[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mary and Harry

Mary and Harry

Mary Wilson and Prince Harry made second careers out of raging against the machine. Books and interviews galore bashing the machine that made them somebody in the first place. Neither could tolerate playing second fiddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Mary Wilson and Prince Harry made second careers out of raging against the machine. Books and interviews galore bashing the machine that made them somebody in the first place. Neither could tolerate playing second fiddle.
    Harry is completely nuts. Mary didn’t have that kind of audience and she did rein herself in at times. For Mary, it was survival and she saw many of her colleagues die penniless; for Harry, he’s a completely lost soul.

Is this a comment or a question or?

The machine in case anyone forgot was built off the back of Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. And if we're gonna be 100%, that machine laid on her back to get that wheel greased.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

The machine in case anyone forgot was built off the back of Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. And if we're gonna be 100%, that machine laid on her back to get that wheel greased.
    Without that grease you never would’ve heard of Florence or Mary. Now you are raging against the very machine that brought us here. I love comments like yours. It reminds me very much of the Maga supporters who base their entire loyalty on a soundbite that may or may not be true and that even if true, is not thought one layer below the surface. Mike could be said about the backs of Florence, and, especially Mary, to what point I don’t know.

That was a low blow Mary, don't stoop to that level. We know there would be no Supremes or Diana Ross without Florence and Mary, and vice versa. No need to kick one or two to lift up the others. Let the rest of them keep doing that crap, which apparently for some never gets old. Dang, I thought we were through with these "my favorite Supremes is better than yours". I guess it'll carry on until the last fan is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That was a low blow Mary, don't stoop to that level. We know there would be no Supremes or Diana Ross without Florence and Mary, and vice versa. No need to kick one or two to lift up the others. Let the rest of them keep doing that crap, which apparently for some never gets old. Dang, I thought we were through with these "my favorite Supremes is better than yours". I guess it'll carry on until the last fan is dead.
    I wasn't going to comment on this, but thank you, RanRan.

You all read the first post, didn't you?

I don't claim solidarity to any particular Supreme. I put none of them on a pedestal. All give me joy. Even Lynda, lol.

But Jesus, Mary is gone, so why the need to beat the dead horse.

My apologies if my claws came out. But I stick by my response.

You all read the first post, didn't you?

I don't claim solidarity to any particular Supreme. I put none of them on a pedestal. All give me joy. Even Lynda, lol.

But Jesus, Mary is gone, so why the need to beat the dead horse.

My apologies if my claws came out. But I stick by my response.
    What you said was nasty, but I understand why you said it, even if it was beneath you to do it. Diana Ross is where she is because she had talent, drive, and yes, she had the support of the head honcho...long before she gave him a piece. So the blow about her being on her back was low. But I knew exactly why you went there. For some reason, even though Mary Wilson is dead, even though she very likely never did a single thing to anyone who posts in this group, there is a great salivating at the opportunity to take a shot at her. Mary Wilson's gripes with Diana Ross and anyone else at Motown are apparently less legitimate than some posters gripes with Mary about her gripes. It's all one big, sick circle that I was hoping was diminishing with time, but apparently not.

I did read the first message, which was my mistake. I am overly aware that Circa has a disdain for Mary Wilson, and even Flo Ballard, and that for the poster, the Supremes are Diana Ross, which is a fan's right to feel. My common sense should have told me that this thread would be no different but my dumb butt thought this had something to do with Mary and Harry Weinger. Maybe there was some expanded edition info or something. That was my mistake.

But I definitely get how annoyed you had to be. Since Mary's passing, to me, it seems like there are a couple posters who have actually stepped up their game when it comes to throwing shots her way. I don't subscribe to the thought that because someone is dead that it makes them free from criticism. I try to continue to see Mary how I have always seen her: human, flawed, and all the good stuff in between. But there is no denying that there are posters who dance on her grave, two in this thread alone.

Just to be clear, while I was criticizing what you wrote, I was hoping to also make it clear that you're better than the level you stooped to. [[We've all been there, btw.) I'm familiar enough with your posts to know that you seem to love all the Supremes and can discuss them with an unbiased agenda.

