[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Thom Bell

Thom Bell

hi, is it true what Im hearing over the water..
    Died: 22 December 2022 [[aged 79)

Absolutely love his stuff with the Delfonics, Stylistics and the Spinners.
    Motown connection? His 1981 production of The Temptations self-titled album, and its sublime single Aiming At Your Heart, featuring a fab Richard Street lead

This breaks my heart in two. Of all the great TSOP producers, Thom has always been my favorite. Since the early '70s, I've made it a point to buy every one of his productions that I could get my hands on: The Stylistics, The Spinners, Johnny Mathis, Dionne Warwick, Ronnie Dyson, Phyllis Hyman, New York City, Denise Williams, The Temptations, Elton John, etc. Some of the sweetest music this side of Heaven was written by Thom Bell & the late, great Linda Creed. It's comforting to know that they'll be together again, creating Heavenly music.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Absolutely love his stuff with the Delfonics, Stylistics and the Spinners.
    Motown connection? His 1981 production of The Temptations self-titled album, and its sublime single Aiming At Your Heart, featuring a fab Richard Street lead
    One other Motown connection I can think of is his excellent songs that were covered on the Diana & Marvin album which gave Motown two much loved big hits in the UK. You Are Everything and Stop, Look, Listen To Your Heart.

Here is an unusual Thom Bell/Motown crossover that gets little attention.

It's The Same Old Love - The Courtship [Tamla 54217].
    [[Gene Allan, Gary Knight) Arranged by THOM BELL, produced by Knight & Allen in association with Jerry Ross Productions. Tamla 54217F [[1972).

An unusual Thom Bell/Motown Crossover, this came about because of a brief agreement between Berry Gordy and producer Jerry Ross, which also led to the Supremes & Temptations recording the Jerry Ross/Kenny Gamble-written "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". Lead singer Billy Hill [[aka Billy Proctor) had a voice strongly reminiscent of Little Anthony, which must have appealed to Bell. "It's The Same Old Love" picked up airplay on WGRT and WVON in Chicago, although that did not result into sales.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Here is an unusual Thom Bell/Motown crossover that gets little attention.

It's The Same Old Love - The Courtship [Tamla 54217].
    [[Gene Allan, Gary Knight) Arranged by THOM BELL, produced by Knight & Allen in association with Jerry Ross Productions. Tamla 54217F [[1972).

An unusual Thom Bell/Motown Crossover, this came about because of a brief agreement between Berry Gordy and producer Jerry Ross, which also led to the Supremes & Temptations recording the Jerry Ross/Kenny Gamble-written "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". Lead singer Billy Hill [[aka Billy Proctor) had a voice strongly reminiscent of Little Anthony, which must have appealed to Bell. "It's The Same Old Love" picked up airplay on WGRT and WVON in Chicago, although that did not result into sales.
    Woodward, Jerry Ross also had a record contract with Motown under which he released an album on Motown proper billed as the Jerry Ross Symposium. [[See link below) The album contains an easy-listening [[Ray Conniff Singers-ish) version of "It's The Same Old Love".

JERRY ROSS SYMPOSIUM [[Motown LP Photo)
    https://images.app.goo.gl/Q7NVMmVQoFbNzSfn9

JERRY ROSS SYMPOSIUM *
    'It's The Same Old Love"
    https://youtu.be/o_WGKpxuBCQ

THE COURTSHIP ^^
    "It's The Same Old Love" [[A-Side Tamla 45)
    https://youtu.be/sS6vt6mR14g

THE COURTSHIP ^^
    "Last Row, First Balcony" [[B-Side Tamla 45)
    https://youtu.be/l5YEqPto3hA

NOTE: All of the above were released on CD:

^ Jerry Ross Symposium [[Sequel CD)
    ** Courtship A & B sides [[Complete Motown Singles - Vol. 12A: 1972) CD Box Set
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-26-2022 at 07:48 PM.