[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Folks are always saying The Supremes never receive the respect they deserve for what they achieved not only in music history but breaking down barriers etc etc...THIS is the resaon why ....if the person that created this history cant be arsed to acknowledge it herself why should everyone else bother...I have been a Diana fan from the age of 12 and thats a lot of years but this has really pissed me off..its not only a slap in the face for The Supremes legacy but also for the fans.
    THIS!!!! Absolutely great point!!

some are really in full drama queen mood here ! What is disappointing is that the Supremes had to wait 70 years to be honoured.

I will not be spending another penny on her EVER.
    Whoa! I'm pissed, but not that pissed. Lol It does rate a mention that with all the money I've spent on Supremes releases over the years, whose royalties went into Diana's account, to think that she knows what we want and says "who cares" but gladly accepts the royalty checks- how big or small- that we contribute to, really is a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    some are really in full drama queen mood here ! What is disappointing is that the Supremes had to wait 70 years to be honoured.
    Yeah, and the last one living couldn't give a spit. I'd say that's even worst than being overlooked for 60 some years.

I knew someone would come in with a "drama queen" comment, because why add a constructive viewpoint, even if opposing, when an insult will do?

When Diana is honoured as a"SOLO" artist the whole world and its mother turns up to support her yet when its one of her so called Motown family its a very very rare occasion that she will be there supporting them...like I said before I have been a lifelong fan of hers I have every single release from "I Want A Guy" to the latest ....every album and every CD...ive paid to see her numerous times so I guess that makes me a dedicated fan and im getting to the point where I just cant be bothered with her anymore...The Supremes made us all fall in love with her in the first place and she would be nowhere without them..dissing her roots and just accepting all the solo accolades and awards is just downright selfish...I will not be spending another penny on her EVER.
    I feel this too. Last night, I was ready to put my entire collection on eBay lol. I'm not entirely serious about selling off everything, but I really do feel let down and done with her. The last time I felt this disappointed was when she got her DUI. It's hard to rationalize continuing looking up to someone, when she can't be bothered to put even a fraction of attention on a legacy that we've all spent years putting our own attention to. She herself has said that she's always felt a sense of responsibility, when it comes to her fans and being a role model. How does ignoring such a huge honour and ignoring such a huge part of her career fit into that? It is indeed selfish. Her silence does make her seem indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, and the last one living couldn't give a spit. I'd say that's even worst than being overlooked for 60 some years.

I knew someone would come in with a "drama queen" comment, because why add a constructive viewpoint, even if opposing, when an insult will do?
    I will say, for the first time in DECADES, lol, I think Diana's fans and Mary's fans are agreeing on this one. I've tried to twist it and turn it and think of an excuse or a pass, and I've got nothing.

I assume had Diana been taken ill at the last minute an announcement would have been made. I so hope she had a valid reason as to simply not bother is unforgivable, and an insult not only to fans, but everything the group stood for.
    If she truly felt unable to attend, a family member could easily have acted as her representative. As it stands, it apparently wasn’t even worth that. To suggest she didn’t want to outshine Turkessa or Lisa is quite frankly laughable.
    I can’t help thinking that if a large amount of appearance money were to be paid she would have somehow found a way.
    Until I hear evidence to the contrary, it appears to M’s Ross that everything was, is and always be all about her. Bitterly disappointed to say the least.

I agree that Ross should have been there. Good PR if nothing else. I think Supreme fans would have liked to see her acknowledge her history. It's something to be proud of

To everyone that is mad and upset and want to get rid of everything they own about Diana Ross please send to me and do not throw away. Thanks :-)

Well there's still the main awards show this evening and frankly the Supremes deserve to be recognized on the main show. I'm not optimistic that this will happen and Diana Ross will be there to accept, but there's still a chance.

Well, if she’s there, she better be on a goddamned scooter or something. If she shows up on that red carpet twirling like Mahogany tonight, I will be HEATED.

