In the ones you love
    Going back
    Too many nights
    You and i

....any other rarities???

"Drop the Mask"
    "The Most Important Person"
    "For Once in My Life" [solo Hal Davis production]

soul kiss, Free [[I'm gone), Fight for it, So close [[single remix)

When You Dream
    That’s Why I Call You My Friend
    Did You Ever Wonder Why
    A Mother’s Love
    Where Did We Go Wrong[[New Studio track from Japanese CD of Stolen Moments)
    Let’s Make Every Moment Count
    Back to The Future & It’s a Wonderful Life [[from Musical Memoirs box set)
    You’ve Made Me So Very Happy [[from Berry Gordy tribute album)
    The Voice of Love
    I’m So Happy to See You Again

Although not that rare, I only just discovered this one! And it was even a hit in the UK!!!

"Your Love", from the Voice of Love compilation…

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Although not that rare, I only just discovered this one! And it was even a hit in the UK!!!

"Your Love", from the Voice of Love compilation…
    It was originally included on the box set from the early 90's, and was also on the One Woman Compilation. She performed it on TOTP live from Paris and i was with her at the time. Happy Memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was originally included on the box set from the early 90's, and was also on the One Woman Compilation. She performed it on TOTP live from Paris and i was with her at the time. Happy Memories!
    I love the fireplace in that Ritz hotel room.

How about: "People stop that siiiigh-in'/And get out and vote for...Briii-an!"

"Vote for Brian" should have been the follow up single to "Do you Know where you're going to".

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    "Vote for Brian" should have been the follow up single to "Do you Know where you're going to".
    FACTS! When she lets rip with that churchy "WHOOOO!!!," I get everlasting life every time.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    How about: "People stop that siiiigh-in'/And get out and vote for...Briii-an!"
    I wonder if it was done in one take?. I prefer the recorded version as opposed to the film soundtrack.

What exactly is a Diana 'rare' song?

Something she never sang live even though it was a hit in some parts? eg 'My Old Piano'?

Or album fillers that probably didn't deserve a second listen [[insert 80s RCA song of your choice)?
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 02-02-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Brilliant! I was just watching reruns of TOTP the other week, and this one came on. Late 1993 I believe!!

need a collection of these rarities

Brilliant! I was just watching reruns of TOTP the other week, and this one came on. Late 1993 I believe!!
    It was mid December if my memory serves me correctly. It all went off very well unlike a previous attempt a couple of years earlier when she was scheduled to do a live satellite performance of If we hold on together from Vienna. There was a huge technical problem and the performance never took place. Diana was furious!

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    Where Did We Go Wrong[[New Studio track from Japanese CD of Stolen Moments)
    Not just the Japanese CD, but on all international ones; it did replace "The Man I Love" -- which is only on the US edition. Although it is an okay song and it is always nice to hear something new, I would have preferred that they would have stayed closer to the original concert and left "The Man I Love" in. "All of Me" was left off both the US and the international editions, which I think is also a shame. But it is a wonderful concert!

It was mid December if my memory serves me correctly. It all went off very well unlike a previous attempt a couple of years earlier when she was scheduled to do a live satellite performance of If we hold on together from Vienna. There was a huge technical problem and the performance never took place. Diana was furious!
    Perhaps due to the success of “When You Tell Me” and “One Shining Moment”, her music veered more towards MOR/POP during this period of her career. It’s a shame she was unable to duplicate this success when returning to a more r & b sound.

This old thread is worth a gander, although it contains things that have been released:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...=sleep+tonight

i'm not sure exactly what we're listing here. but i'll do a list based on wonderful songs that just seem to always slip our attention. maybe they just never really get discussed here, maybe they're ones we forget to include on a playlist, etc

i thought that we were still in love - this is a stunning and absolutely heartbreaking ballad from Take Me Higher. the backing track is totally stripped of gimmicks. her vocals are just agonizing. beautiful in every sense

now that you're gone - always found this just an incredible song from diana 80. the bass line is so hot. it's sort of a ballad. it's totally chic but yet it's different. their big hits are so identifiable [[maybe even almost cliche) but this is just a great song IMO

Discover me/I'm so glad - i've combined these two. LTSI is not typically very well regarded by us but there are some great tracks on it. seems like everyone universally loved Love Child but we always debate what to have followed that song up. most people think Shame is lacking and many of us have said Evening Train should have been the follow up. I'm one of those but i think Discover me or I'm So Glad could have also. while they don't directly carry on the theme like Shame or the sound like Train, i think both build nicely off of the more mature and serious persona established by LC. I'm Go Glad is funkier and a nice update of their sound

