[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my purpose here on this forum is to delve into crazy fun minutiae on the group, trade stories and info, etc. None of that is increased or decreased based on the presence of a grammy or whether Diana shows up or not.
    That’s fine, i feel much the same way. It still doesn’t excuse Diana’s thoughtless behaviour.

was she in the audience Sunday for the main awards show? i've never really bothered much with any of them so i never watch the red carpets, who's seen with who, etc.

was she in the audience Sunday for the main awards show? i've never really bothered much with any of them so i never watch the red carpets, who's seen with who, etc.
    No, she was at home trying to pretend it wasn’t happening.

look i completely get it that the industry and much of the general public hasn't properly acknowledged the group. and i get it that individual former members have made poor decisions over the years regarding the group. those are things that i have 0 control or influence over.

my being a fan is based on my own personal enjoyment, not on outside recognition or acknowledgement. sure i'd love more but if they had had 75 grammies, and every album went #1 etc etc it wouldn't make me like them more. it wouldn't add any pleasure to my listening to YCHL for the 10,000,000th time. it wouldn't change my opinion that the MS&S is an amazing and classic album. it wouldn't increase the tingles down the spine every time i listen to Diana's solo rendition of Little Girl Blue. it wouldn't make me dance any faster every time i hear The Boss.

my purpose here on this forum is to delve into crazy fun minutiae on the group, trade stories and info, etc. None of that is increased or decreased based on the presence of a grammy or whether Diana shows up or not.
    That's fantastic for you. But not everyone has to feel the same way. Cutting through the bullshit of 1967, 1970, 1983, 2000 and any other year someone wants to throw in, It's unlikely the world would even know who she was if it weren't for the Supremes. She has forgotten her roots and disregarded their legacy.

There's no excuse why Diana didn't properly represent herself, either in person or via messenger. Period.

I want to thank Harvey Mason Jr. as the new CEO and his new direction with the Grammys.

This is a real good recap but Ive tried all day and cant find a video of Lisa and Turkessa although Lisa has said shes going to post some clips. I will keep checking Facebook.

https://www.billboard.com/music/awar...es-1235212641/

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    This is a real good recap but Ive tried all day and cant find a video of Lisa and Turkessa although Lisa has said shes going to post some clips. I will keep checking Facebook.

https://www.billboard.com/music/awar...es-1235212641/
    Just a couple of photos. Can't find videos either.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    That's fantastic for you. But not everyone has to feel the same way. Cutting through the bullshit of 1967, 1970, 1983, 2000 and any other year someone wants to throw in, It's unlikely the world would even know who she was if it weren't for the Supremes. She has forgotten her roots and disregarded their legacy.

There's no excuse why Diana didn't properly represent herself, either in person or via messenger. Period.
    Bottom line, with Ross apologists no longer able to use Mary as a scapegoat for Diana’s now obvious indifference to anything Supreme. So very sad and totally unnecessary.

I have mixed feelings about it. The girls look stunning, proud and represented their mothers legacy in a good way.

Ms Ross...I fail to get my head around why she ignored the whole thing.

Putting myself in her shoes, whatever she done, she could not do it right. By being there she will have overshadowed the girls, by sending her children she would have faced backlash. So, as if often, if you can't do right, then do nothing.

However, complete ignoring the whole award is making it worse. Just posting one pic, one clip could have made a difference. As people wrote, its the start of her career. The Supremes are already often overlooked. Now she is doing it herself?

Mixed feelings because I'm glad and proud the girls got their award, sad and disappointed there is complete silence from the one member who was there at the start of it all.

And sad the other Supremes, who kept the group going, despite the troubles, are ignored.

I don't think Diana Ross would have received back lash if she had appeared with Turkessa and Lisa to accept the award. The daughters aren't entertainers and they aren't trying to forge careers as public figures. Diana standing with them would have been seen as positive and gracious, unless Diana did something so spoil it like not acknowledge them or look at them, or push them, or covering their faces with her hands or trash talk their mothers and their families while making her acceptance speech while bragging about herself and her children. And if she had shown up I don't think she would have engaged in such stunts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    I have mixed feelings about it. The girls look stunning, proud and represented their mothers legacy in a good way.

Ms Ross...I fail to get my head around why she ignored the whole thing.

Putting myself in her shoes, whatever she done, she could not do it right. By being there she will have overshadowed the girls, by sending her children she would have faced backlash. So, as if often, if you can't do right, then do nothing.

However, complete ignoring the whole award is making it worse. Just posting one pic, one clip could have made a difference. As people wrote, its the start of her career. The Supremes are already often overlooked. Now she is doing it herself?

