[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Turned 62

The 62nd anniversary of the Supremes signing with Motown came and went yesterday without a peep. Y'all slipping.

In belated honor, what's ONE song you would play for someone who wanted to know what it is that makes you a Supremes fan? What's one song that captures everything about the group that you love so much?

Mine would be "A Breathtaking Guy". Diana's beautiful lead, coupled with Flo and Mary's [[and I suspect Diana's) gorgeous harmonies, this is the kind of stuff that made me a superfan. If I stuck to the hit singles, I'd still be a fan, but I don't know that I would have ever considered myself a superfan. It's the lesser known cuts, the album cuts, and the previously unreleased cuts that really show off what I love the most about the Supremes. While I love all the groupings, I don't love them equally, and for me all live in the shadow of the original trio. It gets no better than Flo, Diana and Mary for me and "A Breathtaking Guy" is a song that sums up what I love about them the most.

Btw, you don't have to limit your choice to the original trio. If you love any of the 70s groupings, or even DRATS, more than anything, list it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    In belated honor, what's ONE song you would play for someone who wanted to know what it is that makes you a Supremes fan? What's one song that captures everything about the group that you love so much?
    For me the one song that captures everything I love about The Supremes is "Where Did Our Love Go".

A tough one, but the utterly joyous “I Hear A Symphony” would have to be my choice. Supreme in every way.

There are quite a few that I love- Reflections, Where Did Our Love Go,I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking, Let Yourself Go and Up The Ladder To The Roof was the first record I ever bought but ultimately Stoned Love stands out right now

hmm i might do Lazy Bones, or Blue Room or Bring It On Home. I'm assuming the friend would already have some basic acquaintance with the group and their big hits. but to demonstrate their versatility. maybe the Fats Waller medley from Sullivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    For me the one song that captures everything I love about The Supremes is "Where Did Our Love Go".
    I appreciate and love "Where Did Our Love Go"; however, what puts it further down the list of definitive Supremes songs to me is that Flo is hardly audible [[if her voice is on there at all), and I don't hear their beautiful harmony utilized. I might choose "Come See About Me" to be the one that captures their vocals the best from their 'hits' catalogue.

Come See About Me, You Keep Me Hanging On and You Can't Hurry Love are what ultimately says The Supremes to me. If I had to pick one though it'd be Come See About Me.

If I had to choose one of the non-hits I'd go with It's All Your Fault.

if i had to pick which of the top hits to highlight:

You cant hurry love
    You keep me hangin on
    reflections
    Stop in the name of love
    Come see about me

The 62nd anniversary of the Supremes signing with Motown came and went yesterday without a peep. Y'all slipping.

Love is Like an Itching in My Heart

Interesting thread, RanRan. Interesting choices and thoughts, too. Difficult choice to make!

My first thoughts included Where Did Our Love Go, Come See About Me, You Can't Hurry Love, - for me the quintessential Supremes hits. But as pointed out, Where Did Our Love Go sounds like just Diana & Mary, Come See About Me sounds like mostly Diana & Flo though Mary's there, and Flo may not even be on You Can't Hurry Love. Ultimately, I choose Come See About Me.

I agree that A Breathtaking Guy is a great showcase. I also love I'm Giving You Your Freedom, I'm So Glad Heartaches Don't Last Always, Lazy Bones, Sincerely, My Romance or Where or When, among many others. Lol. I said this was a difficult choice!

Heard stop in the name of love today and found myself singing along.
    Probably my first choice along with. Songs previously mentioned,
    Come see about me
    You can't hurry love ,
    love is an itching in my heart,
    You keep me hanging on,
    Love the Motown story version of YKMHO.
    Maybe My World Is Empty

Other favs
    Up the ladder to the roof
    Gonna let my heart do the walking
    Non single
    Mr blues
    Breath taking guy
    Standing at the crossroads
    Going down for the third time
    I'll set you free

Mine would be "A Breathtaking Guy". Diana's beautiful lead, coupled with Flo and Mary's [[and I suspect Diana's) gorgeous harmonies, this is the kind of stuff that made me a superfan. If I stuck to the hit singles, I'd still be a fan, but I don't know that I would have ever considered myself a superfan. It's the lesser known cuts, the album cuts, and the previously unreleased cuts that really show off what I love the most about the Supremes. While I love all the groupings, I don't love them equally, and for me all live in the shadow of the original trio. It gets no better than Flo, Diana and Mary for me and "A Breathtaking Guy" is a song that sums up what I love about them the most.

