
    16. Carry On

Dark side of the world
    Little girl blue
    My place
    once in the morning
    now that you're gone
    kiss me now
    you were the one
    after you
    just say, just say
    come together
    all the befores
    stone liberty
    it's never too late
    i am me
    anywhere you run to
    it's your move
    oh teacher
    there goes my baby
    battlefield
    i thought we were still in love
    carry on

I'll just stick with one from each studio album:

Now That There's You
    My Place
    All the Befores
    Brown Baby / Save the Children
    Include Me in Your Life
    You
    After You
    The Same Love That Made Me Laugh
    You Were The One
    No One Gets the Prize
    Give Up
    Stay with Me
    Think I'm in Love
    Fool for Your Love
    Love or Loneliness
    Forever Young
    More and More
    Its Hard for Me to Say
    Say We Can
    Blame it on the Sun
    I Thought That We Were Still in Love
    Carry On
    What About Love
    Thank You

I'm going with Reese's idea [[it's just easier that way):

Now That There's You
    Baby It's Love-Doobedoo-Call Me-Close To You [[4 way tie, couldn't decide 1 over other)
    A Simple Thing Like Cry [[Just missed being another 4 way tie)
    I'm Falling In Love With You
    Brown Baby/Save the Children
    I Heard a Love Song
    After You
    You Got It
    You Were the One
    No One Gets the Prize
    My Old Piano [[I don't recognize it as a single)
    Sweet Surrender
    Fool For Your Love-Anywhere You Run To [[tie)
    You Do It
    We Are the Children
    Selfish One
    Last edited by RanRan79; 02-09-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added "Anywhere You Run To"

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

You
    Reese, try as I might, I just can't get into "You". You know I love when Diana's songs have a bit more soul to it, but for me the vocal is just too lazy. I try and try to make myself like it and I just can't. I don't hate it, but I rarely play it.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    just say, just say
    Another one I can't get into. The fans seem to really rate it high, but from the moment I first listened to the album, "Just Say" was quickly one of my least favorites. Actually it is my least favorite song on the album. It's not a bad song at all. I just can't get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Reese, try as I might, I just can't get into "You". You know I love when Diana's songs have a bit more soul to it, but for me the vocal is just too lazy. I try and try to make myself like it and I just can't. I don't hate it, but I rarely play it.
    I was stuck between LOVE ME and YOU. But in the end, I really love Diana's vocal on YOU ,especially the closing moments. She sounds as if she really means it.

I was stuck between LOVE ME and YOU. But in the end, I really love Diana's vocal on YOU ,especially the closing moments. She sounds as if she really means it.
    I actually liked "Love Me" for quite some time. I got to the point where I didn't like it anymore for some reason. Now I kind of like it again. Lol

I haven't listened to "You" from beginning to end in quite some time. Maybe I'll give it a listen and see my thoughts have changed.

I actually liked "Love Me" for quite some time. I got to the point where I didn't like it anymore for some reason. Now I kind of like it again. Lol

I haven't listened to "You" from beginning to end in quite some time. Maybe I'll give it a listen and see my thoughts have changed.
    There was a version of LOVE ME which double-tracked Diana's vocals on the bridge. It was first released on the ALL THE GREAT LOVE SONGS cd. I'm not sure if it is on the expanded LAST TIME I SAW HIM but I really like that version.

Considering what I went through to get the LTISH album, I should love it all. I saw it in the $1.99 bin at Bradlee's and begged my mother for $ to buy it. She must not have given me enough because when I went to pay, I was short. The cashier was like "Take it and get out of here!" and I scrammed.
    Last edited by reese; 02-09-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Now That There's You
    Baby It's Love-Doobedoo-Call Me-Close To You [[4 way tie, couldn't decide 1 over other)
    I Heard a Love Song
    After You
    You Got It
    You Were the One
    No One Gets the Prize
    Sweet Surrender
    You Do It
    We Are the Children
    Selfish One
    wow ran - We are the Children?!?!? really?? lololol

