[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motorcity Records

Hi everyone!

I’ve not started a thread in a while but I’ve had this one in the works for years! So, following on from our discussion here https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...827#post742827, let’s go!

This is a topic that has always fascinated me. In many ways, Ian Levine's Motorcity Records project was a truly amazing thing, giving over 100 ex-Motowners a well-deserved career revival, and allowing us fans to hear their voices once again.

The music, however, is not always considered so amazing. Personally, I’m not a fan of the typically very synthesised, cheap-sounding backing tracks, some of which are particularly ill-fitting for ex-Motown artists… whose own vocals weren’t always at their best anymore.

I also think it’s fair to say that sometimes the label favoured quantity over quality…

HOWEVER! I am a firm believer that the label put out some great music and this thread is here to celebrate just that. So, please join me in posting and discussing your favourite Motorcity songs!

I'll start off with an utterly fantastic tune, a classic, and quite possibly the best Motorcity song EVER! It's certainly my personal favourite anyway... and a hit in the UK to boot…

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-04-2023 at 06:08 AM.

STEP INTO MY SHOES is one of my favorite Motorcity releases, featuring one of my favorite groups, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.

While attending the Motorcity Records convention held in Detroit in 1990, I was intrigued by the displays of many of the company's releases, none of which I had ever seen in a store. During that weekend, I became friendly with a fan who lived in the same city as I. He told me of a record store that sold some of the Motorcity releases. As soon as I got back home, I ran over there and this is one of the recordings that I bought.

Last edited by reese; 02-04-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Great idea for a thread guys, I haven’t heard many of these releases, except for the Marvelettes.

@reese, can you tell us anything about the convention you refer to? Was it a sales event? I’m curious, just like to know more about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Great idea for a thread guys, I haven’t heard many of these releases, except for the Marvelettes.

@reese, can you tell us anything about the convention you refer to? Was it a sales event? I’m curious, just like to know more about that.
    It was a weekend event where many of the Motorcity artists came, sat, and fans could meet them and get autographs. Off the top of my head, I can remember Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Rosalind and Annette, the Velvelettes, the Monitors, the Miracles, Frances Nero, and others.

There was a schedule so all of the artists weren't there at the same time. For instance, Martha appeared at a different time than Rosalind and Annette. At first, I thought this was strange. But then I found out that in addition to their releases together, Martha had some solo things on the label and so did Rosalind and Annette. So possibly they were considered separate acts. I was also disappointed to see that the Marvelettes were scheduled for the last evening so I didn't get a chance to meet them as I had to catch my flight back home.

They also had a big screen tv showing Motown specials like T.C.B. and G.I.T., DIANA!, GOIN' BACK TO INDIANA, THE SUPREMES IN THE ORIENT, etc.

On the last day, there was an auction of rare Motown stuff. I remember artwork from Marvin and Tammi's EASY. I also remember a photo of Martha and the Vandellas [Betty and Rosalind]. A fan won the bid and Rosalind and Annette signed it for him, but Annette made sure to point out that she wasn't in the photo.

I also remember a huge card extending well wishes to Mary Wells who was very ill by that time.

I believe there might have been a concert featuring many of the artists as well but I didn't find out about that until after the fact.
    Last edited by reese; 02-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.

@reese,

Wow, how prescient that you thought to attend what really was a once in a lifetime chance to meet so many of the artists. Obviously, it could never have been repeated again. Fascinating!

As they used to say, thanks for the memories!

Syreeta's love fire is pretty damn fine

Let's not forget the Legends Of Motorcity tour which gave us UK fans the chance to see our beloved artists performing live - and largely without the annoying elecronic percussion and so on from the Motorcity recordings. These were proper live shows and so I got to see Marv Johnson, Syreeta, Kim Weston, The Elgins, Carolyn Crawford and Jean, Scherrie and Lynda of The Supremes on one fantastic show in Manchester. My program can be seen here..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...otolist-6tP7Cj

And this is a video of Syreeta's set [[from a London show) where she performs
    Spinnin' and Spinnin'
    Your Kiss Is Sweet
    If The Shoe Fits [[a great Motorcity record)
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours
    With You I'm Born Again.

