[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Shows BBC 2 New Year's Day

There are 4 Motown shows on BBC 2 TV on New Year's Day from 9pm to 1.40am.
    Motown Master:Lamont Dozier at the BBC looks particularly interesting as does When Motown Came to Britain. I'm not sure if the Marvin Gaye and the Smokey Robinson concerts have been shown before.

See Ollie9's thread "Motown on TV" in the Diana Ross & Supremes section and Grapevine's thread "When Motown Came to Britain".
    Last edited by 144man; 12-29-2022 at 02:39 PM.

I'm going to be glued to the TV tonight!

I can't get it in France so I am hoping it goes up on youtube soon.

Same old thing..it gets kind of boring after a while seeing the same old clip of The Supremes singing Baby Love from TOTP thats used for every single documentary here in the UK...I would have thought by now we could have gotten a proper gritty docu with rare clips and interviews etc...I guess the best we have is The Making Of Motown and we will have to make do .

I really enjoyed the Lamont Dozier, When Motown Came To Britain and the Marvin Gaye concert programmes last night. The information provided was excellent and for someone who was too young at the time, the information about the UK Tamla-Motown Appreciation Society was particularly engaging.

Seeing and hearing Lamont perform How Sweet It Is was priceless as was Marvin's tribute to Tammi which put dirt into my eyes.

Really disappointed with the "Lamont Dozier" .....if the point was to make people aware of his talents and history, sadly most watchers would have been more interested in clips of rod Stewart, Kylie Minogue, Phil Collins etc.

"When Motown came to the UK" was very good.

I turned on thinking I've seen it all before but was pleasantly surprised by the interviews with Adam White and David Nathan and clips and recordings of the late Dave Godin which were new to me.

Yes, very good

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Really disappointed with the "Lamont Dozier" .....if the point was to make people aware of his talents and history, sadly most watchers would have been more interested in clips of rod Stewart, Kylie Minogue, Phil Collins etc.

"When Motown came to the UK" was very good.
    Couldn't agree more. Fast forwarded [[very fast )though the Lamont Dozier program, it was beyond painful. Lamont himself only made a brief appearance at the very end. Disappointing

"When Motown came to the UK" was excellent for the most part. David Godin, Clive Richardson, David Nathan were rightly given prominence and I remember very well their promotion of soul music from the outset. [[John Abbey was a major figure too). David Nathan selling me records in the Contempo upstairs room in Hanway Street, and me buying Dave's Soul City record releases. And later, Cheapo Cheapo Records anyone?

For me it really resonated when it talked about the obscurity of the black music scene in the early 60s and how one felt isolated. I picked up black music solely from Radio Luxembourg, as I lived in a south west city where there was zero exposure to the music. It was years before I met anyone who knew of Stateside, Motown or Stax, and therefore I had nothing in common musically with my contemporaries. I used to order records purely on the basis of labels and producers, as there was no way of hearing many of them in advance! Blues and Soul was the bible. Still entranced by the same music to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Fast forwarded [[very fast )though the Lamont Dozier program, it was beyond painful. Lamont himself only made a brief appearance at the very end. Disappointing

"When Motown came to the UK" was excellent for the most part. David Godin, Clive Richardson, David Nathan were rightly given prominence and I remember very well their promotion of soul music from the outset. [[John Abbey was a major figure too). David Nathan selling me records in the Contempo upstairs room in Hanway Street, and me buying Dave's Soul City record releases. And later, Cheapo Cheapo Records anyone?

For me it really resonated when it talked about the obscurity of the black music scene in the early 60s and how one felt isolated. I picked up black music solely from Radio Luxembourg, as I lived in a south west city where there was zero exposure to the music. It was years before I met anyone who knew of Stateside, Motown or Stax, and therefore I had nothing in common musically with my contemporaries. I used to order records purely on the basis of labels and producers, as there was no way of hearing many of them in advance! Blues and Soul was the bible. Still entranced by the same music to this day.
    In the mid 60s - there were many fan clubs - and the Clifton Record shop - all places where you could find out more plus, of course, the pirate stations.

I was in the extreme South West, and definitely no fan clubs, no black music venues, and no places to meet like minded souls in the early to mid 60s. Bristol seemed light years away. London, another planet. I was at that time in my very early teens, so even if clubs had existed I would have been underage
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 01-03-2023 at 01:44 PM.

I was in the extreme South West, and definitely no fan clubs, no black music venues, and no places to meet like minded souls in the early to mid 60s. Bristol seemed light years away. London, another planet. I was at that time in my very early teens, so even if clubs had existed I would have been underage
    I suspect most of us were underage so we were all restricted in some way.

I remember when the Motown fan clubs got together a cheapish deal for members to see the Supremes at the Talk of the Town in January 1968, I wasn't able to get that money together...£5, I think it was, was a mammoth amount of money for us back then. I remember seeing Stevie later and finding his latest single on sale at the venue and just not having the money to go to the concert AND buying the 45.

But I was able to get the info from the fan clubs and I bought some good priced 45's from there too. My first ever US Motown import 45 was bought from the 4 Tops fan club for just 1/6d...if you even know what that is! HAHA.

I've downloaded this Motown programme and the Lamont Dozier. They are each 2.5gb file. How can I send it to someone?

Do you have a Google Drive account? This permits very large file transfer. If you do, I'll send you the process. If not, there are various offerings such as Dropbox but they require paid subsciption. An alternative is to copy the video files to a usb drive or a storage card [[for example 32gb Sandisk card from Amazon £5.89) and mail it. Others might have alternatives

Thank you for your help. That's where I have them....google drive. Apparently, I can share the MP4's [[there are 2)...if I have an email address and....it works.

Correct......try it and let us know

Correct......try it and let us know
    It worked. Merci!

De rien. .

I’ve watched both of these now and enjoyed both, although they were quite different!

The Lamont tribute was more of a “Top of the Pops — Lamont Dozier edition” than anything else. Although there were a few random performances, and some I might have not personally included, I think the point was to showcase his long-lasting influence as a songwriter… to demonstrate the extent to which his work has been recorded over the years.

[ii]When Motown Came To Britain[/i] was great and very informative… it was especially great to hear the experiences of British fans who were there at the time.

The Lamont programme was a pretty average performance clips package of Dozier covers with a clip of Lamont himself tacked on the end,

However, the Motown in Britain docu was a wonderful original deep dive into Tamla Motown’s start. It captured those heady days when being in on this rare new music felt special. And it was good to see full props given to Dave Godin; his early influence is often forgotten. Mentioned by name by The Tempts, Supremes et al, even Berry Gordy himself on the Appreciation Society 45 in 1965 and remembered still today by Claudette in the programme. Interestingly, the docu omitted to mention Godin had warned Gordy the UK tour was too early and would struggle. But an amazing programme with some priceless footage: not least the Funk Bros on the bus!!!