[REMOVE ADS]

Billboard's Hot 100/ Top 40 Motown Chronicles - 1973 - [Pt. 1]

Billboard's Hot 100/ Top 40 Motown Chronicles - 1973

Because of the amount of content, the year 1973 is being divided into three threads.
    This is Part I:
    January - April

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #01

Jan 6 , 1973

previously on Motown and Billboard's
    Hot 100/ Top 40:

Number of singles reviewed this week: 49
    last week: 60

including:
    TRAMMPS - PRAY ALL YOU SINNERS [3:15]
    producers: Baker-Harris-Young; A new Philadelphia discovery checks in with a "Smiling Faces" type of message song well-packaged in Stylistics mode. The result is catchy and distinctive. Promising group writes and produces own material. Song has pop potential. BUDDAH 339

The Motown machine was well-geared in 1972 particularly when it came to the continued successes of the Jackson Five faction of the company. Other names, including some of the biggest, were fractured or for various reasons less productive. 1973 begins the year with the charts showing a brighter promise for other acts of the label besides the J5. This week, Stevie Wonder charges into the Top 10 to #4 from #16, a 12 point bolt that makes it the biggest moving record within the Top 40. SUPERSTITION already makes it to the #1 spot on the Soul chart this week. Marvin Gaye also gains this round advancing seven points to #27 with TROUBLE MAN, Gaye's first venture into film scoring. The Jackson Five are still in the picture, as are The Temptations, while their current records have peaked, both remain on the Top 40 for a total of four Motown charters. Four other singles on the Hot 100 give the label a solid representation of 8 positions, including this week's strangest Hot 100 debut by Bobby Darin at #92 [ A focus on that release to come] titled 'HAPPY'.......[New Year!]

The Top 10:

The new year begins with a new #1. It took Carly Simon just six weeks on the Hot 100 to reach the pinnacle with her self-written tune YOU'RE SO VAIN. Carly bumps out Billy Paul, ending his 3 week reign at the top with ME AND MRS. JONES, now slipping to #3. Between the two is Gilbert O'Sullivan's CLAIR, his second week there with the hopes of scoring his second #1 in a row. One new record makes the Top 10 amongst a tight race, bolting in at #4 is Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION, with Helen Reddy's I AM WOMAN making room by dropping from #7 to #14.

The Top 40:

Motown:

Four records from Motown are on the Top 40:
    ^
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder - surging chart performance, #4 from #16
    ^ TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye #26 bulleting up from last week's debut of #33
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    - Temptations - avalanches to #27 from #14
    CORNER OF THE SKY - The Jackson Five maintain a presence at #39 from #25

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 12 spots
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder #4 from #16

Five newbies, all US acts, 1 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown
    Highest debut:

LOVE JONES - Brighter Side Of Darkness #32 up 12 from #46 [One Hit Wonder]
    DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT - King Harvest #34 up 9 from #43 [One Hit Wonder]
    +ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH+ - John Denver #35 up 6 from #41 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    JAMBALAYA [ON THE BAYOU] - Blue Ridge Rangers #37 up 11 from #49 [First time artist]
    REELIN' AND A ROCKIN' -Chuck Berry #40 up 15 from #55 [ 14th and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eight
    new arrivals, 3 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 1 by proxy.

Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #75 - LIVING TOGETHER, LOVING TOGETHER - 5th Dimension

#83 - DANNY'S SONG - Anne Murray
    #92 - HAPPY - Bobby Darin
    #93 -DON'T LEAVE ME STARVIN' FOR YOUR LOVE - Holland Dozier former Motown producer/songwriters
    #97 - SHES GOT TO BE A SAINT - Ray Price
    #98 - SOUL SONG - Joe Stampley
    #99 - ON AND OFF - Anacostia
    #100 - SLOW MOTION PT 1 - Johnny Williams

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: HAPPY - Bobby Darin #92 DEBUT

3rd week: ^I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson & Miracles #53 up 9 from #62
    4th week:^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson #41 up 13 from #54
    5th week: ^SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson #81 up 3 from #84
    off: none

A very good week for:
    The Jones'

ME AND MRS. JONES is still in the Top 10 after being the last #1 of '72 , and the biggest debut on the Top 40 is LOVE JONES at #37. The Brighter Side Of Darkness are 3 high school chums from Chicago with an added 12 year-old, Darryl Lamont, to supply the Michael Jackson-like ending to this schoolyard tale:

The group has caused problems during a trip to LA for a SOUL TRAIN appearance and they won't regain their footing, recording only one album with their displeased 20th Century label.

Billy Paul's [born Paul Williams] overnight success was twenty years in the making, Paul's first records were released in 1952 on Jubilee. Paul, a Philadelphia native, is right at home in the hands of Gamble and Huff and their various labels since 1968. Paul tailored MRS JONES into a jazzy sound that suited him.

'Jones' addictive theme has brought both acts their biggest successes but also leaves each as largely one hit wonders. Paul will scratch the Top 40 one more time in a couple of years with THANKS FOR SAVING MY LIFE.

Paul, a long time friend of Marvin Gaye, cites various female singers and Billie Holiday specifically as his biggest stylizing influence so he likely is pleased by Motown's current ambitious film and album project dedicated to Holiday.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-08-2023 at 01:58 AM.

I'm really looking forward to 73. I really wish Motown/Universal had continued TCMS collection past 72.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #02

Jan 13 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 55
    last week: 49

including:
    Gladys Knight & The Pips - NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] [4:15] producer: Joe Porter; writer: J. Weatherly Ms. Knight is right back in the middle of the hitmaker groove with a hard-driving yet powerfully worded record that simply does everything right. Surefire pop crossover potential for a penultimate end-of love song. SOUL 35098 Motown

O'Jays - LOVE TRAIN [2:59] producers: Gamble-Huff; writers: Gamble-Huff The O'Jays take off with a more philosophically upbeat variant on their"Backstabbers" sound. Impeccably tight Gamble-Huff production in a message lyric that manages to sound soulful instead of sappy and has good pop potential PHILADELPHIA INTL. 3524

1973 is looking good. Stevie Wonder is just shy of the #1 position at #2 with SUPERSTITION, while three other Motown singles are also on the Top 40 including the first-time visit there by Jermaine Jackson. Diana Ross as Billie Holiday finally shows ups on the Hot 100 and will provide some needed exposure for the soundtrack released last October and slowing down at #17 in this 8th week [from #18]. No singles fall off, and with GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE coming on, that gives the label nine singles charting.

The Top 10:

Carly Simon remains firmly in place at #1 with YOU'RE SO VAIN for week two. The Top Ten is a tight one with records just nudging up or down a bit. Two new records enter, both at the very bottom: at #9 up from #13 is Elton John's CROCODILE ROCK and The Four Tops' KEEPER OF THE CASTLE eases in to #10 from #11 incredibly in this, its 20th week on the Hot 100. Two drop out: IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA by Albert Hammond drops to #12 from #6, and Al Green's YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME dips to #22 from #10 after peaking at #3. It is Al's 4th Top 5 hit in a row on Hi Records. It has a fuller sound with ambitious strings along with the trademark organ, horn, and guitar combo and the familiar heavy drum sound now being utilized by Thom Bell with The Spinners and in the developing Philly sound with acts like The O'Jays, while also becoming more common on hits like WHY CANT WE LIVE TOGETHER by Timmy Thomas [#13]. The thump thump thump thumping has begun.

Al Green's popularity is mostly an American phenomenon and he will have eleven of his tunes reach the Top #3 of the Soul chart. YOU OUGHT TO BE WITH ME has charted in three countries, the US [#3 Pop, and #1 Soul], the UK [#53], and Canada, where its peak at #12 makes it Green's best performing single on the charts there.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder - big jump to #2 from #4
    ^ TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye#17 from #26 making it one of the Top 40s biggest movers
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    - Temptations - continues to tumble to #38 from #27
    ^ DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson its' sixth week on the Hot 100, debuts Top 40 at #35.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 10 spots
    OH BABE WHAT WOULD YOU SAY Hurricane Smith #15 from#25

Just 4 arrivals: 3 US, 1 UK, 2
    +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown
    Highest Debut:
    +DON'T EXPECT ME TO BE YOUR FRIEND+
    - Lobo #33 up 19 from #54 [3rd Top 40 hit]

+DADDY'S HOME+ - Jermaine Jackson 35 up 6 from # 41 [1st and only Top 40 hit of the 70's]
    THE RELAY - Who #39 up 4 from #43 [12th Top 40 hit]
    HARRY HIPPIE - Bobby Womack & Peace #40 up 2 from #42[2nd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Seven
    new charters, 2 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy.
    Highest debut:
    third tier
    #80 - DUELING BANJOS - Deliverance / Soundtrack

#86 - CONTROL OF ME - Les Emmerson
    #95 - GIVE ME YOUR LOVE - Barbara Mason
    #97 - WE - Shawn Philips
    #98 - GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross
    #99 - TWIDDLE DEE - Little Jimmy Osmond
    #100 - I MISS YOU BABY - Millie Jackson

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #98 DEBUT

2nd week: ^ HAPPY - Bobby Darin #88 up 4 from #92
    4th week: ^ I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #51 up 2 from #53
    6th week: ^ SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson #75 up 6 from #81
    10th week: CORNER OF THE SKY - Jackson Five #57 down 18 from #39

A very good week for:
    Movie music:
    Two singles enter as such: DUELING BANJOS by Deliverance and from LADY SINGS THE BLUES comes Diana Ross with GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE. Meanwhile Curtis Mayfield's SUPERFLY is up 1 to #8, Marvin Gaye's TROUBLE MAN is #17 and Helen Reddy's I AM WOMAN is #33 [from STAND UP AND BE COUNTED.]

From Julian Coleman's Soul Sauce column:

Former Motown producer Johnny Bristol joined Columbia Records recently as a staff producer. While with Motwn, Bristol produced such acts as Gladys Knight and The Pips and Jr. Walker and the All Stars and many hits for the Jackson Five
    RIP Jeff Beck [Geoffrey Arnold Beck] June 24 1944 – January 10, 2023-

Regarded as one of rock's most innovative [exploring distortion and wah wah] and dedicated electric guitar players, Jeff performed and wrote for all of his life winning 16 Grammys, most later in his career.
    Beck was invited to play on Stevie Wonder's TALKING BOOK LP and in the studio they collaborated on Stevie's SUPERSTITION. Stevie offered the song to Jeff, but by the time Beck's delayed LP was released, Stevie's version had already run the charts. Beck's version is included on the BECK, BOGERT AND APPICE LP to be released in March of 1973, but without a coinciding single of SUPERSTITION, except for whatever reason, in Japan.

The two will be lifelong friends.

Motown is advertising:

Front page square ad for Marvin Gaye's TROUBLE MAN film score. Ribbon ad across bottom of front page for PIPPIN, the musical.
    Full page ad this week for Diana Ross' GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE single/ LADY SINGS THE BLUES ST.
    Full page ad this week picturing a smiling Jermaine Jackson and the headline
    DADDY'S HOME
    and the line
    Listen to Jermaine Jackson's fresh youthful interpretation of a classic
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-17-2023 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I'm really looking forward to 73. I really wish Motown/Universal had continued TCMS collection past 72.
    I do too but I think copyright issues are a problem after 1972. Artists like Stevie and Marvin owned their own music. In Marvin's case you have to deal with his estate. Always a headache. As more self-contained artists like the Commodores and Rick James came on board you have additional clearance issues. I would imagine this all played into it.

Also, for all intent and purposes, Motown died in 1972. The move to LA turned them into being just another record company. Generic musicians, generic background singers, everything just generic.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I do too but I think copyright issues are a problem after 1972. Artists like Stevie and Marvin owned their own music. In Marvin's case you have to deal with his estate. Always a headache. As more self-contained artists like the Commodores and Rick James came on board you have additional clearance issues. I would imagine this all played into it.

Also, for all intent and purposes, Motown died in 1972. The move to LA turned them into being just another record company. Generic musicians, generic background singers, everything just generic.
    As far as copyright issues, doesn't Universal still reissue music from this era without any copyright issues? How would TCMS series be any different than all the other reissues?

As far as Motown post 72/73 there was still a lot of really good music being put out by Motown that goes beyond the greatest hits. The 70's didn't reach the height of the 1960, but the great music is still there.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #03

Jan 20 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 105 [!]
    last week: 55

including:
    EDDIE KENDRICKS - GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND [Part 1) [2:30)
    producers: Frank Wilson, Leonard Callon; writers:L.Croton,A.Pone; Wryly riveting anti-women's lib track presented in smooth soul MOR production. Strong instrumental fills.
    Flip: GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND [Part2) [2:43)
    TAMLA 54230

Also
    Recommended:

G.C.CAMERON - Don't Wanna Play Pajama Games [3:00]: producer:
    Smokey Robinson; writer: W. Robinson, P. Moffett;

One less record on the Hot 100 and another leaving the Top 40, with no debuts in either, puts a slight dent in Motown's chart power. But with three strong records in the Top 40 and eight records throughout the Hot 100, including a 27 point jumper with Diana Ross' GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE, this is a good week for Motown.

