[REMOVE ADS]

Rest in peace, Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters

We are starting 2023 with sad news.

https://thepointersisters.com/news.html

Anita was a real talent...a helluva singer and songwriter. She was incredibly beautiful too. She possessed a genuinely kind spirit and was always so wonderful to her fans [I can personally attest to this]. Rest in peace, Anita. Thank you for touching our hearts.

Here is one of my top favourite Pointer Sisters songs, which Anita co-wrote with Franne Golde and Allee Willis.

Last edited by carlo; 01-01-2023 at 02:40 AM.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/enter...bit/index.html

[[CNN)Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.

"While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace," Pointer's family said in a statement. "Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there."

"She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us," the statement said, while also asking that the family's privacy be respected "during this period of grief and loss."

The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.

The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, "Fairytale," in 1974. They are also known for hits like "Slow Hand," "Neutron Dance," and "Jump."

The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/enter...bit/index.html

[[CNN)Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.

"While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace," Pointer's family said in a statement. "Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there."

"She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us," the statement said, while also asking that the family's privacy be respected "during this period of grief and loss."

The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.

The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, "Fairytale," in 1974. They are also known for hits like "Slow Hand," "Neutron Dance," and "Jump."

The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.
    Very sad news. She was one hell of a singer and a talented songwriter. Sad to think there is only Ruth left with us.

So sorry to hear this news. I suspected that something was wrong last year when Ruth appeared on THE MASKED SINGER and mentioned that Anita had to bow out because she was ill. I was a fan of the Pointers for many years. May she R.I.P.

I'm truly sorry to hear about this. Rest In Power & Peace Anita Pointer.

I'd always hoped that Pointer Sisters would have a late in life album success like Solomon Burke or Loretta Lynn. I'm glad that Bonnie & Anita were able to record and release "Feels Like June" not all that long before their deaths.

Dang. Love all the sisters, but Anita was always my favorite—she had that extra something special. Rest in power—peace to Ruth, Aaron, Fritz, Roxie and the rest of the family.

Reese, I had forgotten about how Anita was supposed to be on the Masked Singer with Ruth. I had seen a TikTok video of Anita posted by Roxie, earlier this year, and could tell that she sadly wasn't looking well.

Smallworld, I was also hoping for a Pointer Sisters reunion with Bonnie, Anita and Ruth in recent years. I think Anita had wanted that, as at one point, she had mentioned in an interview that she dreamt of doing a 50th anniversary celebration concert with the three of them at the Hollywood Bowl...now that would have been something. I would have loved a new album from them too.

In interviews I had seen in recent years, you could see that Anita was still grieving the immense loss of her daughter Jada, along with the loss of her sisters June and Bonnie. Anita still had some life left to live, only being 74, but I take comfort in knowing that she's at peace now and she has been reunited with Jada, Bonnie and June.

RIP, Anita Pointer. Often overshadowed by the [more?] distinctive voices of her sisters, when Anita did step forth to sing lead the sweetness and ebullience of her voice made those harmonies soar. One of my favorite vocal groups. It's a disservice to label them an "R&B" group as they are one of the few Black female vocal groups, maybe the only, that was genuinely multigenre. Prayers for the family.

Last edited by Guy; 01-01-2023 at 11:21 AM.

This is such sad news on New Years Day 2023 :[[ Rest In Peace, Anita, June, Bonnie & Jada. You live on in your music.

One of many favorite Anita leads. The Pointer Sisters were among the best of the best when it comes to girl groups

Here’s a deep cut that’s probably my favorite Anita lead:

From the debut album. Rest in peace. Name:  anita.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  96.5 KB