Gotta second this emotion. I heard this song way after knowing all their hits, and I was struck by the difference in mood and the harmonies. So hauntingly beautiful, especially when they sing their individual parts in the chorus. Love the song!

I also love the Marvelettes totally deconstructed version as well, of course as Wanda is my well known favorite singer.

My World Is Empty is my fav track. I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    My World Is Empty is my fav track. I just love it.
    100% agree with you Roberta. It is also a personal favourite of Miss Ross and i am so glad she performed it in the UK last year.

Diana Ross & The Supremes - "Everything Is Good About You"
    The New Supremes - "Up The Ladder To The Roof"
    Diana solo - "When You Tell Me That You Love Me"

If I had to chose one song, it would be Back In My Arms Again. Especially with the American TV video where they begin in the shadows. It all shouts out the Supremes at their best, vocals, visual presence and a great interplay with "How can Mary..." and "Flo she don't know...".

Great times.

I Hear A Symphony was Berry Gordy’s most favourite Supremes recording. He chose it as his Desert Island Disc pic. Great minds think alike.

Although a B-side, I will submit "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" to demonstrate the beautiful background vocals, in harmony, by Mary and Florence which accompanies the rich, syrupy voice of Diana. This was on the third song I ever heard the Supremes sing. The other songs were Back in My Arms and I Hear a Symphony which was the A-side to WCEDML.
    The only drawback to this as a prime example of the Supreme's sound is that the backing vocals only repeat the same line over and over throughout the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    It doesn't capture everything I love because Flo is barely audible, if at all. However, I gotta say I NEVER get tired of "Where Did Our Love Go". If I went five years never hearing "Baby Love" or "Stop In the Name of Love", I'd be okay. I have to play "Where Did Our Love Go" at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I appreciate and love "Where Did Our Love Go"; however, what puts it further down the list of definitive Supremes songs to me is that Flo is hardly audible [[if her voice is on there at all), and I don't hear their beautiful harmony utilized. I might choose "Come See About Me" to be the one that captures their vocals the best from their 'hits' catalogue.
    Yeah, where's Flo? Lol In an interview Mary did with- I think- Harry Weinger she mentioned how Mary is the only voice one can hear in the background. She makes it a point to say Flo is there, and Harry [[I'm almost positive it's Harry) confirms that she's there, but somehow in a rare move Flo is buried under Mary. Usually it was the other way around.

I agree about "Come See About Me". It's an excellent example of the group effort.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Gotta second this emotion. I heard this song way after knowing all their hits, and I was struck by the difference in mood and the harmonies. So hauntingly beautiful, especially when they sing their individual parts in the chorus. Love the song!

I also love the Marvelettes totally deconstructed version as well, of course as Wanda is my well known favorite singer.
    Believe it or not, I too love the Marvelettes version. It's different enough that for me it's easy to judge each song on it's own merits rather than compare them. I actually play it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I Hear A Symphony was Berry Gordy’s most favourite Supremes recording. He chose it as his Desert Island Disc pic. Great minds think alike.
    Oh yeah, like Berry Gordy ever had a good idea. What did he ever do for the Supremes?