Maybe she is the surprise female quest singer and yes she needs to Except the lifetime achievement award for the Supremes she was The Supremes it was her voice voice voice voice voice but the heard world heard

I didn't know that expressing a fan's disillusionment was a constructive view.

Did you think calling people dismissive names was ?

Or just maybe the Grammies did not invite Miss Ross one never knows

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Did you think calling people dismissive names was ?

thank you. I kind of thought the name-calling, for whatever reason, had subsided. There is no reason not to be friendly.

I am heart sick that she didn’t appear. And shocked. Something must’ve happened because transportation had been ordered for her weeks ago. The thing is, I’m afraid it’s going to be some sort of diva moment because had she been ill, I believe she would’ve sent one of her kids or, at least, a statement. Ignoring the whole thing horrifies me. I do not believe she was trying to put the spotlight on the girls, because she still could’ve sent a message like she did to Michael’s funeral. I hope one day we will learn her reasoning, and after spending hours and hours last night with Midwest Ross Fan‘s Discussing this, I just don’t believe that any of the scenarios that have been mentioned apply. Sending a statement would be a simple and effective way to acknowledge and thank those responsible. Ignoring it, I guess, is also a statement. For a while I was hoping that something would happen tonight to correct that, but since she is not attending, that’s that. I feel like I overslept and missed Christmas.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 02-05-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Im real dissapointed that Miss Ross did not attend last night but as SpreadingLove said maybe shes going today/tonight. I know Lisa Chapman is getting glammed up at her hotel for "Day 2" her words not mine so maybe theres something planned for today with Diana and Turkessa and Lisa. Thats me just guessing. To bring her 20 year old DUI into this is seems real unfair IMO given she got sober and has stayed sober. There by the grace of God go we are those we love.

Extremely disappointed.
    She ,[[Diana) was a no show for the rock n roll hall of Fame, the star on Hollywood walk of fame and yet again, we find out she was a no show for this Grammy honour.
    I agree with most of these posts especially Brads.
    One of Diana kids couldnt show up?
    What a slap in the face.
    I am disappointed.just beyond words right now

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    thank you. I kind of thought the name-calling, for whatever reason, had subsided. There is no reason not to be friendly.

I am heart sick that she didn’t appear. And shocked. Something must’ve happened because transportation had been ordered for her weeks ago. The thing is, I’m afraid it’s going to be some sort of diva moment because had she been ill, I believe she would’ve sent one of her kids or, at least, a statement. Ignoring the whole thing horrifies me. I do not believe she was trying to put the spotlight on the girls, because she still could’ve sent a message like she did to Michael’s funeral. I hope one day we will learn her reasoning, and after spending hours and hours last night with Midwest Ross Fan‘s Discussing this, I just don’t believe that any of the scenarios that have been mentioned apply. Sending a statement would be a simple and effective way to acknowledge and think those responsible. Ignoring it, I guess, is also a statement. For a while I was hoping that something would happen tonight to correct that, but since she is not attending, that’s that. I feel like I overslept and missed Christmas.
    Ok so I have had a thought for awhile that I’m hoping is way off base , but this makes me wonder even more
    About a year ago there was a link to an article here that mentioned Miss Ross having early dementia. I thought it astonishing that a writer would say such in an off -the -cuff way, but then I saw no refutations or corrections.

Then during her UK tour a couple of things . Evan had to help her to the stage for the queens jubilation appearance and she didn’t do too well. Then she didn’t incorporate her new album material into the act smoothly, as well as leaving out altogether her new and most current SUNSHINE release.
    Finally , she tried a number of times to get a grip on Rhonda’s song Rhonda was so keen on, but basically gave up.
    Now, she seems to be MIA as of late for the most part .

Of course I don’t want this to be the case, but to completely ignore this certain honor, kind of baffling, and seems like something is amiss.

