[REMOVE ADS]

The Rolling Stoner list

https://1075koolfm.com/celine-dion-l...-are-outraged/ This whole list is horse poo
    Fans lost it when the list came out and Celine Dion was not on it! But Celine isn’t the only one left off the list. Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross and Sting, were not included either.
    It appears that Rolling Stone was ready for the backlash as they had a prepared statement ready to fireback with on social media.

Before you start scrolling [[and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List,” the introduction noted. “Talent is impressive; genius is transcendent.”
    Ariana Granda and Taylor Swift also made the list!
    Excluded from the list this year, PINK, Jennifer Hudson, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole and Justin Bieber!

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    https://1075koolfm.com/celine-dion-l...-are-outraged/ This whole list is horse poo
    Fans lost it when the list came out and Celine Dion was not on it! But Celine isn’t the only one left off the list. Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross and Sting, were not included either.
    It appears that Rolling Stone was ready for the backlash as they had a prepared statement ready to fireback with on social media.

Before you start scrolling [[and commenting), keep in mind that this is the Greatest Singers list, not the Greatest Voices List,” the introduction noted. “Talent is impressive; genius is transcendent.”
    Ariana Granda and Taylor Swift also made the list!
    Excluded from the list this year, PINK, Jennifer Hudson, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole and Justin Bieber!
    Hate to one up you - but Diana Ross is #87 on the new list

When I saw Gladys and Martha's lower [[higher?) numbers my thought was that Diana would be left off of the list entirely, so I was quite happy to see Diana scored where she was. These lists are click-bait that everyone loves to hate - so be it. Was interesting to see that RS chose to go more broadly multi-cultural / international this time. Good for them.

Diana Ross is a way better singer than Beyoncé or Arianda grande

I loved that Michael was one lower than Diana

But it was great that Martha Reeves made it

A lot of people fell from their 1998 list

These lists are definitely click bait to drive people wild and draw attention; there’s nothing objective about them - no sales figures, no chart numbers, just some so called experts offering an opinion

I see CNN also said Diana Ross was left off - these news outlets are so unreliable

No Celine Dion or Judy Garland? Meh.

Agree that Judy Garland most certainly belongs on any such list. No Streisand either i see. At least Gladys Knight is represented, though should be ranked a lot higher me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Agree that Judy Garland most certainly belongs on any such list. No Streisand either i see. At least Gladys Knight is represented, though should be ranked a lot higher me thinks.
    I believe Streisand did make the new list but I might be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I believe Streisand did make the new list but I might be wrong
    I’m rather sure she isn’t, but don’t quote me. All such lists being subjective of course, but this one appears a trifle more silly.

I’m rather sure she isn’t, but don’t quote me. All such lists being subjective of course, but this one appears a trifle more silly.
    Jobeterob is correct. Barbra Streisand was included on this latest list and was ranked at #147. I agree that this list is a bunch of BS. There were 27 contributors that came together to create this, and it seems quite clear that the decision to exclude certain artists [ie. Celine Dion] was done on purpose, possibly by the executive editor. It seems silly and insulting to rank Barbra Streisand at #147, along with Donna Summer at #120 and Karen Carpenter at #122 [arguably the greatest voice of all time], and then place Rihanna at #68. Huh? Lol. Furthermore, I seem to recall that Taylor Swift was ranked at #102. The contributors introduced the list by stating that it is not solely ranked on musical talent and vocal abilities, but also overall artist creativity, depth of their discography, and their level of influence. If that's true, I still don't see how Rihanna would be ranked above these other ladies. It's just a bunch of BS. If anything, it just proved to me that Rolling Stone has zero credibility.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-05-2023 at 07:04 PM.

If anyone would like to easily review the full simplified list, without having to click through Rolling Stones' ridiculously-long, multi-page article, you can check it out via these links [someone on Twitter compiled an easy-to-read summary]:

Rankings 1 to 120:

https://twitter.com/dannah__montana/...NKwGlXVHgJnsRQ

Rankings 121 to 200:

I've noticed some articles online incorrectly saying that Diana was excluded, when she actually did indeed make the list. An example of our modern day, lazy copy and paste journalism, at its finest [one journalist makes an error and the error continues into other publication's articles, because no one does their homework these days].

I also don't get the rationale behind Beyonce ranking at #8, but ok...[clearly some major bias there].

I appreciate the succinct list

You have to hand it to Rolling Stone - huge visibility and free advertising

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    If anyone would like to easily review the full simplified list, without having to click through Rolling Stones' ridiculously-long, multi-page article, you can check it out via these links [someone on Twitter compiled an easy-to-read summary]:

Rankings 1 to 120:

Rankings 121 to 200:

I've noticed some articles online incorrectly saying that Diana was excluded, when she actually did indeed make the list. An example of our modern day, lazy copy and paste journalism, at its finest [one journalist makes an error and the error continues into other publication's articles, because no one does their homework these days].

