[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross PBS American Masters?

Would be great to have a musical profile of Diana Ross on PBS: American Masters.

Not a bad idea. But if she agreed and was interviewed, would she be willing to talk about her work in depth? Or would she just want to go on about her children? If the latter then I could see the producers nixing the project.

She did do the Inside the Actors Studio interview

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Would be great to have a musical profile of Diana Ross on PBS: American Masters.
    I don't think she would be interested in discussing her career in any great depth at this stage of her life. There are so many topics she would be uncomfortable in discussing in public. It's a nice idea but it is unlikely to ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think she would be interested in discussing her career in any great depth at this stage of her life. There are so many topics she would be uncomfortable in discussing in public. It's a nice idea but it is unlikely to ever happen.
    it would be interesting to have her do some sort of retrospective on her music, not necessarily her "career" which would involve those other topics we all know about. in the Appendix of Randy's last book on her, George did a marvelous album-by-album summary, pointing out interesting facts, data and historical bits. hearing her talk about each and all would be fascinating although i know you've mentioned in the past that she just doesn't have that clear or strong of a memory of each project. probably since so many weren't really recorded as projects but rather just collections of songs

Diana remembers more than what some think. She just needs a great interviewer to ask the right questions. Just today she posted on social media, meeting the director of her 79 HBO concert and the first thing he said. Side note, She also mentioned that she still has that coat in her wardrobe archive.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it would be interesting to have her do some sort of retrospective on her music, not necessarily her "career" which would involve those other topics we all know about. in the Appendix of Randy's last book on her, George did a marvelous album-by-album summary, pointing out interesting facts, data and historical bits. hearing her talk about each and all would be fascinating although i know you've mentioned in the past that she just doesn't have that clear or strong of a memory of each project. probably since so many weren't really recorded as projects but rather just collections of songs
    Her knowledge of her own music is sparse to say the very least. She would need to do a lot of research to enable her to discuss her career in any great detail.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Diana remembers more than what some think. She just needs a great interviewer to ask the right questions. Just today she posted on social media, meeting the director of her 79 HBO concert and the first thing he said. Side note, She also mentioned that she still has that coat in her wardrobe archive.
    Clothes and fashion are amongst her biggest hobbies. I have little doubt that she would be able to recall what she wore far easier than what songs she performed.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I love how she calls it "her wardrobe archive." -- Check it, Andrew, don't wear it!

I don't understand her reluctance to discuss her music,life....
    Think it would be a good idea

If Ross did such a show, I would want a superfan interviewing her rather than a network stooge. We know what to ask and what has been already asked a thousand times. I think she would be more comfortable with us, also.

Let me put it this say, Miss Ross, I would love to interview you on TV or Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    If Ross did such a show, I would want a superfan interviewing her rather than a network stooge. We know what to ask and what has been already asked a thousand times. I think she would be more comfortable with us, also.

Let me put it this say, Miss Ross, I would love to interview you on TV or Youtube.
    So what are five questions you’d lay on her ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    So what are five questions you’d lay on her ?
    BoogieWoggie, I would focus only on her career and not on her family. Family is too easy and too much in her comfort zone to answer. I would have to seriously think about the interview and questions. I would mainly focus on the music and not the interpersonal dramas with others. What would you ask her?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-28-2023 at 11:22 PM.

BoogieWoggie, I would focus only on her career and not on her family. Family is too easy and too much in her comfort zone to answer. I would have to seriously think about the interview and questions. What would you ask her?
    Don’t get me started 😛 Circa , …..besides, I asked you first !!

I would ask her to describe working with Michael Masser. Seems her work with him is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I would ask her to describe working with Michael Masser. Seems her work with him is priceless.
    Yes, and why it suddenly stopped. He moved on to Whitney and helped make her superstar.

Yes, and why it suddenly stopped. He moved on to Whitney and helped make her superstar.
    I was just re-reading Call Her Miss Ross and J. Randy says they stopped working together because Diana felt he was too precise/demanding in the studio. Based on what we've read about the recording of Touch Me In the Morning, he was very pushy in regards to wanting her to deliver the song at the very top of her range, and she found the process to be difficult. I'm sure she kept recording with him because she knew his reputation as a hit-maker and the beautiful results they achieved together. I'm sure between the move to RCA, which meant her getting more of her own creative control [which would have countered Masser's known preciseness], and her last recordings with Masser on "To Love Again", which didn't sell relatively well, she decided to move on from working with him. That being said, when I brought that album to her Toronto show for signing in 2019, she said to me, "I love this one!"

I agree though, it would be nice to hear her discuss these artistic subjects, first-hand.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-01-2023 at 04:56 PM.

PBS's "American Masters" is more about the full effect of the subject's career as opposed to the 'this-song-that-song' treatment. We well know these 50+ years on that Diana does not care to obsess about the past. Her career is well worth an "AM" episode. I don't know [[and neither do most of us) if she has ever been offered such. My guess is that if presented properly [[focusing on individual accomplishment during the Civil Rights era in America as well as female empowerment and personal determination) she may do it. But I'm not holding my breath. Diana has given fans more than any performer requires and I am happy to have what we have and let the lady live her life how she chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    PBS's "American Masters" is more about the full effect of the subject's career as opposed to the 'this-song-that-song' treatment. We well know these 50+ years on that Diana does not care to obsess about the past. Her career is well worth an "AM" episode. I don't know [[and neither do most of us) if she has ever been offered such. My guess is that if presented properly [[focusing on individual accomplishment during the Civil Rights era in America as well as female empowerment and personal determination) she may do it. But I'm not holding my breath. Diana has given fans more than any performer requires and I am happy to have what we have and let the lady live her life how she chooses.
    I find it rather extreme that you would consider an artist reflecting upon their career as obsessing?. I would imagine the majority of fans being delighted to hear Diana offering insights into her incredible career, as with fans of other artists.
    I don’t quite see how that translates into being ungrateful or questioning how she lives her life.

It is such a shame that some significant musical artists will not discuss/answer important questions about their musical legacy in a documentary series like this.

When people share their memories about WWII or other disturbing moments in history, I can't see why musicians can be so averse to discussing their careers in the entertainment industry.