Mixed feelings because I'm glad and proud the girls got their award, sad and disappointed there is complete silence from the one member who was there at the start of it all.

And sad the other Supremes, who kept the group going, despite the troubles, are ignored.
    I hope after this debacle Diana Ross cuts the fake ass new agey positive and I love you BS rhetoric that she likes to wallow in when making statements and writing songs. Until she can better practice what she preaches, she should cut out the preaching.

The only excuse that I will accept is if something is wrong, physically. Maybe senior age has her arthritis inflamed. Maybe she's having some kind of anxiety about large crowds or something. I don't know, but I could accept those as legit reasons why she failed to attend. However, it's difficult to give her that kind of benefit of the doubt when apparently the only public attention she gave to the honor was a brief statement released by her publicist.

Her social media should have been full of acknowledgements for this. Photos, anecdotes, music, to at least give the appearance that, while not in attendance, she is very much there in spirit.

I agree with Supfan on reasons to be a fan and that it doesn't have anything to do with the Grammies. But that wasn't the issue. The issue was the Supremes receiving the highest honor the music industry awards musical acts and the last living original Supreme couldn't be bothered. To many of us it feels like if a bunch of artists suddenly started talking crap about why the Supremes were being honored when they weren't really that good. At this point I'm imagining that some of the comments I see around the web dissin the Supremes is Diana Ross herself.

Of course Diana would have overshadowed Turquessa and Lisa. She's freaking DIANA ROSS. Lol Who is Turquessa and Lisa in comparison? We love them, of course, but we love them because we love their mothers. They have done nothing for us to be fans over. Diana Ross, on the other hand, has released decades of music that we are fans of. So I don't think anyone could reasonably fault Diana for being the focal point in the middle of Turquessa and Lisa, especially if Diana made it a point to ensure that the other ladies got equal time at the mic to speak on behalf of their mothers.

That being said, there is only one other lady who could have been on that stage with Diana and not been overshadowed: Mary Wilson. Mary wouldn't have allowed it, and quite frankly, over the years, Mary had done a great job of making sure people knew who the real Queen Supreme was. The press wouldn't have ignored her, not even for Diana Ross. Twenty years ago? Maybe. Over the last several years of Mary's life? Doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I hope after this debacle Diana Ross cuts the fake ass new agey positive and I love you BS rhetoric that she likes to wallow in when making statements and writing songs. Until she can better practice what she preaches, she should cut out the preaching.
    I wouldn't call her messaging positivity fake. She didn't show up to the Grammies and honor the group that made her famous, but it's not like Turquessa and Lisa were at her front door asking for a piece of bread and a sip of water and Diana was like "Get the hell away from here, you bums!". She appears to be a doting mother and grandmother, she gives her time to just causes and when individuals need her, she shows up. We can call her out when she makes a bad move, but I don't think one bad move makes a phony person. This chick just doesn't give a crap about the Supremes, but that don't mean she doesn't care about humanity in general.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The only excuse that I will accept is if something is wrong, physically.
    Normally, I would as well, of course, but look at Tina Turner. By all accounts, she's got one foot on the grave and the other one on a banana peel, but was thoughtful and gracious enough to send a video message for her RRHOF induction. My arms are still folded, Miss Ross.

the supremes' history is full of bullshit, fights, disses, etc. and all participates shared in this. flo caused all sorts of problems, mary causes them, diana, and all of the rest. there have been debacles and fuck ups since nearly the beginning. all of the ladies have done things to mar the image of the group so how is this any different.

would i have liked to see here there. sure i would. would have been lovely. but what purpose does it serve to invest that level of personal attachment to people you don't know? at least i'm assuming you don't have a lengthy, personal relationship with any of the women. we are fans. we're not family, we're not friends with them. they provide us with entertainment and we return that with fan support. that doesn't mean they're infallible or perfect. mistakes don't erase the contribution they've given us. Mary and Diana's behaviors at motown 25 or RTL or their snarky books don't erase the magic of 3 young black girls in the mid 60s being major successes at the Copa and in Vegas. it doesn't negate their amazing songs. and dwelling on supposed slight [[of which we don't really know why she wasn't there) doesn't seem highly productive

I wouldn't call her messaging positivity fake. She didn't show up to the Grammies and honor the group that made her famous, but it's not like Turquessa and Lisa were at her front door asking for a piece of bread and a sip of water and Diana was like "Get the hell away from here, you bums!". She appears to be a doting mother and grandmother, she gives her time to just causes and when individuals need her, she shows up. We can call her out when she makes a bad move, but I don't think one bad move makes a phony person. This chick just doesn't give a crap about the Supremes, but that don't mean she doesn't care about humanity in general.
    well said ran. i don't know that i believe that she doesn't care about the supremes. i think she does. as to why she didn't show up, i don't know. i've not spoken to her lol but my lack of an official reason or statement doesn't mean we should assume the worse.