I also don't get the rationale behind Beyonce ranking at #8, but ok...[clearly some major bias there].
    Cheers Carlo. No Piaf or Sarah Vaughn i see. Nice to see Poly Styrene creeping in there though. .
    Where would you have placed Diana?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-06-2023 at 07:50 AM.

I love lists, but what is the criteria here?

Morrissey cannot sing--I'm a big fan of his writing, I'm a huge Smiths fan, but he isn't much of a vocalist. PJ Harvey is on this list? In what universe? This list is pure hipster bullsmit.

Darlene Love is only 144? Uhh no. Should be top ten. Where is Nona Hendryx?

Cheers Carlo. No Piaf or Sarah Vaughn i see. Nice to see Poly Styrene creeping in there though. .
    Where would you have placed Diana?.
    Yeah, it's an odd list.

I'm afraid I can't give you a completely objective answer, in regards to where I would rank Diana. On my own personal list, if we are going strictly by vocal talent, she would be in my top 10 [I am objective enough to admit that this isn't realistic]...if we are going by the influence she and her music have had on my life, she is ranked #1. That being said, it also depends on how a person defines vocal talent and abilities. Diana has never been a powerhouse vocalist with a huge multi-octave range, but she has clarity, unique phrasing and versatility that allows her to convey lyrical content in an emotional and energetic way. For that reason, perhaps no one can ever give an objective ranking, because every artist appeals to each individual differently.

I would definitely put Whitney Houston and Karen Carpenter in the top 2, strictly based on vocal talent.

How about you, Ollie? Where would you rank Ms Ross?

In addition to Celine Dion, I think Marilyn McCoo, k.d. Lang, Anne Murray and Dionne Warwick deserved to be on this Rolling Stone list as well.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-06-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Yeah, it's an odd list.

I'm afraid I can't give you a completely objective answer, in regards to where I would rank Diana. On my own personal list, if we are going strictly by vocal talent, she would be in my top 10 [I am objective enough to admit that this isn't realistic]...if we are going by the influence she and her music have had on my life, she is ranked #1. That being said, it also depends on how a person defines vocal talent and abilities. Diana has never been a powerhouse vocalist with a huge multi-octave range, but she has clarity, unique phrasing and versatility that allows her to convey lyrical content in an emotional and energetic way. For that reason, perhaps no one can ever give an objective ranking, because every artist appeals to each individual differently.

I would definitely put Whitney Houston and Karen Carpenter in the top 2, strictly based on vocal talent.

In addition to Celine Dion, I think Marilyn McCoo, k.d. Lang, Anne Murray and Dionne Warwick deserved to be on this Rolling Stone list as well.
    For me Diana would definitely be ranked top 15. Her voice having had a major influence on American pop culture as well as helping to bridge cultural divide. This for me makes her more then worthy of such a high placement.
    The longevity of her incredible career speaks volumes regarding her continued appeal as a crossover artist.
    Any list that fails to recognise the historic musical significance of Garland, Piaf, Sarah Vaughn, Dionne Warwick etc etc is off point and rather misleading to say the least.

For me Diana would definitely be ranked top 15. Her voice having had a major influence on American pop culture as well as helping to bridge cultural divide. This for me makes her more then worthy of such a high placement.
    Very true and well said.

Yeah, it's an odd list.

Interesting, my friend Carlo [[and Happy New Year to you and yours!) - because I also immediately thought of the vastly under-rated Anne Murray. Never a 'favorite', but land-a-goshins the lady could sing! Saw Anne in concert once during the 'You Needed Me' era when she could sell out multiple shows at NYC's Radio City, and she was a joy. Be well, you and yours!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting, my friend Carlo [[and Happy New Year to you and yours!) - because I also immediately thought of the vastly under-rated Anne Murray. Never a 'favorite', but land-a-goshins the lady could sing! Saw Anne in concert once during the 'You Needed Me' era when she could sell out multiple shows at NYC's Radio City, and she was a joy. Be well, you and yours!
    Thanks Peace! Happy New Year to you and yours too! Glad to read that you agree about Anne Murray. I agree that she is indeed extremely underrated. I wish that I could have had the opportunity to see her in-person. I'm glad that you saw her, as she is amazing! I really enjoyed her documentary that aired back in 2021 on CBC.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-06-2023 at 09:26 PM.

Yeah, it's an odd list.

You should be a writer! Are you?

I’m old, still work part time because I got addicted to a job and am busy with grandchildren, so perhaps I don’t put enough time and thought into the kind of posts you write. They convey a lot - well done.

You should be a writer! Are you?

