[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Think It's Unfortunate

I Think It's Unfortunate

I think it's unfortunate it took the Supremes almost 60 years to be recognized by the Grammys.

I think it's unfortunate that Diana has made no real public announcement in recognition of this honor.

I think it's unfortunate that the ceremony was held in a separate room, on the day before the event.

I think it's unfortunate that Florence and Mary weren't there to recieve their accolades.

I think it's unfortunate that Diana didn't attend, or send a representative on her behalf.

I think it's unfortunate that likely Cindy and Jean, as well as Lynda, Scherrie, and Susaye weren't mentioned at any point during the distinction.

I think it's unfortunate that there was no acknowledgment of the Supremes during the telecast.

I think it's unfortunate that The Supremes, one of the world's most recognizable girl groups; the one American group that rivaled Elvis and The Beatles, the one group that set the standard for all of those ladies to follow; that launched the career of a superstar and legends in the entertainment industry have never properly been given all of the flowers they so richly deserve.

Well said and everything you said needed to be said. It all really is unfortunate. And just a bit maddening.

The thing is the Grammies would have NEVER treated the Beatles or the Stones or Paul McCartney with that type of "recognition" or "honor". Ross was right to stay away.

Blame reggie harding

Anything that goes on today....ANYTHING....including any minimalistic mention or celebration...does not take away form the legacy The Supremes created....they are cemented in history, being written, filmed and most of all recorded...I am glad the girls showed up to represent their MOM's....it may not be important to everyone...but it is important to some...and that's who they showed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    The thing is the Grammies would have NEVER treated the Beatles or the Stones or Paul McCartney with that type of "recognition" or "honor". Ross was right to stay away.
    Except in 2012 when the Grammys gave her a lifetime achievement award for her solo career, she showed up for the Saturday night lifetime achievement award ceremony. So that doesn't wash. Stop making excuses or find a way to let her off the hook. She didn't mention receiving this honor on her social media since this was announced [[instead posting about how she much fun she had wearing hats and updates about her children), and that quote from her publicist for the Variety article [[which she hasn't shared on her social media). She preaches love, positivity and gratitude, but on this occasion, she fell short so she deserves to be criticized for it. And if she really wanted to make a stand on this issue, then rather than passively staying away how make a public announcement about such a double standard? Miss Ross has never been a wall flower in the past when she feels the need to take a public stand. But I can understand why those who Diana Ross is perfect and without fault are grasping for any straw or theory to excuse her rather than face the reality that this grammy lifetime achievement award didn't mean much if anything to her.

As much as I think Diana hasn't helped the legacy of the Supremes by downplaying, Berry Gordy has done this as well. He says things like "The Supremes were a part of Motown" and I'm like "Uh no buddy Motown was a part of the Supremes ".

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Except in 2012 when the Grammys gave her a lifetime achievement award for her solo career, she showed up for the Saturday night lifetime achievement award ceremony. So that doesn't wash. Stop making excuses or find a way to let her off the hook. She didn't mention receiving this honor on her social media since this was announced [[instead posting about how she much fun she had wearing hats and updates about her children), and that quote from her publicist for the Variety article [[which she hasn't shared on her social media). She preaches love, positivity and gratitude, but on this occasion, she fell short so she deserves to be criticized for it. And if she really wanted to make a stand on this issue, then rather than passively staying away how make a public announcement about such a double standard? Miss Ross has never been a wall flower in the past when she feels the need to take a public stand. But I can understand why those who Diana Ross is perfect and without fault are grasping for any straw or theory to excuse her rather than face the reality that this grammy lifetime achievement award didn't mean much if anything to her.
    I disagree. It's HER life and she's free to live it as she wants to. Not a hard concept really. As others have rightly pointed out, the Grammys have had close to 60 years to recognize and celebrate the Supremes. Heck Diana Ross left the group and went solo 53 years ago!!! Why did the grammy committee wait so long to do this? Why would they want to do it now? Can you imagine the grammy's celebrating the Beatles in this half-ass way? Not hardly!
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 02-08-2023 at 12:55 PM.