i'm now going to judge you, scornfully lol

Another one I can't get into. The fans seem to really rate it high, but from the moment I first listened to the album, "Just Say" was quickly one of my least favorites. Actually it is my least favorite song on the album. It's not a bad song at all. I just can't get into it.
    the intro is just plain weird. i didn't listen much to the overall album. and when this would start, if i was near the cd player, i'd just skip ahead. but then there were times it would just be playing in the background and the later parts of the songs are beautiful. took me the longest time to sync this all up in my mind. the intro is still a bit odd to me, but as the song gets going, i just love it. especially as it really starts to grow and build

i think both are very underrated. the excessively long talking in You is the downside IMO. i think a little would have been wonderful. but it's sort of too much of a good thing.

and I'm surprised Love Me did so poorly in the UK.

actually i don't know that any of the LTISH songs are bad. it think the overall combination is wrong. the tunes by masser and miller are great as are the gaudio ones. and the 1 To the baby track. but they should have been in separate projects. TTB should have be 1 album, an album mostly produced by masser with the miller songs filling it out. then maybe a more rock album with Gaudio and some other tunes, like harmony from the DR 76 set.

the intro is just plain weird. i didn't listen much to the overall album. and when this would start, if i was near the cd player, i'd just skip ahead. but then there were times it would just be playing in the background and the later parts of the songs are beautiful. took me the longest time to sync this all up in my mind. the intro is still a bit odd to me, but as the song gets going, i just love it. especially as it really starts to grow and build
    It sort of sounds like the song [JUST SAY, JUST SAY] is beginning in the middle of a musical phrase or measure? That said, it is one of my favorites. I love the parts where Diana and Marvin sing in unison.
    Last edited by reese; 02-09-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Now That There's You
    I Heard a Love Song
    After You
    You Got It
    You Were the One
    No One Gets the Prize
    Sweet Surrender
    You Do It
    We Are the Children
    Selfish One
    “Fool For Your Love” plus “We Are The Children”.... Ok, fine
    If it was April 1st i would assume you were pulling the proverbial leg, but each to his own.
    I played “A Simple Thing Like Cry” just the other day when news of Diana’s no-show at the Grammy awards broke. Definitely one of her most soulful recordings ever.
    Agree regarding “You Do It”. A much underrated little number that stays in the head. I would also add “Sparkle” for its pure class.

and I'm surprised Love Me did so poorly in the UK.
    This is a shock to me as well, though #38 would be gravy for any lesser-known act. All these years, I'd been under the impression, from the old Geoff Brown biography of Diana from the early '80s, that LM was a top 10 hit in the UK! Maybe I misremembered; haven't had a copy of that book in years. What a wonderful choon.

wow ran - We are the Children?!?!? really?? lololol

i'm now going to judge you, scornfully lol
    Ha ha! Yes, we both shall.

"I Never Loved A Man Before" is a superb song with Diana Ross' smooth and velvety vocals. Reminds me of Captain and Tenille's "The Way I Want to Touch You", which I wish Ms. Ross to record.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 02-11-2023 at 07:46 AM.

Off the top of my head, my choices are:

Dark Side of the World
    Come in From the Rain
    I'm in the World
    Summertime
    Battlefield
    He Lives in You
    I thought we were still in love
    Just in Case

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “Fool For Your Love” plus “We Are The Children”.... Ok, fine
    If it was April 1st i would assume you were pulling the proverbial leg, but each to his own.
    Hey, what can I say? I'm a child of the 80s. "Children" sounds like it could have been the theme for some Goonies type movie or something.

I really don't know why some fans diss "Fool For Your Love", unless you're just generally not a rock fan, which I could understand. But IMO, while I don't think this was something Diana should have been doing, she at least understood the assignment and she proved once again that she could go outside the bounds of what she might traditionally be known for and do it adequately, at least. I love it.

thanks for your memories going to make a playlist and you all have jogged my memory of a few great songs i have not heard in a while.
    i like also Just Say and Fool For Your Love

"I Never Loved A Man Before" is a definitely on my list. Stay tuned for more hurrahs!