It is really very good.

And, I'm sorry, but I can't resist posting this - part of Marv Johnson's performance in which he delivers "You've Got What It Takes" and "Money [[That's What I Want)". I loved watching him dance and he clearly is in his element enjoying dancing and entertaining the audience. I give Ian Levine credit for bringing us these live shows.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-04-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Another fave of mine: CRAZY 'BOUT THE GUY by Jean, Scherrie, and Lynda.

@mysterysinger,

I think that’s the FLOs and the Elgins on the cover of your program. Can you identify the other artists for us please?

Maybe the real value, and the best reason for all these reunions and recordings were actually the live performances. It’s great that a lot of these were captured and can be viewed again now.

K

As listed above, the artists on this great show [[and on the cover of the programme)

from top left

Jean, Scherrie and Lynda of The Supremes
    Marv Johnson
    Syreeta
    The Elgins
    Kim Weston
    Carolyn Crawford

Thanks! I should have known Syreeta and Marv Johnson but I didn’t recognize Kim Weston and Carolyn Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I’ve not started a thread in a while but I’ve had this one in the works for years! So, following on from our discussion here https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...827#post742827, let’s go!

This is a topic that has always fascinated me. In many ways, Ian Levine's Motorcity Records project was a truly amazing thing, giving over 100 ex-Motowners a well-deserved career revival, and allowing us fans to hear their voices once again.

The music, however, is not always considered so amazing. Personally, I’m not a fan of the typically very synthesised, cheap-sounding backing tracks, some of which are particularly ill-fitting for ex-Motown artists… whose own vocals weren’t always at their best anymore.

I also think it’s fair to say that sometimes the label favoured quantity over quality…

HOWEVER! I am a firm believer that the label put out some great music and this thread is here to celebrate just that. So, please join me in posting and discussing your favourite Motorcity songs!

I'll start off with an utterly fantastic tune, a classic, and quite possibly the best Motorcity song EVER! It's certainly my personal favourite anyway... and a hit in the UK to boot…

This one’s nice. I don’t know who Francis is , but her lower registry is a good counterpoint to the tinny bombastics backing her. It’s similar to how it works for me with Rick astley.
    She’s also calm , not out to prove what a singer! she is .

There were a few decent things to come out of Motorcity Records. Historically, it was many of the artists last chance to record and be exposed again. I own many of the CD's.
    I bought the 'Don't Forget the Motorcity" DVD around 2010. What a hot mess. Most artists looked like they were filmed in a broom closet, most lip synching [[and none too well). A hodge podge mess. I've kept it but find it painful to watch. I had reviewed this
    a while back. Stick to the CD's. Maybe some people will/do like the DVD. This is not how I want to remember these artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This one’s nice. I don’t know who Francis is , but her lower registry is a good counterpoint to the tinny bombastics backing her. It’s similar to how it works for me with Rick astley.
    She’s also calm , not out to prove what a singer! she is .
    Hey Boogie, Frances had one single released on Motown in 1966, "Keep On Lovin' Me" b/w "Fight Fire With Fire".

If I remember correctly, she won some sort of talent competition, and the prize was a recording session at Motown! I think she was pretty young at the time, maybe 16 or so when she recorded it. But, it was her one and only Motown single.

Then, her next release, 25 years later, "Footsteps Following Me" becomes a #17 hit in the UK!!

It’s what great stories are made of!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-05-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And, I'm sorry, but I can't resist posting this - part of Marv Johnson's performance in which he delivers "You've Got What It Takes" and "Money [[That's What I Want)". I loved watching him dance and he clearly is in his element enjoying dancing and entertaining the audience. I give Ian Levine credit for bringing us these live shows.

