[REMOVE ADS]

‘Someday We’ll Be Together’: Diana Ross Says Farewell To The Supremes

Paul Sexton
    Tue, December 27, 2022

It was one of the great achievements in American chart history of the 1960s. Almost as celebrated as The Beatles’ achievement of 1964, when they had the entire top five of the Billboard Hot 100, is the renowned total of 12 US No.1 singles scored by the Supremes in less than five and a half years. On the chart of December 27, 1969, the Motown trio scored the last of them.

It was the end of a decade, the end of that sequence and the end of an era, as Diana Ross said farewell to the group with “Someday We’ll Be Together” — which, unbeknown to the public at the time, didn’t even feature the other Supremes.

The group first hit the top of the pop survey in the summer of 1964 with “Where Did Our Love Go,” and from that point on they scored chart-toppers with a regularity that was rivalled during the decade only by The Beatles. There were further No.1s that year with “Baby Love” and “Come See About Me”; three more in 1965, two in 1966, two in 1967 and one in 1968.

[[article continues here)

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...083455862.html

The last #1 of the 1960's.....pretty historic exit for the group all around.

For whatever reason, and I love Johnny Bristol's work, I just never liked SWBT.

Their farewell on Sullivan is almost comical. During the hit medley, as they go into I Hear A Symphony, Cindy has a little stumble on Diana's mike cord. Also, Cindy's face is still a little swollen from her kidnapping. And, to start thing off wrong, during the interview part with Sullivan as she talks about 60s music, Diana is clearly reading cue cards over Sullivan's shoulder which makes the entire segment seem ingenuous.

Then at the end of SWBT, Diana tries to make eye contact with Mary and Cindy. Neither gave it to her and just looked straight ahead into the camera as if to say "let's just get this over with."

My history with SWBT: In 1969, it didn’t sound like a Supremes record, single or album track. [Turns out it wasn’t ] I had no idea of backing vocalists other than Supremes. The male voice also was a little off-putting at first. I liked it after a couple of listens. It was sad to learn this was to be the swan song for DRATS. I gloried in it reaching #1.
    I watched Ed Sullivan and Hollywood Palace with much interest added with excitement for what lay ahead. Maybe that’s why I didn’t notice anything unusual or “almost comical”. I thought all three were beautiful.
    53 years later, I appreciate SWBT for what it is: beautiful, elegant swan song for the group and the decade. I understand why Diana Ross doesn’t perform it anymore. It is an essential on my desert island Supremes/Diana Ross playlists.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 12-27-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    For whatever reason, and I love Johnny Bristol's work, I just never liked SWBT.

Their farewell on Sullivan is almost comical. During the hit medley, as they go into I Hear A Symphony, Cindy has a little stumble on Diana's mike cord. Also, Cindy's face is still a little swollen from her kidnapping. And, to start thing off wrong, during the interview part with Sullivan as she talks about 60s music, Diana is clearly reading cue cards over Sullivan's shoulder which makes the entire segment seem ingenuous.

Then at the end of SWBT, Diana tries to make eye contact with Mary and Cindy. Neither gave it to her and just looked straight ahead into the camera as if to say "let's just get this over with."
    Your criticism seems to be more about the Supremes final performance on Sullivan and not the song itself. I love the song and played it continuously. I think it is magnificent and well arranged. It is one of my top five favorite songs of all time.

But I must admit that I was totally disappointed when I found out that two thirds of the Supremes were "Milli Vanilling" when they sang it on some TV shows. I had no idea that Cindy and Mary were not on the record. And in this lip sync appearance, they are even holding microphones.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    My history with SWBT: In 1969, it didn’t sound like a Supremes record, single or album track. [Turns out it wasn’t ] I had no idea of backing vocalists other than Supremes. The male voice also was a little off-putting at first. I liked it after a couple of listens. It was sad to learn this was to be the swan song for DRATS. I gloried in it reaching #1.
    I watched Ed Sullivan and Hollywood Palace with much interest added with excitement for what lay ahead. Maybe that’s why I didn’t notice anything unusual or “almost comical”. I thought all three were beautiful.
    53 years later, I appreciate SWBT for what it is: beautiful, elegant swan song for the group and the decade. I understand why Diana Ross doesn’t perform it anymore. It is an essential on my desert island Supremes/Diana Ross playlists.
    I share your feelings about the song . Except that I did take it as a Supremes song and was so happy that in their last few recordings they had turned up the microphones of Cindy and Mary. Little did I know Also, I enjoyed them singing side by side as a group, which was rare to see on many of their tv appearances

THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW

For reference, here are the performances from December 21, 1969:

The "interview"/conversation between Ed and Diana and then the Hits Medley

And then the performance of "Someday We'll Be Together"

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    To each their own, but I find a lot of meaning in those moments. Seems to me Diana looks genuinely wistful as she steals a glance at them both and I’ve never once thought Mary or Cindy was deliberately ignoring her. She’s standing a bit behind them and I just don’t think she’s in their eyelines. And then to have Diana walk away slowly on her own seems the perfect way to end the number…
    Last edited by ejluther; 12-27-2022 at 06:34 PM.