The Top Ten:

Repeating at #2 hopefully isn't bad luck for Stevie Wonder as SUPERSTITION eyes the #1 spot again while Carly Simon holds fast there with YOU'RE SO VAIN for week #3 while also reaching #1 on the Easy Listening chart. CROCODILE ROCK is the Top Ten's biggest mover from #9 to #4 becoming Elton John's biggest single yet.
    For the second week two new songs gain entry via the bottom two rungs: At #9 is Timmy Thomas' WHY CANT WE LIVE TOGETHER, and at #10 Hurricane Smith's OH BABE WHAT WOULD YOU SAY, both artists with first time hits. They replace Donna Fargo's FUNNY FACE, it dips to #11 from #5 and The Four Tops KEEPER OF THE CASTLE, dropping from #10 to #16.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Three records from Motown are on the Top 40:
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder doesn't budge from its #2 spot
    ^TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye is up four to #13 from #17
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 7th week on the Hot 100, to #28 a seven notch jump from #35.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 8 points
    DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT - King Harvest #22 from #30

Just four new ones again, all US acts, 1+Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    +COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE+ - Spinners #31 up 10 from #41 [5th Top 40 hit]

DREIDEL - Don McLean #34 up 9 from #43 [4th Top 40 hit]
    DO YOU WANT TO DANCE - Bette Midler #36 up 8 from #44 [*first time artist]
    I'LL BE YOUR SHELTER [IN THE TIME OF STORM] - Luther Ingram #40 up 2 from #42 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Nine 45's score, 4 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy.

Highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #61 - LOVE TRAIN - O'Jays

3rd tier:
    #76 - HUMMINGBIRD - Seals & Crofts
    #79 - I GOT ANTS IN MY PANTS - James Brown
    #85 - THE MESSAGE - Cymande
    #91 - HOW CAN I TELL HER - Travis Wammack
    #93 - HOT WIRE - Al Green
    #97 - BLIND EYE /SWEET LORRAINE - Uriah Heep
    #98 - IF ITS ALRIGHT WITH YOU - Dottie West
    #99 - LITTLE WILLIE - The Sweet

Motown:
    no debuts:
    2nd week: ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #71 up 27 to #98

3rd week: ^HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES]*- Bobby Darin #83 up 5 from #88 *full title added in Billboard this week
    5th week: ^I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #48 up 3 from #51
    7th week: ^SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson #74 up 1 from #75
    11th week: CORNER OF THE SKY -Jackson Five - OFF from #57
    15th week: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations - #45 down 7 from #38

off:
    Jackson Five -of their last six singles this is their fifth to not dominate the Top 10 [SUGAR DADDY had a sweet taste of it by peaking for one week at #10] after becoming accustomed to hitting #1 or #2. Their Pippin musical tune did make it into the Top 10 in England [#9] their biggest single there after several misfires. In the US, the peak is #18 Pop, #9 Soul. CORNER OF THE SKY is album-less at this point, the group's next LP not completed until spring.

Under the influence of his keyboardist/bandleader Dave Matthews, James Brown expands his style with this current release shared with Lyn Collins. A more lyrically oriented and melodic love song, it has a fuller sound including bongos and organ:

Peaking this week on the Hot 100 at #65 and #17 R&B, this is Brown's first time to not reach the Soul Top 10 since signing with Polydor records, his worst performance of those 11 singles. But Brown has already corrected his helm with his new release I GOT ANTS IN MY PANTS that debuts this week at #79 with a more familiar funk sound. Both these titles are non-album releases.

Dave Mathews will continue with James Brown and arrange for many artists especially those on the Motown distributed Kudu Records, like George Benson, Esther Phillips and saxophonist Hank Crawford including his 16th LP I HEAR A SYMPHONY that features this chugging Gloria Gaynor influenced version of The Supremes hit.

includes Patti Austin on vocals.

A very good week for:
    going retro
    Two songs in the Top Ten, although newly written, have throw-back vibes to the earlier days of the Hot 100:
    Elton John's CROCODILE ROCK [#4] and Johnny River's ROCKIN' PNEUMONIA... [#6]

Correction: Last week Billboard erroneously reported the chart length time for KEEPER OF THE CASTLE at 20 weeks. The Four Tops are actually struggling far less at their new residency: KEEPER OF THE CASTLE reached the Top Ten in just ten weeks.

Noteworthy: Full page ad this week to introduce Bruce Springsteen. The ad in big letters says,
    "The Most Important New Voice Of Ashbury Park, New Jersey.
    And Perhaps The '70's As Well".
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-27-2023 at 02:37 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #04

Jan 27 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 134 [!]
    last week: 105

including:

JR WALKER & THE ALL-STARS -GIMMIE THAT BEAT [PART I] [3;15] Producer Jr.Walker, writers:A. DeWalt, R. Harville, A Langley. A funky , strictly-for-dancing shouter with infectious drive. Powerful new entry from long time titans. Flip: PART II [2:48] Soul 35104

FOUR TOPS - AIN'T NO WOMAN [LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT][2:59] producers: Stevr Barr, Bennie Lambert, Brian Potter, writers: B. Lambert, B. Potter, Troutdale, Soldier. Levi Stubb's lead vocal carries the quartet through a moving arrangement which has pop as well as soul overtones. Nice mellow strings give the tune a soft lilt as the tale of fond affection unravels. Dunhill 4-339

Its a very good week when you're at the top, as it is for Motown as Stevie Wonder forges his way there with SUPERSTITION. Not far behind is a second Top 10er for the label as Marvin Gaye gets there with TROUBLE MAN, while also marching upward is Jermaine's DADDY'S HOME. No new records break into the Top 40, but two new ones are added to the Hot 100 and with none dropping off, its an especially winning week for Motown with 10% of the Hot 100 being theirs.

The Top 10:

As Motown's last #1 is about to drop off the charts, Stevie Wonder steps up from #2 and commands the top with SUPERSTITION. PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE was Motown's last #1 for 1972 and Stevie has the first for 1973 and his first #1 since 1963's FINGERTIPS ten years ago. YOU'RE SO VAIN goes to #2 and Elton's CROCODILE ROCK is up one place to #3. Two new arrivals, one from Motown: Marvin Gaye's TROUBLE MAN has no problem hitting #8 from #13, and jumping from #15 to #10, War's THE WORLD IS A GHETTO their first Top 10 since Eric Burden's departure..
    The two that have peaked: Curtis Mayfield's SUPERFLY slips from #8 to #12 and Gilbert O'Sullivan's CLAIR falls to #7 from #14.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^SUPERSTITION
    - Stevie Wonder - is #1
    ^TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye is into the Top 10 at #8
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 8th week on the Hot 100, to #25 with a bullet from#28.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 8 spots
    COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE - Spinners #23 from #31

Just three new ones , 2 US & 1 Canadian, 2+Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:

+LAST SONG+ - Edward Bear #34 up 7 from #43 [*first time artist]
    +LOVE TRAIN+ - O'Jays #37 up 26 from #61 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    LOOKING THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE - Partridge Family #39 up 3 from #42 [7th and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Big turnover, thirteen 45's score, 5 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 0 by proxy
    highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #54 - KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG - Roberta Flack

3rd tier:
    #71 - SPACE ODDITY - David Bowie
    #76 - DON'T CROSS THE RIVER - America
    #79 - ROSALIE - Sam Neely
    #83 - TODAY I STARTED LOVING YOU AGAIN - Bettye Swan
    #86 - NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] -Gladys Knight & The Pips
    #88 - DEAD SKUNK - Loudon Wainright III
    #91 - LOVE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT - Grass Roots
    #94 - DON'T BURN ME - Paul Kelly
    #96 - ONE OF THE BOYS - Mott The Hoople
    #98 - SOMEBODY LOVES YOU - Whispers
    #99 - WE'RE GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME - Rare Earth
    #100 - COME SOFTLY TO ME - New Seekers

Motown:
    2 debuts:
    1st week: NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips #86 DEBUT
    1st week: WE'RE GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME - Rare Earth #99 DEBUT

3rd week: ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #61 up 10 from #71
    4th week: ^ HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin #80 up 3 from #83
    7th week: ^ I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #45 up 3 from #48
    8th week: ^ SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson #68 up 6 from #74

16th week: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations - #62 down 17 from #45
    no offs

a very good week for:
    Rolling Stones
    not the group, who are months away from a new 45 release, but the magazine that Dr. Hook wants to be on the cover of, and The Temptations former #1 song about Papa, which this week stays in the Hot 100 for a second week after leaving the Top 40, which is highly uncommon. THE COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE is just outside the Top 40 this round, and by holding on another week, PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE charts for 16 weeks making it a member of the 4 month club.

Two months in and 26 year-old Valerie Simpson is struggling [still third tier] with SILLY WASN'T I the only single released from her second solo LP and the last from her on the Motown label:

Busy issue for Billboard, many ads

full page ad for:
    Gladys Knight photo with lead line: A WARM WINTER KNIGHT for the new single.

full page ad for : Bobby Darin promoting his single HAPPY on Motown and his new TV show Friday nights on NBC where he performed the single on the debut January 19th.

1/3 page ad from RCA in the section focusing on this year's 7th MIDEM international music trade fair in Cannes for the group Barrabas out of Spain. "The Most Exciting New Group Of The Year." Their sound is often cited as one of the early European disco influences. The ad mentions their songs WOMAN and WILD SAFARI :

Listed as MIDEM Artists this year are:
    Staple Singers, Isaac Hayes, Roberta Flack , Bill Withers, Tony Christie, Vickie Leandros, Peter Skellon [as performers?]

Two full page ad announcing Robert Stigwood's new RSO Records with their first releases by The Bee Gees and a Derek & The Dominoes Live LP.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-31-2023 at 11:40 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #05

Feb 3 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 135 [!]
    last week: 134

including:

THE COMMODORES - DON'T YOU BE WORRIED [2:49] producer; Tom Baird, writers W. Orange, K. Dunham - Strong combination of voices working with a solid, keep moving rhythm which rides over horns and voices. There's a free abandon in this story about optimism. Mowest 5038

With two songs in the Top 10 and nine on the Hot 100, Motown has a strong chart presence this round. Unfortunately just three are bulleting upward, most are lingering at best. One biggie drops off after a long run, The Temptations PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE, and with no new arrivals, and losing the #1 spot after a short run, Motown can still claim a decent week.