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Although a B-side, I will submit "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" to demonstrate the beautiful background vocals, in harmony, by Mary and Florence which accompanies the rich, syrupy voice of Diana. This was on the third song I ever heard the Supremes sing. The other songs were Back in My Arms and I Hear a Symphony which was the A-side to WCEDML.
    The only drawback to this as a prime example of the Supreme's sound is that the backing vocals only repeat the same line over and over throughout the song.
    Interesting choice! While I agree that the ladies sound good on the backing vocals, as you point out, they don't do a whole lot. On the other hand, this is one of my favorite Diana vocals. Gosh, I wish over the years she had taken to adding obscure songs from her catalog to her live shows. I would love to have heard her revisit this song.

heard Reflections today while i was in the market. been hearing alot of Supremes lately on radio. Grammys??
    a classic tune

Oh yeah, like Berry Gordy ever had a good idea. What did he ever do for the Supremes?
    Privately or career wise?. Spot on this time methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    heard Reflections today while i was in the market. been hearing alot of Supremes lately on radio. Grammys??
    a classic tune
    I heard Lovelight playing in the supermarket last weekend. I had to do a double take.

I will go with Back in my Arms Again. Partly because the music on this is quintessential mid 60s Motown sound. Add in the vocal interplay between lead and background and name checking Mary and Flo in a humorous way and you've peak Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I will go with Back in my Arms Again. Partly because the music on this is quintessential mid 60s Motown sound. Add in the vocal interplay between lead and background and name checking Mary and Flo in a humorous way and you've peak Supremes.
    My thoughts in my earlier post - it doesn't get much better IMO. Do you like the TV performance too with the shadow beginning? Such a classy group with a fun edge to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Roverab said:
    If I had to chose one song, it would be Back In My Arms Again. Especially with the American TV video where they begin in the shadows. It all shouts out the Supremes at their best, vocals, visual presence and a great interplay with "How can Mary..." and "Flo she don't know...".
    OK, guys, you've convinced me. BIMAA is a great choice for the one Supremes song.
    It is quintessential mid 60s Motown [the pounding beat, the horns & chimes] and it spotlights the vocals of all three ladies.

BIMAA may not be remembered as much but it also was a #1. I also love that Hullabaloo appearance. Song and performance really are quintessential Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    My thoughts in my earlier post - it doesn't get much better IMO. Do you like the TV performance too with the shadow beginning? Such a classy group with a fun edge to it.
    Roverab, one of the first videos of The Supremes "in action" I ever saw back in the late '80s was that performance of "Back In My Arms Again" on "Hullabaloo" as part of the "Girl Groups: Story Of A Sound" video. I LOVED it. It was SO cool that they started in the shadows and then the lights came up...! Then Flo's sassy-fun reaction to Diana's mentioning her name in the song. It gave the song [alone] an even more fun aspect!

Just for you, here's the performance--complete with Frankie Avalon intro and the full, shadowed intro:

The video is being blocked from viewing on other websites besides YouTube, so... in case it's easier for others, here's the actual link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHn-q7Qqqi8
    Last edited by danman869; 01-19-2023 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added actual video link

Thanks Danman869. This is a fantastic video on every front.

No group ever deserved their name so much and this video simply proves it. Three different personas but one fantastic group. Perfect!

This is almost [almost ] impossible, but I think I’d go with "Come See About Me", which I can never have enough of.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Roverab, one of the first videos of The Supremes "in action" I ever saw back in the late '80s was that performance of "Back In My Arms Again" on "Hullabaloo" as part of the "Girl Groups: Story Of A Sound" video. I LOVED it. It was SO cool that they started in the shadows and then the lights came up...! Then Flo's sassy-fun reaction to Diana's mentioning her name in the song. It gave the song [alone] an even more fun aspect!

Just for you, here's the performance--complete with Frankie Avalon intro and the full, shadowed intro:

The video is being blocked from viewing on other websites besides YouTube, so... in case it's easier for others, here's the actual link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHn-q7Qqqi8
    That clip is pure magic. The Supremes are unbeatable and the best girl group EVER IMO.

To my above claim that "Everything Is Good About You" is my favorite DRATS track, I've gotta add that my favorite of their hits is "I Hear A Symphony". Even the Arrid TV commercial featuring Diana, Mary & Cindy performing "I Hear A Symphony" live on stage with their perspiration-free arms outsretched was magical!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-22-2023 at 04:23 PM.