I seem to recall that some years ago Marv said that they lifted the background vocals from a Junior Walker and the All Stars recording that either had not been finished or that they were working on at that time. I seem to remember that nobody disputed with him concerning this...if this is true, why isn't it reported as such...its always written as though Mary and Cindy were deliberately shoved out of the way and other background singers were brought in.

One of my absolute favorite Supremes songs, and all time anything songs. From the intro to the ending I rank it among the absolute best ever released under the Supremes name.

Once the DRATS era was born, all too often, IMO, the group released mediocre singles, even if the songs were good or great on their own merit. [[Example: "The Composer". I love the song but think it was a horrible idea for a single.) While the Flo era, post "Lovelight", was chocked full of fantastic singles, the DRATS era only had four, IMO, and "Someday" is for me the crowning glory.

I play it often, at least once every week or two, and I usually have to listen to it a couple of times in a row when I do. Diana sounds great. She isn't doing too much. The song is so soulful that it would have been easy for her to attempt to do what Gladys Knight or Martha Reeves might have tried to do. I love the laidback tone. It adds to the sadness of it. The background singers bring the energy, and they sound absolutely fantastic. The combo between Diana's mellow and the background's energy is a perfect match. As a Supremes fan it always stings whenever a song has replacement vocalists, especially a great song, but truth is, I'm not convinced that Mary and Cindy would have given the song what it needed. Flo and Mary? Sure. When the two of them went full throttle, they could tear a song up. Mary and Cindy didn't possess that ability. As a combo they had their own strengths, but matching the energy level of the backing vocals we know and love would not have been one of them. So I'm cool with them sitting this one out. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    I seem to recall that some years ago Marv said that they lifted the background vocals from a Junior Walker and the All Stars recording that either had not been finished or that they were working on at that time. I seem to remember that nobody disputed with him concerning this...if this is true, why isn't it reported as such...its always written as though Mary and Cindy were deliberately shoved out of the way and other background singers were brought in.
    Marv used to say a lot of stuff in regards to the Supremes that was based on some unnamed source that more often than not turned out to be false [[when it was from the phantom source). This lifting of the background sounds like a non-truth. The fact is that after Florence left, there was not a pointed effort to release songs as singles with Mary and Cindy on them. [[Likewise, the Marvelettes and the Vandellas were dealing with the same thing in regards to being replaced.) No one knows why. Another fact is that "Someday" wasn't recorded for the Supremes, but instead for Diana, intended as her first solo single. With that in mind, it would have made no sense to have Mary and Cindy on it. Once the song was completed and Gordy got it in his mind that Diana needed a surefire hit to exit on, that's how it ended up credited to the Supremes. If Motown, i.e. Johnny Bristol, had thought Mary and Cindy were the extra something the song needed, he could have called them in to lay down backing vocals. He did not. Read into that what you will.

If I'm not mistaken, the Junior Walker tie in is that supposedly the track was cut and intended for him to record before it was decided to cut the song on Diana.

SWBT is a fabulous track. I wasn't aware of the Junior Walker tie in but it would make sense I think in view of Johnny Bristol's involvement. But Supremes or not, I love it. And it was, of course, another re-working of an old Johnny Bristol release [[Tri-Phi 1005).

Thanks RanRan, I was trying to remember if he said that the track was cut on Junior Walker or that the track was in process of being cut with the background done, I admit it is intriguing with Johnny Bristol's involvement with both groups and Motown lifting portions of one record to record with another artist. On this forum, I've heard that Someday was supposed to be Diana's first record as a solo, and I also heard that that was merely a rumor. It's a mystery...why would Motown on this particular record think that they don't want Mary/Cindy OR the Andantes...but let's bring in the Waters [[or the Blackberries)

Thanks RanRan, I was trying to remember if he said that the track was cut on Junior Walker or that the track was in process of being cut with the background done, I admit it is intriguing with Johnny Bristol's involvement with both groups and Motown lifting portions of one record to record with another artist. On this forum, I've heard that Someday was supposed to be Diana's first record as a solo, and I also heard that that was merely a rumor. It's a mystery...why would Motown on this particular record think that they don't want Mary/Cindy OR the Andantes...but let's bring in the Waters [[or the Blackberries)
    It's my understanding that the story of "Someday" intended for Diana's first solo release is fact. I could be wrong, but I think someone involved- Gordy perhaps- confirmed it in a book or article, or something. [[Reese, this is where you come in to save the day with your Supremes info we rely on so much.)

