[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Supremes Lifetime Grammy Lifetime Achievement

Sorry for error in thread title

I am happy that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I am just sad that they chose to finally recognize the Supremes just after Mary Wilson had passed away. She truly would have been over the moon about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I am happy that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I am just sad that they chose to finally recognize the Supremes just after Mary Wilson had passed away. She truly would have been over the moon about this.
    This is very nice but somewhat hurtful. Some of these organizations are so slow off the mark.

One would assume Diana will be at the ceremony although I expect this will not be televised.

This is almost hard to believe - the way this has turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This is very nice but somewhat hurtful. Some of these organizations are so slow off the mark.

One would assume Diana will be at the ceremony although I expect this will not be televised.

This is almost hard to believe - the way this has turned out.
    They will probably just make mention of it during the program, just like when Diana received hers in 2012.

They did actually stream the ceremony. I remember watching it on my laptop right when the news that Whitney Houston had passed away was announced.

any recognition is great but agree that it's a shame this wasn't earlier. makes you wonder if Diana would have appeared at the ceremony along with mary

Wouldn't it be nice if Diana appeared with Florence and Mary's children?

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if Diana appeared with Florence and Mary's children?
    That seems a reasonable possibility but of course this type of award is done separately and not televised

I suppose if Diana does attend to accept this and she's feeling nostalgic for the old days of drama with someone named Wilson I suppose she could always try to upstage Ann and/or Nancy Wilson when they accept their honor or shove one of them or put her hands out to cover their faces, or make them sleep on the floor in the shared dressing room.

I rather think she would. It would have been fantastic to have both Diana and Mary in attendance. It would be incredibly sad if Diana were a no show.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I suppose if Diana does attend to accept this and she's feeling nostalgic for the old days of drama with someone named Wilson I suppose she could always try to upstage Ann and/or Nancy Wilson when they accept their honor or shove one of them or put her hands out to cover their faces, or make them sleep on the floor in the shared dressing room.
    Nancy Wilson passed away in 2018, so for her, it's a posthumous award.

I have a good feeling that Diana will be present to accept the award, since she's already nominated for her Thank You album. It wouldn't make sense for her to be a no-show [hopefully I'm right]. I agree that it would be nice to see her accept the award, alongside Mary and Flo's kids. I had mixed feelings when I initially learned of this news this afternoon. Like many of you, I had wished that Mary was here for this. The academy waited a little too long to honour The Supremes, but I guess it's better late than never.

Reese is correct that they will stream this separate portion of the ceremonies online, as I had also been watching the online stream, when Diana received her honour in 2012, which was followed by the sad breaking news of Whitney's passing.

With The Supremes receiving this honour, now would be the perfect time for Universal to finally give the green-light to the Reflections Expanded Edition. If it doesn't happen now, then I think that ship has sailed, almost for good.

I really hope the academy doesn’t consider the Supremes lifetime achievement Grammy reward enough, with “Thank You” losing out in the process. Despite not representing the Ross voice i first fell in love with, it really is an album that had grown on me more and more with each play.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Nancy Wilson passed away in 2018, so for her, it's a posthumous award.
    That Nancy Wilson isn't being honored this year by the Grammys. The Grammys are honoring Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, though oddly enough not Heart itself. It would be like if they had decided to honor Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but not The Rolling Stones.

In all seriousness as to whether Diana will be present to accept, I suspect chances are good one of her kids will be sent to accept on her behalf and she won't show, but I would be happy to be surprised.

That Nancy Wilson isn't being honored this year by the Grammys. The Grammys are honoring Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, though oddly enough not Heart itself. It would be like if they had decided to honor Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but not The Rolling Stones.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Lol. Oops!

Ya that is indeed very odd, that they're only honouring the two of them.

In all seriousness as to whether Diana will be present to accept, I suspect chances are good one of her kids will be sent to accept on her behalf and she won't show, but I would be happy to be surprised.
    I have a feeling that will be the case. Perhaps fear of Covid being a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really hope the academy doesn’t consider the Supremes lifetime achievement Grammy reward enough, with “Thank You” losing out in the process. Despite not representing the Ross voice i first fell in love with, it really is an album that had grown on me more and more with each play.
    I hardly think that the Supremes FINALLY receiving a Lifetime Grammy is going to have anything to do with her nomination. It may be why they finally decided to award them because she would be there. The Grammys have given out multiple Grammys to artists that are deserving, if she is supposed to win she will-I don't think they will say the Supremes get a Grammy after over 60 years so enough-let's award someone else just because.