What you said was nasty, but I understand why you said it, even if it was beneath you to do it. Diana Ross is where she is because she had talent, drive, and yes, she had the support of the head honcho...long before she gave him a piece. So the blow about her being on her back was low. But I knew exactly why you went there. For some reason, even though Mary Wilson is dead, even though she very likely never did a single thing to anyone who posts in this group, there is a great salivating at the opportunity to take a shot at her. Mary Wilson's gripes with Diana Ross and anyone else at Motown are apparently less legitimate than some posters gripes with Mary about her gripes. It's all one big, sick circle that I was hoping was diminishing with time, but apparently not.

I did read the first message, which was my mistake. I am overly aware that Circa has a disdain for Mary Wilson, and even Flo Ballard, and that for the poster, the Supremes are Diana Ross, which is a fan's right to feel. My common sense should have told me that this thread would be no different but my dumb butt thought this had something to do with Mary and Harry Weinger. Maybe there was some expanded edition info or something. That was my mistake.

But I definitely get how annoyed you had to be. Since Mary's passing, to me, it seems like there are a couple posters who have actually stepped up their game when it comes to throwing shots her way. I don't subscribe to the thought that because someone is dead that it makes them free from criticism. I try to continue to see Mary how I have always seen her: human, flawed, and all the good stuff in between. But there is no denying that there are posters who dance on her grave, two in this thread alone.

Just to be clear, while I was criticizing what you wrote, I was hoping to also make it clear that you're better than the level you stooped to. [[We've all been there, btw.) I'm familiar enough with your posts to know that you seem to love all the Supremes and can discuss them with an unbiased agenda.
    Thank you Ran. I think we've both been around these parts long enough to have a general idea where we come from.

As someone mentioned above [[maybe you?) there'd be no Mary without Diana. And no Diana without Mary. Can we ever just leave it at that? We should be rejoycing that the Supremes are finally getting their nod from the Grammy's. Instead it's raging against the machine and second fiddles.

Thank you Ran. I think we've both been around these parts long enough to have a general idea where we come from.

As someone mentioned above [[maybe you?) there'd be no Mary without Diana. And no Diana without Mary. Can we ever just leave it at that? We should be rejoycing that the Supremes are finally getting their nod from the Grammy's. Instead it's raging against the machine and second fiddles.
    You remove any one member of the original trio and the whole thing falls apart. I've always believed that and no one will ever get me to change my mind. Those three women needed each other, and if Diana didn't need them, all of the people who believed in her talent who were in position to do something about it, from Milton Jenkins to Richard Morris to Berry Gordy, would have snatched Diana up and told Flo and Mary to take a hike. It never happened because Diana needed them, and they needed her, and most of us fans should relish in that fact because what we got out of it was some of the best music and singing ever done.

I think the rage against Mary around here is just weird.

I understand the comparison [[and had a quick thought of it myself before this thread was started ...) but ultimately I have to acknowledge that Mary accomplished something in her life while Harry has not. I have no patience whatsoever for anyone who makes bank on scandalizing their family the way the prick xxx I mean 'prince' has.

Both suffer misguided decisions based on spousal influence.

You remove any one member of the original trio and the whole thing falls apart. I've always believed that and no one will ever get me to change my mind. Those three women needed each other, and if Diana didn't need them, all of the people who believed in her talent who were in position to do something about it, from Milton Jenkins to Richard Morris to Berry Gordy, would have snatched Diana up and told Flo and Mary to take a hike. It never happened because Diana needed them, and they needed her, and most of us fans should relish in that fact because what we got out of it was some of the best music and singing ever done.

I don't understand the negativity against Mary or any Supreme. Yes, the magic of the original trio was amazing. Once Florence was gone, Diana could have been a solo immediately but she still did need Mary as she started to launch her solo act within the Supremes framework. Fortunately, Cindy was an excellent replacement even though she did not contribute the same voice and energy to the group she did provide an excellent visual and vocal compliment to both Diana and Mary. Mary later acknowledged Diana as a very talented woman and that the three of them created a roundness with their different voices and personalities to create an amazing singular entity. I don't think many have acknowledged Mary's perception of that. As I said, Jean was an amazing vocalist but she didn't have the charisma and chemistry needed for the group. Scherrie was also an amazing vocalist with the timbre of Mary , the power of Florence and adaptability in her dance moves and presentation, still there wasn't the same roundness even when Susaye joined-it became more of 3 individuals as a group that didn't compliment each other as a single entity no matter how exciting they were or how great their vocals were.

