[REMOVE ADS]

Luther Vandross "Live" album being released with new songs [2/10/2023-J Records]

Info From SoulTracks.com-
    J Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, are pleased to announce the deluxe digital release of Luther Vandross - Live Radio City Music Hall 2003 - Expanded 20th Anniversary Edition - The Last Concert on Friday, February 10.

A romantic prelude to Valentine's Day 2023, Luther's Radio City rendition of "I'd Rather" [the second #1 Billboard Adult R&B Songs chart-topper from 2001's Top 10 platinum-selling eponymous album] is being released as a single accompanied by an elegant new lyric video [the first-ever created for the song] premiering online today.

Luther Vandross--the award-winning American singer, songwriter, producer and performer whose exquisite tenor vocals combined elements of R&B, pop, soul and indefinable magic while selling millions of records--performed two sold-out shows at New York's fabled Radio City Music Hall on February 11 and 12, 2003. Though his Radio City concerts would be his last--Luther suffered a severe stroke in April 2003 and died July 1, 2005--the artist was at the peak of his powers during these shows and this newly-restored concert recording captures Luther's masterful showmanship, soulful singing, and deep connection to his audience.

J Records released Luther Vandross - Live Radio City Music Hall 2003, an eleven-song edited version of the concert, on October 14, 2003. On the 20th anniversary of Luther's final shows, J/Legacy are releasing an expanded edition featuring the full concert, with the setlist restored to original concert order and Luther's on-stage banter providing insight into his personality, sense of humor and commitment to his audience and his songs.

The expanded 20th anniversary edition of Luther Vandross - Live Radio City 2003 includes the eleven songs from the original release as well as four new tracks--"Power of Love/Love Power," "Going Out of My Head," "Any Day Now," and "Say It Now"--and more.

Luther Vandross - Live Radio City Music Hall 2003 - Expanded 20th Anniversary Edition - The Last Concert
    1. Power of Love / Love Power [new track]
    2. Happy Valentine's Day [spoken word]
    3. Never Too Much
    4. Work It/ Here and Now [spoken word]
    5. Here And Now
    6. Going Out Of My Head [new track]
    7. Stop To Love
    8. Love Won’t Let Me Wait
    9. Any Day Now [new track]
    10. A House Is Not A Home
    11. I’d Rather
    12. Take You Out
    13. Say It Now [new track]
    14. Superstar
    15. Band Introduction [spoken word and music including :30 of “I Believe”]
    16. Intro to “Glow Of Love” [spoken word]
    17. Glow Of Love
    18. Encore [spoken word]
    19. If Only For One Night
    20. Creepin’

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 01-22-2023 at 05:39 AM.

Is this digital only? If it is not being released on CD, that will be a disappointment for those of us who still like to see physical product as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Is this digital only? If it is not being released on CD, that will be a disappointment for those of us who still like to see physical product as an option.
    I just checked iTunes and they're taking pre-orders for the upcoming expanded edition of Luther's Live At Radio City 2003 so that means it's a digital only release. Oh Well....
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 01-22-2023 at 02:39 PM.

We already have this live set. I wish Sony Music would reach deeper into the catalog and release the Wembley or Royal Albert Music Hall concerts. Luther was in peak vocal condition and had the luminous Lisa Fischer providing support vocals. I would love to have remastered, digital audio copies of those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I am equally disappointed David, but it is what it is. Such a pity.

Anything "new"by Luther is fine by me.
    For the Wembley or Royal Albert Music Hall concerts you can buy the dvds.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Anything "new"by Luther is fine by me.
    For the Wembley or Royal Albert Music Hall concerts you can buy the dvds.
    Did they ever update the Royal Albert Hall DVD to include the duet of Endless Love with Mariah Carey. Highlight of the show, and they cropped from the original release....

I have that duet on the From Luther With Love The Videos dvd

I was finally listening to this digital expanded edition release last week and I love it. It's much more enjoyable with the extra tracks and banter that they added back in, to make this a complete show. It makes listening to this live recording much more fun, as Luther's personality shines through. He even briefly sings a couple of jingles that he had recorded, back in the day.

I would also love a physical CD release of this. I feel like we don't get much these days in the way of Luther reissues, which is unfortunate.

Would be Luther's first 2-cd set then except for his best of compilations.