[REMOVE ADS]

HDH Talk About Working With the Supremes & Others

That was an interesting interview. When I first heard YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON in the mid sixties, I said that the sound effects in it sounded like a Walter Winchell broadcast. No one agreed with me, they looked at me oddly and with confusion, but then, by the mid sixties, most people did not know or had forgotten who Winchell was.

So to me, almost sixty years later, it was interesting to hear Lamont Dozier say in this interview that when he listens to HANGIN ON that it reminds him of Walter Winchell.

Thank you Lamont. Now if I can find those people from sixty years ago and show them this video, maybe they'll stop staring at me oddly

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That was an interesting interview. When I first heard YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON in the mid sixties, I said that the sound effects in it sounded like a Walter Winchell broadcast. No one agreed with me, they looked at me oddly and with confusion, but then, by the mid sixties, most people did not know or had forgotten who Winchell was.

So to me, almost sixty years later, it was interesting to hear Lamont Dozier say in this interview that when he listens to HANGIN ON that it reminds him of Walter Winchell.

Thank you Lamont. Now if I can find those people from sixty years ago and show them this video, maybe they'll stop staring at me oddly

I was a kid in the 70s when I heard it, and I didn't really know about Walter Winchell at the time BUT I did immediately think of that did-dit-dit/SOS news sounder effect. You knew what you were talking about but as it says in the Bible, a prophet is never honored in his hometown!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-20-2022 at 12:30 AM.

I STILL am dumbfounded by how these guys could take the most elementary, direct phrases - sometimes they were as simple as a "Moon June" cliche, other times, the phrases were almost like nursery rhymes in their economy - and yet their songs had impact that hit like an iron fist to the face. "This old heart of mine been broke a thousand times"; "I've cried through many endless nights just holding my pillow tight".The lyrics look simple but somehow the emotion ends up being incredible powerful. Nobody else has or ever will be able to do what these guys did.

OK 'interview' but i wish we had more experts [[including some of those on this website) asking explicit questions before some of these legends pass.

eg - NOT 'what is HDH's favourite Supremes song?" but 'How did '[Back in My Arms come about? It's rare to hear a song mentioning two members in the lyrics."

"I Hear A Symphony" is my favorite HDH song.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    OK 'interview' but i wish we had more experts [[including some of those on this website) asking explicit questions before some of these legends pass.

eg - NOT 'what is HDH's favourite Supremes song?" but 'How did '[Back in My Arms come about? It's rare to hear a song mentioning two members in the lyrics."
    yeah i think most of us would agree. we've all heard the basic stories so many times and are more interested in deeper behind the scenes content and stories. there's been some of that in the EE booklets. some is from fans sharing their personal discussions with the key players. unfortunately there's often such extreme personal feelings regarding the people and music that some fans can't be objective. if they hear that so-and-so find Song A to be their favorite and Song B to be one they never really liked, then there's all sorts of drama.

With everyone aging, many people passing, and I believe a growing respect for Motown and Diana Ross overall, I think some of the overzealousness might be receding - if we are lucky.

Has any music journalist asked HDH what things were like the last year that they worked with the Supremes. Did HDH pick up on any tension between F, M and D? What were they told on the record/off the record why Florence kept missing recording sessions. What if anything did they pick up about the group while producing them? Could they see Florence's departure coming before it actually happened?

my understanding is that they've mostly stayed away from the problems. obviously they were working closely with the girls, were there the times flo was a no-show, knew of/saw the tension and problems. but in general i've not really seen anything in terms of quotes, stories or anecdotes.

there have been some general comments on how diana really did have a unique voice and a very commercial voice. they've talked about how all three were very talented, how they enjoyed working more with Mary in 76 on HE and the rest as they hadn't had as much time in the 60s.