Hopefully she appears tonight and bowls everyone over :
    still not the best execution of the situation imo , but with all things considered, one taken gladly .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-05-2023 at 06:21 PM.

I was going to watch to see if Diana won tonight...,suddenly I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    To bring her 20 year old DUI into this is seems real unfair IMO given she got sober and has stayed sober. There by the grace of God go we are those we love.
    You're right, Roberta. I regret saying that in my post. I have been so disappointed by her no-show and was comparing my level of disappointment to that sad time in 2002. I offer my sincere apologies for that insensitive reference.

https://www.billboard.com/music/awar...235212641/amp/

An article about the Lifetime Achievement Awards last night referencing Turkessa and Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I will say, for the first time in DECADES, lol, I think Diana's fans and Mary's fans are agreeing on this one. I've tried to twist it and turn it and think of an excuse or a pass, and I've got nothing.
    That has to be a first! I mean can anyone remember a time when those two fandoms were in agreement about anything?

Maybe Diana did this to bring the fans together.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    To everyone that is mad and upset and want to get rid of everything they own about Diana Ross please send to me and do not throw away. Thanks :-)
    Capt, let's split the haul, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Well, if she’s there, she better be on a goddamned scooter or something. If she shows up on that red carpet twirling like Mahogany tonight, I will be HEATED.
    Oh, I am so hoping she doesn't twirl on the red carpet, if only to keep your blood pressure down. If she does show up Mahogany 2023, just remember to do your breathing exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I didn't know that expressing a fan's disillusionment was a constructive view.
    You aren't disillusioned, apparently, and if you read my comment closely, you'll see that my suggestion was you adding a constructive viewpoint, not me. A couple of people have taken the time to suggest reasons why she was a no show, and to caution not jumping to conclusions. You know, constructive perspective. You didn't choose to do that. You chose to call us drama queens. I think that's an unfair depiction of what's going on in this thread. It's insulting. And I realize you couldn't care less about insulting us, but I wasn't going to let your comment stand without some rebuttal and perspective on what was wrong with what you said vs what every single other person said, regardless of which side of the issue said person is on.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    You're right, Roberta. I regret saying that in my post. I have been so disappointed by her no-show and was comparing my level of disappointment to that sad time in 2002. I offer my sincere apologies for that insensitive reference.

No worries whatsoever my dear Carlo. We are all a bit on edge after the Miss Ross no show.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    To bring her 20 year old DUI into this is seems real unfair IMO given she got sober and has stayed sober. There by the grace of God go we are those we love.
    I disagree Roberta. Carlo simply mentioned that was the last time he had been disappointed in Diana. I think that's fair for him to state. And keep in mind, Florence's substance abuse issues 60 years ago are mentioned in every other thread every other week, and Mary's rumored indulgence in cocaine back in the day is also occasionally thrown around. Diana's DUI- a thing that could have resulted in some innocent person's death- is almost never mentioned. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Oh really Carlo, I defend you and now you regret saying it?

Roberta you scared Carlo into backing down. I demand you apologize this instant!

Aaaaaand it’s Michael Bublé.

I disagree Roberta. Carlo simply mentioned that was the last time he had been disappointed in Diana. I think that's fair for him to state. And keep in mind, Florence's substance abuse issues 60 years ago are mentioned in every other thread every other week, and Mary's rumored indulgence in cocaine back in the day is also occasionally thrown around. Diana's DUI- a thing that could have resulted in some innocent person's death- is almost never mentioned. Go figure.
    We will just have to agree to disagree. Ive never brought up Miss Ballard or Miss Wilsons substance abuse issues as ive had family members struggle and loose to al;chol and drug addiction. The blessed thing is she DIDNT hurt or kill herself or even worse an innocent person but fought and licked her addiction. Nobodys house is clean when it comes to addiction.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta you scared Carlo into backing down. I demand you apologize this instant!
    Now now. Dear Carlo knows me better than that. LOL

Lol. Thank you both RanRan and Roberta for the laughs and understanding.