I’m old, still work part time because I got addicted to a job and am busy with grandchildren, so perhaps I don’t put enough time and thought into the kind of posts you write. They convey a lot - well done.
    Thanks Jobeterob! I'm not a writer, but funny enough, a few people have previously suggested that I should consider being one. Thank you for the kind words. Glad to read that you are continuing to stay busy. Happy New Year!
    Last edited by carlo; 01-07-2023 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks Peace! Happy New Year to you and yours too! Glad to read that you agree about Anne Murray. I agree that she is indeed extremely underrated. I wish that I could have had the opportunity to see her in-person. I'm glad that you saw her, as she is amazing! I really enjoyed her documentary that aired back in 2021 on CBC.
    Diana marks an important footnote in musical history that Anne does not. This is where any such list becomes overly subjective, in electing certain singers we personally favour regardless of their musical influence or footprint.

Ann is certainly a footnote in Canadian music history

Ann is certainly a footnote in Canadian music history
    As Olivia Newton John To Australia etc. The list being rather long for only 200 spots.

As Olivia Newton John To Australia etc. The list being rather long for only 200 spots.
    They came up with some pretty obscure choices - at least to me

They sure managed to create a fuss and a stir and lot of publicity which is what they really wanted

Maybe they deliberately left Celine off; her voice ranks with Whitney and Mariah.

Did Olivia make the list? She should have.

I question Bob Dylan ranking so high.

They sure managed to create a fuss and a stir and lot of publicity which is what they really wanted

Maybe they deliberately left Celine off; her voice ranks with Whitney and Mariah.

No Olivia or Madonna i believe. It’s certainly caused a media stir if that was it’s aim. I myself take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

There was a group of Celine Dion super fans that flew from Montreal to New York to protest outside of Rolling Stone's offices on Friday. The protest was led by the host of a television show from Quebec, who was there with a camera man to capture the event. It seemed to garner some attention, as some employees from Rolling Stone came outside to talk to the protestors, who were there with signs and singing Celine songs. It looked like the group was having fun time.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ent=celinadion
    Last edited by carlo; 01-08-2023 at 06:52 PM.

There was a group of Celine Dion super fans that flew from Montreal to New York to protest outside of Rolling Stone's offices on Friday. The protest was led by the host of a television show from Quebec, who was there with a camera man to capture the event. It seemed to garner some attention, as some employees from Rolling Stone came outside to talk to the protestors, who were there with signs and singing Celine songs. It looked like the group was having fun time.

. Among those snubbed include Janet Jackson, Cher, Madonna, Bruno Mars, Jennifer Hudson and Jazmine Sullivan.

Lists like this are, imo, mildly interesting/of no interest/ annoying/ a waste of time - all of the above. Especially Rolling Stone lists . Jann Wenner and his magazine, imo, have nowhere near the influence, regard or respect they had in the 70's & 80's [40-50 years!]. I just didn't think people pay much attention to them anymore.

At least this latest list seems to address the problem of their previous lists by being less "rock music critic elitist", casting a much wider net over music genres and periods. Of course, lists like these are bound to step on toes and feet. [Go Celine Dion lovers!] For me, Dionne Warwick should be included, and Barbra Streisand should be ranked way higher. Both are, again imo, great singers and great voices. Cher, Madonna, Janet, Olivia and Anne Murray [a personal favorite of mine ] are historically important in pop music history and should have been included.

Diana Ross, on my list, would rank right up in the Top Twenty, for her lasting cultural impact, pop music influence and her globally appealing voice.

[I don't question the ranking of the great Bob Dylan]
    Last edited by lucky2012; 01-10-2023 at 09:24 AM.

The biggest joke of this list is Ariana Grande number 43 and Diana Ross 87 someone’s o e major drugs Ross should be where Beyoncé is she should be where Streisand is

Many thanks for posting Carlo. With the innocent people of Ukraine being bombed and tortured on an almost daily basis, i myself really can’t get to worked up about this one. Just a personal perspective.

I'm not ashamed to say it, but that's just weird to me. If I'm ever out front of any establishment protesting because Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Billy Stewart, James Ingram, Martha Reeves, Jean Terrell, Flo Ballard, Stephanie Mills, Peabo Bryson, Donny Hathaway, DeeDee Warwick, Marvin Junior, Betty Everett or any other of my all time favorite voices ever didn't make a "best of" list...take me out. I don't want to live anymore. Call Dr. Kevorkian. Scratch that, he's dead. Call whoever he trained to put me out of my misery. Life isn't worth living anymore.

Many thanks for posting Carlo. With the innocent people of Ukraine being bombed and tortured on an almost daily basis, i myself really can’t get to worked up about this one. Just a personal perspective.
    You took the words right out of my mouth Ollie. Some people appear to have very little to worry about in their lives.