[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes' "Sophisticated Soul" Guess What I Saw Today????

I was antiquing today and I saw this square box with the Sophisticated Soul cover on it and I said to myself "What the heck is this?"

Turns out it was a reel-to-reel version of that album. I had never seen one before for any Motown item that I am aware of. Also there was a reel-to-reel version of the 16 Original Big Hits Volume 5.

I of course did not buy either one because I would have nothing to play them on, but would these be of interest to anyone this late in the game and would anyone have anything to play them on?

How common was it for Motown to release their albums in this format? So that now means [[I assume) that SS was eventually released in 5 different formats.......vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD and now reel to reel.

I think in the mid to late 60s that reel-to-reel was considered the best audio format. I remember seeing all the renditions and drawings of "Bachelor Pad" apartments in magazines like Playboy, or in ads, and every apartment would have a reel-to-reel instead of just a turntable. My Dad had one and it was his pride and joy. I imagine the sound on those was very, very good.

I'd love to have a reel-to-reel of "Sophisticated Soul" if there was one available. I think it's a really cool collectable. Of course, I'd have nothing to play it on, but hey!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I was antiquing today and I saw this square box with the Sophisticated Soul cover on it and I said to myself "What the heck is this?"

Turns out it was a reel-to-reel version of that album. I had never seen one before for any Motown item that I am aware of. Also there was a reel-to-reel version of the 16 Original Big Hits Volume 5.

I of course did not buy either one because I would have nothing to play them on, but would these be of interest to anyone this late in the game and would anyone have anything to play them on?

How common was it for Motown to release their albums in this format? So that now means [[I assume) that SS was eventually released in 5 different formats.......vinyl, 8 track, cassette, CD and now reel to reel.
    I would probably buy it if only to have it. I had a reel-to-reel but it needed work. A friend of mine who is even more obsessive about all things audio took it off my hands with the intention of restoring it. Still, I'd love to have it even to just display on my shelf. It's the Marvelettes!

Motown was releasing open reel copies of its albums by 1965. Supremes sing CW &P was the first issue I noticed on my weekly treks to E.J. Korvettes while in high school. The open reel albums also were sold through mail order from the Columbia Record Club. By the time I could afford a reel to reel deck after college, Dolby cassettes were the rage with "superior" sound quality and portability. The deck has been in the closet for the last 30 years.
    Last edited by nabob; 01-06-2023 at 02:30 AM.

I have a decently large collection considering of Motown reel to reels, over 35 different titles and yes, I have a reel to reel player to listen to them. They are very collectible, just take a look on Ebay at completed sales and you will see they average from a low price of around $20-$25 for the common reels, all the way up to hundreds of dollars. The Supremes seem to be the most plentiful artist titles available for obvious reasons. Marvin's "What's Going On" generally sells in the $350-$400 range if in nice condition. Reels have great sound as they are transferred right off the master tapes, so I personally consider them as close to owning a master tape as the public will ever be able buy and to listen to in their home.

Ampex was the biggest producer of reels in the 60s/70s. I would absolutely love to know just how many Motown albums were released in reel format, but I've not found a comprehensive list anywhere. Ampex did produce tape catalogs that you could send in 50 cents and have one sent, but I've only seen a couple of these offered on Ebay and to be honest, I wasn't paying the asking price just to see what was listed. There seems to be a pretty strong market for reels and the players. They were expensive in their day, and from what I gather this limited their popularity and the medium phased out rather quickly. But I can tell you, there's nothing like putting on a set of headphones, playing a reel and immersing yourself in the music. If the reel is not compromised due to improper storage or damage, it's like you're sitting in Studio A as the music was being piped into the recording equipment.
    Darin

Apparently only the big lp sellers, or the ones Motown thought would be big, were issued on reel. I had Barbara McNair's first lp on reel and it even had a different cover than the lp. I do have a reel player and it is hard to find a reel tape in good enough condition to purchase. I transferred the McNair reel to CD for posterity. Many of us still feel that reel tapes are of superior quality.