Sadly, I understand your feelings, Roberta. My family was also affected by the darkness of alcoholism. I'm sorry to read this is also the case for your family. I can understand why it is a triggering subject for many, despite my disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Aaaaaand it’s Michael Bublé.
    I saw this too. I would have felt disappointed for her, but in light of yesterday's no-show, I can't help but have mixed feelings on her Grammy loss.

That has to be a first! I mean can anyone remember a time when those two fandoms were in agreement about anything?

Maybe Diana did this to bring the fans together.
    Shall we all join in for a rounding chorus of "Reach Out and Touch"? Lol.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised this thread has gone so well. I don't see any of this as "bashing"; simply everyone expressing their extreme disappointment. None of this changes my overall thoughts about Diana. But it certainly puts her in a different perspective.

Turkessa kept it classy on the Mary Wilson Instagram page about last night's honor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoSqz-YvO_-/

Yup, such a sweetheart and I am sure she and Lisa have been in touch with the Ross family.

Interesting how Lisa mentioned that she didn’t really know her Mom - of course she wouldn’t but we forget things like that

Whenever I've seen an article about Diana, there is almost always a nod to the Supremes. Without the Supremes, there's no Diana Ross. I'm disappointed but can't say I'm surprised. I think for me it started with Mary's passing. I thought, for example, she'd contribute to the Anthology. Nothing. She almost has a phobia of anything Supremes related yet continues to sing those songs in her show. The songs everyone wants to hear. I get it that those years with the Supremes may not have been her happiest but at her age she needs to get over it at this point.

I've heard some songs from the Thank You album and I'm going to be blunt: it's not Grammy worthy. Not even for a nomination.

As someone who had a drinking problem back in the day, went through AA, had a close friend pass away from the addiction, your words did not offend me Carlo and didn't see anything wrong with what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I've heard some songs from the Thank You album and I'm going to be blunt: it's not Grammy worthy. Not even for a nomination.

Sorry but I have to agree.

At times in the past I've been bitter about some great songs/ albums not getting the nod but while Thank You is a solid album with some excellent tracks there's also a number of dud tracks and in purely artistic terms imo it is just shy of even attaining a nomination.

Diana deserves a Grammy but not for Thank You.

Here's my two cents. I am extremely disappointed that neither Diana nor one of her children joined Mary and Florence's daughters to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award.

I did not watch the awards last night; however, as someone else has mentioned, I will be totally pissed if Diana did show up and do her twirl on the red carpet for the main show.

Over the years, on different forums, I have always come to her defense when other 'self-proclaimed Supreme fans who hate Diana Ross' would bad mouth her or attempt to minimize her achievements. She was always my favorite since I was introduced to the Supremes in 1965...yes, I was a little late to the party.

I'm going to wait to see if she or any of her doting children come forward to explain why Diana did not participate in receiving the award. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy her music; however, I will not continue to defend or promote her. I am not going to trash my memorabilia. I do not plan to replay her interviews where speaks of being positive and grateful while her surface antics demonstrate that she really is not grateful for her tenure with the Supremes. Since she has such low regard for her time with them, maybe she should just stop relying on performing Supremes songs at her concerts.
    Last edited by jobucats; 02-06-2023 at 10:16 AM.

She didn't show up at the main show last night. So that's that. She couldn't even bother to send out a Tweet about receiving this honor, instead in the last month tweeting about hats and Evan now trying to make a go at it in restaurants.

Since this means little to nothing to her, she should just drop Supremes songs from her show and just sing her solo stuff, with an emphasis on the preachy type material. Ironic that the last 10-15 years or so, she's very vocal about being positive and being loving and the Thank You album is drenched in such sentiments, but when given an opportunity to practice what she's been preaching by showing up to stand with the daughters of Mary and Flo and saying "Thank you", she couldn't do it. As marybrewster stated so much for "Thank you".