Wow, how GREAT Marv Johnson is!! A REAL performer.

Let's not forget the Legends Of Motorcity tour which gave us UK fans the chance to see our beloved artists performing live - and largely without the annoying elecronic percussion and so on from the Motorcity recordings. These were proper live shows and so I got to see Marv Johnson, Syreeta, Kim Weston, The Elgins, Carolyn Crawford and Jean, Scherrie and Lynda of The Supremes on one fantastic show in Manchester. My program can be seen here..

Spinnin' and Spinnin'
    Your Kiss Is Sweet
    With You I'm Born Again.

It is really very good.

Mystery, this is the first time I've ever heard Syreeta perform live. She really is polished and professional. Her voics is every bit as good live as it is on her studio recordings. I'm super-impressed!

Hi!

A bit more on Frances at - https://www.soulexpress.net/deep110.htm#francesnero

Best regards
    Heikki

PMG all the artists on the show genuinely seemed to be having a great time - Syreeta is a true talent and I think has a unique voice. Wish I'd have seen more of her.

However, whilst I can imagine Syreeta singing "Band Of Gold" I didn't think it would have sounded like this. it is an excellent version but sounds a lot like Freda Payne herself. I'm not entirely sure. What are other's thoughts?

Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-06-2023 at 05:36 AM.

I loved the Sylvia Moy track.

Spinnin' and Spinnin'
    Your Kiss Is Sweet
    With You I'm Born Again.

It is really very good.

To coin a phrase, Isn't she lovely, isn't she wonderful".

PMG all the artists on the show genuinely seemed to be having a great time - Syreeta is a true talent and I think has a unique voice. Wish I'd have seen more of her.

However, whilst I can imagine Syreeta singing "Band Of Gold" I didn't think it would have sounded like this. it is an excellent version but sounds a lot like Freda Payne herself. I'm not entirely sure. What are other's thoughts?

In 1990, in the US, Quality Records released five cds of Motorcity material under the title MOTOR CITY DANCE PARTY, Vols. 1-5.

Disc 3 featured a new version of BAND OF GOLD by Freda. This is it.
    Last edited by reese; 02-06-2023 at 01:42 PM.

I like a lot of the Motorcity recordings, but my faves are definitely those by Jean, Scherrie, and Lynda [[The Supremes) and the Martha Reeves [[and Vandellas) tracks.

Another favorite is BARBARA RANDOLPH. I love all of her recordings for Motorcity. Well worth seeking out a collection of her Motorcity tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFV...3GTIL7UPRThpV8
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 02-06-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Bettye LaVette did some nice recordings for Motorcity as well. These are two of my favorites.

Time Won't Change This Love

Have A Heart

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In 1990, in the US, Quality Records released five cds of Motorcity material under the title MOTOR CITY DANCE PARTY, Vols. 1-5.

Disc 3 featured a new version of BAND OF GOLD by Freda. This is it.
    Thanks for confirming that reese. I'm glad my ears don't deceive.

To my own ears, the version of 'Secret Love Affair' by The Marvelettes [remixed by Aron Friedman; 7.38], on 'The Motorcity Cassette Sampler [Never Before Released Extended Dance Versions]', is much superior to the version usually found on CDs.

From memory, the drum machine sound is very much reduced, maybe even completely removed. A much smoother, sweeter sound, with the vocals seeming further up in the mix.

Can anyone confirm if this was the version released as 12" single [12 MOTC 106; 6.05].....

And did it, or an edit, ever appear anywhere on CD...?

I have them....they have mostly all extended mix versions and some of those tracks have never been repeated anywhere else....it was not a easy find even when it was new...it was my introduction to many of the Motown pioneers...

The cassette can be obtained at a fairly reasonable price [[there's a copy on Ebay currently).