Not so much a rage, as an inability to accept Diana Ross might be less then perfect. Everything that might have gone wrong being nothing to do with M’s Ross. Step forward one Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Not so much a rage, as an inability to accept Diana Ross might be less then perfect. Everything that might have gone wrong being nothing to do with M’s Ross. Step forward one Mary Wilson.
    "Rage" in the context of it's usage in this thread. If Mary "raged" against the machine, then surely various posters rage against Mary's rage. To your point about what went wrong, yes, it was all Mary, none of Diana. The thread about Motown 25 is a perfect example. Mary's red dress, off script speech and singing lead when the lead singer forgets the words is a SAGAFTRA ban worthy transgressions. Diana's physicality, just a diva being a diva. It's disgusting, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I wonder what those Diana Ross fans still mad at Mary would react if Rolling Stone had excluded Diana from their top 200? They're already miffed Diana was ranked at 87. Would they have followed the example of Celine Dion fanatics and gone out and protested on the streets?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I wonder what those Diana Ross fans still mad at Mary would react if Rolling Stone had excluded Diana from their top 200? They're already miffed Diana was ranked at 87. Would they have followed the example of Celine Dion fanatics and gone out and protested on the streets?
    I’m sure Mary would have been held to blame somewhere along the line lol.

Shoot, y'all think that's something. What if Mary had actually made the list? There'd be blood splatter on a few keyboards, I'm sure. Am I the only one old enough to remember when DeeDee Bridgewater said Mary Wilson was one of her inspirations and folks in here lost their minds, insisting she meant Wells and not Wilson?

Shoot, y'all think that's something. What if Mary had actually made the list? There'd be blood splatter on a few keyboards, I'm sure. Am I the only one old enough to remember when DeeDee Bridgewater said Mary Wilson was one of her inspirations and folks in here lost their minds, insisting she meant Wells and not Wilson?
    To quote the title of a song from the movie An American In Paris, “Ah Yes I Remember It Well”.

Almost forgot about that. I did find the thread for those who need a refresher:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ht=Bridgewater

“It is sharper than a serpent’s tooth to have a thankless child.”
    William Shakespeare

"That's a distorted reality" - HDH

I can relate to Harry because I too have greatly suffered not being next in line to be the King of England.

The only thing they have in common is that one was a Princess, one was a Prince and they both married manipulative people.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    The only thing they have in common is that one was a Princess, one was a Prince and they both married manipulative people.
    And both Mary and Harry were more than a little bit nuts.

This thread really is unnecessary. There is no correlation between these two people. I don't necessarily agree with Harry, but we have not lived his life. I think the death of his Mother has scarred him deeply. Being only considered a "spare" probably has not helped him cope well. I think his family has put duty over personal feelings. He has nothing in common with Mary Wilson. She is not a "spare" Supreme. Sometimes I read these things and wonder where the minds of some fans are.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Sometimes I read these things and wonder where the minds of some fans are.
    Really? Sometimes? You wonder?

A post like this wouldn't be good enough to wipe the ass of Mary Wilson when she was alive. Mary was much loved. Some folks are jealous of that. So I don't wonder where the mind is. Seems pretty apparent to me.

Really? Sometimes? You wonder?

A post like this wouldn't be good enough to wipe the ass of Mary Wilson when she was alive. Mary was much loved. Some folks are jealous of that. So I don't wonder where the mind is. Seems pretty apparent to me.
    I guess in my mind and perspective, I do think why can't people see what I see. I love and respect all of the talents of all of the members of the Supremes. Yet, I know and see that there are people who have one track minds and it is just something I honestly don't understand because my mind doesn't work that way. Yes, I have seen this on this board, on Facebook, on Instagram and all of the way back to Yahoo groups and the AOL boards. Yes, Mary was very much loved. Yes, some folks are jealous of that. I don't think like that at all. I am so beyond thrilled that she will be recognized with a Lifetime Grammy and it is so sad she is not with us to share her joy in this recognition. On the other hand, I hope Diana Ross wins her Grammy. I guess my mindset is so different that I just don't think like so many other people. I always figure if you have to be bitter and put someone down to elevate that it says more about you than it does about them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I always figure if you have to be bitter and put someone down to elevate that it says more about you than it does about them.
    Well said, Jim.

There's no other "background" singer that was beloved as Mary Wilson. That's an absolute fact. She may have sang oohs and aahs, but her legacy will live on longer than the last one left posting on SDF.

There's no other "background" singer that was beloved as Mary Wilson. That's an absolute fact. She may have sang oohs and aahs, but her legacy will live on longer than the last one left posting on SDF.
    Absofreakinglutely!