[REMOVE ADS]

The Valadiers "No Competition"

Wasn't sure where to post this - the track "No Competition" featured on both the EU "Dancing In The Streets" series [["Blue Eyed Soul" Volume 14) and on "The Best Of Motorcity" Volume 15 but this version surpasses the earlier one by some margin. In fact it's a classic. I'm getting shades of "Midnight Johnny". Love it.

This is what Ian Levine says about it
    "This song is by The Valadiers and was co-written with me and lead singer of The Satintones, Vernon Williams, who has now sadly passed away to that Soul Heaven in the sky. It is a fun stomping piece of Motownesque exuberance. We remixed and revisited it for our 2006 album "Solid Ground". I must particularly thank "Hitsville Chalky", real name Roy Gennard, who went to Detroit and specially filmed this performance. Let's just say they've still got it!! The Valadiers were Motown's first official white group, but fooled everybody because lead singer Stewart Avig's voice sounded so black. Despite recording a multitude of songs between 1960 and 1963, they only had three singles released, their huge hit "Greetings This Is Uncle Sam", released in October 1961 on the Miracle label, and their two follow ups, "Because I Love Her", in May 1962, and "I Found A Girl" in January 1963, both on the Gordy Label. The last of these was released in England on the Oriole label's Motown series. The group never actually split up, but changed their name to The Latin Counts and became a more multi-racial group, as Stewart changed members of his group over the years. The Latin Counts have had many local Detroit releases on independent labels through the last forty years. When we arrived in Detroit, in March 1989, original lead singer, Stewart Avig, came to see me at the St. Regis Hotel and asked me to record them, if they changed their name back to The Valadiers. In recent years, they have merged with another mid Sixties Detroit group, The Shades Of Blue, who made the hit "Oh How Happy", which was originally written for them by Edwin Starr. The Valadiers were booked to come over to England for a Soul Weekender in Northampton and I was bitterly saddened and disappointed that their appearance got cancelled, that was truly unfair."

And now it seems I must look out for a 2006 album called "Solid Ground". It's a never ending story lol

Here is the album "Solid Ground" . . . .

https://www.discogs.com/release/3485...s-Solid-Ground

Tracks

1 Sidney Barnes– Standing On Solid Ground 3:47
    2 Noel McKoy– Determined Man 3:17
    3 Brenda Edwards– Fight For The Right 3:18
    4 The Four Vandals– Without The Music 3:24
    5 Big Al Ryden And The Commendations– Make A Commitment 3:07
    6 Bettye Lavette– Right Out Of Time 3:30
    7 C.P. Spencer– This Man Needs You 3:14
    8 Frances Nero– Mister Right 3:18
    9 Vee McDonald*– You're My Loveline 3:13
    10 Hildia Campbell– Ten Out Of Ten 3:05
    11 Billy Preston– You Are The Rhythm Of My Life 3:16
    12 Barbara Randolph– From The Start 3:16
    13 Marv Johnson– Better Love Next Time 3:13
    14 The Four Vandals– One Way To Danger 3:13
    15 Noel McKoy– Shadow Of A Dream 3:26
    16 The Valadiers– No Competition 3:31
    17 The Elgins– Don't Wait Around 3:40
    18 The Andantes– No More Bridges To Cross 3:18
    19 Edwin Starr And Pat Lewis– Dazzled 3:07
    20 Freda Payne– Only Minutes Away 3:15
    21 Noel McKoy– Read Between The Lines 3:31
    22 Hildia Campbell– On The Double 3:14
    23 Tammi Lavette– It's All Up To You 3:18

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And now it seems I must look out for a 2006 album called "Solid Ground". It's a never ending story lol
    And I'm right here to say that, yes, you must look out for 'Solid Ground'..

The Valadiers have still got it, mystery. Thanks, I enjoyed that!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this - the track "No Competition" featured on both the EU "Dancing In The Streets" series [["Blue Eyed Soul" Volume 14) and on "The Best Of Motorcity" Volume 15 but this version surpasses the earlier one by some margin. In fact it's a classic. I'm getting shades of "Midnight Johnny". Love it.

This is what Ian Levine says about it
    "This song is by The Valadiers and was co-written with me and lead singer of The Satintones, Vernon Williams, who has now sadly passed away to that Soul Heaven in the sky. It is a fun stomping piece of Motownesque exuberance. We remixed and revisited it for our 2006 album "Solid Ground". I must particularly thank "Hitsville Chalky", real name Roy Gennard, who went to Detroit and specially filmed this performance. Let's just say they've still got it!! The Valadiers were Motown's first official white group, but fooled everybody because lead singer Stewart Avig's voice sounded so black. Despite recording a multitude of songs between 1960 and 1963, they only had three singles released, their huge hit "Greetings This Is Uncle Sam", released in October 1961 on the Miracle label, and their two follow ups, "Because I Love Her", in May 1962, and "I Found A Girl" in January 1963, both on the Gordy Label. The last of these was released in England on the Oriole label's Motown series. The group never actually split up, but changed their name to The Latin Counts and became a more multi-racial group, as Stewart changed members of his group over the years. The Latin Counts have had many local Detroit releases on independent labels through the last forty years. When we arrived in Detroit, in March 1989, original lead singer, Stewart Avig, came to see me at the St. Regis Hotel and asked me to record them, if they changed their name back to The Valadiers. In recent years, they have merged with another mid Sixties Detroit group, The Shades Of Blue, who made the hit "Oh How Happy", which was originally written for them by Edwin Starr. The Valadiers were booked to come over to England for a Soul Weekender in Northampton and I was bitterly saddened and disappointed that their appearance got cancelled, that was truly unfair."

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.1 KB
    Very nice Motown style! I take it that was Stuart on lead. The choreography was nice, too. It looks like they could have stayed with Motown past 1963, and moved into the new Soul style, like Stewart did with Ed Wingate and JoAnne Bratton on his Stewart Ames release.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-26-2023 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks for your comments Robb. It's Stuart Avig on lead as you say. The whole sound on this track is very effective and pleasing. Conjures up all sorts of thoughts of bygone music - and how great to be able to see those fellas doing their thing.

http://www.theshadesofblueonline.com...tuart-avig.php

Another example of a Motown singer, albeit a less well-known one, whose voice if anything sounds even better than it did when he recorded in the early 60s. Really great clip, and a good song too. Very enjoyable. Thanks for posting.