The tracks are shown as
    A1 Mary Wells– Hold On A Little Longer 7:17
    A2 The Contours– Running In Circles 7:59
    A3 Hattie Littles– So Far Away 7:02
    A4 The Marvelettes– Secret Love Affair 7:38
    A5 Kim Weston– My Heart's Not Made Of Stone 7:09
    B1 Linda Griner– Distant Lover 7:46
    B2 Brenda Holloway– You've Made Me So Very Happy 5:54
    B3 The Elgins– Take The Train 7:45
    B4 Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers– Find My Way Back 6:57
    B5 Carolyn Crawford*– Which Way Do I Turn 6:47

They also produced 3 CDs entitled "Cream Of The Crop" which contained 12" versions as follows:

Volume 1
    01 Frances Nero – Footsteps Following Me 7:38
    02 Chuck Jackson – All Over The World 7:28
    03 Johnny Bristol – Man Up In The Sky 6:20
    04 Saundra Edwards – Tell A Fool Goodbye 6:35
    05 Ronnie McNeir – Wholeheartedly 8:40
    06 Susaye Greene – Free 8:20
    07 Earl Van Dyke – Detroit City 7:27
    08 David Ruffin – Hurt The One You Love 7:10
    09 The Monitors – Standing Still 4:56
    10 Richard "Popcorn" Wylie – See This Man In Love 4:01

Volume 2
    01 Pat Lewis – Separation 7:06
    02 Billy Griffin – Technicolour 7:37
    03 Frances Nero – Making My Daydream Real 6:38
    04 Ronnie McNeir – Take The First Step 7:38
    05 Hattie Littles – Never Say Never 7:30
    06 G.C. Cameron – Good Times Up Ahead 7:49
    07 Vermettya Royster – Give Me Your Love 7:01
    08 Johnny Bristol – Keep This Thought In Mind 6:08
    09 Mable John – Time Stops 6:48
    10 Frankie Gaye – My Brother 7:07

Volume 3
    01 G.C. Cameron – No Need To Explain 7:45
    02 Karen Pree – Girl With A Broken Heart 7:23
    03 The Elgins – It's Sensational 7:41
    04 The Miracles – Fun Time 5:48
    05 Billy Griffin – True Confessions 8:08
    06 Jean, Scherrie & Lynda - Formerly Of The Supremes – Hit And Miss 7:03
    07 Beans Bowles And The Swinging Tygers – Motorcity Magic 6:46
    08 Jake Jacas – You Can't Turn Back 6:40
    09 The Contours – Running In Circles 6:45
    10 Lynda Laurence – Living With A Married Man 7:02
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-06-2023 at 08:57 PM.

Mystery, that's Freda alright! I love this version which I have on the "Best Of Motorcity [[Vol. 17), Track 1.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I like a lot of the Motorcity recordings, but my faves are definitely those by Jean, Scherrie, and Lynda [[The Supremes) and the Martha Reeves [[and Vandellas) tracks.

Another favorite is BARBARA RANDOLPH. I love all of her recordings for Motorcity. Well worth seeking out a collection of her Motorcity tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFV...3GTIL7UPRThpV8
    Mistercarter, I, too love Barbara Randolph's Motorcity recordings. My favorite is "Chasing The Hurt Away" from the "Best Of Motorcity [[Vol. 2)", Track 10, which I have. I'm surprised it isn't included in the collection that you posted.

As I promised to Westgrand last week, I'm preparing a listing of every Artist and Track contained within the "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)". It will also contain a sound link for nearly every track [[with the exception of a very few which aren't available). I'm hoping to have it finished in about a week or so.

In the meantime, while preparing Vol. 6 of the above-mentioned listing, I made a somewhat frustrating discovery. Most of Ian Levine's recordings were released in 2 versions -- a 4:00 version, and an 8:00 version, which is pretty much typical of most Dance music. Last night, however, while preparing the segment for the "Best Of Motorcity [[
    Vol. 6)", I discovered there are two totally different 4:00 versions of Bobby Taylor & The Vancouver's "Find My Way Back".