The Top 10:

Stevie Wonder's fresh sound took SUPERSTITION to #1, but after one week, Elton John's retro flavored CROCODILE ROCK replaces it. Carly Simon holds firm at #2 , as Stevie is now just below it at #3. Little movement elsewhere, Timmy Thomas one place closer to the top at #4 with WHY CANT WE LIVE TOGETHER. Two new ones on the bottom rungs again, HI HI HI by Wings, squeaking in at #10 from #11 and DO IT AGAIN by Steely Dan to #9 from #13 , both first timers to reach this height.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    SUPERSTITION
    - Stevie Wonder - is #3
    ^TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye inches up a notch to #7
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 9th week on the Hot 100, to #21 with a bullet from#25.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 8 spots
    COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE - Spinners #23 from #31

Debuts:
    Five new ones, two rocketing, all 5 US, 3+Top 10 bound+,
    Highest Debut:
    +DUELING BANJOS+ - Deliverance #16 up 25 from #41 [One Hit Wonder]

+KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG+ - Roberta Flack #34 up 20 from #54 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    +THE COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE+ - Dr Hook /Medicine Show #36 up 12 from #48 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    PEACEFUL EASY FEELING -Eagles #38 up 6 from #44 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    I'M NEVER GONNA BE ALONE ANYMORE - Cornelius Bros. /Sister Rose #40 up 2 from #42 [4th and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100
    :

Big turnover, fifteen 45's board , 8 Top 40 bound, 1 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 1 by proxy
    highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #58 - I'M JUST A SINGER IN A ROCK AND ROLL BAND - Moody Blues

3rd tier:
    #72 - HELLO HURRAY -Alice Cooper
    #74 - ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 2001 -Deodato
    #75 - PALACE GUARD - Rick Nelson /Stone Canyon Band
    #78 - AUBREY - Bread
    #80 - ONE LESS SET OF FOOTSTEPS - Jim Croce
    #85 - PEACEFUL - Helen Reddy
    #86 - KEEP ON SINGING - Austin Roberts
    #87 - AIN'T NO WOMAN [LIKE THE ONE I GOT] -Four Tops - past Motown act
    #88 - KISSING MY LOVE - Bill Withers
    #90 - FOLLOW YOUR DAUGHTER HOME - Guess Who
    #92 - DO IT IN THE NAME OF LOVE - Candi Staton
    #94 - SUGAR MAGNOLIA - Grateful Dead
    #97 - WISH THAT I COULD TALK TO YOU - Sylvers
    #100 - LOVE MUSIC - Raiders

Motown:
    no debuts:

2nd week: NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips #62 up 24 from #86
    2nd week: WE'RE GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME - Rare Earth #99 again
    4th week: ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #53 up8 from #61
    5th week: ^ HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin #77 up 3 from #80
    8th week: I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #45 again
    9th week: ^ SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson #63 up 5 from #68

17th week: PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations - off from#62

off: one
    PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE - Temptations

A twelve minute song on the ALL DIRECTIONS LP, PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE has a four minute intro, longer than most Top 40 hits in their entirety, before The Temptations' first word. Whittled by Whitfield to a 'concise' 7 minute 45, [with an intro that was still 2 minutes], the producer pulled off Motown's most historically lengthy and therefore unlikely #1 for The Temptations. The concept was one of exploring the contributions of various instruments to create the sum total of a record, those components as important as the vocals in delivering power to thoughtful lyrics.

from wiki:

Stereogum called it, "a monolith. A towering monument out of tense hi-hats and pulsating bass and shivering strings and hard-strutting chicken-scratch guitars and panicked trumpet-blasts. And the merciless four-four stomp-clap beat predicted not just disco but house music, as well."
    The single's B-side provides an instrumental version [courtesy of the Funk Bros], a format that will become a popular lure for dance DJs looking for ways to customize or extend the 45s they are spinning.

PAPA WAS A ROLLIN' STONE
    is the second #1 for The Temptations written by Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield [JUST MY IMAGINATION the other.] Together the two also imagined I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE, a double Billboard #1 for Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight. Barrett's first hit for the company was MONEY THAT'S WHAT I WANT [#29 1959]. All were recorded in Detroit and now that Motown has moved on to LA, Strong has decided this is the time to part company. This becomes the last hit Barrett Strong will contribute to Motown. Quite an exit.

RIP Barrett Strong [February 5, 1941 – January 28, 2023]

A very good week for:
    Synthesized music.
    Stevie Wonder has now achieved a #1 record with a pronounced Moog presence [as well as the clavinet, Billy Preston's new keyboard of choice] And Emerson Lake and Palmer who fiddled with it as mostly a tagged on whim to a song, find themselves with a record with long endurance:

Chart #17
    April 24, 1971:

Perusing the Hot 100, it's always amazing to realize the familiar songs that never became big enough radio/sales hits to break the Top 40 . This week at # 49 in its seventh week, [it'll peak at #48], is LUCKY MAN by progressive rock band Emerson Lake & Palmer. Although their debut album that LUCKY MAN was drawn and shortened from reached #4 in the UK [#18 US], this, their first single , did not chart at all in their homeland.

What makes the recording rather fun is that it was written by Greg Lake years earlier when he was 12, when he first got a guitar and learned some basic chords. Not fun, the song's story is of a lucky man who had everything ,went to war, and died. The group didn't like the song and only after much studio reworking by Lake did it develop into the acceptable composition. LUCKY MAN is also one of the first rock songs to feature a synthesizer solo [recorded in one take by Emerson.]

LUCKY MAN
    has returned for its second round of chart residency and in its cumulative 18th week is peaking this time at #51, again closing in but failing to make the Top 40. LUCKY MAN is proving a problematic hit for the group, as its' studio created layering is hard to duplicate in their live shows.

One more week before dropping will give LUCKY MAN a 19 week run, pretty frustrating to not break the Top 40 in the process. Still its a better scenario than not making the Hot 100 at all as is the case for the current single by People's Choice, a funk band formed in Philadelphia. It is also just scratching the Soul chart this week at #45, its peak.
    The group is more instrumental than lyrical and their style has caught the attention of Gamble and Huff, who in a couple of years will release the group's first album and take their distinctive dance sound to a more successful level.

LET ME DO MY THING
    taps into a common phrase and attitude of the times, Isaac Hayes went on for 19 minutes about DO YOUR THING on the SHAFT Soundtrack. The Isley Brothers took the theme to #2 on their first post Motown release on their T-NECK label with IT'S YOUR THING.

Quiet edition of Billboard and Motown, no news / ads.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-09-2023 at 01:06 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #06

Feb 10 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 137 [!]

last week: 135

including:

** NEW YORK CITY - I'M DOIN' FINE NOW12:46)
    Producer: Thom Bell; writers: Thom Bell, Sherman Marshall;. This is a good introduction to this new act which emphasizes a confident sound for a very confident philsophy about doing fine without that special person. The rhythm is insistent and the brass and strings swing along in the background while the voices keep on moving along.Chelsea 78-0103

also recommended:

** FIRST CHOICE - Armed And Extremely Dangerous, [2:49] producer:
    Stan Harris and Staff; writers: Norman Harris, Al Pheider; Nikel Shoe,
    Six Strings, Philly Groove 175 .

** disco significant record
    _______

After two Motown records spend two and-a-half months spinning their wheels in the lower chart territory, the chart relieves them of their struggles this week. Its Hot 100 goodbye forever to Valerie Simpson as a solo artist, and Smokey Robinson as a Miracles group artist. Meanwhile, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye remain in the Top 10, but each are headed downward. Jermaine is still bulleting, but the advances are modest, he breaks into the Top 20 at #18 with DADDY'S HOME. Most worrisome: Diana Ross' featured song from her movie debut remains outside the Top 40 into week 5, and now without a bullet. No records debut and with two falling off, the tally for the label on the Hot 100 shrinks to seven.

The Top 10:

Elton John with CROCODILE ROCK is in the second week of his first #1 . YOU'RE SO VAIN is still strong enough to hold the #2 place again, while Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION slips down a couple to #5. Don't want to say Marvin's in TROUBLE MAN, but he's down a position from his #7 peak. Two new ones again this round and again as the bottom two, both titles' mouthfuls: DON'T EXPECT ME TO BE YOUR FRIEND by Lobo in at #9 from #12 and COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE by The Spinners up to #10 from #13. Bye then to HI HI HI by Wings, one week in the Top 10, falling from #10 to #17 and YOUR MOMMA DON'T DANCE drops down to #13 from #5.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    SUPERSTITION
    - Stevie Wonder - still Top 5 at #5
    ^TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye slips a notch to #8
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 10th week on the Hot 100, to #18 with a bullet from #21.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 19 positions

KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG - Roberta Flack #15 from #34

Debuts:
    4 Singles , 3 USA , 1 Canadian, 1+Top 10 bound+, 1 by proxy
    LIVING TOGETHER, GROWING TOGETHER - The Fifth Dimension #34 up 10 from #44 [20th and final Top 40 hit]
    I GOT ANTS IN MY PANTS - James Brown #36 up 10 from #46 [40th Top 40 hit]
    BIG CITY MISS RUTH ANN - Gallery #33 up 9 from #42 [3rd and final Top 40 hit]
    +DANNY'S SONG+ - Ann Murray #40 up 9 from #49 [2nd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

10 45's break through , 6 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 2 Philly International related
    Highest Debut:
    3rd tier:
    #77 - MASTER OF EYES - Aretha Franklin

#83 - LOST HORIZON - Shawn Phillips
    #84 - STIR IT UP - Johnny Nash
    #85 - A LETTER TO MYSELF - Chi-Lites
    #88 - BREAK UP TO MAKE UP - Stylistics
    #90 - COOK WITH HONEY - Judy Collins
    #92 - MAGIC WOMAN TOUCH - Hollies
    #97 - GOOD MORNING - Michael Redway
    #99 - TOSSIN & TURNIN' - Bunny Sigler
    #100 - THE NIGHTS THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA - Vickie Lawrence

Motown:
    no debuts:

3rd week: NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips #54 up 8 from #62
    3rd week: WE'RE GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME - Rare Earth #93 up 6 from #99
    5th week: ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #49 up 4 from #53
    6th week: ^ HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin #73 up 4 from #77
    10th week: I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles off from #45
    10th week: ^ SILLY WASN'T I - Valerie Simpson off from #63
    offs: two

The well has been drained dry for Smokey Robinson and The Miracles releases, especially tear oriented ones, as I CAN'T STAND TO SEE YOU CRY departs just shy of the Top 40. Smokey goes his way, The Miracles another and both will be on the charts within the year.
    Valerie Simpson recorded two albums for Motown, the second features SILLY WASN'T I on which she shares the credit on the 45's label with "the Detroit Family". Of the writing team of Ashford & Simpson, her husband Nick will release no solos LPS and the duos stronger days will now be less solid until much further into the decade.

A very good week for:
    greetings:

Paul McCartney can't say hello enough with HI HI HI #17, while John Denver echoes from the mountain tops with a ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH #12. Alice Cooper offers a chipper HELLO HURRAY #65, while Diana Ross sighs out a bluesy GOOD MORNING to her HEARTACHE #49. New this week a simple GOOD MORNING from Michael Redway #97. Engelbert Humperdinck seems confused by it all responding I NEVER SAID GOODBYE at #69.

Meanwhile Burt Bacharach is having a semi-sweet week.

Two songs from the movie remake of LOST HORIZON appear on this week's Hot 100. In at #83 is the movie's theme , and returning this week to the Top 40 is The Fifth Dimension and their version of LIVING TOGETHER, GROWING TOGETHER also from the musical film [which will turn out to be the last Top 40 hit for the group.] That all sounds good except the movie is getting horrible reviews and Bacharach is not pleased with the handling of his music therein. To make matters worse, Hal David his writing partner for scores of successful tunes and this project, is indifferent about the situation. It has gotten so bad there is now litigation between the two, and the now likely split of their partnership has led to concerns by Dionne Warwick, who is now also suing, saying the two need to continue to fulfill their contract to provide music for her . Whew.
    One of the songs from LOST HORIZON, THE THINGS I WILL NOT MISS will be recorded by Diana Ross snd Marvin Gaye for their duet project:

which will not make the final cut for inclusion in their album.
    Burt will rerecord several songs from LOST HORIZON and release them under his own name next year including LIVING TOGETHER GROWING TOGETHER:

The Fifth Dimension's version will peak at #32 [#5 AC] and it appears to be Burt's last new composition to chart Top 40 the rest of the 70's.

RIP Burt Freeman Bacharach [May 12, 1928 – February 8, 2023]

If anyone were to notice, this might be the week to say disco has arrived, at least from the Philly camp where they are honing in the sound. Two records get reviewed that are welcomed by the emerging bars and private 'loft' parties that are spinning records.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-14-2023 at 03:46 AM.

Chart #07

Feb 17 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 121
    last week: 137

including:

THE TEMPTATIONS - MASTERPIECE [5:30] producer: Norman Whitfield writer: N Whitfield . This is a complete story within a song of life in the ghetto. All the members take turns handling lead vocals chores and combined with the complicated and superb instrumental arrangements makes for an overall top performance. GORDY 7126.
    _________

SUPERSTITION
    remains Motown's biggest record, although it along with TROUBLE MAN fall from the Top 10. Jermaine Jackson's release still moving upward in the Top 40, slowly but surely and is joined there this week by Gladys Knight and the Pips, squeaking in at just #40. They jump over Diana Ross who still lies outside the Top 40 and with no bullet. No debuts on the Hot 100 while one drops away: six singles total.