I disagree. It's HER life and she's free to live it as she wants to. Not a hard concept really. As others have rightly pointed out, the Grammys have had close to 60 years to recognize and celebrate the Supremes. Heck Diana Ross left the group and went solo 53 years ago!!! Why did the grammy committee wait so long to do this? Why would they want to do it now? Can you imagine the grammy's celebrating the Beatles in this half-ass way? Not hardly!
    there's much truth here. tossing an award to someone is just that. who needs it, who cares.
    [I think Groucho Marx once said concerning an occasion like this, "does it come with lunch?".]

It is half-assed to "award" entities , especially ones that are mostly dead, some plaque that's handed out to whoever , on an adjacent sideshow on some other day.

The bigger point here is you are right, they had sixty years to do this and we all know who would've been thrilled by it. But they wait until she's hardly settled in her grave to decide to now offer the recognition. Far too little, a tad too late. Insensitive dumb asses quite frankly.

and the reason why the Grammy's wouldnt treat the Beatles like that is because if they were awarded a special award they knew at least one of them would turn up to accept it and im sure that if there was only one surviving member left that one surviving member would turn up to accept it...its probably because of Diana's lack of interest that the Supremes have been overlooked and not applauded as much as they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    and the reason why the Grammy's wouldnt treat the Beatles like that is because if they were awarded a special award they knew at least one of them would turn up to accept it and im sure that if there was only one surviving member left that one surviving member would turn up to accept it...its probably because of Diana's lack of interest that the Supremes have been overlooked and not applauded as much as they should have.
    Valid points well made mowsville.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Again, Diana hasn't been a member of the group in over 50 years. Why did it take this long for the Grammies to recognize one of, if not the most, influential female groups of all time? If the grammies were worth its salt, they would have recognized all the living Supremes and not just Diana. Diana is at a point in her life where she can pick and choose where and when she shows up to an event. That half-ass recognition wasn't worth her time. And I don't blame her.

That half-ass recognition wasn't worth her time. And I don't blame her.
    I think it rather obvious she couldn’t be assed. In stark contrast, Turkessa and Lisa showed they were more then proud to represent and honour their respective mothers incredible achievements.

Again, Diana hasn't been a member of the group in over 50 years. Why did it take this long for the Grammies to recognize one of, if not the most, influential female groups of all time? If the grammies were worth its salt, they would have recognized all the living Supremes and not just Diana. Diana is at a point in her life where she can pick and choose where and when she shows up to an event. That half-ass recognition wasn't worth her time. And I don't blame her.
    But it wasn't even worth a mention by her? Or worth sending someone on her behalf? By all accounts Evan lives somewhere in LA. Would it have killed him to take two hours out of his day?

for all the people on here assuming the worst of her, please share your proof that she was sitting at home, eating bonbons, goofing off, etc. none of us know if she was ill or what. she isn't young. her recent tours of the UK certainly showed that she wasn't in perfect health. I don't have any info either - maybe she was off at a mani pedi day. or maybe she had a much more serious condition and therefore didn't show up for either day. maybe something is wrong and she wanted her family near her in case she DID win on Sunday. if she had won that would have been a wonderful occasion and one she'd cherish to share with her children.

i have no more information than you. i do realize in the past she has been one to skip out on things. but unless you have specifics - such as hard cold facts - i think you're being hideously uncaring.

YOU DON'T KNOW

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    But it wasn't even worth a mention by her? Or worth sending someone on her behalf? By all accounts Evan lives somewhere in LA. Would it have killed him to take two hours out of his day?
    Well apparently Evan and the other four Ross children didn't want to be bothered with the Grammy's half-ass presentation either.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    for all the people on here assuming the worst of her, please share your proof that she was sitting at home, eating bonbons, goofing off, etc. none of us know if she was ill or what. she isn't young. her recent tours of the UK certainly showed that she wasn't in perfect health. I don't have any info either - maybe she was off at a mani pedi day. or maybe she had a much more serious condition and therefore didn't show up for either day. maybe something is wrong and she wanted her family near her in case she DID win on Sunday. if she had won that would have been a wonderful occasion and one she'd cherish to share with her children.

i have no more information than you. i do realize in the past she has been one to skip out on things. but unless you have specifics - such as hard cold facts - i think you're being hideously uncaring.