I hardly think that the Supremes FINALLY receiving a Lifetime Grammy is going to have anything to do with her nomination. It may be why they finally decided to award them because she would be there. The Grammys have given out multiple Grammys to artists that are deserving, if she is supposed to win she will-I don't think they will say the Supremes get a Grammy after over 60 years so enough-let's award someone else just because.
    Hopefully not likely, but with all the politics involved one can never be entirely sure. I don’t think Grammy awards are necessarily dealt out to those who are supposed to win. “Endless Love” being a prime example.
    I’m not as confident as you that she will attend Jim. I can see Tracee or Evan being her representative, but sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Carson Daly just mentioned this award on the Today Show. Ironically, they showed a photo of Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie.

I did not realize that this is two separate ceremonies on two separate days. Did I read it right?

"The Academy will present the Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Special Merit Awards Ceremony. That ceremony will be held on February 4th, the day before the main Grammy Awards ceremony."

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nirvana...ement-grammys/

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I did not realize that this is two separate ceremonies on two separate days. Did I read it right?

"The Academy will present the Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Special Merit Awards Ceremony. That ceremony will be held on February 4th, the day before the main Grammy Awards ceremony."

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nirvana...ement-grammys/
    Correct.

The Lifetime Achievement Awards are presented at a separate ceremony which hopefully will be streamed.

The Grammy Awards are held the next evening and most likely, they will include a short montage of this year's Lifetime Achievement award recipients.
    Last edited by reese; 01-06-2023 at 10:26 AM.

I am so happy that the ladies are finally getting the award although I don't put much weight into any awards being giving. However, I am happy that Mary's kids and Flo's kids along with Diana are being recognized for their work in the industry. Sometimes, there is a bit of prejudice, bitterness, and yes hate until someone comes along and says hey this is just not right and we need to make this right.

I agree with you, Jim. The Grammy Awards are voter-based and I would think that the votes would have been submitted already, before yesterday's announcement of the lifetime achievement recipients, since the ceremonies are only a month away.

Would be strange to accept a 'lifetime' achievement award concerning the Supremes, unless the lifetime achievement means her success at distancing herself from the act for the past fifty years.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-06-2023 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Carson Daly just mentioned this award on the Today Show. Ironically, they showed a photo of Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie.
    Yes, I saw that too. And it made me wonder if all members throughout the group's history are honored with the award, or if it just the original group. Did the Temptations ever get one? If all the members of the Temptations are honored, they would need a bigger venue to fit them all on stage to accept

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Yes, I saw that too. And it made me wonder if all members throughout the group's history are honored with the award, or if it just the original group. Did the Temptations ever get one? If all the members of the Temptations are honored, they would need a bigger venue to fit them all on stage to accept
    I think whoever gathered the photo for the Supremes just grabbed the first group photo they found. I don't know for sure but most of the articles I've read regarding the award suggest that it is DMF who are the recipients.

The Tempts received the Lifetime Achievement Grammy in 2013. I think it might have been the classic 5 and Dennis who received it but I'm not sure.

Happy this is finally happening but really it took 60 years!!!!!
    Sad.

Nothing 'sad' to me. Happy that it is happening. My guess is that Diana will not attend. The handful of Toads [[and an ex-Supreme or two ...) seem to have made the memory of the group a less-than joyous one for Diana. So be it. A deserved enconium for a wonderful group. Be happy for the memory and let it go. Give a listen to A&S's 'Send It' for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Nothing 'sad' to me. Happy that it is happening. My guess is that Diana will not attend. The handful of Toads [[and an ex-Supreme or two ...) seem to have made the memory of the group a less-than joyous one for Diana. So be it. A deserved enconium for a wonderful group. Be happy for the memory and let it go. Give a listen to A&S's 'Send It' for more info.
    has Diana even issued a statement yet?

I believe Diana just gave Mary room to be “the Supremes” and to not show up and take the spotlight.

All I’ve seen refers to the 3 original members will get the award.

Ms. Ross’s Twitter account is about family Christmas and gratitude and nothing about this award; she eventually did say something about the Grammy nomination.

I hope still will attend and I think she will; the only issue is she will overshadow any of Mary’s children or Florence’s children that attend and that might keep her away - hoping not.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I believe Diana just gave Mary room to be “the Supremes” and to not show up and take the spotlight.

All I’ve seen refers to the 3 original members will get the award.

Ms. Ross’s Twitter account is about family Christmas and gratitude and nothing about this award; she eventually did say something about the Grammy nomination.