The Top 10:
    Week three for Elton’s CROCODILE ROCK as YOU'RE SO VAIN holds tight at #2 . Norman “Hurricane” Smith who studio engineered close to 100 Beatles cuts is at #3 with OH BABE WHAT WOULD YOU SAY a song written by his wife . Three new records break into the Top 10, two of those right up into the Top 5. At #4 from #11 DUELING BANJOS from the movie DELIVERANCE,and at #5 KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG Roberta Flack big jump from #15. At #10 is John Denver's ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH up two. Out: THE WORLD IS A GHETTO by War , to #11 from #7 and two Motown records, SUPERSTITION by Stevie Wonder, and TROUBLE MAN by Marvin Gaye.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    SUPERSTITION
    - Stevie Wonder - leaves the Top 10 from #5 to #12
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 11th week on the Hot 100, to #15 with a bullet from #18.
    TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye slips some notches to #17 from #8
    ^NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips enter at #40.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 11 positions
    THE COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE - Dr Hook /Medicine Show #19 from #30

Six new ones , 5 US & 1 UK, 1+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    I'M JUST A SINGER IN A ROCK N ROLL BAND - Moody Blues #28 up 14 from #42 [7th Top 40 hit]

AUBREY
    - Bread - #36 up 20 from #56 [11th Top 40 hit]
    JESUS IS JUST ALRIGHT WITH ME - Doobie Bros. #37 up 4 from #41 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    HUMMINGBIRD - Seals & Crofts #38 up 3 from #41 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    +NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE]+ - Gladys Knight & The Pips#40 up 14 from #54 [15th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Big turnover, fourteen new 45's: 8 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    Third tier:
    #73 - CALL ME [COME BACK HOME] - Al Green

#79 - BITTER BAD - Melanie
    #78 - TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE - Dawn
    #84 - BOO BOO DON'T 'CHA BE BLUE - Tommy James
    #85 - PARDON ME SIR - Joe Cocker
    #86 - STEP BY STEP - Joe Simon
    #87 - DREAM COME TRUE - Mac Davis
    #88 - DAISY A DAY - Jud Strunk
    #89 - ONE MAN BAND PLAYS ALL ALONE - Ronnie Dyson
    #91 - BREAKING UP SOMEONE'S HOME - Albert King
    #92 - WALK ON THE WILD SIDE - Lou Reed
    #96 - BELL BOTTOM BLUES - Eric Clapton
    #99 - WILDFLOWER - Skylark
    #100 - SHE'S GOT TO BE A SAINT - Ray Price

Motown:
    no debuts:

4th week: WE'RE GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME - Rare Earth off from #93
    6th week: ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #45 up 4 from #49
    7th week: ^ HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin #70 up 3 from #73

offs: one

The good time was short for Rare Earth, under a month for the group's last Hot 100 visit for the next few years. Their fifth album, from which this single was taken, their first to feature all original material [no covers] and produced entirely by themselves is proving as ill-advised as the LP's cover with the mysterious title. It's their first LP to not go gold, but titling it WE'RE GONNA HAVE A GOOD TIME likely wouldn't have made the difference.
    ________

A very good week for:
    the same ol' songs

I count 37 songs that have never charted on the Top 40 before doing so now. Most are original tunes seeing the light of day for the first time. Others are remakes of songs with other versions that never charted such as JAMBALAYA by the Blue Ridge Rangers, that was #1 country for Hank Williams, but only appeared on that chart.

Three are remakes of songs that were charting hits previously: Jermaine Jackson's DADDY'S HOME [#15] hit #2 in 1961 by Shep and The Limelites, who also wrote the tune. REELIN' AND A ROCKIN' is a Chuck Berry number that was the B-side to SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN but didn't hit the Top 40 on its own until The Dave Clark Five took it to #23 in 1965 . Now Chuck himself is charting it with a live version [#27]. The most reinvented repeater on the chart is Bette Midler's slowed down interpretation of DO YOU WANT TO DANCE, 17-year-old Bobby Freeman's 1958 #2 hit. [Also #12 by the Beach Boys in 1965]

Another reinvented song is gripping the bottom of the Hot 100, in its second and final week, TOSSIN' AND TURNIN' by Bunny Sigler at #97 [#38 Soul.]
    A Philly native, Bunny Sigler has brought a dash of energy to the Gamble & Huff fold as a songwriter/ performer.

Bobby Lewis maneuvered a challenged life without a family and with poor eyesight. He found a means by performing musically in the mid-west, and upon moving to New York City at the age of 35, he recorded TOSSIN’ AND TURNIN' and it went to #1 for seven weeks in 1961, Bobby’s shining moment. Almost blind, Lewis would live to age 95.

Supremes get a performance review:

Flamboyan Hotel , San Juan

The Supremes rolled back into the Royal Room here more determined than ever to emerge from the shadow of their 1960's incarnation - but they didn't make it.
    If anything they seemed to have deteriorated as a nightclub act since they were here last year when Linda Laurence had joined the group.
    Jean Terrell is an effective lead singer but she doesn't radiate that "star" quality the group sorely needs.
    Instead it’s Mary Wilson who stands out in the stage presence department with her fluid grace and personal radiance.
    Today’s Supremes, seem on stage anyway, to exhibit more individual differences than the tight togetherness of their past….

….The recording studio can still capture the sound but the on stage excitement just doesn’t seem to be there anymore.
    Meanwhile at The Copacabana , NewYork:

The Temptations
    Quiet Elegance

Of all the groups first groomed by the Motown empire, only The Temptations have really succeeded in retaining their force as major concert and recording artists through the past decade. Their Copa appearance was a celebration of that fact …
    Next week: Diana Ross
    ———

SIGNINGS:
    Gladys Knight and the Pips have signed an exclusive recording contract with The Buddah Group
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-23-2023 at 02:34 AM.

Chart #08

Feb 24 , 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 78

last week: 121

_______

Nice week: Four records on the Top 40, two new ones on the Hot 100 [one from the Temptations, one from a former Temptation], no drop offs , eight singles in all charting from Motown. Jermaine Jackson now has the label's hottest record, another move upward with a bullet to #12. Gladys Knight and the Pips have the week's biggest mover [three way tie] on the Top 40 with NEITHER ONE OF US. Diana Ross, as close as is possible to breaking the Top 40, is at #41. Next week?
    _________

The Top 10:

Roberta Flack is now two in a row at #1, this time with KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG in just five weeks of being on the Hot 100. DUELING BANJOS is just below that up two from #4. Elton John's CROCODILE ROCK's three week run at #1 ends with a drop to#3. Two new songs enter: The Canadian group named Edward Bear with LAST SONG is their first song to chart in every way, now being their first Top 10 at #7 from #13. Also bulleting in is LOVE TRAIN by The OJays, #9 from #15. Hurricane Smith does a deep dive this week, with OH BABE, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY out of the Top 10 from #3, to #11. And Timmy Thomas after peaking at #3 now drops from #9 to #14with WHY CAN'T WE LIVE TOGETHER. Both songs will prove to be championed by one hit wonders.

Timmy Thomas' recording is one of the earliest hits out of Henry Stone's collage of small labels under his TK banner out of the Miami Florida area. Timmy's impromptu one-man recording features Thomas using an electric organ and a [sequenced?] rhythm machine. When his demo recording made the rounds locally, the sensation it created left the label deciding to release it as is...
    The two-million seller will help finance the arriving empire of Stone's "Miami Sound" which will provide fuel for the upcoming disco scene from various acts. Henry Wayne Casey [KC] is already working as a part-timer at the studio and KC & The Sunshine Band is not far off.

Thomas later will repurpose the hit in this breezy spin off:

Produced by Willie Clarke of CLEAN UP WOMAN and ROCKING CHAIR fame.

Motown:
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 12th week on the Hot 100, to #12 with a bullet from #16.
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder - descends to #17 from #12
    TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye slips some notches to #25 from #17
    ^NEITHER OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] sic - Gladys Knight & The Pips bound to #31 from #40.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 9 spots by three titles:
    NEITHER OF US - Gladys Knight #31 from #40 , DANNY'S SONG - Anne Murray#26 from #35, AUBREY - Bread #27 from #36.

Five new ones , 4 US & 1 UK, 1+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 1by proxy
    Highest debut:
    GIVE ME YOUR LOVE - Barbara Mason #34 up 7 from #41 [3rd Top 40 hit]

SPACE ODDITY
    - David Bowie - #36 up 6 from #42 [*1st Time Artist]
    DON'T CROSS THE RIVER - America - #37 up 7 from #43 [4th Top 40 hit]
    +AIN'T NO WOMAN LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT+ - Four Tops -#39 up 7 from #46 [19th Top 40 hit]
    DEAD SKUNK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD - Loudon Wainwright III #40 up 7 from #47 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

eleven new 45's: 5 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #67 - SING - Carpenters

#69 - THE MASTERPIECE sic - Temptations
    3rd tier:
    #73 - SUPERMAN - Donna Fargo
    #85 - DRIFT AWAY - Dobie Gray
    #87 - PINBALL WIZARD/SEE ME FEEL ME - The New Seekers
    #92 - SAIL ON SAILOR - Beach Boys
    #93 - NAMES TAGS NUMBERS & LABELS - The Association
    #94 - FUNKY WORM - Ohio Players
    #95 - GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND ** - Eddie Kendricks
    #96 - STOP WAIT AND LISTEN - Circus
    #99 - TEDDY BEAR SONG - Barbara Fairchild
    #100 - WE DID IT - Syl Johnson

Disco significant record

Motown:
    2 debuts
    1st week: THE MASTERPIECE - Temptations #69 - DEBUT
    1st week: GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND - Eddie Kendricks - #95 - DEBUT

7th week: ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #41 up 3 from #45
    8th week: ^ HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin #67 up 3 from #70

offs: none
    _________

A very good week for:
    Curtis Mayfield
    SUPERFLY falls out of the Top 40 this week with a 15 week run, the second of two Top 10 hits for Mayfield from his SUPERFLY Soundtrack that was Billboard's #1 LP for 4 weeks [6 weeks Soul]. This same week, Barbra Mason has the Top 40's highest debuting single with the third cut from the movie score also penned by Mayfield.

also a very super week for:
    super singles:
    SUPERFLY is also one of three super named singles this week, the other two being Stevie Wonder's SUPERSTITION [#17], and new this chart: SUPERMAN [#73] from Donna Fargo.

After a seven week attempt at becoming a hit, Johnny Williams' SLOW MOTION Part I falls off after peaking at #78. Johnny has released various singles on various labels since 1964. Now he's taking a shot at recording at Philadelphia International:

SLOW MOTION
    is a curious release ..... Although the "A" side is listed as a Part 1, the "B" side is an entirely different song. Part 2, if there is one, gets set aside. Williams will do another single for PI, then release a couple more on a couple of other labels until 1978 and that's it. No LPs along the way and no Part II.

Review:

Diana Ross
    Caesar's Palace Las Vegas

Diana Ross has established herself as a superstar with her current outing at Caesar's. The Motown artist kept complete control over the audience with a wide range of selections including a rousing opener DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE.
    Looking cool and sexy, the slim lady's arrangements are all uptempo and straight ahead featuring HAPPY with lyrics by Smokey Robinson and a fun "Big Mable Murphy" and two selections from Sesame Street.
    Her Supremes medley was warmly received by the full house. Her swing soul feeling on a medley from her movie LADY SINGS THE BLUES transformed the primarily white
    middle-class mom and pop audience into a hip with it crowd.
    The entire show was a crowd pleaser from start to finish. Her personality is delightful and her voice and appearance in great form. Miss Ross ends her seemingly too short hour with GOOD LIFE as she shakes hands with the crowd who respond with a standing ovation.
    During her engagement the show was rerecorded live for Motown with Gil Askey conducting the Nat Brandwynne Orchestra,
    Full page ad for The Jackson Five's new single HALLELUJAH DAY. Pictured in ad the new J5 no Jermaine plus Randy

Two page ad congratulating Diana Ross for her Academy Award nomination. [2nd page entirely of a Diana Ross as Billie Holiday visual]

With little fanfare Billboard made a noteworthy announcement last week in its EXECUTIVE TURNTABLE column:

Willis [Bill] Wardlow was named Associate Publisher of Billboard Magazine ... Wardlow will headquarter in New York. His new responsibilities are in addition to the post he has held for the past two years as president of FIND , the dealer special order service. As Associate Publisher, he will serve as the administrative head of the magazine's operations there providing advice and counsel ....
    Wardlow is a key figure. Headquartering in NYC he will become smitten with the erupting bar/disco scene and the music played there. Bill's clout burgeons as he becomes Billboard's chart steward, and he will premiere a disco section in the magazine and create Billboard's disco conventions.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-27-2023 at 12:54 AM.

Chart #09

March 3, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 122

last week: 78

including:

THE UNDISPUTED TRUTH - Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing [ Don't Say No] [3:20]; producer: Norman Whitfield, writer. Norman Whitfield, The group has the answer to a good life: be a a guitar man and fulfill a "burning desire" for all the best life has to offer. Pulsating rhythms of American and Afro origin and standout brass parts lend support to the strong vocal presentation. Gordy 7124

also recommended:

THE NU PAGE - When The Brothers Come Marching Home [2:44] producer: Robert Gordy: writers: M McLeod. M. Bolton. C. Carrington Q. Deneard Mowest 5037

WILLIE HUTCH - Brother's Gonna Work It Out [2:56] producer: Willie Hutch writer: Willie Hutch Motown 12220
    ______

Not a bad week for Motown although their highest charter, Jermaine Jackson's DADDY'S HOME has stalled at #12. But close at hand, Gladys Knight and the Pips are already into the Top 20 with the Top 40's biggest mover of twelve notches. In her 8th week, Diana Ross narrowly pushes her way into the Top 40 with GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE at #39. With SUPERSTITION still charting there, Motown has 4 songs in the Top 40 [Marvin drops out] with The Temptations closing in. With no debuts on the Hot 100 and with one title giving up its struggle, the label has seven 45s total riding the charts.