Now, before the song was assigned to Diana, it was apparently intended for Junior. If the track was cut and the backing vocals added, all it needed was Junior's vocal. When it was reassigned to Diana, well, all they needed was her vocal as the background vocals were already cut. As we know, the female groups were apparently expendable when it came to recording the lead vocalist. [[Even Flo and Mary recorded leads with the Andantes on background. Definitely one of the biggest mysteries of Motown, why they felt the female groups could use subs but the male groups, for the most part, did not.) So not having Mary and Cindy on "Someday" probably had nothing to do with anyone's thoughts about them, good or bad. It was just the way things happened. Of course, Motowners were no strangers to recording leads over "finished" tracks anyway. The Supremes version of "Any Girl In Love", for instance, is just Diana's voice recorded over the same exact track that Kim Weston recorded her lead on first. HDH didn't bother to have Flo and Mary recut the background and kept the Andantes on it instead.

Someday is one of the iconic songs for sure

If we go back to the early days of this forum and the old Motown Yahoo group that migrated here - I remember being told in those very early days by one of the people that were there - that the Supremes that we knew from 1964 to 1967 ended in 1968 and if people asked questions about who actually recorded certain songs, they would probably hear answers they didn’t like

And of course, it turned out to be true. But regardless songs like Someday and Love Child are classic and iconic and it doesn’t matter who sang with Diana or what track it started with etc

One of my favorite top 5 songs of all time. This song is absolutely perfect. IMO

And we disputed many of the things that Marv said, but he was may have been right about this. Supposedly, Johnny had the instrumental tracks and background vocals already complete for Jr Walker, but when Berry heard it, he wanted it for Diana's first solo album. So Mary and Cindy were not shoved off this record. It was never meant to be a Supremes record.

I guess when No Matter What Sign You Are turned into a dud, and flipping it over and remarketing the flip side The Young Folk, turned into a bigger dud, Berry wanted the group's swan song to be a number one hit and he thought that Someday was capable of doing the trick. He was right. It was their perfect swan song. And a perfect song and arrangement and vocal

There are so many different stories about the recording of Motown songs. I guess we have the right to pick and choose which version to believe
    Last edited by milven; 12-28-2022 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It's my understanding that the story of "Someday" intended for Diana's first solo release is fact. I could be wrong, but I think someone involved- Gordy perhaps- confirmed it in a book or article, or something. [[Reese, this is where you come in to save the day with your Supremes info we rely on so much.)

Now, before the song was assigned to Diana, it was apparently intended for Junior. If the track was cut and the backing vocals added, all it needed was Junior's vocal. When it was reassigned to Diana, well, all they needed was her vocal as the background vocals were already cut. As we know, the female groups were apparently expendable when it came to recording the lead vocalist. [[Even Flo and Mary recorded leads with the Andantes on background. Definitely one of the biggest mysteries of Motown, why they felt the female groups could use subs but the male groups, for the most part, did not.) So not having Mary and Cindy on "Someday" probably had nothing to do with anyone's thoughts about them, good or bad. It was just the way things happened. Of course, Motowners were no strangers to recording leads over "finished" tracks anyway. The Supremes version of "Any Girl In Love", for instance, is just Diana's voice recorded over the same exact track that Kim Weston recorded her lead on first. HDH didn't bother to have Flo and Mary recut the background and kept the Andantes on it instead.
    In the book for the Supremes' boxed set, Johnny Bristol is quoted as saying the track for SOMEDAY [background vocals and all] was cut for Junior Walker but he didn't want to do it. Johnny then thought of recording it himself. But when Berry heard the track, he suggested that it be cut on the Diana and the Supremes.

Berry played the completed track for Shelley Berger, saying it was going to be Diana's first solo release. But according to Berger, he convinced Berry to issue it under the Supremes' name instead.

I love this song.....Following the thread I've been trying to "hear in my head" how a Jr. Walker version of SWBT would sound. I just can't do it after listening to the Ross/Supremes version all my life! I love Jr but glad it was given to the Supremes!

Probably my favourite cover version of “Someday”is the duet featuring British soul singers Lemar & Joss Stone. It’s from Lemar’s rather excellent album of soul covers titled “The Letter”.
    Check it out......while you can.