Check this out:

This is my copy on the V.A. "Best Of Motorcity [[Vol. 6)", Track 11, 1995 compilation:

VERSION 1
    BOBBY TAYLOR & THE VANCOUVERS
    "Find My Way Back"
    https://youtu.be/6KxKGKpMUJ8

NOW compare it to THIS version which I just discovered:

VERSION 2
    https://youtu.be/2A-EFQVMeT0

As you can clearly see/hear, the two versions are as different as night and day. Personally, I much prefer the 2nd version above.

Now I'm wondering how many other better versions exist of the "Best Of Motorcity" tracks.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-08-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Funny to stumble over this thread today.

It was only last week I was discussing something [[non-music) in a thread created by Ian Levine on another forum.

For me the sheer magic of Motorcity was that Ian allowed us another chance to hear + see so many rare & forgotten brilliant artists. Whoever dreamed we’d hear Saundra Edwards again or Barbara Randolph, Carolyn Crawford, Hattie Littles, Sherri Taylor? Learning that in most cases they could still perform their old material as well as before. And some of the new material such as Jean’s Too Many Memories, Joes Stubbs’ Walking The Floor, Chuck Jackson’s All Over The World, Kim’s Signal Your Intention and many more are really strong. What a thrill to hear our heroes again.
    Yes, he probably recorded & released too much too fast but Ian’s passion and enthusiasm pushed him to make the absolute most of the opportunities while they were available. He put his heart, soul and all of his own money into the project. I for one am very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    As I promised to Westgrand last week, I'm preparing a listing of every Artist and Track contained within the "Best Of Motorcity [[Vols. 1-20)". It will also contain a sound link for nearly every track [[with the exception of a very few which aren't available). I'm hoping to have it finished in about a week or so.

In the meantime, while preparing Vol. 6 of the above-mentioned listing, I made a somewhat frustrating discovery. Most of Ian Levine's recordings were released in 2 versions -- a 4:00 version, and an 8:00 version, which is pretty much typical of most Dance music. Last night, however, while preparing the segment for the "Best Of Motorcity [[
    Vol. 6)", I discovered there are two totally different 4:00 versions of Bobby Taylor & The Vancouver's "Find My Way Back".

Check this out:

This is my copy on the V.A. "Best Of Motorcity [[Vol. 6)", Track 11, 1995 compilation:

VERSION 1
    BOBBY TAYLOR & THE VANCOUVERS
    "Find My Way Back"
    https://youtu.be/6KxKGKpMUJ8

NOW compare it to THIS version which I just discovered:

VERSION 2
    https://youtu.be/2A-EFQVMeT0

As you can clearly see/hear, the two versions are as different as night and day. Personally, I much prefer the 2nd version above.

Now I'm wondering how many other better versions exist of the "Best Of Motorcity" tracks.

Hi PMG,

You probably already know that Ian L went back later in subsequent years and reworked [as opposed to remixing the originals] a significant number of Motorcity tracks, by using different backing tracks.

If so, this would be one of them....as the percussion sounds were noticeably different...and not so readily identifiable as the original 'Motorcity' sound...and disliked by so many.

That sampled and prominent drum roll [if that's the right term!], as heard on your second Bobby Taylor link here, was used extensively.

For example, many of the re-worked tracks [although not this particular one...] are featured on the four CD set 'Soul Giants', from 1998.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 02-08-2023 at 08:40 AM.