YOU DON'T KNOW
    Now say it louder for those in the back and for those hard of hearing!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

YOU DON'T KNOW
    I am in total agreement, sup_fan. No one here knows.

That’s why issuing a courtesy statement at an event your expected to attend is such important PR. If left it makes it appear you couldn’t care less, which of course may well be the case. Some fans being ok with this, others feeling rightfully miffed.
    I agree with Boogie in that it’s rather odd there has been no word from either Diana or her family.

About the only major honor Diana Ross hasn't received as a solo artist is Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If she is inducted at some point, and she is still alive and healthy enough to travel to accept, will she? After all it's long overdue and using the logic deployed by SatansBlues, then she will not bother to attend, and make sure no family attend in her place, nor issue anything on her social media to indicate she was so honored.

Now say it louder for those in the back and for those hard of hearing!
    What’s sad is that we do have to scream this for those in the back row or are hard of hearing

Well apparently Evan and the other four Ross children didn't want to be bothered with the Grammy's half-ass presentation either.
    How insulting to the daughters of two original group members who were there to honour their mothers, for people like you to try and trash it.

So you have nothing but contempt and disdain then for Mary and Florence's daughters to have shown up to accept this?

The truth be told I’m sure would of should up if there was some live event at the Grammies which where not offered how pathetic for the not doing so all they care about tit bouncy they Even Sabotaged Harry Styles stage and microphone so basically it’s all about fiancé showing off the puppies and that’s your voted for her because of her boobies

Agree, completely 100%.

I heard this from a reliable source. Diana reached out to Turkessa and Lisa. She wanted to have a reunion with them. The girls would be treated to a fabulous weekend. They would be treated to a stay at a grand hotel and be gifted the most beautiful designer gowns, worthy of a Supreme. All they had to do was show up. Lisa jumped at the opportunity. But when Diana called Turkessa with hopes to reconnect with her goddaughter, Turkessa answered the call with “what took you so long”, and then had some not very nice words for Miss Ross. It was at that point that Diana said fuck this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I heard this from a reliable source. Diana reached out to Turkessa and Lisa. She wanted to have a reunion with them. The girls would be treated to a fabulous weekend. They would be treated to a stay at a grand hotel and be gifted the most beautiful designer gowns, worthy of a Supreme. All they had to do was show up. Lisa jumped at the opportunity. But when Diana called Turkessa with hopes to reconnect with her goddaughter, Turkessa answered the call with “what took you so long”, and then had some not very nice words for Miss Ross. It was at that point that Diana said fuck this shit.
    Whoa. And double whoa. If this is true, it's a helluva missing puzzle piece. Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Whoa. And double whoa. If this is true, it's a helluva missing puzzle piece. Wow...
    Umm…Sansradio, I feel bad now. This was parody.

Obviously

By issuing a simple courtesy statement at an event she was expected to attend, all controversy and discord could have been avoided. Its basic PR. The echoing silence speaks volumes.
    Whatever the reasons for Diana not attending, her seeming indifference and the way it has been handled is an insult to the legacy of the Supremes, the fans and all the group stood for. Apologists can shout all they like, those are the facts.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-09-2023 at 05:16 AM.

See, you play too damn much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    By issuing a simple courtesy statement at an event she was expected to attend, all controversy and discord could have been avoided. Its basic PR. The echoing silence speaks volumes.
    Whatever the reasons for Diana not attending, her seeming indifference and the way it has been handled is an insult to the legacy of the Supremes, the fans and all the group stood for. Apologists can shout all they like, those are the facts.
    I have been one of those die-hard Diana Ross fans for years with admiration not only for your talent and beauty but also for how her drive and perseverance have pushed her into icon status. I have even swallowed and savored all of that "positivity and caring" chatter she has put out in her interviews, tweets, etc.

