[REMOVE ADS]

RIP Barrett Strong

From BestClassicBands.com-

Barrett Strong, whose recording of “Money [That’s What I Want]” became the first hit single for the new Motown Records complex in 1960, has died, according to multiple sources. The song was at first credited to Strong, then, three years later, authorship was changed to that of label founder Berry Gordy Jr. and Janie Bradford [Berry’s secretary at the time].

“Money” was later covered by the Beatles in 1963, and many other artists in subsequent years. Recorded in late 1959, it actually appeared first on Gordy’s Tamla label and was re-released on his Anna label, named after Anna Gordy [Berry’s sister]. The single’s brisk sales gave the businessman the impetus [and capital] he needed to continue releasing recordings from the company’s headquarters in Detroit.

Strong was 81. Details on cause and place of death have not been announced.

“Money” reached #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 but jumped to #2 on the trade magazine’s R&B chart. Strong never placed another single on the pop chart but he did place two further singles on the R&B chart in his post-Motown career, 1973’s “Stand Up and Cheer for the Preacher,” on Epic Records [#78] and ’75’s “Is It True,” on Capitol [#41].

Although Strong was a one-hit wonder under his own name, he subsequently maintained a substantial career as a lyricist for the Motown empire. Teamed with Norman Whitfield, Strong co-wrote such enduring classics as “I Heard It Through the Grapevine,” a massive hit for both Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight & the Pips; Edwin Starr’s “War”; the Undisputed Truth’s “Smiling Faces Sometimes”; and a string of classic soul hits cut by the Temptations, including “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” [which won the Grammy for Best R&B Song in 1973], “Cloud Nine,” “I Can’t Get Next to You,” “Ball of Confusion,” “Psychedelic Shack” and “Just My Imagination.” The latter became a #1 hit for the Temptations and was later covered by the Rolling Stones.

Barrett Strong was born Feb. 5, 1941, in West Point, Miss. He left the Motown operation in 1971 when the company shifted its base of operations to Los Angeles. He continued writing and recording into the 1980s, but met with little success. Strong was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2004.

Oh, no! This is terrible news. Another major brick in the Motown edifice gone. Rest in power.
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-29-2023 at 06:31 PM.

Rest well Mr. Strong and thank you for the music!

Just saw this :[[ One of my favorites growing up.

Barrett, I'm Gonna Cry...

Just like the extended version of "Oh I Apologize", your music will continue playing without a fade. You'll reunite with Norman soon.

So sad, my eyes welled up in hearing this, so many great records Anna & Motown and so many in that he was also a superb songwriter. He will soon be with him.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 01-30-2023 at 08:45 AM.

I just heard this on the local radio station news.....another Motown alumni gone, sad news to hear this morning.
    Darin

Mentioned on BBC news....briefly.

Barrett Strong's death was on the home page of the BBC news website earlier and this article is present:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64450921

He leaves a wonderful legacy.

Sorry to learn this. In my music career I probably played "Money" a trillion times or so. Thank you Barrett, I never got tired of playing that song.

I was also privileged to observe Barrett and Norman Whitfield at work in the studio.

Rest in Peace Mr. Strong.

Rest in Peace. He sure was a GREAT songwriter. He wrote a couple of songs for Mary Wells after she left Motown that should have been hits, "Can't You See[[Your Losing Me)" and the GREAT "Such A Sweet Thing".

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear this sad news. He was one of my favourite songwriters, especially his songs for Carl Davis' Jalynne Music, for Chicago artists such as The Artistics, Barbara Green, and post-Motown Mary Wells. If it weren't for his "Money[[That's What I Want)", Tamla [[Motown Record Co.) might not have lasted long enough for Motown to become a major force in the music industry, and produce the soundtrack of our young lives.