Ian has two new Motorcity albums in the making with updated mixes, the first one with following reworks:

1 - BETTYE LAVETTE - TOO GREAT A PRICE TO PAY
    2 - MARTHA REEVES - NUMBER ONE
    3 - JJ BARNES - WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR MELODY
    4 - THE FANTASTIC FOUR - LYING IN THE NAME OF LOVE
    5 - MARY WELLS - KEEPING MY MIND ON LOVE
    6 - MARV JOHNSON - BETTER LOVE NEXT TIME
    7 - PAT LEWIS - HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST
    8 - RONNIE McNEIR - HEAVEN SENT
    9 - EDWIN STARR - SOMEBODY’S GOTTA GO
    10 - G.C. CAMERON - YOU GOT THE RIGHT OF WAY
    11 - JOE STUBBS - SMOKE’S IN THE AIR
    12 - THE ELGINS - LOOK UP TO THE SKY
    13 - THE MARVELETTES - MAKE IT RIGHT
    14 - JAKE JACAS - DON’T KNOW WHEN TO DANCE
    15 - SAUNDRA EDWARDS - TOW AWAY ZONE
    16 - THE ORIGINALS - TAKE THE ONLY WAY OUT
    17 - BRENDA HOLLOWAY - FIGHTING FOR WHAT’S RIGHT
    18 - C-BRAND featuring BILLY GORDON - HALF HEARTED
    19 - JOHNNY BRISTOL - NO MORE HEARTACHES TODAY
    20 - FRANCES NERO - PUT MY LOVE ON HOLD
    21 - BARBARA RANDOLPH - SAVE ME NOW
    22 - KIM WESTON - INVESTIGATE
    23 - THE SISTERS LOVE - TONIGHT
    24 - LINDA GRINER- NOT THIS TIME
    25 - SHERRI TAYLOR - WEAK HEARTED

Great news Soren1974. Will they be on CD and any idea when they will come out?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Hi PMG,

You probably already know that Ian L went back later in subsequent years and reworked [as opposed to remixing the originals] a significant number of Motorcity tracks, by using different backing tracks.

If so, this would be one of them....as the percussion sounds were noticeably different...and not so readily identifiable as the original 'Motorcity' sound...and disliked by so many.

That sampled and prominent drum roll [if that's the right term!], as heard on your second Bobby Taylor link here, was used extensively.

For example, many of the re-worked tracks [although not this particular one...] are featured on the four CD set 'Soul Giants', from 1998.
    Hi Westgrand, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the update! According to my current budget, however, my days of buying every new song or mix that I see and hear are over! Can't complain, though.
    I've had a great run!

BTW, I'm working on the Motorcity presenation we discussed. It's half-finished. Should be ready next week.

In the meantime, here's a taste of what's to come:

BLINKY - "Lifesaver"
    https://youtu.be/UZE4ybVVEoI

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    There were a few decent things to come out of Motorcity Records. Historically, it was many of the artists last chance to record and be exposed again. I own many of the CD's.
    I bought the 'Don't Forget the Motorcity" DVD around 2010. What a hot mess. Most artists looked like they were filmed in a broom closet, most lip synching [[and none too well). A hodge podge mess. I've kept it but find it painful to watch. I had reviewed this
    a while back. Stick to the CD's. Maybe some people will/do like the DVD. This is not how I want to remember these artists.
    Lakeside, I, too, bought this Motorcity 3-disc DVD set back upon its release. A year or so ago, I decided it was time to finally make myself sit and give it a proper viewing. I didn't find it as disappointing as you did, but it wasn't exactly award-worthy, either. To be perfectly honest, I ended up falling asleep in the middle of Disc 1! Out of love and respect for Ian's Motorcity label, I still plan to give it another whirl one of these days.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-09-2023 at 03:50 AM.