Without the Supremes, I doubt we would have a Diana Ross. I agree with Ollie9 regarding her apparent "I don't care about the Supremes" signals she has projected when the group receives some recognition. But she will wrap up in all of those layers of gowns and twirl as she shows up to receive some award as a solo artist.

I used to buy into that 'I don't want to outshine the other recipients' excuse, but I don't anymore.

This no-show was a major insult; and I don't see where she has rushed to give any explanation for being a 'no show' again. Maybe in a year or two, she'll be on "The View" or another one of those talk shows and complain how she was unfairly targeted with her fans'/the Supremes fans' reactions to her 'no show'.

I still love her music with the Supremes and as a solo artist; however, I am done with buying into her positivity rhetoric.

I'm sitting in the back, not giving two shites what Diana was doing that day; having her wig washed and set, or eating a box of Fanny May.

The fact remains it would have taken her all of 3 minutes to issue a statement through her publicist. Certainly the old girl has enough time on a 24 hour day to do that.

Christ, even Berry "the 4th Supreme" had enough class to send out a full page congrats.

we're talking about a women that is nearing 80 years old. have any of you consider it might be possibly something much more serious? again, i don't know. maybe she really was off having manis and pedis with Traci. but she's also been incredibly private about her personal life. what if she's been battling a serious illness? what if she's had substance issues again? what if there was something bigger and much more pressing going on?
    Last edited by sup_fan; 02-09-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Mary - just extending my apologies. i made a post on here and in the heat of the moment included some rude comments. i've deleted those and just want to apologize if you or the other fans had read them prior to my deletion.

I was hoping to stay out of this toxic subject, but after several days of biting my tongue and reading everyone's opinions on the subject i feel compelled to break my silence and reluctantly contribute to the discussion.
    The world is in turmoil. We have the ongoing war in Ukraine, and we have the terrible earthquake in Turkey and Syria which at the time of writing looks to have claimed up to 20, 000 lives. I have read of dying women giving birth in the rubble and little babies perishing in sub zero temperatures, but certain forums on social media are still filled with distraught fans throwing poison arrows at Diana Ross for daring to miss the group she departed from 53 years ago being given a lifetime Grammy award that was at least 30 years overdue.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this, but i feel i must reluctantly offer some kind of defence for the "behaviour" of Miss Ross.
    I was very concerned about the wellbeing of Miss Ross on her UK tour of last year, and i am more concerned than ever about it now.
    The lady is 78 years old and not in good health. I have it on very good authority that she was planning on attending the awards just a few short weeks ago. Her no show causes me considerable anxiety.
    Perhaps, just perhaps she was not well enough to attend.
    You may well say she should have issued a statement confirming her non attendance. You may well have a valid point there, but if the Ross family did not wish to make a public comment then that is good enough for me. Miss Ross owes us nothing. She has given unrivalled pleasure to her fans over the past 60 years or so and has no obligation to comment if she and her family members wish for any issues to remain private at this time. If you feel shortchanged by the silence then that is your problem.
    Thankfully it has remained relatively civilised on this particular forum, but some of the vile comments on certain other forums have quite frankly sickened me. They may well come to regret posting some of those comments in the not too distant future.
    I can certainly understand some of the anger on here, but we must realise that these legends are gradually leaving us. Soon they will all be gone, and that will leave us with lots of time to reflect upon what we posted in moments of anger.
    Can we please move on and accept what has happened. By all means be disappointed. I share your disappointment but she did the right thing for her own wellbeing by not attending the ceremony in my opinion.
    If the family wish to share any information with us they will do so when they feel the time is right. May i also thank Sup Fan for his support and disrection during our private conversations on the subject this week. You have been a rock.
    Thank you for listening, and best regards to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I was hoping to stay out of this toxic subject, but after several days of biting my tongue and reading everyone's opinions on the subject i feel compelled to break my silence and reluctantly contribute to the discussion.
    The world is in turmoil. We have the ongoing war in Ukraine, and we have the terrible earthquake in Turkey and Syria which at the time of writing looks to have claimed up to 20, 000 lives. I have read of dying women giving birth in the rubble and little babies perishing in sub zero temperatures, but certain forums on social media are still filled with distraught fans throwing poison arrows at Diana Ross for daring to miss the group she departed from 53 years ago being given a lifetime Grammy award that was at least 30 years overdue.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this, but i feel i must reluctantly offer some kind of defence for the "behaviour" of Miss Ross.
    I was very concerned about the wellbeing of Miss Ross on her UK tour of last year, and i am more concerned than ever about it now.
    The lady is 78 years old and not in good health. I have it on very good authority that she was planning on attending the awards just a few short weeks ago. Her no show causes me considerable anxiety.
    You may well say she should have issued a statement confirming her non attendance. You may well have a valid point there, but if the Ross family did not wish to make a public comment then that is good enough for me. Miss Ross owes us nothing. She has given unrivalled pleasure to her fans over the past 60 years or so and has no obligation to comment if she and her family members wish for any issues to remain private at this time. If you feel shortchanged by the silence then that is your problem.
    Thankfully it has remained relatively civilised on this particular forum, but some of the vile comments on certain other forums have quite frankly sickened me. They may well come to regret posting some of those comments in the not too distant future.
    I can certainly understand some of the anger on here, but we must realise that these legends are gradually leaving us. Soon they will all be gone, and that will leave us with lots of time to reflect upon what we posted in moments of anger.
    Can we please move on and accept what has happened. By all means be disappointed. I share your disappointment but she did the right thing for her own wellbeing by not attending the ceremony in my opinion.
    If the family wish to share any information with us they will do so when they feel the time is right. May i also thank Sup Fan for his support and disrection during our private conversations on the subject this week. You have been a rock.
    Thank you, Bluebrock. You and sup-fan have expressed what i have been thinking and feeling.

