[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super interesting read!

If The Isley Bothers did record a version of I Heard it Through The Grapevine, it seems to be burried deep and yet to see the light of day. As discussed, there's more then one odd decision regarding Motown maintenance of their legacy/integrity. But that shouldn't stop the 'original' recording coming out.

The 'original' recording of IHITTG is the stuff of legand, even making a prominent pop up in the Histsville documentary, with Berry Gordy calling his PA for confirmation. If Ron Isley's story is true, The Isley Bothers recorded the first version after Marvin Gaye's original demo version in 1966, using the same backing track. The The Miracles cut their first version, also in 1966.

And then the track went on live more Motown lives than Dr Who;
    Gladys Knight & The Pips [[1967)
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles [[with new vocals 1968)
    Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers [[1967)
    Marvin Gaye [[& The Andantes 1968)
    The Temptations [[1968)
    The Rustix [[1969)
    Sounds Nice ft Tim Mycroft [[1970)
    The Undisputed Truth [[1970)
    Rare Earth [[1978)
    Bettye LaVette [[1982)
    Michael McDonald [[2003)
    Calum Scott w/ Ray Parker Jr [[2018)

I always thought a Stevie Wonder interpretation of IHITTG circa 1968-1972 would have had huge potential. We have his live renditions to only imagine could have been.

The other interesting Isley Brothers song from Soul On The Rocks is that they recorded a cover of Whispers [[Getting Louder) - a 1966 Jackie Wilson song backed by The Funk Brothers and The Andantes. I mean, that had BG beef written all over it… Perhaps he was too busy.

In summary I agree, The Isley Brothers tenure at Motown - though fraught with tension and denied its true potential - was and is a phenomenal contribution to Black Music history.

We know it even if those involved don’t wanna talk about it.

In the meantime, here’s praying there really is an Isley Brothers version of Grapevine, which will someday surface and grace our ear and their legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    They may only have made two LPs, but when you're an Isleys fan, well....... these are my CDs. I'm sure you understand.

Attachment 20269

I would always feel a thrill when I used to play Motown Disco Classics Vol. 2 on LP - the 'Non-Stop' one with the 'M' cut out and that 'gold' paper poster inside that for some reason absorbed your fingerprints. When 'There's No Stopping Us Now' ended, the fuzz guitar of 'Got To Have You Back' immediately kicked in. Pure Ivy Hunter magic! It's so true that the Isley Brothers never made a bad side at Hitsville.
    Whoa, all this product from a couple albums' worth of material! Yikes, you are indeed a fan[[atic!). I suppose I might have to admit I might buy many variations of Marvelettes albums, but they had a pretty extensive Motown catalog. Great collection though!

But there are far more than 24 [[2 LPs) worth of Isley Bros Motown recordings.
    The Anthology show us this.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    But there are far more than 24 [[2 LPs) worth of Isley Bros Motown recordings.
    The Anthology show us this.
    Indeed there are Snake a lot more. The Grapevine question is easy to answer the track when written was 'assigned to' the Isley Brothers but nothing was ever taken further than that, the Miracles had first crack by the looks of things with a demo for the temptations being overdubbed by Marvin, then a new version by GK and the Pips, then the Vancouvers, then the Temptations [[again) etc. etc. etc. Having thoroughly looked through the vaults for the anthology I think we can say the well is dry for the Isleys apart from alternate takes - certainly NO eveidence of there ever being a version of Grapevine by the trio - more's the pity. Interestingly there is a band track for the Supremes and the Temptations which also never recieved vocals
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 01-23-2023 at 03:26 PM.

It's like Tommy Good's mystical "Ask The Lonely".

There's a suggestion that the IHITTG backing track, intended for The Isleys was later used for The Temptations.

From 2014.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Grapevine-quot

Sad but there it is [[or maybe we've been searching on the wrong tapes?). It's a lost cause. Shame.

Here is a Free Press article explaining about the Grammy related MusiCares tribute to be held in Los Angeles on 2/3/23 which outlines several Motown artists who will be performing at the ceremony. The performance will be a tribute to Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson.

The performers are Temptations, Four Tops, Lionel Richie, Valarie Simpson, and THE ISLEY BROTHERS. WOW.

I was a little sketchy on the exact number of Isley Brothers still alive who will be the performers. According to the internet Ron Isley age 81 and Rudolph Isley age 83 are still alive. The third Isley Brother O'Kelly died so there will more than likely be two of the original three performing. After all these years that is phenomenal.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...p/69823089007/

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was a little sketchy on the exact number of Isley Brothers still alive who will be the performers. According to the internet Ron Isley age 81 and Rudolph Isley age 83 are still alive. The third Isley Brother O'Kelly died so there will more than likely be two of the original three performing. After all these years that is phenomenal.
    It will most likely be Ron and younger brother Ernie. Rudolph left the group some time ago to become a minister, I believe.

Nice post, of all the great isley bros. Recordings for motown and beyond, my fav is actually the killer[b-side- there's no love left]!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Indeed there are Snake a lot more. The Grapevine question is easy to answer the track when written was 'assigned to' the Isley Brothers but nothing was ever taken further than that, the Miracles had first crack by the looks of things with a demo for the temptations being overdubbed by Marvin, then a new version by GK and the Pips, then the Vancouvers, then the Temptations [[again) etc. etc. etc. Having thoroughly looked through the vaults for the anthology I think we can say the well is dry for the Isleys apart from alternate takes - certainly NO eveidence of there ever being a version of Grapevine by the trio - more's the pity. Interestingly there is a band track for the Supremes and the Temptations which also never recieved vocals
    Thanks as always Paul. Makes it pretty clear. That's interesting that there was almost a version by The Supremes and The Temptations. I can imagine how that would have sounded

It's a shame Martha Reeves and Gladys aren't up there in the MusiCares line up along with Isley Brothers to keep the torch for female Motown artists. Still it's a fair tribute to Smokey and Berry and keeps their legacy alive.