[REMOVE ADS]

William Bell-"The Man In The Street-The Complete Yellow Stax Singles" [2/24/2023-Ace]

Info from Ace Records-
    Having anthologized the early Stax singles of legendary soul man William Bell in the acclaimed collection “Never Like This Before” in 2022, Ace is delighted to follow up with the second volume of Bell’s solo singles for the label.
    Its predecessor featured the A and B sides of every one of Bell’s 45s as originally issued on the blue Stax label between 1960 and early 1968. “The Man In The Street” does the same for every solo 45 that this well respected southern soul man released between late 1968 and early 1974, after the company had changed its label colour to yellow and rebuilt its catalogue from scratch.
    Bell stayed with Stax almost until the label’s final demise in 1975. In the period covered by this collection he released some of his best known and best loved recordings, including his biggest Stax hit ‘I Forgot To Be Your Lover’ and long-time fan favourites ‘My Whole World Is Falling Down’, ‘Happy’ and his own version of his classic composition ‘Born Under A Bad Sign’.

All of those are featured here, along with 20 more tracks of comparable calibre.
    As was the case with “Never Like This Before”, “The Man In The Street” offers the first all-embracing and chronological account of Bell’s solo activity during the period it covers. Extensive sleeve notes and a label shot for literally every recording featured herein seal the deal on a truly significant collection.

• 01 I Forgot To Be Your Lover
    • 02 Bring The Curtain Down
    • 03 My Whole World Is Falling Down
    • 04 All God's Children Got Soul
    • 05 Happy
    • 06 My Kind Of Girl
    • 07 Born Under A Bad Sign
    • 08 A Smile Can't Hide [[A Broken Heart)
    • 09 Lonely Soldier
    • 10 Let Me Ride
    • 11 A Penny For Your Thoughts
    • 12 ‘Till My Back Ain't Got No Bone
    • 13 All For The Love Of A Woman
    • 14 I'll Be Home
    • 15 Save Us
    • 16 If You Really Love Him
    • 17 Lovin' On Borrowed Time
    • 18 The Man In The Street
    • 19 I've Got To Go On Without You
    • 20 You've Got The Kind Of Love I Need
    • 21 Gettin' What You Got [[Losin' What You Had)
    • 22 All I Need Is Your Love
    • 23 Get It While It's Hot
    • 24 Nobody Walks Away From Love Unhurt
    • William Bell - The Man In The Street - The Complete 'Yellow' Stax Singles - Ace Records

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Info from Ace Records-
    Having anthologized the early Stax singles of legendary soul man William Bell in the acclaimed collection “Never Like This Before” in 2022, Ace is delighted to follow up with the second volume of Bell’s solo singles for the label.
    Its predecessor featured the A and B sides of every one of Bell’s 45s as originally issued on the blue Stax label between 1960 and early 1968. “The Man In The Street” does the same for every solo 45 that this well respected southern soul man released between late 1968 and early 1974, after the company had changed its label colour to yellow and rebuilt its catalogue from scratch.
    Bell stayed with Stax almost until the label’s final demise in 1975. In the period covered by this collection he released some of his best known and best loved recordings, including his biggest Stax hit ‘I Forgot To Be Your Lover’ and long-time fan favourites ‘My Whole World Is Falling Down’, ‘Happy’ and his own version of his classic composition ‘Born Under A Bad Sign’.

All of those are featured here, along with 20 more tracks of comparable calibre.
    As was the case with “Never Like This Before”, “The Man In The Street” offers the first all-embracing and chronological account of Bell’s solo activity during the period it covers. Extensive sleeve notes and a label shot for literally every recording featured herein seal the deal on a truly significant collection.

• 01 I Forgot To Be Your Lover
    • 02 Bring The Curtain Down
    • 03 My Whole World Is Falling Down
    • 04 All God's Children Got Soul
    • 05 Happy
    • 06 My Kind Of Girl
    • 07 Born Under A Bad Sign
    • 08 A Smile Can't Hide [[A Broken Heart)
    • 09 Lonely Soldier
    • 10 Let Me Ride
    • 11 A Penny For Your Thoughts
    • 12 ‘Till My Back Ain't Got No Bone
    • 13 All For The Love Of A Woman
    • 14 I'll Be Home
    • 15 Save Us
    • 16 If You Really Love Him
    • 17 Lovin' On Borrowed Time
    • 18 The Man In The Street
    • 19 I've Got To Go On Without You
    • 20 You've Got The Kind Of Love I Need
    • 21 Gettin' What You Got [[Losin' What You Had)
    • 22 All I Need Is Your Love
    • 23 Get It While It's Hot
    • 24 Nobody Walks Away From Love Unhurt
    • William Bell - The Man In The Street - The Complete 'Yellow' Stax Singles - Ace Records

Loved the first volume and i am looking forward to this one too!

First question........Are each of these available as physical CDs?

Second question......Would someone be willing to post a clip of one or two of the better songs since some of us [[I think I mean ME!) might only know Trying to Love Two and not much more of William's material?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

Second question......Would someone be willing to post a clip of one or two of the better songs since some of us [[I think I mean ME!) might only know Trying to Love Two and not much more of William's material?
    The first volume has been available on cd since it's release earlier this year and vol.2 will also be a physical release.

Sure Dave; check out William Bell's "I Forgot To Be Your Lover" from 1968. PS: As Bluebrock pointed out, both of Ace's William Bell collections are both available on CD.

Another classic from William Bell; his moving tribute to Otis Redding "A Tribute To A King".

Check this one out; "Eloise [Hang On In There]".

His first [[Blue Stax) album. Some tracks on here which are not on the singles vol. 1

Last edited by Stax_of_Motown; 12-22-2022 at 11:32 AM.

With Carla Thomas.

With Judy Clay

Last edited by Stax_of_Motown; 12-22-2022 at 11:43 AM.