They also produced 3 CDs entitled "Cream Of The Crop" which contained 12" versions as follows:

Volume 1
    01 Frances Nero – Footsteps Following Me 7:38
    02 Chuck Jackson – All Over The World 7:28
    03 Johnny Bristol – Man Up In The Sky 6:20
    04 Saundra Edwards – Tell A Fool Goodbye 6:35
    05 Ronnie McNeir – Wholeheartedly 8:40
    06 Susaye Greene – Free 8:20
    07 Earl Van Dyke – Detroit City 7:27
    08 David Ruffin – Hurt The One You Love 7:10
    09 The Monitors – Standing Still 4:56
    10 Richard "Popcorn" Wylie – See This Man In Love 4:01

Volume 2
    01 Pat Lewis – Separation 7:06
    02 Billy Griffin – Technicolour 7:37
    03 Frances Nero – Making My Daydream Real 6:38
    04 Ronnie McNeir – Take The First Step 7:38
    05 Hattie Littles – Never Say Never 7:30
    06 G.C. Cameron – Good Times Up Ahead 7:49
    07 Vermettya Royster – Give Me Your Love 7:01
    08 Johnny Bristol – Keep This Thought In Mind 6:08
    09 Mable John – Time Stops 6:48
    10 Frankie Gaye – My Brother 7:07

Volume 3
    01 G.C. Cameron – No Need To Explain 7:45
    02 Karen Pree – Girl With A Broken Heart 7:23
    03 The Elgins – It's Sensational 7:41
    04 The Miracles – Fun Time 5:48
    05 Billy Griffin – True Confessions 8:08
    06 Jean, Scherrie & Lynda - Formerly Of The Supremes – Hit And Miss 7:03
    07 Beans Bowles And The Swinging Tygers – Motorcity Magic 6:46
    08 Jake Jacas – You Can't Turn Back 6:40
    09 The Contours – Running In Circles 6:45
    10 Lynda Laurence – Living With A Married Man 7:02
    Mystery, do you like the long versions of the Motorcity recordings?

As a general rule I prefer the shorter versions as then I can fit more music in. As far as Motorcity is concerned there's only so much of that electronicalised sound [[my word) I can take at any time. Thankfully not all the tracks sound that way and there are some real gems - I love to discover the great tracks - but some of them I find hard to listen to. There is a great body of work here though, and I've still to discover much of it.

As a general rule I prefer the shorter versions as then I can fit more music in. As far as Motorcity is concerned there's only so much of that electronicalised sound [[my word) I can take at any time. Thankfully not all the tracks sound that way and there are some real gems - I love to discover the great tracks - but some of them I find hard to listen to. There is a great body of work here though, and I've still to discover much of it.
    Yeah, I hear ya regardinging long versions. I find that the older I get, the less patience I have for sitting through long, repetitive versions which soon become boring. Now, if the track is exciting from beginning to end, i.e. Diana's "Love Hangover", Undisputed Truth's "You + Me = Love", or Philly Soul's Sons Of Robin Stone's "Got To Get You Back", only the long versions will do. For the Motorcity stuff, however, I don't think I've ever heard Ian's "Cream of The Crop" 12" versions.

PMG,

I think the long versions [e.g. 'Cream Of The Crop' series] are often very good...and yes, best if the lyrics and 'instrumental' sounds do offer variance, and are not simply repeating punched in phrases.

I actually rarely 'sit through' and pay very close attention to any Motorcity, be they long or edited versions.

It all works best for me as background 'mood' sounds, when doing something else, and my mind is in abstract mode. Particularly effective when driving in the car, more than the sitting room at home...and for reasons I would have to think about.

That way, my ears subconsciously pick up what appeals...while my mind then rationalises what I feel could be better [although just to my own taste, of course].

For example, many of the Motorcity tracks have a 'booom' stadium/arena sound, which is a real plus. And I can hear every word of the lyrics...which isn't always possible with every single Motown track.

The ones with a thinner, almost tinny sound, stand out to my own ears as needing more layers. For example, 'Step Into My Shoes' has a really infectious rhythm....and is a great track, but I think needs the addition of a strong sax sound....particularly on the intro.

Frances Nero's 'Footsteps' has a great intro which catches the ear...followed by a stonking sound, but I think overdubs were used to the original recording. Even then, it needs to be sped up slightly.....otherwise, as it is, there is a sense of 'one, two, one, two, plod, plod, plod' leaden feel to the drum sound. On that track, it actually suits Frances's voice....but doesn't work on some others as well.

