[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Cake

Cake

I have this on CD. Quite unusual. Anyone else, have it? Thoughts?

Cake
    Cake

LP [[Item 774273) Decca, 1967 — Condition: Near Mint-

$59.99 ... LP, Vinyl record album

Wonderfully tripped-out girl group work from the end of the 60s – almost a psyche-era take on the sound of female pop trios from a few years before! Cake definitely have their roots in a Brill Building, Phil Spector-influenced world – but their overall presentation here is much more open to hipper influences and late 60s modes – styles that take an otherwise straighter girl pop sound, and mix it up with odd production, unusual lyrics, and some wonderfully complex instrumentation – all of which almost makes the group sound like some sort of feminist commentary on girl group music! © 1996-2023, Dusty Groove, Inc.
    [[

Cake
    Cake

Last edited by lakeside; 01-01-2023 at 12:31 PM.

I know I have seen this and maybe even owned it on some format at one time or another. Didn't they do a cover of Barbara George's "I Know?"

...I prefer Marvin Gaye's Cakes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-TnQCCzjA

Grape

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I have this on CD. Quite unusual. Anyone else, have it? Thoughts?

Cake
    Cake

Wonderfully tripped-out girl group work from the end of the 60s – almost a psyche-era take on the sound of female pop trios from a few years before! Cake definitely have their roots in a Brill Building, Phil Spector-influenced world – but their overall presentation here is much more open to hipper influences and late 60s modes – styles that take an otherwise straighter girl pop sound, and mix it up with odd production, unusual lyrics, and some wonderfully complex instrumentation – all of which almost makes the group sound like some sort of feminist commentary on girl group music! © 1996-2023, Dusty Groove, Inc.
    [[

Cake
    Cake

Yes. The Spector type tracks are excellent.

The first time I heard "Baby That's Me" by The Cake was back in 1997 on an unofficial Various Artists Girl Group compilation [[from Italy) titled "Touch The Wall Of Sound". Although not in pristine sound quality from the master tapes, the Girl Group "TTWOS" CD series was exciting and, at the time, filled in tons of gaps in my Girl Group collection -- especially those that were Phil Spector sound-alikes. The Cake's "Baby That's Me" was among my favorites from this series.

I've always thought the lead singer on this track was Judy Craig of The Chiffons. In fact, right or wrong, I still do.

My copy of The Cake CD is a two-fer titled "More Of The Cake Please" which includes their first album titled simply "The Cake", and their second album, "A Slice Of Cake" -- both in Stereo. Also included is a Bonus Track -- "Baby It's Me" in MONO [[which is my preferred version). "More Of The Cake Please" is a 2007 release on the Rev-Ola label -- a division of Cherry Red Records. As reported by others above, the best tracks are the Spector-esque ones: Track 1, 2, 3, and 22. The remaining tracks are mostly folk rock -- not at all Girl Group-ish.

The track line-up is as follows:

THE CAKE [[Stereo)
    1) Baby That's Me
    2) World Of Dreams
    3) You Can Have Him
    4) Mideival Love
    5) Fire Fly
    6) Rainbow Wood
    7) I Know
    8) Mockingbird
    9) Ooh-Poo-Pah-Doo
    10) Stand By Me
    11) What'd I Say

A SLICE OF CAKE [[Stereo)
    12) Have You Heard The News About Miss Molly
    13) P.T. 280
    14) Sadie
    15) Tides Of Time
    16) Medley: Walking The Dog/Something's Got A Hold On Me/Big Boy Pete
    17) Extroverted Introvert
    18) Under The Tree Of Love And Laughter
    19) Annabelle Clark
    20) Who Will Wear The Crown
    21) Island Of Plenty

BONUS TRACK
    22) Baby That's Me [[Mono)

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-02-2023 at 02:10 AM.