[REMOVE ADS]

New Mary Wilson!!!

Coming March 3rd!

Name:  329147440_746013273581038_8541921415948666657_n.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  24.2 KB

How fantastic is this!!

This is brilliant and so out of the blue. Is it an album or single?.

Looks like a single. Great pic of Mary!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...184351419.html

It is a new dance single from Sweet Feet Music. Paul had mentioned prior to her passing that he had the masters to something that would be coming up and then Mary passed away. In light of the Grammy recognition, this is a timely release near her Birthday 2 years after her passing. Great news for me, at least. I don't have Spotify or Apple Music but will try to get it through Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Looks like a single. Great pic of Mary!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...184351419.html
    I agree Kenneth, the sexy one looks absolutely stunning here. It’s nice this being released with the Supremes being honoured and all. Mary would have been over the moon i’m sure.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-03-2023 at 05:06 PM.

I wonder if this song is from the Clarity sessions that produced Darling Mother, Why Can't we all Get along and Life's Been Good to Me?

Last edited by jobeterob; 02-03-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Very good indeed. Mary certainly crammed a lot into one lifetime. Ta for posting.

You have to admit, Schwartz is a brilliant publicist. But I had to put on my boots to finish the article.

Just fantastic news! Thanks for posting. I'll download the minute it hits!

Great stuff!!

I forgot about these photos, she looks like a billion. She showed me two sheets from what must’ve been the same session but she was sitting on a stool and they were phenomenal. I hope they surface. This pic is a joy to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    You have to admit, Schwartz is a brilliant publicist. But I had to put on my boots to finish the article.
    no question. This infomercial for Mary and Jay Schwartz camouflaged as an article is brilliantly done and if you didn’t know any better there would seem to be no reason to question it’s veracity. I’ve got to give Jay and Turquessa credit as they are doing a brilliant job selling Mary.

What a stunning picture WOWWWWW

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I wonder if this song is from the Clarity sessions that produced Darling Mother, Why Can't we all Get along and Life's Been Good to Me?
    According to Paul Brewer from Sweet Feet, he confirmed that it was recorded in 2015, so this track is not from the Clarity sessions.

I can't wait to hear this and yes this is great news.

Great News.

Bumping up this thread, as this single is out tonight, at midnight.

I listened - it’s a decent enough dance record; not sure it’s got enough to make it beyond a dance hit but then I don’t know anything about current music although it’s not very special or memorable

Someone showed Mary and me a video of when Diana did a concert, stopped for audience questions and somebody made a nasty comment about Mary,” recalled Schwartz. “Right there, Diana stopped them and said, ‘I don’t want to hear that. Don’t you dare saying anything bad about Mary. She’s responsible for keeping the name of the Supremes alive.’ See, there was never a ‘feud’ between Mary and Diana. That was made up by the press. They were sisters who knew each other since they were 12 years old… Mary would never let anyone speak ill of Diana. They were fiercely protective of each other.” , great news is it a actual cd

Mary Wilson’s “Soul Defender” is out now and available for streaming everywhere!

This brand new dance single from Mary Wilson is being released in three versions: a radio edit, an extended dance mix, and an instrumental version of the radio edit. Written by Billie Ray Martin and produced by the multitalented Paul Brewer and John Keenan.

Stream now!

https://marywilson.lnk.to/SoulDefender...

Here's the radio edit version:

Being both a Mary Wilson and dance/EDM music fan, I wish I could say that I love this track. The production is good, but the song itself is not really memorable. The lyrics are too repetitive and simple, particularly in the chorus, and there's no catchy underlying melody. I like the verses. The production during the verses give me "I Feel Love" vibes, which I like. Her vocals are ok, but there's not much variation in her delivery, which further enforces the repetitiveness of it. More vocal work could have been done to really take things up a notch, as I was hoping for some belting notes at the end, which Mary would have been capable of doing [although I did hear some sort of louder singing buried in the mix, towards the end of the track]. That being said, this is an unreleased track and as is the case with many unreleased recordings, often times they were scrapped mid-way through the process, and not revisited, so it wouldn't have been given the extra TLC it needed [ie. Additional vocal overdubs, rewrites to the song itself, etc.]. I still appreciate getting something new, and it's nice to see that Sweet Feet and Universal are still dedicating themselves to preserving Mary's legacy. I think that's important.

I will admit that I've always had an aversion against songs that, lyrically-speaking, tend to be on the repetitive-side, which is the case with the chorus, repeating "Soul Defender" over and over. That comes down to my own personal taste/preference. Perhaps others will feel differently!
    Last edited by carlo; 03-03-2023 at 01:31 PM.

I agree with Carlo's assessment. It's a dull arrangement and isn't helped by the endlessly repetitive lyric. I've never felt Mary's forte was dance/disco music. This one has more of the "Ian Levine sound" which thanks to Gary's recent presentation of the Motorcity Records catalog, I am now very well acquainted with!

Nice to have something new with Mary, but as a gay teen in the early 1990's I was getting too much feel of that time in music, and not in a good way....the repetition reminded me of the music I could only listen to at a party that had I had overindulged at and that went on into the wee hours of the morning, lol.
    Darin

IMHO, this isn’t bad. Not a cult classic, but not awful. It’s a different, dance beat, but Mary’s voice is good on it. A little repetitive, but what dance music isn’t? It certainly won’t replace Early Morning Love or certainly not Don’t Let My Teardrops Bother You in my Mary Wilson playlist, but it will be added to it. At this point, I’m just thrilled to have anything new from any one of the nine Supremes [[or anyone else from Motown).