The Top 10:

2nd week at #1 for Roberta Flack's KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG, fighting off a challenge by FEUDING BANJOS still pressing hard at #2. Instrumentals are not always in the Top 10, this week there are two, as the music from DELIVERANCE is joined by ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA [2001] by Brazilian born Eumir Deodato, a strong entry at #8 from #18 . Making room: Steely Dan made it to #6 and now dips to #11 with DO IT AGAIN. Not bad their first time out, we'll see if they can....repeat.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 13th week on the Hot 100, at #12 again
    ^NEITHER OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] sic - Gladys Knight & The Pips bounds to #20 from #31 .
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder - descends to#29 from #17
    ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - : Diana Ross DEBUT just barely, #39 from #41 no bullet

Biggest mover in the Top 40: Twelve digits:
    NEITHER OF US [WANTS TO SAY GOODBYE] To #20 from #32

Six new ones , all US, 2 +Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    All songs are also on the Soul chart except SOUL SONG , which is a cross over from the Country chart. Go figure.
    Highest debut:
    +BREAK UP TO MAKE UP+ - The Stylistics #22 up 20 from #42

+
    CALL ME [COME BACK HOME]+
    - Al Green #28 up 14 from #42 [6th Top 40 hit]
    STIR IT UP - Johnny Nash #36 up 8 from #44 [5th and final Top 40 hit]
    KISSING MY LOVE - Bill Withers #38 up 8 from #46 [4th Top 40 hit]
    GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #39 up 2 from #41 [6th Top 40 hit]
    SOUL SONG - Joe Stampley #40 up 3 from #43 [ One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

eleven new 45's: 5 Top 40 bound, 5 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 2 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy

Highest debut:
    3rd tier:
    #74 - ONE MAN PARADE - James Taylor

#79 - CISCO KID - War
    #81 - OUT OF THE QUESTION - Gilbert Sullivan
    #82 - THE TWELFTH OF NEVER - Donny Osmond
    #84 - IF YOU GOT TO BREAK ANOTHER HEART - Albert Hammond
    #86 - STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU - Steeler's Wheel
    #88 - YESTERDAY I HAD THE BLUES - Harold Melvin/Blue Notes
    #94 - LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - Brownsville Station
    #96 - I'M DOING FINE NOW - New York City **
    #98 - HOCUS POCUS - Focus
    #99 - RIVER ROAD - Uncle Dog

** disco significant record
    _________

Motown:
    0 debuts
    2nd week: ^ THE MASTERPIECE - Temptations #46 up 23 from #69
    2nd week: ^ GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND - Eddie Kendricks - #90 up 5 from #95 -
    9th week: - HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin - OFF from #70
    12th week: TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye #62 down 37 from #25

offs: one
    HAPPY [LOVE THEME FROM LADY SINGS THE BLUES] - Bobby Darin

One of Motown's more curious releases, LOVE THEME is an instrumental heard in the LADY SINGS THE BLUES movie and on its soundtrack.

Smokey Robinson belatedly wrote lyrics to the music which then somehow got assigned to Bobby Darin, who had earlier signed to Motown with an unnoticed 1972 LP along with unnoticed singles from it. HAPPY is pressed in conjunction with the movie and its' soundtrack, titled as their love theme although the actual connection to them is elusive. This tangential release is now in direct competition for chart action with the chosen single actually from the project by Diana Ross.
    Berry Gordy has a lot of faith in HAPPY, putting out ads in the trades and including the song in the Las Vegas shows of Diana Ross [who otherwise has nothing to do with the song.] Michael Jackson will also take a stab at it. Meanwhile Bobby Darin has his own prime time TV show at this time and he performs it there on the first episode that airs.

All this bother yet HAPPY peaks at #70.
    --- No resulting LP is built around it for Bobby Darin. Troubled with conditions his entire life, he is not in good health, breathing oxygen after performances. A follow-up heart surgery at the end of this year will go awry. Bobby Darin will pass away at 37. HAPPY is his last recording and his last Hot 100 appearance.

A very good week for:
    Don McLean
    Don's in the Top 40 for the last time this decade with DREIDEL peaking this week at #21, while also being at #1 in a way, since KILLING ME SOFTLY was written about him, the song initiated on a napkin while watching him perform in 1971.

Five Motowners on the Britain chart this week :

SUPERSTITION
    - Stevie Wonder repeats at #11
    TAKE ME GIRL, I'M READY - Jr Walker/All Stars #16 from #20
    HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight/Pips #32 from #28
    PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - Temptations #33 from #25
    BEN - Michael Jackson #49 from #35
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-06-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Chart #10

March 10, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 139

last week: 122

including:

POP PICKS
    :

JACKSON FIVE - Hallelujah Day [2:53] producer: Berry Gordy Jr. writers: P. Perren C. Davis The brothers are collectively happy about happy times and the fact that love is on its way and there are rays of hope for tomorrow. The lyrics are that simple and the cymbal hand clapping rhythmic sound generates a bouncy enthusiasm. Motown 1224

STEVIE WONDER - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life [2:45] producer: Stevie Wonder; writer: Stevie Wonder, Perhaps the most commercial Wonder single ever with a rich orchestral backing and female voice in the duetting. This is a soft haunting ballad with outstanding electric piano runs and outstanding production work. Tamla 54232

First Time Around:

IRENE RYAN - No Time At All [3:58] producer: Bob Crewe: writer: Schwartz Motown 1221 Vet TV actress has lots of strength for this tune from "Pippin" with a good contemporary background.

SOUL PICK:

DAVID RUFFIN - Blood Donors Needed[Give All You Can][3:40]producer: Bobby Miller: writer: B. Miller This is a somber frightening story about war in the ghetto and human destruction. Ruffin's voice is a bit clouded by very srtong percussion but he gets his message out to the world nonetheless. Motown 1223

Big spring push of new material from Motown [see above] as well as plenty of chart activity. Maybe Billboard got a courtesy call this week from Motown pointing out some things: after stalling last week at #12 [when it was #9 in both Record World and Cash Box] Jermaine Jackson gets his second wind and is now in the Top 10, at #10, with a bullet. Not far below are Gladys Knight and The Pips with the now corrected title to their hit, and below that The Temptations debut with their record's title also now corrected.
    Limping but still gaining, Diana Ross' cover of Billie Holiday's GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE is at #36. Four songs on the Top 40, five Hot 100, all going up.

The Top 10:

Holding firm and killing it, Roberta Flack at #1, 3rd week , as well DUELING BANJOS holding at #2, LAST SONG at #3 again, and COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE again at #4. Trying to wedge in, the O'Jay's LOVE TRAIN advances to #5 from#7. Two new ones, one from Motown, at #10 is DADDY'S HOME from Jermaine Jackson and Dr. Hook's COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE is #8 from #11. Out: two friendly tunes: Former #1 YOU'RE SO VAIN by Carly Simon from #6 to #11 and DON'T EXPECT ME TO BE YOUR FRIEND by Lobo to #12 from #10.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 14th week on the Hot 100, at #10 with a bullet.
    ^NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips bounds to #16 from #20 .
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations Debuts at #34
    ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross #36 from #39 no bullet
    SUPERSTITION - Stevie Wonder - OFF from #29
    off: one

After 16 weeks on the Hot 100, becoming a lucky member of the 4 month club, SUPERSTITION now retires, while a follow-up single [see above] from the same LP, TALKING BOOK, released last year in October, is already in the pipeline. The cut has somehow remained under wraps, but is about to take the charts and radio by storm for Stevie once again.
    ________

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 13 positions
    AIN'T NO WOMAN LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT - Four Tops #20 from #33

Break ins: Just four, all US: 2 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +SING+ - Carpenters #31 up 18 from #49 [9th Top 40 hit]

+MASTERPIECE+ - Temptations ##34 up 12 from #46 [31st Top 40 hit]
    HELLO HURRAY - Alice Cooper #38 up 3 from #41 [4th Top 40 hit]
    PEACEFUL - Helen Reddy #40 up 5 from #45 [3rd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Ten new 45's: 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier
    #80 - OH LA DE DA -Staple Singers

#82 - REELING IN THE YEARS - Steely Dan
    #83 - CINDY INCIDENTALLY - Faces
    #85 - DOWN AND OUT IN NEW YORK CITY - James Brown
    #88 - GUDBUY T'JANE - Slade
    #94 - THE LORD KNOWS I'M DRINKING - Cal Smith
    #97 - ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ** - First Choice
    #98 - FRANKENSTEIN - Edgar Winter
    #99 - LAST TANGO IN PARIS - Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass
    #100 - ROSANNA - Dennis Yost/Classics IV

disco significant record

Motown:
    No debuts

3rd week: ^ GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND - Eddie Kendricks - #87 up 3 from #90
    13th week: TROUBLE MAN - Marvin Gaye OFF from #62

-
    Marvin Gaye's lone single from his lone film score of the same name, TROUBLE MAN, took him into the Top 10 peaking at #7. Gaye's already back in the studio working on his next LP, and is about to record his next single, one that'll be even bigger.

A very good week for:

Peace ...but what week isn't

The Eagles' PEACEFUL EASY FEELING is peaking this week at #22, their third single from their debut LP EAGLES. The song is a breakthrough for newcomer performer/songwriter, Jack Tempchin of San Diego, who presented it to The Eagles just eight days after they had formed as a group.
    Debuting in the Top 40 is PEACEFUL from Helen Reddy. A remake of a 1967 Kenny Rankin song, it is the second single from Reddy's debut LP.
    War, meanwhile have the #1 Soul LP still with THE WORLD IS A GHETTO which will also go #1 on Billboard's Top 200 LPs ...making it an early contender for the best selling album of 1973

Country music continues to filtrate into the Hot 100. Anne Murray's DANNY'S SONG is currently the highest charter at #16. It'll go top 10 both here and on the country chart . Others are Joe Stampley's SOUL SONG #37, Donna Fargo's SUPERMAN #57, TEDDY BEAR SONG by Barbara Fairchild #95, and Cal Smith's THE LORD KNOWS I'M DRINKING debuting at #94.

Two twists to the country angle this week:
    Bettye Swann is peaking at #46 with the Merle Haggard standard TODAY I STARTED LOVING YOU AGAIN. Recorded by many artists, Merle wrote it in 1968 [with Buck Owen's wife, Bonnie] and it was released as the b-side to the #1 country hit, BONNIE AND CLYDE. Merle never had a hit with it and Bettye's version is the song's best performer on the Hot 100.

And then there's Gladys Knight's NEITHER ONE OF US, a song their producer Joe Porter pulled from selections from a new country songwriter/performer named Jim Weatherly. At the same time, the song was spotted by country singer Bob Luman. Neither versions are redos of the other, each are original interpretations that worked the charts at exactly the same time. This week Luman's NEITHER ONE OF US is at #14 country moving up 9 notches from #23 and will peak there at #7.

That version is closer to Jim Weatherly's original.
    Porter's method with the Pips was to allow them artistic freedom, turning songs over to the group to let them develop them into their style, then record them. Their skill at shaping a song blends well with what Weatherly's songwriting has to offer. The Pips will do two more of his songs, one about to be their definitive classic.

Noteworthy: Something BIG is happening in the UK: Slade.
    They debut here on the Hot 100 at #88 with GUDBUY T'JANE a record that has already reached #2 in the UK. Their latest there, out this week, is the group's fourth #1 single, this time with no suspence, CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE enters the UK chart at #1. This hasn't happened since The Beatles GET BACK in 1969.
    GUDBYE T'JANE
    will be their most successful single in the US. We'll keep an eye on it [as well as this group] to see what that means.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-15-2023 at 03:04 AM.

Chart #11

March 17, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 133
    last week: 139

Big records charting by big Motown names: The Temptations, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson Five, Diana Ross, [The Four Tops] this week , two new titles on the Hot 100 [one as the chart's highest debut.] Two Motowners in the Top 10.
    One record though couldn't get legs, so in less than a month, Eddie Kendricks bows out. With one off and two on, Motown is working six records this week, all on the rise.

