[REMOVE ADS]

I Wanna Dance With Somebody The Movie: Whitney New Classic and Reimagined CD

Thanks Jack. I checked out this digital release yesterday and it was a mixed bag for me...mostly a lot of duds. I didn't care for the remixes and reworked tracks featuring new artists. I was hoping to at least enjoy the few reworked unreleased tracks, but even those fell short for me. Going from memory here, I seem to remember liking the Darkchild film mix of Don't Cry For Me, which was good because it sounded the closest to Whitney's original live arrangement of this song. I also love that Moment of Truth, the b-side only track, has finally been reissued on this compilation, since it's never been on CD or digital form, until now.

I also have mixed feelings about the movie but I plan to go see it on one of the early preview screenings they're having here, on Thursday. I'm hoping that I will like it. I might need to bring some tissues with me.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks Jack. I checked out this digital release yesterday and it was a mixed bag for me...mostly a lot of duds. I didn't care for the remixes and reworked tracks featuring new artists. I was hoping to at least enjoy the few reworked unreleased tracks, but even those fell short for me. Going from memory here, I seem to remember liking the Darkchild film mix of Don't Cry For Me, which was good because it sounded the closest to Whitney's original live arrangement of this song. I also love that Moment of Truth, the b-side only track, has finally been reissued on this compilation, since it's never been on CD or digital form, until now.

I also have mixed feelings about the movie but I plan to go see it on one of the early preview screenings they're having here, on Thursday. I'm hoping that I will like it. I might need to bring some tissues with me.
    I largely agree with your assessment, carlo. And not to quibble, but "Moment of Truth" appeared for the first time on CD [IINM] on the maxi-CD single of "Exhale [Shoop Shoop]."

Thanks sansradio! And yes, you're right that Moment of Truth was on that release!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I largely agree with your assessment, carlo. And not to quibble, but "Moment of Truth" appeared for the first time on CD [IINM] on the maxi-CD single of "Exhale [Shoop Shoop]."

Yep. The one we're missing is "Feels So Good" the b-side of the "I'm Your Baby Tonight" single. I have not found on CD or digital. I digitized from vinyl but would love to get a better quality copy.

I managed to catch an early screening of the movie yesterday afternoon. It was good! They did a great job with balancing her story really well. The actress who played her did a good job. I think most people will enjoy it. I appreciated that it focused more on her talent than on her troubles. They showed everything they needed to, without going too far. It was a respectful portrayal, in my opinion. I honestly can't say I was blown away. I didn't feel like I was watching Whitney on the screen [unlike when I've watched other biopics], but maybe that is due to me being a huge Whitney fan and watching it with critical eyes? Naomi Ackie got her mannerisms down, and did well with the acting overall, and did a bit of her own singing as well. It met my expectations. Stanley Tucci as Clive was completely believable.
    Last edited by carlo; 12-23-2022 at 09:18 AM.

I managed to catch an early screening of the movie yesterday afternoon. It was good! They did a great job with balancing her story really well. The actress who played her did a good job. I think most people will enjoy it. I appreciated that it focused more on her talent than on her troubles. They showed everything they needed to, without going too far. It was a respectful portrayal, in my opinion. I honestly can't say I was blown away. I didn't feel like I was watching Whitney on the screen [unlike when I've watched other biopics], but maybe that is due to me being a huge Whitney fan and watching it with critical eyes? Naomi Ackie got her mannerisms down, and did well with the acting overall, and did a bit of her own singing as well. It met my expectations. Stanley Tucci as Clive was completely believable.
    I agree with your review. I thought the film was mostly well-done but for me, there was always a bit of sadness lingering over it because I knew how the story was going to end. Whitney is probably the only one of my real faves that I knew of from the inception of their career to the end. I witnessed both her highs and her lows so I am probably more critical. But in the end, I think the film presented a well-rounded portrait of Whitney.

But even at more than 2 hours, there was only so much they could show. The film is very fast-paced. She goes from signing with Clive to being the biggest thing in the world. But you don't quite grasp it. For instance, they don't really show just how big THE BODYGUARD and I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU were.

That said, Naomi Ackie did a great job portraying Whitney but I have to admit that physically, she reminded me more of Brandy. Stanley Tucci was spot on as Clive, and I thought Tamara Tunie did well as Cissy.

Thanks Reese! I totally agree with your review as well. I also felt that they weren't able to take the time to establish how huge her success was. There really was no mention of how big the sales were for her first album, and for other points in her career. The timeline was a little out of sequence toward the second half of the movie, but I understand why they needed to do it that way, for the sake of time [ie. They depicted/merged her two world tours together into a single moment, which was done in an interesting way, since they blended costume and set elements from both tours in that one scene]. I am appreciative that they took the time to visually recreate different things, like her music videos. I also totally agree that Naomi Ackie resembles Brandy. The same thought came to me, as I was watching the film.

I understand Clive Davis was involved in this production. Does the movie tackle Whitney being booed at the Soul train awards, which was motivated in part to how Clive Davis and Arista was pushing her hard to cross over and do Adult Contemporary ballads like Where Do Broken Hearts go and Didn't We Almost Have it All?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I understand Clive Davis was involved in this production. Does the movie tackle Whitney being booed at the Soul train awards, which was motivated in part to how Clive Davis and Arista was pushing her hard to cross over and do Adult Contemporary ballads like Where Do Broken Hearts go and Didn't We Almost Have it All?
    I haven't seen it yet, but have heard that it does.

Here's a thoughtful review [with spoilers] from a vlogger who largely agrees with the opinions posted above:

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    They did show the Soul Train incident. When she arrived at the event, there was a crowd outside and some were holding signs that said "Whitney 'Whitey' Houston." After the awards, there was a scene showing her parents comforting her and telling her that the first one over the hill is always going to be criticized. There was also a scene of an interview where a disc jockey asked Whitney to respond to charges that she sang "white."

Hi!

The music was great - naturally, because it was Whitney's voice; and Naomi portrayed Whitney well.
    I only wish they'd have used a more experienced [[in drama) director, because now some scenes were incredibly cliched and even dragged out.
    Again, this film creates the image of Clive Davis being the one, who discovered Whitney. He made her a star - that's indisputable - but her voice appeared on other producers' records as early as five years prior to meeting with Clive.
    But all in all, I'd recommend this movie to all Whitney fans... and other music lovers, as well.

Best regards
    Heikki

For those who may be interested, this soundtrack is now available for pre-order as a limited edition 2 CD set, available exclusively from Whitney's online store. It ships on August 9th...

https://boutique.whitneyhouston.com/...=109024_109606

For those who may be interested, this soundtrack is now available for pre-order as a limited edition 2 CD set, available exclusively from Whitney's online store. It ships on August 9th...

https://boutique.whitneyhouston.com/...=109024_109606
    Thanks for sharing this info.