[REMOVE ADS]

Jim Britt - photographs - Jimmy Webb / Motown

The "Farewell" thread prompted me to do a little digging on the "Jimmy Webb" LP., specifically the photos.

The photographer credited on the back of the album is Jim Britt. I ASSUME that's only the "candid" photos of JML and JML with Jimmy.

Jim photographed many Motown stars in the 1970's, but oddly, The Supremes aren't represented on his website.

http://jimbrittphoto.com/wordpress/motown/

Jim also appears to have worked with both "Dianna" and Marvin solo, as well as being responsible for the photos on "Diana and Marvin".

http://jimbrittphoto.com/wordpress/m...ye-diana-ross/

There is a photo from the Floy Joy cover sessions here, but nothing with Jimmy Webb :

http://jimbrittphoto.com/wordpress/v...ounted-prints/

Wow! Those boots on Lynda.

Here's another Jim Britt shot of the Supremes. This time JMC.

https://classic.motown.com/story/story-behind-image-5/

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Wow! Those boots on Lynda.
    there are a few other FJ shots from this session where you can see her boots like that. and others were you can't. i wonder if they were photo edited out, maybe viewed as a bit too sassy lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there are a few other FJ shots from this session where you can see her boots like that. and others were you can't. i wonder if they were photo edited out, maybe viewed as a bit too sassy lol
    Very chic' for the 70's. Lynda certainly brought a youthfulness to the group when she joined.

We've beat this horse before, but this is the lineup where the TCBs should have been packed away, and the group should have went for a more contemporary look.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Very chic' for the 70's. Lynda certainly brought a youthfulness to the group when she joined.

We've beat this horse before, but this is the lineup where the TCBs should have been packed away, and the group should have went for a more contemporary look.
    Very true - but it seems like money started to be an issue and they went in the opposite direction

it was definitely a time of flux.

at the start of 72, the group had just had a hit, although i'd still label it a semi hit. FJ did sell a million but only got to 16 on the charts. so it helped but it didn't necessarily put them back on top

Then Cindy leaves

Then motown decides to team the girls up with a tour with the Temps. Temps were super hot and the hope was some of that would rub off on the girls

the girls tried some new fashions to evolve with the times - the floral print gowns from LA with the Temps, the chiffon Kate Smith gowns. a few others

motown did the unthinkable and hired an outside producer. one that was part of the huge "singer/songwriter" trend.

the act was redone and a lot of the DRATS content brought back. i guess they thought the more current material wasn't clicking so lets go back to something that did work.

and all of this happened in just 8 months. that's a crazy amount of change and flux for any group