I'm giving you your freedom - this has to been one of the best ballads from the DMF era. and it's an early one! i find it every bit as lovely at Breathtaking and it avoids the awkward lyrics of Breathtaking. the three voices are crystal clear and gorgeous. one of the best of the DMF era and certainly at the top of the pre WDOLG material

all the befores - this is one of the best of A&S and Diana. the piano work is pure Valerie - i can almost see them rehearsing this song with Diana, N and V at the piano and diana working through the lyric.

till johnny comes - many of you know that i'm not a massive fan of smokey tunes as i find the lyrics too cornball. even on this thread and Breaktaking [[although i do actually quite like Breaktaking). but this is wonderful song, the lyrics aren't too weird, incredible harmonies [[although unfortunately not M and C)

Just say just say - this is one of my favs from the duet album. the intro is unusual. years ago when i first got the lp, i didn't like the intro. and would skip the song. then later when i'd just have the cd on play and wasn't moving tracks, i'd here the rest of the song and love it. but then couldn't find it again cuz of the odd intro lol. anyway, their vocals are just perfect here. meshing wonderfully. on some of the tracks, diana sounds bored but here she's fully engaged

sweet surrender - i do like the WDFFIL album but i know others find it lacking. i think Mirror and this song could have been the anchors of a new, more 80s pop/rock sound for her. not anything jarring like Fool For Your Love but an advancement from the urban sounds of chic. and the backing track to Work That Body is solid too, just needed totally new and different lyric. but SS is a hot and sexy track, great guitar and backing music to it too.

I think there are more "rare" Diana songs in the US. European and Japanese versions of her albums included songs we did not get, sometimes as extra tracks, and sometimes as a swap for another title. For instance, on Force Behind The Power, the International version of the CD included You and I as well as her duet with Al B. Sure. On Take Me Higher, we had Let Somebody Know but the International Edition swapped Swing It for that song. I've tried to gather all of the international released tracks and add them as bonus tracks to my mp3 files for each album.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Not just the Japanese CD, but on all international ones; it did replace "The Man I Love" -- which is only on the US edition. Although it is an okay song and it is always nice to hear something new, I would have preferred that they would have stayed closer to the original concert and left "The Man I Love" in. "All of Me" was left off both the US and the international editions, which I think is also a shame. But it is a wonderful concert!
    It was a great show. We did not have Showtime. I remember going to my cousin’s house to watch it. I’m generally not a fan of live albums. Nothing beats the experience of being there for a live performance but I do often play various tracks from all of her live albums. I particularly play Here I Am/I Wouldn’t Change A Thing and the Chorus Line medley from An Evening With, Corner of the Sky from Caesar’s Palace, and Didn’t We from The Supreme’s Farewell. Stolen Moments I usually play in its entirety. I quite liked the new studio recording

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "Drop the Mask"
    "The Most Important Person"
    "For Once in My Life" [solo Hal Davis production]
    The Most Important Person was a song discussed as an upcoming single prior to the release of Baby It’s Me. I remember scanning the track listing of BIM, searching for it. Has it ever been made available, even as a bootleg?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    The Most Important Person was a song discussed as an upcoming single prior to the release of Baby It’s Me. I remember scanning the track listing of BIM, searching for it. Has it ever been made available, even as a bootleg?
    I am not familiar with that song. It must have been a Richard Perry production? I would like to find out more information about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Perhaps due to the success of “When You Tell Me” and “One Shining Moment”, her music veered more towards MOR/POP during this period of her career. It’s a shame she was unable to duplicate this success when returning to a more r & b sound.
    I think that was a perfect sound for Diana at the time, although I also love the R&B on Take Me Higher and Every Day Is A New Day.

Are you a fan of "Your Love"?

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    What exactly is a Diana 'rare' song?

Something she never sang live even though it was a hit in some parts? eg 'My Old Piano'?

Or album fillers that probably didn't deserve a second listen [[insert 80s RCA song of your choice)?
    I was referring gems such as You and I ,that were B sides or rare tracks such as Going Back from a hits cd

Just remembered Ninety Nine and a Half

There was a children's show in the 70s called Most Important Person. It had a theme song. I wonder if Diana recorded that as a cover for her children?

I am not familiar with that song. It must have been a Richard Perry production? I would like to find out more information about it.
    It’s this song, written by Pam Sawyer and Marilyn McLeod and also recorded by Maxine Nightingale. I remember reading in Right On! magazine @ 1978 that Motown were preparing it as the next Diana single. I pray it turns up when we get the Ross ‘78 EE on the 12th of Never.

Last edited by sansradio; 02-04-2023 at 09:45 AM.

I think that was a perfect sound for Diana at the time, although I also love the R&B on Take Me Higher and Every Day Is A New Day.

Are you a fan of "Your Love"?
    I really liked it at the time Tom, though think it sounds quite dated today. It was certainly my favourite new song from the box set. Due to it’s UK success, i rather expected “Best Years” and later on “In The One’s You Love” to have charted higher. “Best Years” in particular received oodles of radio play and tv exposure.