I won't destroy my Ross CDs or tune out her leads on Supremes song and just listen to the backgrounds and music, that's silly. She's a remarkable talent. But I don't regard too highly as a person. Too often vapid and self absorbed, only caring about herself and her family and that's it.

I recall reading in one of the books that her father had doubts about her joining the Primettes as he thought his daughter lacked a group mentality. Over 60 years later she continues to prove him right.

I get it that those years with the Supremes may not have been her happiest but at her age she needs to get over it at this point.
    Totally agree with this. I had the same thought over the weekend.

As someone who had a drinking problem back in the day, went through AA, had a close friend pass away from the addiction, your words did not offend me Carlo and didn't see anything wrong with what you said.
    Thank you, floyjoy. Sorry to read that your life and your friend's life had been affected by this same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I won't destroy my Ross CDs or tune out her leads on Supremes song and just listen to the backgrounds and music, that's silly. She's a remarkable talent. But I don't regard too highly as a person. Too often vapid and self absorbed, only caring about herself and her family and that's it.
    I'm now also in the same boat as you, Spreadinglove. I wish I didn't feel this way, but it's very obvious that what she says and what she does, are two very different things.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-06-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Ms. Ross did release a statement through her publicist on Saturday: “Performing with two talented woman, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, is a memory that will be in my heart forever. It was a beautiful symphony. Motown was such an incredible family. I'm forever grateful for the blessed opportunity.”

I think in accepting such a prestigious award, Diana would be facing the reality that it wasn’t all just about her. This is something i can never envisage her doing, Supremes or no Supremes.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-06-2023 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think in accepting such a prestigious award, Diana would be facing the reality that it wasn’t all just about her. This is something i can never envisage her doing, Supremes or no Supremes.
    actually i don't think that's true at all. there was a situation where at a show she did a Q&A with the audience and someone started to bash Mary. diana cut them right off and reprimanded them, saying that mary had been keeping the magic and legacy of The Supremes alive for all these years.

I think Diana did really see The Supremes as Mary's group. Diana was a member for 9 years. mary for 17. during the non-Diana years, they kept going mostly because of mary and they recorded some very good music. I believe diana was more than aware of their music and albums and very proud to have been part of the group but also very proud of mary for maintaining a "supreme" group.

i have no insider info as to why she didn't join in. i had wished she had. but she's always damned if she did, damned if she didn't

And in this case, more dammed because she didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

i have no insider info as to why she didn't join in. i had wished she had. but she's always damned if she did, damned if she didn't
    That’s just a get out of jail card created so she can never be blamed for anything.
    I think the Supremes accomplished more then just making some good music. As such, i think their legacy was deserving of some kind of recognition by the only surviving original member.
    I can just imagine the poor Diana posts had Mary been still alive and attended.

If they had cut out the 3 'fans" segments in the Grammys they could have shown clips from the Saturday night and maybe we could have seen Lisa and Turkessa. They didnt even mention any of Saturdays lifetime Grammys and they could have flashed to Lisa and Turkessa cause they were in the audience last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

look i completely get it that the industry and much of the general public hasn't properly acknowledged the group. and i get it that individual former members have made poor decisions over the years regarding the group. those are things that i have 0 control or influence over.

my being a fan is based on my own personal enjoyment, not on outside recognition or acknowledgement. sure i'd love more but if they had had 75 grammies, and every album went #1 etc etc it wouldn't make me like them more. it wouldn't add any pleasure to my listening to YCHL for the 10,000,000th time. it wouldn't change my opinion that the MS&S is an amazing and classic album. it wouldn't increase the tingles down the spine every time i listen to Diana's solo rendition of Little Girl Blue. it wouldn't make me dance any faster every time i hear The Boss.

my purpose here on this forum is to delve into crazy fun minutiae on the group, trade stories and info, etc. None of that is increased or decreased based on the presence of a grammy or whether Diana shows up or not.