The Top 10:

KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG remains the national favorite, Roberta Flack's 4th week now, while DUELING BANJOS still presses at #2. LOVE TRAIN remains on track at #3 up two from #5. The typical two new singles: Big bolt for NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] by Gladys Knight & The Pips from #16 to #8 giving Motown two Top Tenners, with Jermaine just below at #9 a move up of one from #10. Moving into that spot is Anne Murray's DANNY'S SONG from #15 last week. Taking a tumble from his ROCKY MT. HIGH is John Denver [now a 4-month-club member] from #9 to #15, and its see ya later, CROCODILE ROCK by Elton John [likely 4-month-club member next week] dips to #13 from #7.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips big leap into the Top 10 to #8 from #16 .
    ^DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 15th week on the Hot 100, at #9 from #10.
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations big leap to #25 from #34.
    ^GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross nudges to #34 from #36.
    ________

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 13 positions
    AIN'T NO WOMAN LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT - Four Tops #20 from #33

5 arrivals, 3 big ones, 1 UK 4 US, 3+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy

Highest debut:
    +TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE+ - Dawn #29 up 19 from #48 [6th Top 40 hit]

+THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA+ - Vicki Lawrence #30 up 17 from #47 [One Hit Wonder]
    +LITTLE WILLIE+ - The Sweet #36 up 10 from #49 [first time artist]
    ONE LESS SET OF FOOTSTEPS - Jim Croce #39 up 3 from #42 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    COOK WITH HONEY - Judy Collins #40 up 5 from #45 [3rd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eight premieres, all vets: 4 Top 40 bound, 0 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 0 by proxy

Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #76 - YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder

#84 - CHERRY CHERRY - Neil Diamond
    #85 - HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five
    #87 - WHO WAS IT? - Hurricane Smith
    #89 - I KNEW JESUS BEFORE HE WAS A STAR -Glen Campbell
    #90 - BLUE SUEDE SHOES - Johnny Rivers
    #99 - KUFANYA MAPPENZIE - Ramsey Lewis
    #100 - DANCING TO YOUR MUSIC - Archie Bell & The Drells

Motown:
    Two debuts:
    1st week: YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder #76 DEBUT
    1st week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five #85 DEBUT

4th week: GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND - Eddie Kendricks - OFF from #87

one off:

DJs at bars and dances and special events are focused on the use of 45s for their spinning largely because of cost, but also for reasons like ease of use and transport. Sometimes though the gems to be found are as album cuts, and LPs can come into play. Such is the case of Eddie Kendrick's GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND, on his PEOPLE HOLD ON LP [as is another underground favorite DATE WITH THE RAIN] a floor pleaser with changing tempos and instrumental drop outs and its bonus of being seven minutes plus in length. Word of this cut's popularity has finally resulted in a release of a shortened single version as Part I and Part II. Part of the problem hindering its momentum, is this LP has been out 10 months and the discovery period of this song has already been played out by proactive DJs.

[Inspiration for Andrea True's MORE MORE MORE?]

3 weeks seems especially brief and curious for the record to be dropped from the Hot 100 when on the Soul chart it is still climbing strongly from #26 to #20 with a bullet in its 5th week and will go on to reach #13.

A very good week for:

mastery of music:

Norman Whitfield makes good use of the current incarnation of The Temptations to offer support to a composition he considers his masterpiece. MASTERPIECE does a big move within the Top 40 of nine spots, from #34 to #25. The decision for a second very long single [5:30] so soon after PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE could possibly hinder it in the long run. Still its quite a whittling from the LPs full version of 14 minutes .

And a bit of a surprising one-off for Aretha , produced by Quincy Jones and written by Aretha with Bernice Hart, who is a bit of a mystery, this apparently being her only written song, Aretha this week is at #37 with MASTER OF EYES :

MASTER OF EYES
    , recorded last August, will peak at #33 [#8 R&B] and when the Quincy Jones album project is finally released as HEY NOW HEY THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SKY in the summer, this advanced sampler showcasing Quincy's flute-lead orchestral jazziness is not included. If you haven't acquired the 45, you won't have this song in your Aretha collection for some time to come.

Two page ad promoting the Temptations' latest album, MASTERPIECE, and single of the same name.

Speaking of 45s,
    Small hole controversy:
    At a retailers gathering, covered in Billboard last week, there was agreement that small holed 45s would help sales as it eliminates the need for a spindle adapter. Quick to cry foul this week are the jukebox vendors, already reeling from the increasing trend of longer records [hence less plays ratio per hour], saying their equipment is designed around these larger holes. The switch won't happen, although as songs get longer a trend will develop to issue small hole promo 45s, especially disco. Before the idea becomes common place, Tom Moulton will stumble upon an even better idea: singles on a 12" format.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-19-2023 at 11:11 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #12

March 24, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 143!

last week: 133

Billboard reviews 143 45s, [none from Motown] and can't spot a single Top 10 hit.

4 Motown songs are in the Top 40 again this week. The current biggest hit for the label, NEITHER ONE OF US by Gladys Knight and the Pips, seems destined for #1 as it burgeons from #8 to #4. Jermaine Jackson's DADDY'S HOME has now peaked and slips out of the Top 10. Temptation's MASTERPIECE slows a bit , moving up just 3, but with a bullet. Diana Ross' single from her movie debut has peaked. Two big movers further down on the Hot 100 appear certain to reach the Top 40. No Motown singles enter or leave the Top 40 or the Hot 100, same six songs , most in the Top 40.

The Top 10:

The O'Jays, amidst several strong contenders, have weaved their way to the top, from #3 to #1 with LOVE TRAIN [already two weeks #1 on Soul chart] replacing Roberta Flack after her 4 week run with KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG, down one to #2. Deodato 's ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 2001 is #3.
    Bottom two are new: BREAK UP TO MAKE UP by The Stylistics is at #9 from #11 and The Four Tops AINT NO WOMAN [LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT], at #10 from #14
    Departing: The Spinner's COULD IT BE I'M FALLING IN LOVE falling out to #14 from #7 and DADDY'S HOME dives to#18 from #9.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips big leap within the Top 10 to #4 from #8.
    DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 16th week on the Hot 100, making it a member of the Four-Month-Club drops to #18 from #9 .
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations a slower move this round to #22 from #25 .
    GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross surrenders to #37 from #34.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 14 places
    THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA - Vicki Lawrence
    #16 from #30.

Just four new ones, all US, 2+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy

Highest debut:
    +CISCO KID+ - War - #26 up 19 from #45 [5th Top 40 hit]

+THE TWELFTH OF NEVER+ - Donny Osmond #29 up 26 from #55 [7th Top 40 hit in a row]
    A LETTER TO MYSELF - Chi-Lites #39 up 3 from #42 [4th Top 40 hit]
    DAISY A DAY - Jud Strunk #40 up 7 from #47 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Eight premieres: 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    #83 PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND - Clint Holmes

#86 - LETS PRETEND - Raspberries
    #88- ACROSS 110TH STREET - Bobby Womack
    #89 - I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT **[sic] - New Birth
    #90 - MAMA WAS A R&R SINGER, PAPA USED TO WRITE ALL HER SONGS - Sonny & Cher [final Hot 100]
    #98 - PILLOW TALK** - Sylvia
    #99 - SAW A NEW MORNING - Bee Gees
    #100 - DELTA QUEEN - Don Fardon

disco significant record

Motown:
    no debuts:
    2nd week: ^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder #56 up 20 from #76
    2nd week: ^HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five #62 up 23 from #85
    no offs.

A very good week for:
    Sigma Studios

The MFSBs are heard twice on the Top 10, first with this week's #1 with the O'Jays as well as at #10 with The Stylistics as they too move into the Top 10 replacing Thom Bell's Spinners who were there last week also featuring Sigma's house musicians. Several other songs on the Hot 100 are also from the PI studio:

#51 - ONE MAN BAND [PLAYS ALL ALONE] - Ronnie Dyson
    #67 - I'M DOING FINE NOW - New York City
    #71 - YESTERDAY I HAD THE BLUES - Harold Melvin\Blue Notes
    #81 - ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS - First Choice

Half page memorial:
    In Memory of Dr. Haley Bell
    President and Founder
    WCHB-WCHD-FM Detroit
    A good friend and a true pioneer in black radio, we shall all miss him but never forget him.
    Berry Gordy

In the UK peaking this week at #4 is FEEL THE NEED IN ME by Detroit based Detroit Emeralds. Not a bad showing for a record that failed to chart Hot 100 here. It'll take 4 years to be embraced on the US dance chart when Tom Moulton, in typical fashion, does very little to the original to 'discotize' it into a seven minute chugger. No additional instruments, studio tricks. It is mostly looped and lengthened, except for the title which is shortened to FEEL THE NEED.

Disco with swag.
    FEEL THE NEED, like all Detroit Emeralds' hits, is a Johnny Allen arranged record [horns, strings], who did the same for THEME FROM SHAFT. He has worked in Detroit for decades including at Motown and also taught Aretha Franklin to play the piano. He'll be behind several disco releases in the years to come. While the Detroit Emeralds are in the studio working on their upcoming third album, there is internal trouble.

meanwhile on the chart for Sweden:

BARA DU SLOG EN SIGNAL credited to Bjorn and Benny Agnetha and Annifred is at #4:

The full song is translated into English as RING RING by Neil Sedaka.

and over on the Hot Latin LP chart there's a guy named Julio Iglesias who's #1 in Chicago and #2 in LA.

At Billboard's 5th annual Trendsetters awards, several photos in Billboard of people accepting honors including Suzanne DePasse and Robert Gordy.

While LADY SINGS THE BLUES, Diana Ross' vocal impressions of Billie Holiday jazz tunes, never appears on Billboard's Best Selling Jazz LPs chart,
    Motown nonetheless finds itself at #1 there, as the distributing label of Eumir Deodato's PRELUDE /DEODATO on CTI Records.

There's a fun full-page full-color photo of Sylvia [Robinson] in an ad for PILLOW TALK.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-29-2023 at 10:59 AM.

Chart #13

March 31, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 152!!
    last week: 143
    including:

Rare Earth - MA - [5:24] producer: Norman Whitfield writer: Norman Whitfield; Rare Earth 5053F This is the story of a strong lady born in a log cabin in Mississippi. She chews tobacco and drinks moonshine. She's not a rolling stone but mercy does she ever have soul. Top keyboard work and a compelling narrative vocal gives this tune a solid sound throughout. This is Norman Whitfield's debut as the group's producer. Flip: instrumental.

For the second week in a row and with a very high number of singles reviewed, Billboard spots no future Top Ten hits in their picks.

This week:
    Motown has the Top 40's highest debuting 45 with Stevie Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE and the #3 record in the country with NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] by Gladys Knight and the Pips. 4 records are in the Top 40 with three of them moving up. One off, no debuts: five records charting on the Hot 100.
    Billboard spotlights Rare Earth's new single MA, another Norman Whitfield concoction with an abnormally long length. Is he pushing his luck?

The 10 Ten:

It rarely happens but this week it has: KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG returns to #1 after dropping off for a week to #2. Five non-consecutive weeks at #1 for Roberta Flack. The O'Jays spoiler, LOVE TRAIN, drops to #4 after slipping in for a week at the top, while Deodato is now #2 and Gladys Knight is up one to #3. The 4 Tops have the Top 10's biggest mover from #10 to #5 with AIN'T NO WOMAN. Two 45s enter the highest stretch: up two from #11 to #9 are The Carpenters singing SING, while Vicki Lawrence's NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA zips in at #10 from #16.
    Two are offr. Hook's COVER OF THE ROLLING STONE tumbles to #14 from #6 and DUELING BANJOS from the Deliverance movie gives up the good fight after peaking at #2 now down to #12 from #7.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips advances to #3 from #4 .
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations continues to bullet upward to #18 from #22.
    DADDY'S HOME - Jermaine Jackson, its' 17th week on the Hot 100, now dropping after a #8 peak, to #28 from #18.
    ^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder in at #29 from #56.
    off:
    GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE - Diana Ross off from #37.

GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE now says goodbye after the heartache of a weak showing [#34 peak, #20 R&B] for Diana Ross' one attempt at a hit from the many songs from her movie debut soundtrack of LADY SINGS THE BLUES , all from the Billie Holiday catalogue.
    Holiday's single of it on Decca in 1946 did not chart.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 7 positions
    LITTLE WILLIE - The Sweet - #25 from #32.

