[REMOVE ADS]

Never Leave Your Baby's Side mono single

I just acquired the 2013 singles collection of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Complete Singles Collection 1961-1969.

On that set, the song "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" has a different intro than what I [[think I) remember the actual single having, and what appears on the 90s mono Anthology CD. Which version is correct? I no longer have the single for reference. Were there two pressings? Did Motown screw up the Complete Singles CD?

I don't know to any other CD's that have got this song other than "The Complete Motown Singles" Vol-6 1966. I also have the records on Gordy 7048 1965. The sound quality is not very good compared to other records both on 45 & the TCMS set.
    If you want the sound file let me know & I can send you that

Attachment 20147

This thread might provide some info.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...+baby%27s+side

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I just acquired the 2013 singles collection of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Complete Singles Collection 1961-1969.
    I have this song on the 1993 Livewire: The Singles 1962-1972 and the 1996 Spectrum Early Motown Classics. Both CDs have the same mix. Cary Mansfield produced the Livewire set and was unaware that the selected mix wasn't the original. I provided him with a cassette to compare, but never received a response. I eventually gave up on being a completist and diverted the money to travel funds for a thriving photography business.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    I have this song on the 1993 Livewire: The Singles 1962-1972 and the 1996 Spectrum Early Motown Classics. Both CDs have the same mix. Cary Mansfield produced the Livewire set and was unaware that the selected mix wasn't the original. I provided him with a cassette to compare, but never received a response. I eventually gave up on being a completist and diverted the money to travel funds for a thriving photography business.
    Yeah, Most producers don't like to have mistakes pointed out. Most are pretty thin-skinned.

See, I do have the Livewire CD set, and I realized that I also have the TCMS Vol. 6, hence my question about the one on the Complete Singles 1961-1969 set.

It's just been since I was all of seven years old last time I heard the actual Gordy 45. That's why I wondered which is correct.

Thank you Reese, Nabob, and Graham for your responses.

UPDATE: I just listened to the YouTube video posted on the thread reese linked to. I also read the thread and realized that I do not have the corrected copy of the 50th Anniversary set.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-29-2022 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    UPDATE: I just listened to the YouTube video posted on the thread reese linked to. I also read the thread and realized that I do not have the corrected copy of the 50th Anniversary set.
    And even then, that 50th Anniversary set isn't QUITE exactly the same thing you got on the 45. This song getting onto a digital format in the same mix as the 45 has been one of the more frustrating matters for fans of it.

Staunton and Walker must have had the muddiest mixes anyway!