[REMOVE ADS]

Soul of a nation: Blacks in vegas tv special wed feb 1 on abc

TV special on ABC Wednesday night, Feb 1 at 10p.m
    This version of Soul of a Nation will showcase and explore the history of many Black entertainers who ruled/ are ruling over the Las Vegas entertainment industry. It will also inform viewers of the many historical events that helped African-American residents pave their way into the world of entertainers and the many barriers they faced.

The special one-hour event will feature the journey of many black entertainers who have now become household names. Some of them are:

Eddie Griffin- Comedian
    George Wallace- Comedian
    Janet Jackson- Singer
    Lionel Richie- Singer
    Mariah Carey- Singer
    Marsha Warfield- Actress and comedian
    Smokey Robinson- Songwriter, singer and producer
    Usher- Musician

The documentary will also feature interviews with celebrities like:

Anna Bailey Debbie Allen Florence LaRue Jackée Harry
    Halle Berry Luenell Marla Gibbs Ne-Yo Regina Hall Sammy Davis Jr. Tessa Thompson

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cult...-date-air-time

This looks very interesting and I'll try to catch it tonight. Thanks for the news milven!

no Supremes /Diana.................most odd

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    no Supremes /Diana.................most odd
    Diana was shown and mentioned in the promo video above, which was also shown a few times last night on ABC

I've looked forward to each episode of this series and they've all been very interesting. But for this one, they really needed at least two hours to cover the subject adequately.

I would have liked them to delve more into the trailblazers outside of show business. They touched on it but couldn't really go into as much detail as I would have liked.
    Last edited by reese; 02-02-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've looked forward to each episode of this series and they are all very interesting special. But for this one, they really needed at least two hours to cover the subject adequately.
    After I watched it, I felt the same way. I wanted more. And there was so much more to tell on the subject. Dinah Washington had an off-Broadway show about her which told of her Las Vegas experiences. It tells of her battles with racism and her career in the music business. When her music crossed over to the white audiences, she was wanted in Vegas, but she accepted under her terms. Very informative, but none of it was mentioned here

You are right. There was so much more to tell

My thoughts jumped to Ike & Tina, who [[I hear ...) were a popular second-tier lounge act in Vegas before the 'Proud Mary' years. We have some existing video, in an arc of series starring Sammy Davis, Jr and featuring I&T. I'd love to see this doc.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    My thoughts jumped to Ike & Tina, who [[I hear ...) were a popular second-tier lounge act in Vegas before the 'Proud Mary' years. We have some existing video, in an arc of series starring Sammy Davis, Jr and featuring I&T. I'd love to see this doc.
    That's interesting PNH. And I remember reading that Tina Turner had an act at Vegas right after she left Ike Turner.

Acts such as the Checkmates Ltd [[Sonny Charles, Sweet Louie, etc.), Bobby Wade & the Imperials, Buck Ram Platters, Cornell Gunters Coasters, Sonny Turner & his Platters plus many more were based in Vegas for years. ALSO the likes of the Impressions, Vibrations & others played the same rooms as Ike & Tina.
    Bet not many of those get a mention though.