[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Band of Gold

Band of Gold

Had HDH stayed at Motown, would Band of Gold have been given to Diana Ross?

No not a good song for the Supremes bu may the Vandellas or with a different arrangement probably right for the Four Tops.

I think the Jean led Supremes can do it
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    No not a good song for the Supremes bu may the Vandellas or with a different arrangement probably right for the Four Tops.

I think a solo Diana or a Jean led Supremes could have both done this wonderful song justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think a solo Diana or a Jean led Supremes could have both done this wonderful song justice.
    I agree, Bluebrock. I hadn’t thought of either before, but I can imagine both versions. Jean & the Supremes could have had a #1 hit and Diana Ross is the best song interpreter. It would have been very interesting. I do think Freda Payne’s recording is perfect.

Diana can sing pert near anything.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-30-2022 at 11:03 AM.

it's a great song and i love it. but it is basically a Motown knockoff. it was HDH re-establishing themselves after all of the legal struggles and so they did what they did/knew best.

so while i agree that both Sups and Diana would have rocked this song, it sounds like 1968 to me. maybe if HDH had stayed and the song was around, it would have been an amazing Vandellas or DRATS song for 68. but IF HDH had stayed, they would have continued to try and experiment. Band of Gold isn't experimental, just slightly updated.

Look at what HDH did in 66 with You Keep Me Hanging On and Reach Out, I'll Be There. and then Reflections in 67. so the real question is where would they have gone in 68 and 69 with motown's backing and support?

I think they would have been paying very close attention to the work Atlantic was doing. they would have tried to add more r&b to the DRATS sound to keep it relevant. They could have also looked at what Sly and Family Stone were doing and how Otis and Norman were redefining the Temps sound to be more funky

I always figured this song was written around the time HDH went 'on strike' at Motown. I figured it as a vehicle for Martha & The Vs. I also thought the same for 'Give Me Just A Little More' intended for the Tops.

But with the legal implications, I guess we will never find out the exact truth about many of the early Invictus hits [[and misses).

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's a great song and i love it. but it is basically a Motown knockoff. it was HDH re-establishing themselves after all of the legal struggles and so they did what they did/knew best.

so while i agree that both Sups and Diana would have rocked this song, it sounds like 1968 to me. maybe if HDH had stayed and the song was around, it would have been an amazing Vandellas or DRATS song for 68. but IF HDH had stayed, they would have continued to try and experiment. Band of Gold isn't experimental, just slightly updated.

Look at what HDH did in 66 with You Keep Me Hanging On and Reach Out, I'll Be There. and then Reflections in 67. so the real question is where would they have gone in 68 and 69 with motown's backing and support?

I think they would have been paying very close attention to the work Atlantic was doing. they would have tried to add more r&b to the DRATS sound to keep it relevant. They could have also looked at what Sly and Family Stone were doing and how Otis and Norman were redefining the Temps sound to be more funky
    Not sure about it being a Motown knockoff. What it shows to me is the degree to which HDH were responsible for their own flavour of The Motown Sound. There were a lot of tracks cut in the mid to late 60s that could also be described as HDH knockoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Not sure about it being a Motown knockoff. What it shows to me is the degree to which HDH were responsible for their own flavour of The Motown Sound. There were a lot of tracks cut in the mid to late 60s that could also be described as HDH knockoffs.
    “Right Back Where We Started From” comes immediately to mind, but there have been others. Would have loved to hear Diana or Jean do that. Also, Never Knew Love Like This Before. The HDH sound was probably what most of the world identifies most as the Motown Sound.

Band of Gold is a great record and Freda Payne did an excellent job on it. I can see Diana Ross as perhaps an influence for HDH on the song since they were used to writing for her but it would have sounded totally different if Diana had done it. Similarly, HDH had Honey Cone with songs like Want Ads and Stick Up that may have gone to the Supremes, but yet Honey Cone was more influenced by Martha & the Vandellas and the Marvelettes in sound even when compared to the Jean-led Supremes. However, I could easily hear the Scherrie-led Supremes tackle Stick Up and Want Ads since it was much closer in sound. I remember hearing Scherrie sang one of those songs but didn't like it and said Honey Cone could sing it. I could be wrong, though and I am sure you all will let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    “Right Back Where We Started From” comes immediately to mind, .
    I often like to imagine what the 1973-77 Supremes could have done with better song choices/offers. Your suggestion is a perfect example - I think they could have done very well with something like that.

Others around the time which might have worked [[at least in Europe) for the girls might have been 'Up in a Puff of Smoke', or for a slower track 'Misty Blue'.

[Others around the time which might have worked [[at least in Europe) for the girls might have been 'Up in a Puff of Smoke', or for a slower track 'Misty Blue'.[/QUOTE]

One obvious choice is "Angel in Your Arms". Scherrie or Mary could have won with that one.

Could any of the Motown women handled the Honey Cone's repertoire? The only one I can hear singing "Want Ads" is Martah Reeves.

I don't think Band o Gold was a good sound for the Supremes but I do think " Want Ads " would have been good for a Scherrie Payne lead. Actually, Want Ads, Stick Up and One Monkey Don't Stop No Show sounds like they were actually written for Scherrie even though we know that is not true ...right ?

Here is what Wikipedia says about Scherrie Payne and Want Ads:Prior to her tenure with The Supremes, Payne was the lead singer for the group Glass House.[2] Other members included Ty Hunter [[later with The Originals), Pearl Jones, and Larry Mitchell. The group signed with Invictus Records, formed by longtime Motown songwriters Eddie and Brian Holland, and Lamont Dozier, in 1969, among other popular acts of the early 1970s, including Freda Payne [[who had a #1 hit in 1970 with "Band Of Gold"), and Honey Cone, who had a #1 hit with "Want Ads". In an ironic twist of fate, "Want Ads" was originally recorded by Glass House with Scherrie on lead vocals. The Payne sisters together made a new version, but did not like the song and when Honey Cone's lead vocalist Edna Wright walked by in the studio they suggested she should sing it

"Now that you're gone, all that's left is a band of gold."

Wouldn't you love to hear Diana sing this great opening line?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-03-2023 at 01:28 PM.

Didn't Scherrie record ' Crumbs Off The Table' ?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Didn't Scherrie record ' Crumbs Off The Table' ?
    Yes, she did. As the lead singer of the group GLASS HOUSE

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Yes, she did. As the lead singer of the group GLASS HOUSE
    She's also revisited it in at least one recent official solo re-recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Had HDH stayed at Motown, would Band of Gold have been given to Diana Ross?
    It's possible that "Band Of Gold" would've been recorded [and become a Major Hit] by either Diana Ross, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas or Jean Terrell & The Supremes had H-D-H stayed at Motown.