Debuts:
    Just five new ones, all career defining, 2 US, 2 UK, 1 Canadian , 2+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy

Highest debut:
    +YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE+ - Stevie Wonder #29 up 27 from #56 [24th Top 40 hit]

WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
    - Lou Reed - #31 up 10 from #41 [One Hit Wonder]
    +STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU+ - Stealers Wheel* #34 up 14 from #48 [*first time artist]
    +DRIFT AWAY+ - Dobie Gray - #36 up 14 from #50 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    +WILDFLOWER+ - Skylark - #39 up 6 from #45 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Eight premieres: 5 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #70 - THE RIGHT THING TO DO -Carly Simon

#75 - THINKING OF YOU - Loggins & Messina
    #84 - HEARTS OF STONE - Blue Ridge Rangers
    #87 - IF WE TRY - Don McLean
    #94 - NOBODY WINS - Brenda Lee
    #97 - BACK WHEN MY HAIR WAS SHORT - Dunhill Road
    #98 - GIVE IT TO ME - J Geils Band -
    #99 - WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES - Billy Preston
    #100 - IF I COULD ONLY BE SURE - Nolan Porter
    ________

Motown:
    no debuts:
    3rd week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five #52 up 10 from #62
    no offs.

A very good week for:
    Canada

with two records from that country in the Top 10 and a third entering the Top 40. The group Edward Bear out of Toronto has peaked at #3 with LAST SONG and is now #7. Anne Murray also out of Toronto is repeating this week at #8 with DANNY'S SONG. Entering the Top 40 at #39 from Vancouver is the group Skylark, with future music heavyweight David Foster on keyboards, with WILDFIRE. It peaked in Canada in 1972 at #10.

also a very good week for:
    Capitol records.
    The three Canadian hits mentioned above are all on that label.

good times ahead for a struggling Eddie Kendricks?
    Soul Sauce column reports plans for Eddie to go on an eleven country European tour.

full page ad for Rare Earth with a photo of Norman Whitfield at the studio control board, for the MA single and their "real mother" of an album yet to come.

The low rungers on the Soul chart include Clarence Carter's PUT YOUR SHOES ON AND WALK at #40 and Ann Peebles I'M GONNA TEAR YOUR PLAYHOUSE DOWN at #31.
    Both records are taking on rough relationships as their topics, each with their own solutions.
    Clarence's Muscle Shoals Fame studio's advice is to grab your coat and get out of there [before you hit her]:

Meanwhile the solution out of Memphis by Ann Peebles at Hi Records is to wreck the joint:

sign of the times:

full page ad from the Baja Marimba Band promoting their release of THE THEME FROM DEEP THROAT.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-05-2023 at 11:36 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #14

April 7, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 128
    last week: 152

including:

SOUL PICK:
    The Supremes - BAD WEATHER [2:59] Producer: Stevie Wonder. Writer: Stevie Wonder: This is Stevie Wonders first time producing the trio and his touch is immediately felt . There are horns with a Memphis flavor and a funky guitar that is a bit laid back supporting the "Supreme" lead voice of Jean Terrell.

#2!! Gladys Knight and the Pips are enjoying one of their hottest records of their Motown tenure with NEITHER ONE OF US which now ties their second spot ranking with I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE six years ago. The Temptations are closing in on the Top Ten while Stevie Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE makes a more modest advancement this week of four places, keeping him below the Top 20, but with a bullet, and The J5 are just shy of entering the Top 40.
    With Jermaine Jackson sticking around for yet another week, that gives Motown four titles again in the Top 40 with another likely on the way. None drop off, none debut, five songs from the label charting the top half of the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Vicki Laurence's first outing with a single, and THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA shines bright this week at the very top with a ten point power surge from #10.
    #2 this week for Gladys Knight pushing NEITHER ONE OF US up one place, while Roberta Flack is now #3 after five weeks of killing us softly with her song at #1. Usual two in [both strong movers], and two out: Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON 'ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE up from #13 to #6 and War's THE CISCO KID in at #10 from #21. Exiting with their highest career charter [#1], The O'Jays and LOVE TRAIN depart from #4 to #12 and Edward Bear's LAST SONG dips to #13 from #7.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips advances to #2 from #3 .
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations continues to bullet upward to #14 from #18.
    ^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder to #25 from #29.
    DADDY'S HOME
    - Jermaine Jackson, its' 18th week on the Hot 100, now dropping after a #8 peak, to #33 from #28.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 7 positions
    LITTLE WILLIE - The Sweet - #25 from #32.

Debuts:
    Just four new ones, 3 US, 1 UK, , 0+Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    ONE MAN BAND [PLAYS ALL ALONE] - Ronnie Dyson #37 up 7 from #44 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

BITTER BAD - Melanie #38 up 3 from #41 [ 6th and final Top 40 hit]
    REELING IN THE YEARS - Steely Dan #39 up 10 from #49 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    OUT OF THE QUESTION
    - Gilbert O'Sullivan #40 up 6 from #46 [3rd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Nine arrivals: 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #77 - DANIEL - Elton John

#81 - DRINKING WINE SPO-DEE O'DEE - Jerry Lee Lewis
    #85 - IT SURE TOOK A LONG LONG TIME - Lobo
    #87 - LEAVING ME - Independents
    #93 - ALWAYS - Luther Ingram
    #95 - PEOPLE ARE CHANGING - Timmy Thomas
    #97 - AM I BLACK ENOUGH FOR YOU - Billy Paul
    #99 - ONLY LOVE - Billy Quateman
    #100 - WHY ME - Kris Kristofferson

Motown:
    no debuts:
    4th week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five #43 up 9 from #52
    offs:
    none

A very good week for:
    Wordy titles
    The top six:
    1] - THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA
    - Vicki Lawrence
    2] - NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    3] - KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG - Roberta Flack
    4] - AIN'T NO WOMAN [LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT] - The Four Tops
    5] - BREAK UP TO MAKE UP - Stylistics
    6] - TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE
    - Dawn

as well as an up and comer from Motown:
    YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder

Diana Ross remains missing from the countdown after last week's departure of the modest Top 40 run of GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE, but no matter, this week her double album the song is from, LADY SINGS THE BLUES, is #1 on Billboard's Top 200 LPs taking twenty weeks to get there.
    Interestingly :
    LADY SINGS THE BLUES ST replaces the DELIVERANCE ST at #1, a record that's exposing a larger pop audience to the music genre called bluegrass that's now replaced at the top by an album that is exposing a larger pop audience to the music style of jazz/blues. LADY SINGS THE BLUES is a collection of vocal tunes of the legendary Billie Holiday. while DELIVERANCE is comprised of traditional instrumental compositions. Like the titled song for LADY SINGS THE BLUES , DUELING BANJOS is not original, written and recorded in 1954 by Don Reno and reemerging later on an Andy Griffith show episode in 1963:

The tune was stolen and used unaccredited for the movie and lawsuits resulted with a judgement that remedied the oversight.
    As is the case in the Mayberry clip, what's heard in DUELING BANJOS are actually not two banjos but just one and a guitar.

The original uses two FUEDIN' BANJOS, as it was then titled :

The other big movie oriented song on the Top 40 is Deodato's ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA [2001] this week its #29 after peaking at #2 [#2 Canada, #1 EZ Listening, #5 Country] Although based on the Theme from 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY film from 1968, the song is properly credited to its composer Richard Strauss from 1896 and no lawsuits are involved.
    more on it next week.

This week in Billboard:

*On the cover , a square box ad for newcomer and "former church choir member" Barry White.
    *The banner ad across the bottom of the cover reminds readers to tune in this week to the Elvis Aloha From Hawaii special.
    *A full-page ad from Columbia records which reads, "Millions of people were thrilled to see the wonderful talents of Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey rewarded with Oscars"
    *And adding to the current total of young teen performers:
    a full-page ad reading, "APRIL LOVE by eleven-year old Ricky Wilde. The time is right." On UK Records.

*Oh oh.
    Julian Coleman's Soul Sauce column picks as its record of the week: BAD WEATHER by The Supremes.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-12-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Chart #15

April 14, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 142 !
    last week: 128

including :

POP PICK:
    THELMA HOUSTON - PIANO MAN [3:30] producer: Michael Masser, writers: Masser, KL Dunham, Mowest 5050 Excellent rouser by dynamic and long underrated soul powerhouse. Hypnotically catchy, a real pop sleeper.

SOUL PICK:

THE SPINNERS - TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC
    -[3:04]producer: Clay McMurray writers: R Drapkin, M. Coleman , Motown 1235 Motown went to the storehouse and pulled out a hot one by this hot act. What took them so long? Groups beautiful voices blend superbly with accompanying strings.

Soul also recommended:
    EDWIN STARR - There You Go [3:02] producer: Edwin Starr, writer Edwin Starr, producer Edwin Starr Soul 35103:

Motown has the Top 40's highest debuting single this week with the latest from the Jackson Five . Gladys Knight is just shy of the #1 spot with NEITHER ONE OF US holding steady again at #2. There are four singles from the label on the Hot 100 and all of them are moving upward within the Top 40. One single drops off the chart and none debut.
    The label also has two of the nation's Top10 LPs, one at #1.

The Top 10:

A tight chart, THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA by Vicki Lawrence maintains the #1 ranking for its second week, with Motown pushing hard with NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] by Gladys Knight & The Pips right below it for week 2. War's CISCO KID has the most momentum, from #10 to #6. Just one single breaks into this week's Top 10, Al Green's CALL ME [COME BACK HOME] nudges in at #10 from #11.

The Top 40:

Motown:

NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips hold fast at #2 .
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations continues to bullet upward to #11 from #14.
    ^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder a surge to #17 from #25.
    off:
    ^ HALLELUJAH DAY
    - Jackson Five debut at #38
    off:
    DADDY'S HOME
    - Jermaine Jackson, after a #8 peak, off from #33.
    A strong chart run of 18 weeks for the cover of the Lime Lites biggest hit [#2 1961] peaking at #3 [#3 Soul , #3 Canada] updated by Jermaine Jackson. Covers are proving lucrative fro the Jackson family's hit list. The success of DADDY'S HOME bodes well for the now strictly solo artist [with the J5 heard on this one], although Jermaine will not reappear on the Top 40 until 1979.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 10 places:
    {tie}
    REELING IN THE YEARS - Steely Dan #29 from #39
    OUT OF THE QUESTION - Gilbert O'Sullivan #30 from #40

Debuts:
    Five new ones, 4 US, all soul, 1 UK , 0+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five #34 up 9 from #43 [13th Top 40 hit]
    PINBALL WIZARD/SEE ME FEEL ME - New Seekers #37 up 8 from #45 [3rd and final Top 40 hit]
    STEP BY STEP - Joe Simon #38 up 4 from #42 [5th Top 40 hit]
    FUNKY WORM - Ohio Players #39up 8 from #47 [*First Time Artist]

The Hot 100:

Thirteen arrivals: 7 Top 40 bound, 4 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #73 - MY LOVE - Paul McCartney & Wings

#76 - SUPERFLY MEETS SHAFT - John and Ernest
    #80 - STEAMROLLER BLUES/FOOL -Elvis Presley
    #82 - RIGHT PLACE, WRONG TIME - Dr. John
    #84 - CLOSE YOUR EYES - Edward Bear
    #85 - NO MORE MR. NICE GUY - Alice Cooper
    #87 - EVERYTHING'S BEEN CHANGED - 5th Dimension
    #88 - AND I LOVE YOU SO - Perry Como
    #90 - I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY - Barry White
    #93 - I'VE BEEN WATCHING YOU - Southside Movement
    #95 - A FOOL LIKE YOU - Tim Moore
    #97 - FENCEWALK - Mandrill
    #98 - MR. MAGIC MAN - Wilson Pickett
    #100 - FRIEND AND A LOVER - Partridge Family

Motown:
    no debuts:
    5th week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five #34 up 9 from #43 , enters Top 40
    offs:
    none

a very good week for:
    David Bowie
    Diligence has paid off. Bowie has been releasing singles since 1964, but only now has he broke into the American Top 40, with SPACE ODDITY a song that was already #5 in the UK back in 1969. It peaked last week at #15 and this week slips to #16.

As if that isn't enough, Bowie's venture into [co-] producing is paying off. Lou Reed, of NYC's Velvet Underground fame, has written a title song for an upcoming but never-to-be play called WALK ON THE WILD SIDE. The record is now at #24 and like Bowie's hit, will reach the mid-teens [#16]. Reed will become the ultimate One Hit Wonder, as WALK ON THE WILD SIDE is not only Reed's one time onto the Top 40, but the Hot 100.

also a very good week for:
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Bowie's SPACE ODDITY title is playing off the movie's title out that same year it was written, while Deodato's adaptation of the Strauss composition heard in that same movie is now dropping out of the Top 10 after just missing #1.

SPACE ODDITY was originally rushed to capitalize on the Apollo 11 moon landing:

Considered a cash-in novelty song in its 1969 version, it nonetheless launched Bowie's stalled career and by 1973 the record had been reworked extensively into something longer and with more depth.

