[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Biggest wishes for live material

We have a lot of great live material. But we always want more! Some songs we have both audios and videos of. Other are just one or the other

What do you want to see most?

I'm hoping audio and/or video will surface of DRATS doing "Somethings You Never Get Used To" and "The Composer". Also audio and/or video of Diana doing "Sleepin" and her duet with GC Cameron on "You're A Special Part of Me".

Of course my fingers are always crossed for more early Supremes audio/video. Still waiting on a live "Buttered Popcorn" and any more live versions of "A Breathtaking Guy". I know there's an alternate of ABG from the 20 Grand performance from August/September 1964.

Oh yeah, would love to see/hear when she did "Fool For Your Love" in concert.

I'd like to see videos of the Supremes' nightclub/concerts, in particular the Copa, Lincoln Center, etc.

I'd also like to see a video of Diana's first solo act.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm hoping audio and/or video will surface of DRATS doing "Somethings You Never Get Used To" and "The Composer". Also audio and/or video of Diana doing "Sleepin" and her duet with GC Cameron on "You're A Special Part of Me".

Of course my fingers are always crossed for more early Supremes audio/video. Still waiting on a live "Buttered Popcorn" and any more live versions of "A Breathtaking Guy". I know there's an alternate of ABG from the 20 Grand performance from August/September 1964.
    I don't remember Diana and G.C. Cameron on "You're A Special Part of Me". The only one I can recall is from Diana and Marvin.

If anything were possible....
    1, Universal Amphitheatre where Diana performed a medley from The Wiz and songs from Ross 78.

2, Flo Ballad’s last appearance at the Flamingo hotel before she was sacked.

3. Diana and Mary when forced to perform as a duo.

4. Complete footage of the Supremes debacle at Motown 25.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-28-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I don't remember Diana and G.C. Cameron on "You're A Special Part of Me". The only one I can recall is from Diana and Marvin.
    I think RanRan meant MY MISTAKE, which Diana performed with G.C during her 1974 Universal Ampitheater engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    1, Universal Amphitheatre where Diana performed a medley from The Wiz and songs from Ross 78.

Ooooo good list!!!

Yeah I keep hoping for more early shows. I wonder when did Motown first start doing recordings? Always hope for a Buttered Popcorn or IWAG.

Sign would be another. And Touch on Flip Wilson

I don't think it was ever done live, but I would love to hear Diana sing "Sparkle" in concert. It is breathtaking song and performance, but sadly largely forgotten. When she sings, "Now you say you want to leave" at the end of the song, it is gut wrenching.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-28-2023 at 10:24 PM.

Would love to see the last live show with Jean and Lynda. Also the first with Scherrie.
    live version of No Matter What Sing you Are.

Ok, thanks I was thinking I had missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'd like to see videos of the Supremes' nightclub/concerts, in particular the Copa, Lincoln Center, etc.

I'd also like to see a video of Diana's first solo act.
    I would have also liked to have seen the Lincoln Center concert. Also, the Farewell at Frontier, their full performance at Motown 25- including the hairpulling and shoving -

I also would have liked to have seen the original Supremes at the Copa.

I did see the debut of Jean with the Supremes in Miami and at about the same time, I saw Diana make her solo debut at the Edan Roc in Miami with her "Can Diana Make it On Her Own" show.

One unique show that I did see was Mary Cindy and Lynda at the Copa. Most of the people in the audience didn't even realize that this was a unique grouping and some in the audience were even heard saying "which one is Diana"

I think RanRan meant MY MISTAKE, which Diana performed with G.C during her 1974 Universal Ampitheater engagement.
    Is that what I meant, oh great wise one of all things Supremes?

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I thought they did "Special", but now that you mention it, "Mistake" seems right. I was probably mixing up Margie Joseph and Major Harris live version of "Special".

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post

Number one you might have a chance at seeing.

Number two, highly unlikely.

Number three, I'm betting if cameras were intending to roll, Gordy nixed that as soon as he heard Flo wasn't going to make it.