If she is ill that’s another matter entirely. What does make me frustrated is that all the negative speculation and controversy her non attendance has created on the internet could so very easily have been prevented. Even a basic statement to say she was unable to attend due to personal reasons. I really am amazed she wasn’t advised accordingly, as quite naturally her silence is construed as indifference from those lacking a crystal ball.
    I agree, there are worse things happening in the world which is probably why supremes/ Ross fans were so looking forward to celebrating this incredible achievement with the only surviving member of our beloved Supremes.
    Ah well.

Thanks for providing some insight and I hope that if this is a health episode that she recovers and able to enjoy life. While perhaps her publicist could have issued some sort of statement, the respect for privacy and discretion is paramount.

It seems The Supremes legacy is under some sort of bad sign. Motown 25 and RTL were fiascoes. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was marred by the no show of Diana Ross, though given the recent publication of Dreamgirl, understandable. Then Mary dying all of a sudden shortly after announcing the re-release of her music and Motown anthology. Now this, whatever this is.

"Miss Ross owes us nothing". Truer words were ever spoken, and the sane already know this. The Marjorie Tayor Greens of the forum will spew their belligerent and jealous bilge as they have for decades. Who knows what their personal problems, disappointments, failures etc. are; not I.

I'd love this story to be untrue. Who knows - not I. Yet, the Mary Faction has always destroyed everything ever that could have been as regards civility and the Supremes, so ...

And, why would they, when for their entire lives anything to do with the Supremes has caused them grief?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    "Miss Ross owes us nothing". Truer words were ever spoken, and the sane already know this. The Marjorie Tayor Greens of the forum will spew their belligerent and jealous bilge as they have for decades. Who knows what their personal problems, disappointments, failures etc. are; not I.
    I envy your degree of self-awareness of how superior you are
    and congratulations on living a life with no personal problems, no disappointments, and no failures.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Up until now the posts have remained civilised, without the need for personal attack on other posters. Ok, let’s bring it down a level.
    The only member on this forum who has consistently spewed pompous, belligerent, smug, up their own backside bilge has always been you.
    When I first joined this forum many years ago it was you, self cast as the Witch Finder General, revelling in accusations of Ross haters, morons, trolls, toads etc etc that made this forum a less then nice place to visit. God knows how many potential members were put off. Here we be with more of the same.
    It all points to deep rooted insecurity, a fear of not being perceived as intelligent enough in the real world.
    You might not believe it, but I actually feel quite sorry for you. Dear oh dear.