I don't think it's that she doesn't care about the Supremes, but there's something that obviously triggers anxiety for her regarding the Supremes. But I can't give her a pass. You can't avoid it, you have to face it. And she hasn't and I know why but I don't want to stir the pot on here.

”Thank You” did not deserve a Grammy. Parts of it are cringeworthy and other parts blah. She has an old lady voice, and old people never sound as good or run as fast as the young. Their days of trophies generally lie in the past. She deserved many Grammys for earlier stellar work. “Thank You” is no where near that quality.

I had no vested interest in her going to the Grammys. It’s no big deal because almost no one saw the Supremes award anyway, and some who did had no idea who she is and what the group meant to music. I would have like to see a new pic of her nicely dressed and made up, but it did not happen.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-07-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Again, the behavior for unknown reasons causes the fans to get emotional about it. At least, I am. And yes, Ms. Ross doesn't owe us fans anything, she has performed, pushed and acted to entertain us for many years.

However, her brand of positivity and gratitude doesn't match this occasion. I really fail to understand it.

And to put some Dutch directness into the conversation, what if she becomes ill or even worse in the coming months? I surely hope not and wish everyone a happy and healthy life, but what if not? This will be the last thing we and the press will remember?

Remember the last video posted by Ms Wilson? She was glowing about the upcoming release. That remains the last public image of her.

I guess with everything going on in the world right now, carpe diem, enjoy every day, kiss, hug and love the people close to you. Express gratitude to the ones you love [[pun taken, song "in the ones you love").

You never know what tomorrow brings.

I'm still baffled by all of this mess.

And also thankful for the daughters who looked great and shined on behalf of their mother.

Regarding Diana's no-show, count me in the 'disappointed by not surprised' category. I would have been surprised if she did show up, quite frankly. I thought the statement she released was lovely, and looking at the past, she has rarely attended "Motown family" events unless Berry is also present. And when she does acknowledge The Supremes, it has generally been on her own terms. To echo marybrewster's sentiment - I do think it was too bad she didn't send Rhonda in her stead, if she wasn't inclined to be there herself. What a beautiful thing it would have been to have the original Supremes' first-born daughters together commemorating the legacy. Perhaps that'll happen for a future honour.

I also wonder if the fact that she may have been a long-shot to win her solo nomination may have played into her no-show.

Either way, I'm loving the photos of Lisa and Turkessa, and how wonderful it was to see them honouring The Supremes together.
    Last edited by telekin; 02-07-2023 at 05:00 PM.

I’m certainly not going to let it effect my appreciation of the music, but i firmly believe the reason Diana virtually ignored the whole occasion comes down to the fact it was not exclusively about her.
    Mary always said Diana had a problem in sharing the limelight. I think this rather proves she was pretty much spot on with her assessment.

But Ollie don't you think the ever-present, hands-on style of the Ross family would have known better the need to steer this in a proper direction and would have guided Diana into seeing a path to doing so?
    Even now in the aftermath, the entire Ross ensemble remains tight-lipped when its an obvious faux pas that would be best addressed.

Something is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’m certainly not going to let it effect my appreciation of the music, but i firmly believe the reason Diana virtually ignored the whole occasion comes down to the fact it was not exclusively about her.
    Mary always said Diana had a problem in sharing the limelight. I think this rather proves she was pretty much spot on with her assessment.
    No I can't go with that. I even remember an award that Diana received that she dedicated to all the Supremes ESPECIALLY to Mary Wilson and I know of an incident when a fan tried to dog Mary and Diana put them in their place saying, " You don't know Mary Wilson, she has been the reason for the Supremes continued legacy". So, I am not buying any of the fans reasons against Diana. I let it go when I heard Ross and all her Kids and spouses were not attending and no one was asked to received any awards for her. Oh my GOD I am reaching for that point in my life when I can say "NO", I am not doing it.