I do know that up until Diana Ross's 1978 "Ross" lp was issued for download, the reel tape of that lp, which is extremely hard to find and pricey, was in demand by collectors.

@DWSheffer,

If you ever have the chance, perhaps you could take images of some of your collection, especially those which have alternate covers. What a fun collection to have. I have so much in my collection that I'm trying not to buy things which I know will just sit on a shelf, but I'd make exceptions for some of my favorite Motown titles in reel-to-reel format.

My dad considered himself a true audiophile. His reel-to-reel was a nice one. Of course it's long gone, unfortunately. He even had a Stereo that he built himself, of which he was very proud, a Heath Kit. Remember those?

K

Kenneth, the Barbara McNair reel is the only one that comes to mind that has an "alternate" cover. Most all reels have the same cover art as the LP release. I will take a look and see if any others that I have are different but nothing comes to mind right off. It's funny I bought ONE reel years ago for "Reflections" and at that time I had nothing to play it on. I just liked the look of the format and wanted an example of one in my collection. Fast forward to two years ago when I acquired the Maurice King tapes and didn't have anything to play them on. A friend loaned me his player and I've been hooked on them since. [[I have 3 players now!) I like the process of playing them, feeding the tape and how the machines operate. Some people would complain it's a pain in the ass, but I think it's cool as heck! :P
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 01-06-2023 at 02:58 PM.

I found this pic of the McNair reel to reel cover on the net. One recently sold on Ebay but I can't find the listing.

Name:  McNair Reel.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  45.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Kenneth, the Barbara McNair reel is the only one that comes to mind that has an "alternate" cover. Most all reels have the same cover art as the LP release. I will take a look and see if any others that I have are different but nothing comes to mind right off. It's funny I bought ONE reel years ago for "Reflections" and at that time I had nothing to play it on. I just liked the look of the format and want an example of one in my collection. Fast forward to two years ago when I acquired the Maurice King tapes and didn't have anything to play them on. A friend loaned me his player and I've been hooked on them since. [[I have 3 players now!) I like the process of playing them, feeding the tape and how the machines operate. Some people would complain it's a pain in the ass, but I think it's cool as heck! :P
    How were the Maurice King tapes? If I recall correctly, didn't you say that one of the tapes was of Brenda Holloway?

@DWSheffer,

Wow, thanks for posting that! Great to see. She was such a lovely woman. I always wonder how such decisions get made, such as choosing the different cover. It's quite similar of a pose and mood as the original cover, though I don't remember what she's wearing on the LP cover, or perhaps it's too dark to tell, so not sure if it's from the same photo session or not. Interesting though.

You know, what you say about the process of loading the reel and the tape into the feed [[or whatever you call it) reminds me of an interview I read of, I think, Jack White of the White Stripes. I think it was him who said he liked records because it forced the listener to be more involved with the music because of having to take out the record, find the correct side, and obviously not the kind of listening experience where it just plays continuously throughout the day like if you had Muzak piped into your home. I had never thought of that before, but I found it interesting. I think it was Jack White because I think it was when they put out a vinyl issue of one of their LPs with lots of "bells and whistles," like an etching on one side, maybe a track that played backwards, or other surprises like that. Of course I bought it!

When I used to go to rave or techno parties in the late 80s/early 90s in Detroit, there was one local record label that produced a lot of 12" singles which had similar gimmicks. I think several of the Detroit "hometown heroes" recorded for that label, like Kenny Larkin, if I'm remembering his name correctly. There was one record that played from the inside of the record to the outside, one that I think had 2 spindle holes and would play a different song based on which way you loaded the record, and other fun things like that. I forget the name of the label but I saved all those 12" singles even though I eventually dumped most of my techno collection. [[That music just does not age well at all!) Fun to collect that kind of stuff.

Thanks again!

K
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-06-2023 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @DWSheffer,

Wow, thanks for posting that! Great to see. She was such a lovely woman. I always wonder how such decisions get made, such as choosing the different cover. It's quite similar of a pose and mood as the original cover, though I don't remember what she's wearing on the LP cover, or perhaps it's too dark to tell, so not sure if it's from the same photo session or not. Interesting though.