Number four, I'm torn between wanting to say that with the passing of time and invested parties dying off, there's a chance that the full footage might see the light of day, but then also want to say that footage has been shredded, burned and the ashes scattered over the Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Yeah I keep hoping for more early shows. I wonder when did Motown first start doing recordings? Always hope for a Buttered Popcorn or IWAG.
    For audio, maybe around 1962, since we do know that the Apollo shows from that year were recorded.

For video, not sure. But Berry must have seen the importance of it rather early since the 1963 Apollo shows were filmed even though it doesn't seem that anything was done with it at the time.

In addition to my earlier list, I would also like to see Flo's performances of I AM WOMAN and COME SEE ABOUT ME at the JoAnn Little benefit. Plus video from the Motortown Revue at the Fox in Detroit, and elsewhere.

Sign would be another. And Touch on Flip Wilson
    We did get "I Want a Guy" from the Apollo. I wonder if "Who's Lovin You"B was performed live at all. We know "17" was in the act at least once, and Barbara was singing it, so that would be a good find, a Barbara led "17".

Absolutely agree on "Touch" on Flip Wilson. Why is that clip so hard to come by?

Is that what I meant, oh great wise one of all things Supremes?

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I thought they did "Special", but now that you mention it, "Mistake" seems right. I was probably mixing up Margie Joseph and Major Harris live version of "Special".
    Ha ha! I do try.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Would love to see the last live show with Jean and Lynda. Also the first with Scherrie.
    live version of No Matter What Sing you Are.
    You'll be waiting forever for the footage of "No Matter What Sing You Are" BG. You can give that dream up now.

Also the full Lean on Me performance on Flip.
    We did get "I Want a Guy" from the Apollo. I wonder if "Who's Lovin You"B was performed live at all. We know "17" was in the act at least once, and Barbara was singing it, so that would be a good find, a Barbara led "17".

Absolutely agree on "Touch" on Flip Wilson. Why is that clip so hard to come by?

Damn autocorrect lol

You'll be waiting forever for the footage of "No Matter What Sing You Are" BG. You can give that dream up now.

For audio, maybe around 1962, since we do know that the Apollo shows from that year were recorded.

For video, not sure. But Berry must have seen the importance of it rather early since the 1963 Apollo shows were filmed even though it doesn't seem that anything was done with it at the time.

In addition to my earlier list, I would also like to see Flo's performances of I AM WOMAN and COME SEE ABOUT ME at the JoAnn Little benefit. Plus video from the Motortown Revue at the Fox in Detroit, and elsewhere.
    Oh my yes, to the footage of Flo at the benefit. It seems like something like that would have been recorded.

I agree about Berry and video. I think there's a chance that he may have saw the importance of audio recording his acts from the jump, be it professionally or personal tape recorder, to help get ideas or help the acts better themselves. That's probably how it was from the beginning thru around 62/63 when Motown was coming into some pretty good money and using a camera became more affordable.

I'm guessing there's a treasure trove of audio and visuals in Gordy's personal archive and who knows how far that goes back and what it all contains.

I also always hope that some Primettes audio will surface. Maybe a rehearsal was taped, the girls vocally running through whatever their set was composed of, the tape hiding in someone's closet somewhere.

Oh my yes, to the footage of Flo at the benefit. It seems like something like that would have been recorded.

I agree about Berry and video. I think there's a chance that he may have saw the importance of audio recording his acts from the jump, be it professionally or personal tape recorder, to help get ideas or help the acts better themselves. That's probably how it was from the beginning thru around 62/63 when Motown was coming into some pretty good money and using a camera became more affordable.

I'm guessing there's a treasure trove of audio and visuals in Gordy's personal archive and who knows how far that goes back and what it all contains.
    I'm sure there is. In MOTOWN 40, among other shots, I remember brief b&w footage of Diana and Mary laughing and combing wigs while Flo was sitting on a couch with Miss Powell. The footage was in good shape and there must have been some reason why it was recorded. It is just sad that most of it will probably never be seen.

My Wish is for two sequels to the Reflections-Definitive Performances 1964-1969 DVD which came out in 2006. One for The Supremes during the '70s and another for Diana Ross solo. I know it's a real long shot but as Mary Wilson would say, "Dare To Dream".