Well, this track surprised me! I really wasn’t expecting early 2010s EDM-type stuff. But, it’s not bad. Not necessarily my thing, but not bad. I like Mary’s singing and I do like the line “we closed the door… on 1964"… seems to resonate deeper than perhaps intended…

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Well, this track surprised me! I really wasn’t expecting early 2010s EDM-type stuff. But, it’s not bad. Not necessarily my thing, but not bad. I like Mary’s singing and I do like the line “we closed the door… on 1964"… seems to resonate deeper than perhaps intended…
    I’m glad you mentioned that Tom. I liked that line the most.

Funny you guys love the 1964 line, as that line made me raise my eyebrow, considering we already have heard other songs in the same vein from her. For instance, Life's Been Good To Me, Time To Move On, Can't We All Get Along...they all seem to have the same theme regarding looking back at the past, particularly with her Supremes years, which is interesting. I got the sense, from the bits and bobs I had heard of her Richard Davis/HDH album, that some of the other songs they were working on were also very much a similar theme.

I know that The Supremes were a big part of her identity, but I guess there's a part of me that wishes that she would have had more opportunities in her later years, to branch out to different musical territory and experiment. I can imagine how great it would have been for her to have done a real gritty, bluesy album. Thank God for that live recording she did at the Plush Room. I think that was a real shining moment for her. I wish that show would have taken off, in a bigger way, for her.

Its a good song for me because Mary doesn't try to over sing it and its a good song for me.

I tend to overthink things and find a hidden meaning: when I heard the track, I immediately thought of Mary's years of hard work pushing the "Truth in Music" act; letting her voice be heard; defending all of those original soul [[and otherwise) artists in an effort to protect their trademarks.

She was the epitome of SOUL DEFENDER.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Coming March 3rd!

Name:  329147440_746013273581038_8541921415948666657_n.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  24.2 KB

it’s not bad, I was hoping for more because I don’t see much of a future for this, but I think they did a good job with what they had. I don’t know that this was ever a finished vocal, and maybe that’s why it is so repetitive. I give them credit for making something out of very little and the picture on the cover alone is worth the price of admission.

It's alright. Not really a fan of this sort of club music. Sounds generic to me music wise. Dance music really wasn't Mary's forte, but alas many of her recording opportunities she got after leaving the Supremes were in the dance music realm.

I wonder if there any further Clarity tracks that will be released? Or better yet, get that album, even if it's just streaming.

I wonder if there any further Clarity tracks that will be released? Or better yet, get that album, even if it's just streaming.
    What album? Is there something on her still in the can?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    ahhhhhhhh……….. where would we be without Jay Schwartz?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    According to Paul Brewer from Sweet Feet, he confirmed that it was recorded in 2015, so this track is not from the Clarity sessions.
    The lyrics, those that I can decipher, seem to me that they may have been written for the clarity sessions, and maybe it just never got fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What album? Is there something on her still in the can?
    About 20 years ago or so Mary was talking about recording an album called Clarity which would feature autobiographical songs. The Holland Brothers was supposedly involved with the project. Life's Been Good to Me, Darling Mother and Why Can't We All Get Along have been issued from that project. I wonder if other songs were recorded or if Clarity project was never completed? Mary did have a habit when promoting herself over the years of exagerrating what she was up to recording wise. So maybe no album was ever recorded just a couple of songs that could make an album? Who knows until more is released, if there is anything to release.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The lyrics, those that I can decipher, seem to me that they may have been written for the clarity sessions, and maybe it just never got fleshed out.
    You may be right about that, MM.

I wonder if other songs were recorded or if Clarity project was never completed?
    She also recorded vocals for a song called Quest, during those album sessions. Not sure if it had been fully completed. She had posted a teaser for it on YouTube, very briefly, over 10 years ago. I seem to remember there was also a song called "Supreme Sisters", or something along those lines. She had told me that the album was done, but who knows to what extent...

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I know that The Supremes were a big part of her identity, but I guess there's a part of me that wishes that she would have had more opportunities in her later years, to branch out to different musical territory and experiment. I can imagine how great it would have been for her to have done a real gritty, bluesy album. Thank God for that live recording she did at the Plush Room. I think that was a real shining moment for her. I wish that show would have taken off, in a bigger way, for her.
    Some of her jazz or bluesy stuff was really good. I heard her sing some jazz standards at one point and thought to myself, “why isn’t she heading in THAT direction”.? She was really, really good at that. It could have been particularly fruitful for her.
    Last edited by thanxal; 03-05-2023 at 09:52 AM.

I don't hate it. It kind of is what it is. Glad to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Some of her jazz or bluesy stuff was really good. I heard her sing some jazz standards at one point and thought to myself, “why isn’t she heading in THAT direction”.? She was really, really good at that. It could have been particularly fruitful for her.
    Mary just didn't know what to do with herself. I don't think she ever had anyone in her corner advising her to capitalize off of her strengths. It's mind boggling that she didn't fix herself to firmly go in this direction. She could've been signed to one of the jazz labels, recorded some albums, maybe even won a Grammy. What could have been...