[REMOVE ADS]

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You Abbey Road Acetate

Yes I saw this just before Christmas, it's nonsense!
    I have a copy of the Frank Wilson 45 UK "Tamla Motown" TM-1170 1979, they issued it in the UK due to the demand at that time. The Abbey Road so called acetate so what, it's just a cover version. The original is from the US from 1965 and I might argue it can only be this and not the original British cover versions.
    It's worth getting yourself a UK copy as they are genuine issue 45's rather than the Abbey Road Acetate which is no more than a straight copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Yes I saw this just before Christmas, it's nonsense!
    I have a copy of the Frank Wilson 45 UK "Tamla Motown" TM-1170 1979, they issued it in the UK due to the demand at that time. The Abbey Road so called acetate so what, it's just a cover version. The original is from the US from 1965 and I might argue it can only be this and not the original British cover versions.
    It's worth getting yourself a UK copy as they are genuine issue 45's rather than the Abbey Road Acetate which is no more than a straight copy.
    I have a few acetates in my collection but the problem for me is that I can't play them very often as they get worn out after just a few plays.

Pointless unless ownership is the only objective, which isn't me.

Also, not all acetates are of the same high quality of mastering. Some are superb, and others simply aren't.

I was there at the recording of this track in Abbey Road Studios. I took my Eddie Foster bootleg so that the engineer Chris Blair and Motown manager Gordon Frewin could check the levels on the bootleg. The reason quickly became apparent to me because I was hearing the tape sent from Motown in America in stereo. Of course, the original 45 was never in stereo.

So TMG 1179 is a mono fold of a stereo mix - it's not the original mix. It's close and probably the closest we could get at the time.