I hope still will attend and I think she will; the only issue is she will overshadow any of Mary’s children or Florence’s children that attend and that might keep her away - hoping not.
    i’m certain Diana will attend and graciously accept the award. I think it would be unusual for children or other descendants except on behalf of recipients who have passed. I’m sure that Jay Schwartz is doing everything he can to see to it that diana is not alone on the dais.

there are those who believe that for the last 30 years or so, the Grammy committee inquired to see if Miss Ross were perhaps available to except this most prestigious honor. There are those who believe that Diana turned down the invitation because she didn’t want to be stuck on stage in public with Mary. there are those who believe other honors require the recipient, or most significant recipient, to agree to attend before the award is announced. The Kennedy Center honors, the Hollywood walk of fame and humanitarian awards from the Oscars are said to be among this type, yep Mary was perfectly acceptable for the Hollywood walk of fame. Of course that has a different nominating process altogether. I think Diana had been graciously allowing Mary to except this Grammy honor and now that she has passed, we will happily except on behalf of all Supremes if necessary.

for whatever reason I’m happy that it’s finally happening. I kind of wish that all Supremes were being included, but the combination of Diana at Mary and Florence was special and was the best.

Congratulations. "The Super Duper" Supremes have a legacy in popular music that never fades.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    there are those who believe that for the last 30 years or so, the Grammy committee inquired to see if Miss Ross were perhaps available to except this most prestigious honor. There are those who believe that Diana turned down the invitation because she didn’t want to be stuck on stage in public with Mary.
    So one possible reason the group has never previously been honoured with this most prestigious award being M’s Ross found it unacceptable to stand on stage for ten minutes with M’s Mary Wilson, a fellow original member, smile and say thank you. So much for what the group stood for to so many.
    If the reason really is that feeble, i hope it is one if Mary or Florence’s children that accepts the honour.
    I remember reading how an employee found all the Supremes gold discs crammed under Diana’s kitchen sink. Perhaps acknowledging the public fell in love with three, as opposed to one individual Supreme being still difficult to accept.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-07-2023 at 01:25 PM.

So one possible reason the group has never previously been honoured with this most prestigious award being M’s Ross found it unacceptable to stand on stage for ten minutes with M’s Mary Wilson, a fellow original member, smile and say thank you. So much for what the group stood for to so many.
    If the reason really is that feeble, i hope it is one if Mary or Florence’s children that accepts the honour.
    I remember reading how an employee found all the Supremes gold discs crammed under Diana’s kitchen sink. Perhaps acknowledging the public fell in love with three, as opposed to one individual Supreme being still difficult to accept.
    that is, some say, one possible reason. However, I don’t see it as feeble at all. First of all, Diana is just saying she doesn’t want to attend, but she’s not keeping them from the stealing the honor and letting Mary accept. She probably knew that they wanted her to accept but may have felt that after being rejected enough times, they would just go with Mary. I would’ve assumed that, but I don’t know anything about it really.

ever since opening night at Motown the musical, I have come to believe that Diana may have a little PTSD when it comes to Mary. It might be from her point of view that Mary was a loose cannon who would do anything publicly to annoy, pick a fight, or cause trouble for Diana period I can understand people thinking that silly, but I think it’s very real. I was at the musical that night. I haven’t seen that look on Diana’s face since she yelled “shoot the fucking picture! “In mahogany As Mary climbing the stage, uninvited after the show. With show business smiles on their faces, Berry and Smokey instantly began to do damage control. They may even have shared Diana‘s concern. But they definitely recognized it in her. The same thing happened at the after party, and The guy who took the pictures said that Diana looked very uncomfortable once Mary was with her. Completely changed. And after a few shots, Diana split for the evening. Anyway, I don’t see why what Diana wants is any less important as what anyone else wants. And if she’s uncomfortable or threatened, real or imagined, I totally see why she would avoid such a scene. And I think Mary gave her every reason to feel insecure.

additionally, the equine rear waste that seeps between the pages of Mary’s books still seem to permeate the air. Diana has had a blowup of the Eula poster in her living room for 40 years. The Supremes are featured prominently in her show and in her television specials. I think it’s absurd to suggest she has a problem with America falling in love with three girls. And as for the gold records under her bathroom counter, would you proudly display fake RIAA gold record awards in your home? I would imagine that people that have a bunch of them don’t put them up anywhere. The last thing I would assume, is that she’s trying to downplay the Supremes wow featuring them in her act and in her home.

that is, some say, one possible reason. However, I don’t see it as feeble at all. First of all, Diana is just saying she doesn’t want to attend, but she’s not keeping them from the stealing the honor and letting Mary accept. She probably knew that they wanted her to accept but may have felt that after being rejected enough times, they would just go with Mary. I would’ve assumed that, but I don’t know anything about it really.