You know, what you say about the process of loading the reel and the tape into the feed [[or whatever you call it) reminds me of an interview I read of, I think, Jack White of the White Stripes. I think it was him who said he liked records because it forced the listener to be more involved with the music because of having to take out the record, find the correct side, and obviously not the kind of listening experience where it just plays continuously throughout the day like if you had Muzak piped into your home. I had never thought of that before, but I found it interesting. I think it was Jack White because I think it was when they put out a vinyl issue of one of their LPs with lots of "bells and whistles," like an etching on one side, maybe a track that played backwards, or other surprises like that. Of course I bought it!

When I used to go to rave or techno parties in the late 80s/early 90s in Detroit, there was one local record label that produced a lot of 12" singles which had similar gimmicks. I think several of the Detroit "hometown heroes" recorded for that label, like Kenny Larkin, if I'm remembering his name correctly. There was one record that played from the inside of the record to the outside, one that I think had 2 spindle holes and would play a different song based on which way you loaded the record, and other fun things like that. I forget the name of the label but I saved all those 12" singles even though I eventually dumped most of my techno collection. [[That music just does not age well at all!) Fun to collect that kind of stuff.

Thanks again!

K
    I LIKE the idea of those extras and gimmicks with the vinyl. And I can very well see Jack White doing such things with his releases.

Here's an interesting page. A pretty neat overview of Motown reel-to-reel releases amongst other non-Motown releases and items.

https://picclick.com/Popular/motown-reel-to-reel

Wow, reel to reel sounds [real] cool, i just perchased the marvelettes lp on vinyl of course, marvelettes forever!

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    How were the Maurice King tapes? If I recall correctly, didn't you say that one of the tapes was of Brenda Holloway?
    The King tapes are a real treasure SatansBlues, I need to get off my rear and get them digitized so I can attempt to share them with everyone. Yes, there is a Holloway tape but I cannot recall what was on it as I only listened to them once for preservation's sake. I don't know if I relayed to the forum that in May of last year the seller found another large box of papers as well as a box of Maurice's flashy shirts. There was one more reel found which ended up being a rehearsal with Gladys Knight and the Pips. I was a bit disappointed there were no Supremes tapes, as one of the boxes did have their name on it with a list of what it contained, but that tape was not in the group unfortunately. The other possibility is Maurice simply taped over it......sigh.....
    Darin

@DWSheffer,

What are the Maurice King tapes? I haven't heard of these before. He was a band leader, wasn't he?

K

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @DWSheffer,

What are the Maurice King tapes? I haven't heard of these before. He was a band leader, wasn't he?

K
    Here is the thread created when I first acquired the archive Kenneth.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...e+king+archive

I forgot to mention that one of Maurice's grandchildren had contacted me through the forum months ago inquiring about getting some of it back. I replied to them that there was a group of items I wanted the family to have that were personal and should be with the family. They never replied back to my lengthy email, so not sure what happened there!

I forgot to mention that one of Maurice's grandchildren had contacted me through the forum months ago inquiring about getting some of it back. I replied to them that there was a group of items I wanted the family to have that were personal and should be with the family. They never replied back to my lengthy email, so not sure what happened there!
    I had a similar experience with Jan Gaye. I had a rare photo of Marvin Gaye that I had gotten on ebay back when there was a TON of stuff. I made a copy of the photo for myself and put the original up for auction. Jan was the high bidder. When I saw the name I sent an email that it didn't feel right that she of all people should have to pay for a photo of Marvin and that I would just cancel the sale and send it to her. I never got a response one way or the other. And I sent another message but still never heard back from her. I am have no idea what that was about.

Here is the thread created when I first acquired the archive Kenneth.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...e+king+archive
    I do remember that now. I even commented on your find at the time. Thanks for bumping it up again. It's a fascinating story. You simply must digitize those tapes!