Elvis Presley was ahead of the curve on this one. He has been using ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA as his stage intro number since 1971. Now in a timely way that music begins his two record set ALOHA FROM HAWAII VIA SATELLITE, which this week enters Billboard's Top 10 LPS [at #10] [as does The Temptation's MASTERPIECE at #9].

The TV special of the January concert in Honolulu aired last week on NBC and will be the network's #1 airing of the year.

Incredibly, Billboard reports this week that ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA in spite of the song's German heritage, will not get a European pressing, the Strauss family does not find Deodato's version suitable to their standards.

Diana Ross' LADY SINGS THE BLUES repeats at #1 on this week's TOP 200 ALBUMS chart.

Motown powerhouses have still got it:

The Top 3 singles on the Soul Chart this week:

1] - MASTERPIECE - Temptations
    2] - NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    3] - AIN'T NO WOMAN [LIKE THE ONE I'VE GOT] - Four Tops

Of note:
    US invasion of the UK chart by teen acts. At #2 down from #1 Donny Osmond and TWELFTH OF NEVER. At #6 up from #30 is little brother Jimmy Osmond with TWEEDLE DEE, while David Cassidy solos with I'M A CLOWN at #5. Absent from the wave, any faction of the Jackson family, with no presence on the chart.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-26-2023 at 12:53 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #16

April 21, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week:
    last week: 142
    including :

Pop Picks:
    MICHAEL JACKSON - WITH A CHILD'S HEART [3:00] producers: Freddie Perren, Fonce Mizell; writers: S. Moy, H.Cosby, V. Basemore: Motown 1218. Michael attacks a lush ballad with a rich, high voice that carries beat and intensity while soaring in an open beauty quite new to this artist.

GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS -DADDY COULD SWEAR I DECLARE [3:42] producer: Johnny Bristol; writers: J. Bristol, M. Knight, G.Knight. Soul 3510SF this a hand-clapping soul and funk both vocally and instrumentally,with Gladys' distinct voice standing out. The side is characterized by good, solid beats

A week of caliber from Motown, all their charters are in the Top 40, the ones moving up are with bullets. Two of the company's 45s are in the Top 10, The Temptations MASTERPIECE moves in, while Gladys Knight loses her perch from #2 with NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE. In Record World and Cashbox, this is a#1 song.
    Two lurkers in the Bubbling Under category: BAD WEATHER by The Supremes is #106 and MA by Rare Earth is #108.
    Nothing disappears and with nothing new, Motown has four continuing titles on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

The lights are out for Vicki Lawrence after a reign of two weeks at #1, as Dawn breaks for TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE, up from #3. It also becomes the #1 song on the Easy Listening chart.
    A total Top Ten ranking shake up, along with three debuts. The Sweet enter the Top Ten for the first time with the glitter rock tune LITTLE WILLY in at #7 from #12. The Temptations return to the Top 10 for the fourteenth time at #8 from #11 with MASTERPIECE and at #10 THE TWELFTH OF NEVER from #15 by Donnie Osmond. Out: KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG by Roberta Flack to #14 from #9, MAKE UP TO BREAK UP by The Stylistics to #16 from #8 and CALL ME [COME BACK HOME] by Al Green down to #18 from its #10 peak.

The Top 40:

Motown:

NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips drops to #6 to #2 .
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations continues to bullet upward into the Top 10 to #8 from #11.
    ^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder takes that #11 spot vacated by The Temptations, from #17.
    ^ HALLELUJAH DAY
    - Jackson Five up to #31 from #34

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 13 places:
    FUNKY WORM - Ohio Players #26 from #39

Debuts:
    Six entries, 4 US, 1 UK, 1 Dutch. 4 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    +FRANKENSTEIN+ - Edgar Winter Group #25 up 16 from #41 [*First time artist]

+PILLOW TALK+ - Sylvia #30 up 24 from #54 [One Hit Wonder]
    +DANIEL+ - Elton John #35 up 11 from #46 [7th Top 40 hit]
    CHERRY CHERRY [FROM HOT AUGUST NIGHT] - Neil Diamond #36 up 6 from #42 [21st Top 40 hit]
    THE RIGHT THING TO DO - Carly Simon #38 up 4 from #42 [4th Top 40 hit]
    +HOCUS POCUS+ - Focus #39 up 6 from #45 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Ten newbies: 4 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #84 -LONG TRAIN RUNNING - Doobie Bros.

#85 - BAD BAD LEROY BROWN - Jim Croce
    #87 -WOMAN FROM TOKYO - Deep Purple
    #90 - WITHOUT YOU IN MY LIFE - Tyrone Davis
    #92 - NATURAL HIGH - Bloodstone
    #94 - ITS HARD TO STOP... - Betty Wright
    #96 - GIVE YOUR BABY A STANDING OVATION - Dells
    #97 - I'M A STRANGER HERE - 5 Man Electrical Band
    #98 - COSMIC SEA - Mystic Mood
    #100 - FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST - Keith Hampshire

Motown:
    debuts:
    none

*no singles charting below the Top 40.*

offs:
    none

A very good week for:
    Bell Records

While the label falls out of the #1 spot with Vickie Lawrence's THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA - no matter, they replace her top placing single with another of their own, Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE.

Add to that, LITTLE WILLIE by The Sweet enters the Top 10, giving the label three records in the Top 10. The Sweet are a London based glam group and LITTLE WILLIE peaked there at #4 last year. The single didn't get any action when released in the US in September 1972, but this reissue has resulted in a hit.

Mystic Moods Orchestra has been around since 1968, the results of one man's, [ Brad Miller] interest since the late fifties in recording sounds, especially trains, and making them available on vinyl. The various environmental sounds eventually evolved into being incorporated with lush orchestration and experimental recording effects, and were increasingly marketed as sensual ambiance music.

This week from their 15th album AWAKENING, debuting on the Hot 100 at #98, is COSMIC SEA, a funky instrumental groove:

The sound is hard to exactly categorize, but the route for this single seems to be the Easy Listening chart where it debuts at #37.

Eumir Deodato's PRELUDE album on CTI [Creed Taylor Incorporated] Records and distributed by Motown, remains #1 on the Billboard Jazz LP charts, although the star track, ALSO SPRACH ZARTHUSTRA, is this week spending its last scoring on the Top 40/Hot 100 at #23 after peaking at #2 [#3 Canada, #7 UK].
    The nine minute version from the label's best selling album of CTI's 17 year catalogue:

As a charting artist, Eumir Deodato will be a One Hit Wonder. But his musical activities will be extensive, including taking Kool and the Gang to their career peak when producing their albums containing the disco hits LADIES NIGHT, CELEBRATE, and TOO HOT.
    His granddaughter is married to Justin Bieber.

Motown in Billboard:
    a full-page ad for Willie Hutch's soundtrack album for the movie THE MACK.
    a two-page ad for the variety of albums currently available on Motown
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-30-2023 at 12:53 PM.

Chart #17

April 28, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 119
    last week: 134
    including :

also recommended:
    R. DEAN TAYLOR -Shadow [2:50]; producer: R. Dean Taylor: writer: R. Dean Taylor Rare Earth 5041

Motown not wasting any time in maintaining the momentum of their departing Gladys Knight and the Pips, releasing their new single that charts this week while NEITHER ONE OF US slowly descends.
    Two of the label's acts are again in the Top Ten, joining The Temptations there is Stevie Wonder - as Gladys Knight drops out. Also, YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE is #1 on the Easy Listening chart.
    Now with two records by Gladys Knight and the Pips on the Hot 100, and none dropping off, Motown is charting with five records.

The Top Ten
    :

Week two at #1 for Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE with War's CISCO KID pressing hard at #2 from #4. Two new records enter with Stevie Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE entering strong at #6 from #11. Scottish band Stealer's Wheel has their first and only Top 10 hit with STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU in at #9 from #13. The group's line up can't stick and the short-lived band will dissolve in a couple of years. By the time this 1972 recorded hit has hit, Gerry Rafferty has already left.
    She didn't want to say goodbye, but Gladys Knight drops out of the Top Ten this week, just missing #1 peaking at #2. Now NEITHER ONE OF US is at #12 from #6. Canadian Ann Murray's version of the Kenny Loggins song, DANNY'S SONG, plunges to #18 from #9. It peaked at #7, while also reaching #10 on the Country chart and spending two weeks #1 on the Easy Listening listing.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder leapfrogs the Temptations to the #6 spot from #11.
    ^MASTERPIECE - Temptations continue upward to #7 from #8.
    NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips drops from #6 to #12
    ^ HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five up to #28 from #31

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 12 places:
    HOCUS POCUS - Focus at #27 from #39

Five entries, 4 US, 1 UK, 1+Top 10 bound+, 2 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    THINKING OF YOU - Loggins & Messina - #32 up 10 from #42 [2nd Top 40 hit]

+MY LOVE+ - Paul McCartney & Wings #36 up 26 from #62 [6th Top 40 hit]
    ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS - First Choice #37 up 6 from #43 [One Hit Wonder]
    I'M DOING FINE NOW - New York City #38 up 3 from #41 [One Hit Wonder]
    LEAVING ME - Independents -#40 up 5 from #45 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Ten newbies: 4 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #71 - ONE OF A KIND [LOVE AFFAIR] - Spinners

#74 - YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT - Rolling Stones
    #78 - DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    #81 - ONLY IN YOUR HEART - America
    #83 - ISN'T IT ABOUT TIME - Stephen Stills and Manassas
    #86 - I LIKE YOU - Donovan
    #90 - ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN -Electric Light Orchestra
    #94 - AVENGING ANNIE - Andy Pratt
    #96 - WHAT A SHAME - Foghat
    #97 - BEHIND CLOSED DOORS - Charlie Rich
    #98 - LET ME DOWN EASY - Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose
    #99 - MUSIC EVERYWHERE - Tufano & Giammaresse
    #100 - FREE ELECTRIC BAND - Albert Hammond

Motown:
    debuts:
    one
    1st week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #78 - DEBUT

offs:
    none

Another very good week for:
    Bell Records.
    Last week they had three records in the Top 10, this week they have three records in the Top 5.
    Also doing well in the Top Ten: A&M Records with two titles: SING by The Carpenters and Stealer Wheel's STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU and Motown Records also with two: Stevie Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE and The Temptation's MASTERPIECE

Philly styled yet-to-be-called disco finds its way into the Top 40 this week.

Despite the group's name of New York City, I'M DOING FINE NOW is decidedly Philly sounding along the lines of The Spinners, Thom Bell producing both. I'M DOING FINE NOW will find its biggest success on the Easy Listening chart. The group will tour during their two album duration backed by the group The Big Apple Band, who will evolve into Chic.

First Choice started as teen friends singing and performing after school in Philadelphia. They will find their 70s success mostly on the disco chart.

Both records will have some mid-chart success in the UK this summer.
    Both records offer each vocal group their one time visit to the Top 40.

ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 2001
    has now gotten licensing permission for European pressings
    "...Originally a ban on the single - a jazz version of the theme - had been placed in Europe by the heirs of the Strauss estate[April 14th] ...during the ban on the single, several European licensees had started to formulate plans to cover the title "toning it down". Now all European licensees had been cleared for European production of the US hit
    No matter. The record will not catch on there except in the UK where it will peak at #7.

Noteworthy:
    ~ first time to chart: Electric Light Orchestra
    ~ #1 LP: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON Pink Floyd, in its' 7th week charting.

FRANKFURT:
    Diana Ross will come to Frankfurt for the opening of the film 'Lady Sings The Blues."

Full-page ad for The Four Tops 2-record set of their greatest hits. Ad reads: "The Tops' top"

Full-page ad for The Miracles new album mentioning [in smaller print] the addition of William Griffin. The push reads:
    "The New Miracles Album With The New Miracle Ingredient"

Full-page ad heralding a greatest hits package of the Spinners. "The Spinners Make Only One Kind Of Music. The Best."

Ironic that each of these ads that highlight the label's disintegrating line-ups closes with the tag,

"Listen to what's happening at Motown. You'll hear the times change."
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-03-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

After a seven week attempt at becoming a hit, Johnny Williams' SLOW MOTION Part I falls off after peaking at #78. Johnny has released various singles on various labels since 1964. Now he's taking a shot at recording at Philadelphia International:

SLOW MOTION
    is a curious release ..... Although the "A" side is listed as a Part 1, the "B" side is an entirely different song. Part 2, if there is one, gets set aside. Williams will do another single for PI, then release a couple more on a couple of other labels until 1978 and that's it. No LPs along the way and no Part II.
    It really makes you wonder. There are some artists who work very hard, release a lot of records but never seem to get to that next level of mass acceptance. This is a great record and for my money, it deserved to be a much better hit.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 05-04-2023 at 11:53 PM.