Thanks for the info, Bluebrock.

Whatever the reasons for Diana's non-appearance at the Grammy's it's her choice and I respect that.

I was concerned from the beginning about the extent of the Eurooean tour for a 78 year-old woman and there's no question that it took a lot out of her, sadly unfortunately coming to the fore at Glastonbury which should have been a glorious celebration.

I thought she was actually very good at the O2 on the previous Friday and was just glad that Ihad the chance to see her live one more time.

She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Up until now the posts have remained civilised, without the need for personal attack on other posters. Ok, let’s bring it down a level.
    The only member on this forum who has consistently spewed pompous, belligerent, smug, up their own backside bilge has always been you.
    When I first joined this forum many years ago it was you, self cast as the Witch Finder General, revelling in accusations of Ross haters, morons, trolls, toads etc etc that made this forum a less then nice place to visit. God knows how many potential members were put off. Here we be with more of the same.
    It all points to deep rooted insecurity, a fear of not being perceived as intelligent enough in the real world.
    You might not believe it, but I actually feel quite sorry for you. Dear oh dear.
    PeaceandHarmony is to Diana Ross fans here what the late Marv was to Mary Wilson fans. Very Combative and often toxic. Though like Marv when not consumed with Diana vs Mary, or whoever issues or engaging in fan wars on line combat, can contribute interesting and knowledgeable posts.
    Last edited by Spreadinglove21; 02-10-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    PeaceandHarmony is to Diana Ross fans here what the late Marv was to Mary Wilson fans. Very Combative and often toxic. Though like Marv when not consumed with Diana vs Mary, or whoever issues or engaging in fan wars on line combat, can contribute interesting and knowledgeable posts.
    Indeed we all have a point to make SL, some more forcefully then others. No one should be using personal insults and ridicule of others as a way of putting their point of view across.
    Not exactly the basis of a rational mind methinks.

I stand by that it was disappointing to Supremes fans that Diana Ross did not come to receive her Grammy. Ross did a press release when it was announced about singing with two very talented women Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard and then it ended up about something regarding the symphony of Motown. The Supremes were trailblazers in many respects-for women, for African Americans, women of color among many other things. The award was too long in coming but it was richly deserved. I understand Diana Ross receives criticism but she should have attended or had a child or rep attend to accept the award. In ways, the silence seems dismissive of the Supremes to some people. She has posted on social media about other things but not the Grammy and not being able to attend. I understand she may not want to reveal she is sick and if she is, God Bless her. It still is disappointing she was not there and if she is ill, that doesn't excuse silence but then again social media is like these boards, sometimes relentless in insults.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I stand by that it was disappointing to Supremes fans that Diana Ross did not come to receive her Grammy. Ross did a press release when it was announced about singing with two very talented women Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard and then it ended up about something regarding the symphony of Motown. The Supremes were trailblazers in many respects-for women, for African Americans, women of color among many other things. The award was too long in coming but it was richly deserved. I understand Diana Ross receives criticism but she should have attended or had a child or rep attend to accept the award. In ways, the silence seems dismissive of the Supremes to some people. She has posted on social media about other things but not the Grammy and not being able to attend. I understand she may not want to reveal she is sick and if she is, God Bless her. It still is disappointing she was not there and if she is ill, that doesn't excuse silence but then again social media is like these boards, sometimes relentless in insults.
    Nicely stated Jim with no need for insults.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Very well said and nothing for anyone to get upset about as far as I can tell. If you’re a voice from the back of the room I’m glad you didn’t let them shout you down .