[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Me TV Supremes

Me TV Supremes

They did a whole Ed Sullivan on the Supremes - January 30

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    They did a whole Ed Sullivan on the Supremes - January 30
    Yes, I watched that last night. I don't think any other act has had a whole Ed Sullivan just devoted to them. As Mary Wilson stated once, it felt like we had our own tv show. They did their first show Come See About Me, the first with Cindy Forever Came Today and the first with Jean Up The Ladder To The Roof. They did choose some more obscure ones like No Matter What Sign You Are and I'm Living in Shame rather than bigger hits Love Child, Someday We'll Be Together or #1 hit medleys which was an interesting choice. It was so nice to see and especially a week before their lifetime Grammy.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Yes, I watched that last night. I don't think any other act has had a whole Ed Sullivan just devoted to them. As Mary Wilson stated once, it felt like we had our own tv show. They did their first show Come See About Me, the first with Cindy Forever Came Today and the first with Jean Up The Ladder To The Roof. They did choose some more obscure ones like No Matter What Sign You Are and I'm Living in Shame rather than bigger hits Love Child, Someday We'll Be Together or #1 hit medleys which was an interesting choice. It was so nice to see and especially a week before their lifetime Grammy.
    An entire Sullivan show was dedicated to the Temptations on MeTV just two weeks ago.

i'm assuming this is sort of just a broadcasted version of the standalone dvds. both the Temps and the Sups had dedicated dvds of the sullivan appearances. plus there was a dvd of just motown overall

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Hey Jim... I think you meant they did their first with Cindy was "In And Out Of Love" [plus Thou Swell and the Tempts medleys].

It's nice to know a compilation show was aired to salute The Supremes! Hopefully it was done with the lifetime Grammy honor in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm assuming this is sort of just a broadcasted version of the standalone dvds. both the Temps and the Sups had dedicated dvds of the sullivan appearances. plus there was a dvd of just motown overall
    I'm thinking the same, with some numbers cut so Me-TV can pack in more commercials.

There was commentary about Motown and the Supremes and their appearances on Sullivan

Interesting that they seem to not have aired some of the most popular appearances - wonder if that was done to keep Motown DVDs selling a little?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There was commentary about Motown and the Supremes and their appearances on Sullivan

Interesting that they seem to not have aired some of the most popular appearances - wonder if that was done to keep Motown DVDs selling a little?
    there's also a youtube channel with these and other performances. i think nearly all of them are accounted for. but a couple might not be out there yet.

Come See about me - yes
    You're nobody DMF - yes
    My world - yes
    somewhere - yes
    itchin - yes
    more - yes
    YCHL - yes
    symphony medley - i don't think so. i know the bootleg is out there but i think they've only aired a portion of the medley. not the whole thing
    fav things - yes
    hits medley - yes
    happening - yes
    millie/rose/mame - yes
    in and out - yes
    thou swell - yes
    temps medley - yes
    forever - yes
    fats waller - yes, i think
    always - yes
    ethel merman medley - not sure
    happy bday song to Irving/ending of the special - no
    love child - yes
    funny girl - yes
    love child - yes
    shame - yes
    i get a kick - yes
    sign - yes
    impossible dream - yes
    you're nobody - yes
    sup medley - yes
    someday - yes
    if they could see me now - yes
    ladder - yes

Hi sup_fan,

Mille/Rose/Mame and the full I Hear A Symphony medley have not yet been posted by the official Ed Sullivan Youtube channel. Fats Waller and the Ethel Merman medley have been posted.

It sounds like the Supremes special that was on MeTV was The Supremes' episode of Ed Sullivan's Rock N' Roll Classics, which first aired 20 years ago. That episode contained Come See About Me, Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, I'm Livin' In Shame, Forever Came Today, No Matter What Sign You Are and Up the Ladder to the Roof. The other more popular performances like You Can't Hurry Love and Someday We'll Be Together, were shown in other Ed Sullivan Rock N' Roll Classics episodes that focused on individual years or themes. This particular Supremes episode was released on a DVD with the Temptations' episode, also around 15 to 20 years ago.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-31-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Hi sup_fan,

Mille/Rose/Mame and the full I Hear A Symphony medley have not yet been posted by the official Ed Sullivan Youtube channel. Fats Waller and the Ethel Merman medley have been posted.

It sounds like the Supremes special that was on MeTV was The Supremes' episode of Ed Sullivan's Rock N' Roll Classics, which first aired 20 years ago. That episode contained Come See About Me, Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, I'm Livin' In Shame, Forever Came Today, No Matter What Sign You Are and Up the Ladder to the Roof. The other more popular performances like You Can't Hurry Love, were shown in other Ed Sullivan Rock N' Roll Classics episodes that focused on individual years or themes.
    i've wondered about M/R/M medley. there are some nice quality versions on youtube, but hadn't look to see if they were "official" ones or not.

i do know they've not always kept some of the brief "chats" after the performances. of course those probably are only of interest to us crazed fans lol but i enjoy them. and the couple of times Ed was just overwhelmed by the girls. like after Fats Waller the camera cuts to Ed and he has just a huge grin on his face and is heartily applauding. then says "they are great!!"

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've wondered about M/R/M medley. there are some nice quality versions on youtube, but hadn't look to see if they were "official" ones or not.

i do know they've not always kept some of the brief "chats" after the performances. of course those probably are only of interest to us crazed fans lol but i enjoy them. and the couple of times Ed was just overwhelmed by the girls. like after Fats Waller the camera cuts to Ed and he has just a huge grin on his face and is heartily applauding. then says "they are great!!"
    Yes, I agree sup_fan. I wish they would also post the clips, in their entirety, including their after-performance chats with Ed. Like you said, they aren't always included.