I could identify a lot of Motorcity tracks which I think could be greatly improved if their BPM were simply increased, even slightly. Just needs some lightness to the sound.

Beans Bowles 'Motorcity Magic' is an instrumental, and yes, I can easily find that one really hard on my ears...and distracting, even when I try to tune it out....

I particularly like the Saundra Edwards tracks, especially "There's Nothing Else to Say". If anything, her voice had improved than when she was at Motown.

I completely agree, 144man.....

Just two favourites of my own are 'Tell A Fool Goodbye', with Saundra using a softer tone than in the '60s.....and 'Forget It', with a more assertive tone than in the '60s.

I would also quote Hattie Littles as another example, in bringing more feeling to her given lyrics.

While the vocal ability and technique varied between the individual featured artists, the ensuing years and life experience brought maturity to all those voices.

I completely agree, 144man.....

Just two favourites of my own are 'Tell A Fool Goodbye', with Saundra using a softer tone than in the '60s.....and 'Forget It', with a more assertive tone than in the '60s.

I would also quote Hattie Littles as another example, in bringing more feeling to her given lyrics.

While the vocal ability and technique varied between the individual featured artists, the ensuing years and life experience brought maturity to all those voices.
    I really like Hattie's THE TROUBLE WITH ME.

One of my favourite of Hattie's tracks is "Running A Fever". However I always feel that there's something wrong with the song structurally as the verse seems to me to be a line short somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Great news Soren1974. Will they be on CD and any idea when they will come out?
    Hi Tony, it will be released digital-only on March 3.

I could identify a lot of Motorcity tracks which I think could be greatly improved if their BPM were simply increased, even slightly. Just needs some lightness to the sound.
    And that's exactly what Ian is doing now. Here's one of the reworked titles scheduled for Volume 2 in the new series:

PMG,

I think the long versions [e.g. 'Cream Of The Crop' series] are often very good...and yes, best if the lyrics and 'instrumental' sounds do offer variance, and are not simply repeating punched in phrases.

I actually rarely 'sit through' and pay very close attention to any Motorcity, be they long or edited versions.

It all works best for me as background 'mood' sounds, when doing something else, and my mind is in abstract mode. Particularly effective when driving in the car, more than the sitting room at home...and for reasons I would have to think about.

That way, my ears subconsciously pick up what appeals...while my mind then rationalises what I feel could be better [although just to my own taste, of course].

For example, many of the Motorcity tracks have a 'booom' stadium/arena sound, which is a real plus. And I can hear every word of the lyrics...which isn't always possible with every single Motown track.

The ones with a thinner, almost tinny sound, stand out to my own ears as needing more layers. For example, 'Step Into My Shoes' has a really infectious rhythm....and is a great track, but I think needs the addition of a strong sax sound....particularly on the intro.

Frances Nero's 'Footsteps' has a great intro which catches the ear...followed by a stonking sound, but I think overdubs were used to the original recording. Even then, it needs to be sped up slightly.....otherwise, as it is, there is a sense of 'one, two, one, two, plod, plod, plod' leaden feel to the drum sound. On that track, it actually suits Frances's voice....but doesn't work on some others as well.

Beans Bowles 'Motorcity Magic' is an instrumental, and yes, I can easily find that one really hard on my ears...and distracting, even when I try to tune it out....
    Hi Westgrand! I do all of my music listening under headphones where the music becomes a part of me.
    My CD player and headphones put out a lot of high quality bass which really gets me going. I'm happy to say that Ian's Motorcity Sound is no exception!

UPDATE: You'll be glad to know that I've completed my MOTORCITY "assignment" that you recommended! I've been working on it day and night for the past week. I turned it all over to Kenny this evening, so the ball is now in his court. He's got a busy week ahead of him, but I'm confident that he'll upload it to the Motown Forum as soon as he can.