As I've been reading this thread, the thought popped into my mind that this has nothing to do with Diana's relationship with the Supremes, but rather her relationship with the Grammys. Maybe she has resentment against the organization for past [[perceived or real) slights and therefore didn't want to put herself out on a limb to be present for any event due to resentment.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    No I can't go with that. I even remember an award that Diana received that she dedicated to all the Supremes ESPECIALLY to Mary Wilson and I know of an incident when a fan tried to dog Mary and Diana put them in their place saying, " You don't know Mary Wilson, she has been the reason for the Supremes continued legacy". So, I am not buying any of the fans reasons against Diana. I let it go when I heard Ross and all her Kids and spouses were not attending and no one was asked to received any awards for her. Oh my GOD I am reaching for that point in my life when I can say "NO", I am not doing it.
    Exactly, it was an award that she was being given, not the Supremes collectively. I imagine this being the only reason she was there in the first place. Words are all to easy, it’s actions that really matter.
    This award was as much about Mary and Flo as it was about Diana. Not really the best time to decide i can’t be assed anymore methinks. Sometimes in life you have to look beyond yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    But Ollie don't you think the ever-present, hands-on style of the Ross family would have known better the need to steer this in a proper direction and would have guided Diana into seeing a path to doing so?
    Even now in the aftermath, the entire Ross ensemble remains tight-lipped when its an obvious faux pas that would be best addressed.

Something is not right.
    You know what Boogie, as a fan i really hope your right and there is indeed a concrete reason as to why Diana has distanced herself from something that meant so much to so many. Apologists aside, she is receiving vast amounts of negative criticism from all corners at the moment which could so easily have been avoided.
    If she was ill, surely a simple announcement would make for good PR. You don’t have to go into detail.
    Perhaps all are keeping their heads down, just wishing it would go away.

So much disappointment, bad blood and regrets in this thread.

Luckily today I managed to download a couple of videos from the better [[not sure if I can call em 'good') old days..

Wlll watch them tonight as a tribute to 'Diana Ross' AND 'The Supremes'.

Name:  audience_diana.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  suptom.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  76.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    So much disappointment, bad blood and regrets in this thread.]
    Strange that, i really can’t imagine why.
    Perhaps fans should keep personal opinion to themselves regarding this most important of events. As much as I enjoy them, this was never a thread relating to which songs or concerts make us happy.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-08-2023 at 08:56 AM.

the supremes' history is full of bullshit, fights, disses, etc. and all participates shared in this. flo caused all sorts of problems, mary causes them, diana, and all of the rest. there have been debacles and fuck ups since nearly the beginning. all of the ladies have done things to mar the image of the group so how is this any different.

would i have liked to see here there. sure i would. would have been lovely. but what purpose does it serve to invest that level of personal attachment to people you don't know? at least i'm assuming you don't have a lengthy, personal relationship with any of the women. we are fans. we're not family, we're not friends with them. they provide us with entertainment and we return that with fan support. that doesn't mean they're infallible or perfect. mistakes don't erase the contribution they've given us. Mary and Diana's behaviors at motown 25 or RTL or their snarky books don't erase the magic of 3 young black girls in the mid 60s being major successes at the Copa and in Vegas. it doesn't negate their amazing songs. and dwelling on supposed slight [[of which we don't really know why she wasn't there) doesn't seem highly productive
    That's all fine and well said.

But she couldn't send a telegram?

Dwelling is not productive. But are 80% of the threads here? When we going to dredge up Motown 25 again, or RTL.

Look, I know you mean well. But there's no way you can tap dance around Diana has insulted the fans and the Supremes. Even lifelong "Rossers" know she's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    As I've been reading this thread, the thought popped into my mind that this has nothing to do with Diana's relationship with the Supremes, but rather her relationship with the Grammys. Maybe she has resentment against the organization for past [[perceived or real) slights and therefore didn't want to put herself out on a limb to be present for any event due to resentment.

Just a thought...
    Funny thing, thanxal. I had this same thought this morning, as I was thinking about the statement she had made via her publicist, which was first published in the Variety article. She voiced her gratitude for working with Mary and Flo, as well as the Motown family. However, in my opinion, it is telling that she made no reference to the Lifetime Achievement Award itself. You would think she would have acknowledged it in some way, by saying, "I am thankful that our legacy has been honoured by the Recording Academy" or something along those lines. That would also lead me to believe that she has some sort of beef with the institution. Maybe they refused to provide her with limo service to the ceremony? lol.

More seriously...even if this is the case, I still think she should have attended, or at the very least, posted her statement on social media as well. It's true that she very rarely seems to post about The Supremes on her social media accounts. The last time may have been two years ago, when Mary passed. I know for myself, my reaction to Diana's absence has been further heightened by Mary's passing and the sadness of knowing that much of the future legacy work for the group had died with her [someone else in this thread also alluded to this].

There is also no denying that Diana has avoided all of the past honours for The Supremes, but we know that had much to do with her avoidance of Mary...

