[REMOVE ADS]

Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson Named 2023 MusiCares Persons of the Year-Lineup Revealed

From BestClassicBands.com-

Motown Records founder Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson have been named 2023 MusiCares® Persons of the Year. The tribute will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Feb. 3, two nights before the 65th Annual GRAMMY Awards®. The 2023 event is the 32nd annual Person of the Year benefit gala. On Jan. 19, the names of the evening’s performers were revealed, a list that includes Lionel Richie, Dionne Warwick, Sheryl Crow, John Legend, Michael McDonald, the Isley Brothers, Brandi Carlile, as well as the present lineups of Motown legends the Temptations and Four Tops.
    Also performing: Jimmie Allen, Chloe X Halle, Lalah Hathaway, Samara Joy, PJ Morton, Mumford & Sons, Trombone Shorty, Valerie Simpson, Molly Tuttle, Rita Wilson and Sebastian Yatra. Fellow Detroit native, Greg Phillinganes, will serve as the evening’s Musical Director.

“[This] will be the first time we are honoring two legends together,” said Laura Segura, Executive Director of MusiCares, in the original Oct. 20 announcement. “With Gordy as the creator of the Motown Sound, and Robinson as his first writer and artist, their music, along with the many others who joined Motown, reached out across a racially divided country to transform popular music, creating a musical legacy like no other.”
    The MusiCares Persons of the Year tribute ceremony is followed by a concert, featuring the above-named renowned artists paying tribute to Gordy and Robinson.

“Wow! How honored I am to be named the MusiCares Persons of the Year, and together with my best friend of over 65 years, the great Smokey Robinson. How special is that!” said Gordy, songwriter, producer and founder of Motown Records.

Robinson said, “I have supported MusiCares for many years and know what great work they do for our creative community who need our help. Recently, when no one could tour, they were a lifeline to those in the touring industry for monetary help and mental health services. I am honored that they have chosen me and my best friend to share this beautiful honor and celebrate with you all together.”
    Since 1991, money raised from this gala goes toward MusiCares programs and services that assist the music community, including physical and mental health, addiction recovery, preventative clinics, unforeseen personal emergencies, and disaster relief.
    Gordy and Robinson join a prestigious list of recent MusiCares honorees including 2022’s Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Dolly Parton, and Tom Petty.

Congratulations to Berry and Smokey for such a deserving, time-honored award!