I also always hope that some Primettes audio will surface. Maybe a rehearsal was taped, the girls vocally running through whatever their set was composed of, the tape hiding in someone's closet somewhere.
    You never know what will turn up.

Just this week on Facebook, someone posted a newspaper photo of Mary and Marv Tarplin [[and others) mentioning their participating in the upcoming Emancipation Celebrations in Windsor. I'm assuming this is the contest that the Primettes won in 1960.

Just this week on Facebook, someone posted a newspaper photo of Mary and Marv Tarplin [[and others) mentioning their participating in the upcoming Emancipation Celebrations in Windsor. I'm assuming this is the contest that the Primettes won in 1960.
    Wow! I'll have to look for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My Wish is for two sequels to the Reflections-Definitive Performances 1964-1969 DVD which came out in 2006. One for The Supremes during the '70s and another for Diana Ross solo. I know it's a real long shot but as Mary Wilson would say, "Dare To Dream".
    Great ideas Eddie!

I'm sure there is. In MOTOWN 40, among other shots, I remember brief b&w footage of Diana and Mary laughing and combing wigs while Flo was sitting on a couch with Miss Powell. The footage was in good shape and there must have been some reason why it was recorded. It is just sad that most of it will probably never be seen.
    Was it Mrs. Powell? I seem to recall footage of Florence on a couch with...oh my gosh I can't think of his name! I want to say they were looking at a sheet of paper, a music sheet or a schedule perhaps. He's leaning over her.

There's also this fun shot of Florence signing an autograph and when she realizes she's being videoed, she strikes a pose very animatedly with Pops Gordy laughing at her. That's the stuff I want to see.

Was it Mrs. Powell? I seem to recall footage of Florence on a couch with...oh my gosh I can't think of his name! I want to say they were looking at a sheet of paper, a music sheet or a schedule perhaps. He's leaning over her.

There's also this fun shot of Florence signing an autograph and when she realizes she's being videoed, she strikes a pose very animatedly with Pops Gordy laughing at her. That's the stuff I want to see.
    Actually, it might have been a male [maybe Cholly], as I do recall them looking at a sheet of paper, oh great wise one of all things Supremes.

And yes, I love that shot of Flo signing the autograph. There's probably loads of such footage just sitting. Hopefully, it is at least being digitized.
    Last edited by reese; 01-29-2023 at 11:21 AM.

From that same set, I would love to here her live version of Stevie's "Superstition". Also, from 10 years later, it would be great to have her version of "New York State of Mind" in full [[Ross posted a snippet of it in 2019, so there must be a recording). But a good live recording of any of her concerts around 1980 would be great.

I saw that a few days ago

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    From that same set, I would love to here her live version of Stevie's "Superstition". Also, from 10 years later, it would be great to have her version of "New York State of Mind" in full [[Ross posted a snippet of it in 2019, so there must be a recording). But a good live recording of any of her concerts around 1980 would be great.
    Those are some great choices.

id like her 77-78 tour with songs from BIM and Ross

Actually, it might have been a male [maybe Cholly], as I do recall them looking at a sheet of paper, oh great wise one of all things Supremes.
    My new year's resolution is always to get at least one right against the great Reesetradmus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I knew about "NY State of Mind" but I didn't know about "Superstition"! Yes to both of those!

Oh yeah, I would kill for the live version of "You Were the One" that she had in her show.

my guess is that, for whatever reason, they're only re-airing a portion of the episodes and not the full. was FW a 60 min show back in the day? not sure

so they want to include the Supremes because of the big-name value of the group but they're looking to reduce the overall air time. the girls did 2 numbers: Touch and Love The One You're With. the first was a dud of a single that no one knows about. the second was a big hit that has remained, at least somewhat, in the collective public eye

but then you get the JML episode and they did YWSSL and Lean on Me. again, you could have argued to cut Sweet and only re-air Lean, since that's an even bigger number.