There comes a point at her age where you have to put all of that aside and give up 'the Ms Ross mystique and aloofness', but I guess you can't change a tiger's stripes.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-08-2023 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    this was never a thread relating to which songs or concerts make us happy.
    No - a thread with a title like this should have been about celebrating a legacy not nit-picking and back-biting. But - well it is the DRATS channel I guess..

No - a thread with a title like this should have been about celebrating a legacy not nit-picking and back-biting. But - well it is the DRATS channel I guess..
    That's unrealistic, and again, so very insulting to suggest that if something doesn't make us happy that we should just suck it up and shut up.

This thread did start off acknowledging the honor. Of course speculation about the details are natural prior to the ceremony. Had Diana shown up to the delight of most fans, this thread would have continued on about how great it all was. When she chose to stay home and watch The First 48 on A&E instead, naturally it would lead to disappointment, and naturally this would be the place for us active SD posters to vent about that disappointment.

If you weren't bothered by Ross' no show, you had as much right as anyone else to say that, just as those of us who were disappointed had the right to say so as well. It's not nitpicking just because you disagree.

I don't buy the Grammy beef excuse. Diana had eons to beef with the Grammies, every time she was nominated and lost, or not nominated at all when she thought she deserved at least that. When they gave her a lifetime award, she broke her neck and ankles to be there to receive the honor. Since then she has done nothing to be recognized for...until, apparently, the release of the TY album, which was then nominated. Now all of a sudden she has beef? Nope. Uh uh. Not buying it. She didn't even show up for her own album because she purposed it in her mind it would be a cold day in hell before she showed up for the Supremes and she knew how it would look if she showed up for her nomination but not the Supremes' award.

What pisses me off about Diana is that she is smart enough to know how her actions can come across, she complains that she's misunderstood and mischaracterized, but she always does the thing that ends up making her look the worst, when it comes to the Supremes. If I were Diana's PR person, or heck, even one of her kids who doesn't want people coming for their mother's neck yet again, I would have told Diana, since she doesn't want to be a Supreme for the night, and as a result wouldn't even be attending her own award nomination, call Turkessa and Lisa and let them know you're sending over a note for either, or both, of them to read on her behalf when accepting the award. Or, as has been suggested, sending Rhonda in her place.

But Diana didn't do any of that. And now she's being picked apart, yet again, when it could have all been avoided. She's often her own worst enemy.

I really don’t hear anyone nit-picking or back-biting. What I do hear are fans expressing how let down they are feeling due to a certain someone’s apparent indifference to the group that made her a star. A slight damper on celebrations methinks.
    It’s how we respond to varying opinion that makes us who we are.

With a title like this , you’re absolutely right . And whose fault is it that it isn’t ??

Noticing total silence directly from Diana Ross is nitpicking ? Hee haw !
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-08-2023 at 02:09 PM.

I think there’s a bit too much fuss about something very few care about.

It reminds me of how people complain that Diana isn’t celebrated and awarded enough. Honestly - I think she’s had plenty.

The Supremes might have some complaint but have the Beach Boys and Rolling Stones been recognized more? I had given up in the Supremes getting a Lifetime Achievement Award.

I don't buy the Grammy beef excuse. Diana had eons to beef with the Grammies, every time she was nominated and lost, or not nominated at all when she thought she deserved at least that. When they gave her a lifetime award, she broke her neck and ankles to be there to receive the honor. Since then she has done nothing to be recognized for...until, apparently, the release of the TY album, which was then nominated. Now all of a sudden she has beef? Nope. Uh uh. Not buying it. She didn't even show up for her own album because she purposed it in her mind it would be a cold day in hell before she showed up for the Supremes and she knew how it would look if she showed up for her nomination but not the Supremes' award.

What pisses me off about Diana is that she is smart enough to know how her actions can come across, she complains that she's misunderstood and mischaracterized, but she always does the thing that ends up making her look the worst, when it comes to the Supremes. If I were Diana's PR person, or heck, even one of her kids who doesn't want people coming for their mother's neck yet again, I would have told Diana, since she doesn't want to be a Supreme for the night, and as a result wouldn't even be attending her own award nomination, call Turkessa and Lisa and let them know you're sending over a note for either, or both, of them to read on her behalf when accepting the award. Or, as has been suggested, sending Rhonda in her place.

But Diana didn't do any of that. And now she's being picked apart, yet again, when it could have all been avoided. She's often her own worst enemy.
    Indeed. Sometimes Diana Ross doesn't make it easy for that part of her fanbase that regards her as perfect and infallible. When she fails to live up to that, rather than admit she made a mistake by not showing up, or posting this on social media, or not even sending a message to be read, they are resorting to what aboutism, rationalizations, etc. Or saying, let's sweep this under the rug and focus on the Supremes accomplishments.