Could they make her name ANY bigger than the Supremes? Shocked she allowed photos of Mary and Cindy. That woman is pure ego.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the book for the Supremes' boxed set, Johnny Bristol is quoted as saying the track for SOMEDAY [background vocals and all] was cut for Junior Walker but he didn't want to do it. Johnny then thought of recording it himself. But when Berry heard the track, he suggested that it be cut on the Diana and the Supremes.

Berry played the completed track for Shelley Berger, saying it was going to be Diana's first solo release. But according to Berger, he convinced Berry to issue it under the Supremes' name instead.
    Thanks Reese! I knew you had the receipts.

Now I'm wondering where my booklet is, here or in Philly. I haven't seen it in so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I love this song.....Following the thread I've been trying to "hear in my head" how a Jr. Walker version of SWBT would sound. I just can't do it after listening to the Ross/Supremes version all my life! I love Jr but glad it was given to the Supremes!
    I don't think one could ever imagine a song with Junior Walker without actually hearing Junior and him blowing his sax. I imagine if there is a version with Junior, we might all go "ahh, now I hear it" when we hear it.

If you recall, 1969 is about the time the label started pushing Junior in a more sophisticated soul direction. I imagine "Someday" was supposed to be further steps in that direction. Damn, now the more I think about it, the more I really wish there was a Junior version of "Someday". Lol I know it would have been good.

The official Motown Karaoke Singing Machine instrumental track for SWBT excludes Diana's lead vocal but includes backing singers and Johnny Bristol's interjections. Easier to imagine a Junior Walker sax and vocals laid on top of this - but such a shame we don't have his version too.

Someday could have been a perfect follow up to What Does It Take by Jr Walker, which was also produced by Bristol. What Does was completed in early 68 but not released as a single until early 69. it was a massive hit and so Someday could have been a perfect follow up. Maybe the version on the Supremes L&F with the organ intro would have been the approach.

What Does was sort of a buried single on Home Cookin' album. after it was a hit, they released a new album with this title. a cover of These Eyes ended up being the follow up single

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Someday could have been a perfect follow up to What Does It Take by Jr Walker, which was also produced by Bristol. What Does was completed in early 68 but not released as a single until early 69. it was a massive hit and so Someday could have been a perfect follow up. Maybe the version on the Supremes L&F with the organ intro would have been the approach.

What Does was sort of a buried single on Home Cookin' album. after it was a hit, they released a new album with this title. a cover of These Eyes ended up being the follow up single
    In his interview for THE MOTOWN STORY [1970] , Junior says that he avoided recorded WHAT DOES IT TAKE for a year before giving in.

I don't think one could ever imagine a song with Junior Walker without actually hearing Junior and him blowing his sax. I imagine if there is a version with Junior, we might all go "ahh, now I hear it" when we hear it.

If you recall, 1969 is about the time the label started pushing Junior in a more sophisticated soul direction. I imagine "Someday" was supposed to be further steps in that direction. Damn, now the more I think about it, the more I really wish there was a Junior version of "Someday". Lol I know it would have been good.
    I totally agree Ran.

This is one of my favourite Supremes songs too, btw.

Here is Jr Walker's version of "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You". This might give us an idea of what his version of "Someday..." might have sounded like.

The extended Someday We’ll Be Together by Mosogotom bring tears to my eyes every time I hear it and read the comment section. It is a masterpiece. It has 24m views.

A good song for the girls to end on......sad but very good.

Every version better than that lame cover by Bruce Springsteen that was just released.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Every version better than that lame cover by Bruce Springsteen that was just released.

I agree with Grace Slick; There comes an age when one should not embarrass oneself in rock roll.

Always loved this song.just a Classic.
    I remember reading Harvey wrote it for his wife after serving his country..
    He originally recorded the song with his group the Moonglows but it failed.
    He tucked it away to use it later, obviously it became the Supremes last hit with Diana .

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    Could they make her name ANY bigger than the Supremes? Shocked she allowed photos of Mary and Cindy. That woman is pure ego.
    someone is pure something, but it is not diana ross and it is not ego. Do you actually think she had anything to do with the look or the style or the font of the type of pictures sleeves around the world for every single that went out????? It’s New Year’s - Spit out the Kool-Aid!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    someone is pure something, but it is not diana ross and it is not ego. Do you actually think she had anything to do with the look or the style or the font of the type of pictures sleeves around the world for every single that went out????? It’s New Year’s - Spit out the Kool-Aid!
    If i didn't know better i would say Marv was back with us!

Marv reincarnated!