Sadly some people will only know of Mr. Strong from his obituary and the news that he has died. Many artists as they age are not appreciated for their contributions until the obituaries are posted and it's too late to give them their props in life.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barrett-s...021520973.html

The NPR station in Detroit did a really nice highlight on Barrett Strong's life & career this evening. They played clips of "Let's Rock", which I never thought I'd hear on the radio, "Money", and Marvin's version of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" as well an interview with Barrett about how he came up with the idea for the song.

One of my favorite additions to my collection last year was the rare 78 pressing of "Money [[That's What I Want)" on Anna. RIP Barrett Strong.
    Name:  299619731_815338896499196_7017639210466847084_n.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  7.8 KB

RIP, Barrett. Together, you & Norman gave Motown a whole new sound of funk which carried Motown well into the1970s with hits by The Temptations, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Edwin Starr, The Undisputed Truth, and Yvonne Fair. Thank you from the hearts of Motown fans everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    The NPR station in Detroit did a really nice highlight on Barrett Strong's life & career this evening. They played clips of "Let's Rock", which I never thought I'd hear on the radio, "Money", and Marvin's version of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" as well an interview with Barrett about how he came up with the idea for the song.

One of my favorite additions to my collection last year was the rare 78 pressing of "Money [[That's What I Want)" on Anna. RIP Barrett Strong.
    That’s fantastic!
    Likewise one of my favorites in my collection is the ANNA 45
    of this song by Barrett that I picked up for a quarter years ago in a random pile at a record swap. Yes it’s in less than pristine condition, but I didn’t buy it to play it , I bought it just to have it , the very record that basically launched Motown .
    Thank you Barrett Strong RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post

That 78RPM pressing of Barrett Stong's Classic "Money [That's What I Want]" is a Great Find & a valuable addition to your collection.

Rest In Music, Power, Peace & Soul Barrett Strong.

May he Rest in Peace.

Another legend gone, i just played[money]the other day...r.i.p.

I was never aware that ANNA released any 78 RPM pressings. Does anyone if this was the one and only 78 RPM they released? A great addition to your collection. Lucky lucky you.

Otis Williams of The Temptations Remembers Barrett Strong.

“Our Motown family has lost a beloved brother and extraordinary songwriter. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

I knew Barrett Strong for over 60 years. We grew up together in the north end section of Detroit, where we lived across the street from one another. I’ll always remember our time spent together at 2648 West Grand Boulevard in Detroit. He collaborated with Norman Whitfield on writing many of our award-winning chart hits from the 60’s and 70’s, such as Grammy-winning, ‘Cloud Nine,’ and ‘Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone.’ He also penned with Norman Whitfield, ‘I Can’t Get Next to You,’ ‘Psychedelic Shack,’ ‘Ball of Confusion [That’s What the World is Today],’ ‘Just My Imagination [Running Away with Me],’ and ‘I Heard It Through the Grapevine.’

Barrett has left his indelible stamp not only on Motown and the Temptations, but on music history in general. His distinguished legacy of chart hits epitomizes the golden age of Motown.”

Along with the "Money" ANNA 78 I'm not aware that there is any other ANNA 78's, it was mentioned as "Money" was a million seller & Juke Box's still played 78's a number were then pressed. Maybe?
    There are however four "Money" 45's, Anna and three on Tamla, one a different version.
    It's one of those records that never tires. The Brown Bar label a different mix. RIP Barrett Strong.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-01-2023 at 06:32 AM.

Legendary singer and songwriter. RIP Barrett.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-02-2023 at 03:49 AM.

It looks like Barrett will be laid to rest at Woodlawn Cemetery, the resting place of many other Detroit musical greats. Arrangements are in the link below.
    Darin

Detroit funeral arrangements set for Motown's late Barrett Strong [[yahoo.com)

Today was Barrett's final goodbye in Detroit. There is no mention of any Motown alumni attending the service.

A final goodbye to Motown great Barrett Strong as family, friends gather at Detroit funeral [[yahoo.com)

Appreciate this thank you!