ever since opening night at Motown the musical, I have come to believe that Diana may have a little PTSD when it comes to Mary. It might be from her point of view that Mary was a loose cannon who would do anything publicly to annoy, pick a fight, or cause trouble for Diana period I can understand people thinking that silly, but I think it’s very real. I was at the musical that night. I haven’t seen that look on Diana’s face since she yelled “shoot the fucking picture! “In mahogany As Mary climbing the stage, uninvited after the show. With show business smiles on their faces, Berry and Smokey instantly began to do damage control. They may even have shared Diana‘s concern. But they definitely recognized it in her. The same thing happened at the after party, and The guy who took the pictures said that Diana looked very uncomfortable once Mary was with her. Completely changed. And after a few shots, Diana split for the evening. Anyway, I don’t see why what Diana wants is any less important as what anyone else wants. And if she’s uncomfortable or threatened, real or imagined, I totally see why she would avoid such a scene. And I think Mary gave her every reason to feel insecure.

additionally, the equine rear waste that seeps between the pages of Mary’s books still seem to permeate the air. Diana has had a blowup of the Eula poster in her living room for 40 years. The Supremes are featured prominently in her show and in her television specials. I think it’s absurd to suggest she has a problem with America falling in love with three girls. And as for the gold records under her bathroom counter, would you proudly display fake RIAA gold record awards in your home? I would imagine that people that have a bunch of them don’t put them up anywhere. The last thing I would assume, is that she’s trying to downplay the Supremes wow featuring them in her act and in her home. I think this is it all. When diana ross can’t come up with a convincing smile you know some thing is up!

Dana and Mary’s relationship was always a complicated one. Personally i always viewed those complications from both women’s point of view as opposed to Diana the saint and Mary the sinner.
    If Diana did indeed turn down the opportunity to accept such an incredibly prestigious award, therefore preventing the Supremes from being honoured then yes, i consider that’s fairly self centred. Not only that, it would have prevented Mary Wilson the prestige and honour of being part of that recognition.
    Diana has always performed Supremes songs because she knows thats what the public wants and expects from her. She has often said she is rarely sentimental about the past, always looking to the future.
    The Supremes meant so much to so many. Not just for their phenomenal musical achievements, but in breaking down cultural and social divide.
    I doubt given the opportunity, Mary would have ever have turned down a chance to honour the group she was always so very proud to have been a part of.

Just wondering is the 70s Supremes work included with this award?

Diana agreed to do Motown 60 only if she could get a solo performance at the Grammys the night before. Is she making any such agreements in order for her to pick up The Supremes award this year?

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Just wondering is the 70s Supremes work included with this award?
    It appears not

It’s Diana Mary Florence

I have a feeling that will be the case. Perhaps fear of Covid being a factor.
    I think she will attend in person unless she is unwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Cheers Bluebrock. With Mary Wilson no longer with us, i personally think it extremely important that Diana does indeed attend. It’s just as much her award as it is Mary and Florence, although i so wish Mary had lived to witness this supreme acknowledgement of the groups incredible achievements.

Cheers Bluebrock. With Mary Wilson no longer with us, i personally think it extremely important that Diana does indeed attend. It’s just as much her award as it is Mary and Florence, although i so wish Mary had lived to witness this supreme acknowledgement of the groups incredible achievements.
    I have just heard from, what I consider to be an extremely reliable source, that Diana will in fact be accepting her award in person. Evidently there was never any question about it.

I have just heard from, what I consider to be an extremely reliable source, that Diana will in fact be accepting her award in person. Evidently there was never any question about it.
    That's wonderful to hear.

Kudos to Diana, Mary, and Florence on this well deserved, and long overdue, recognition.

Congratulations to Miss Ross and Miss Wilson and Miss Ballard and a special thank you to Miss Birdsong for her contributions on the later big hits.

Very Well Desevrved indeed.

Let us hope that extremely reliable source proves correct. She owes it to the memory of the Supremes and what they represented.

Very well deserved, although it sucks that it's not something being presented on live television during the main telecast. The Supremes deserve front and center attention the way a certain group of Brits whose name sounds oddly similar to "freatles" would probably get.

Hope she appears at the actual Grammys telecast as well!

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Hope she appears at the actual Grammys telecast as well!
    All the indications suggest she will indeed be there.

All the indications suggest she will indeed be there.
    Fingers crossed. Hopefully it might renew interest in the groups back catalogue, leading to at least one further expanded being released in the next fifty years lol.