Also the full Lean on Me performance on Flip.
    at one point the audio of this was one Youtube. it's distorted a bit and a bit slower, so Jean sounds a little manly lol but better than nothing

there was also a bootleg of MJL on the Temps tour. it was recorded at Valley Forge, PA and they did this segment there too. very similar but of course Jean alters her vocals slightly with different ad libs which is always fun to hear

my guess is that, for whatever reason, they're only re-airing a portion of the episodes and not the full. was FW a 60 min show back in the day? not sure

so they want to include the Supremes because of the big-name value of the group but they're looking to reduce the overall air time. the girls did 2 numbers: Touch and Love The One You're With. the first was a dud of a single that no one knows about. the second was a big hit that has remained, at least somewhat, in the collective public eye

but then you get the JML episode and they did YWSSL and Lean on Me. again, you could have argued to cut Sweet and only re-air Lean, since that's an even bigger number.
    All of the Flip Wilson shows were edited down from 60 to 30 minutes when they were broadcast on TV Land.

I recall one episode where they cut out the STONED LOVE/IT'S TIME TO BREAK DOWN medley and [I think] WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN, and only show the shopping skit.

what about the materials edited out of Orient? when you watch Motown 25 and some of the other reunions with compilation material, they usually show some snippet or two of the Orient footage and, while still clearly a homemade video, the image quality is MUCH better than the bootlegs we all have.

and when you watch the full Orient tape, they've obviously edited all sorts of stuff together. there's a lot of footage of the girls actually at the Roostertail, not the orient. so imagine the full run of the footage without edits!

I’ve heard the audio many times and only seen a quick 30 second video clip.
    at one point the audio of this was one Youtube. it's distorted a bit and a bit slower, so Jean sounds a little manly lol but better than nothing

there was also a bootleg of MJL on the Temps tour. it was recorded at Valley Forge, PA and they did this segment there too. very similar but of course Jean alters her vocals slightly with different ad libs which is always fun to hear

what about the materials edited out of Orient? when you watch Motown 25 and some of the other reunions with compilation material, they usually show some snippet or two of the Orient footage and, while still clearly a homemade video, the image quality is MUCH better than the bootlegs we all have.

and when you watch the full Orient tape, they've obviously edited all sorts of stuff together. there's a lot of footage of the girls actually at the Roostertail, not the orient. so imagine the full run of the footage without edits!
    The question is did anyone back in 1966 think to save the outtakes? I would hope they did but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

I would think that Motown Productions or West Grand Media has pristine copies of all of the tv specials. I remember many of them being shown at the Motorcity Records convention in Detroit in 1990. They were probably copies provided by Motown.

Another wish that I have for Supremes performances are Deluxe Editions of the TV specials with The Temptations, TCB & GIT on Broadway on DVD/Blu-Ray. Both of these programs were landmarks in Soul & Pop Music History and deserve to be treated as such [and I know that it's another long shot in getting either one of these shows on home video].

Diana at the Forum

Diana in concert during the 1977-78 [[Baby it’s me) era

Diana in concert during the early RCA years 1981-1982

Supremes “Farewell” concert 1970

I would also like to see Diana's AN EVENING WITH... presentation.

Some of it aired in Japan as a tv special but it was broadcast out of sequence. Hopefully, they saved the footage and can restore it to its original running order.

I’d love to see the complete 1981 Forum concert filmed for the “diana” TV special!

i'd love to see a video of the mega-dress number from MSS in Vegas at Caesars! i have the audio and my curiosity is piqued!

Another one is the Central Park concert in 1971. I’ve heard the audio countless times and would love to see the visual. Those short white dresses and no wigs? Gotta see it.

Another one is the Central Park concert in 1971. I’ve heard the audio countless times and would love to see the visual. Those short white dresses and no wigs? Gotta see it.
    oh yes! in the photos the girls are just beyond super sexy. this was a perfect look for them. very chic and "supremes" and yet extremely modern and up to date. maybe the look could be slightly enhanced with a bit more bling on the dress and fringe. but overall stunning

i've heard the audio, unfortunately a very poor bootleg. but still just glad to have it! the set list was:

Feelin' Good/Loving Country/Together we can make
    we've only just begun
    hits medley - Stop, come see about me, you keep me hanging on, reflections, ladder
    love story
    river deep
    love the one you're with
    can't take my eyes off you/quiet nights
    everybody's got the right
    nathan jones
    people [[jean solo)
    Stoned love
    O Happy day