[REMOVE ADS]

New Trailer For ‘Spinning Gold’ The Rise Of Casablanca Records Movie

Below is the trailer of SPINNING GOLD , a new film. which chronicles the rise of Casablanca Records, the influential label launched by Neil Bogart. The film is set for release of 31st March, 2023,

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...223443002.html

Looking 4ward to seeing this, one of my favorite dance labels.

Thanks for sharing the trailer to the upcoming doc on Casablanca Records. Looking forward to seeing it when it comes out.

"Motown actually put a hit on us"? That right there is enough of a reason for me to watch this!

Looking forward to seeing but not happy with Ledisi being cast as Gladys Knight. As in the Mahalia Jackson movie she seemed to act like Ledisi. I would have loved to have seen Kelly Rowland as Donna Summer, who ironically played an amazing Gladys on the "American Soul" series

very poor casting . 70s donna was not overweight
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-23-2022 at 04:41 PM.

The chapter that was written about Casablanca Records in a book which I think was called “Hit Men” was a fascinating study of 1980s excess, fascinating and sad at the same time. I still think they had some of the greatest album cover designs, most of which were done by a company called Gribbitt! This could be a very interesting movie if it’s written and cast well.

On a sidenote, I wasn’t aware the Isley brothers ever recorded for Casablanca! Or Gladys Knight for that matter. Although I think Neil Bogart had a lot to do with Buddha records before he formed Casablanca, so maybe that’s where the reference comes from.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-24-2022 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    The chapter that was written about Casablanca Records in a book which I think was called “Hit Men” was a fascinating study of 1980s excess, fascinating and sad at the same time. I still think they had some of the greatest album cover designs, most of which were done by a company called Gribbitt! This could be a very interesting movie if it’s written and cast well.

On a sidenote, I wasn’t aware the Isley brothers ever recorded for Casablanca! Or Gladys Knight for that matter. Although I think Neil Bogart had a lot to do with Buddha records before he formed Casablanca, so maybe that’s where the reference comes from.
    There was plenty of excess in the industry in the seventies and eighties and Casablanca was no exception. Johnny Carson was presented a gold record on the Tonight Show days after the release of HERES JOHNNY: MAGIC MOMENTS FROM THE TONIGHT SHOW. Casablanca had sent tons of free product out to retailers and they counted them as sales. Eventually, the unsold purchased product and free product was returned to Casablanca and the famous industry joke was that Casablanca "shipped the LP Gold and it was returned Platinum."

I don't remember the Isleys recording for Casablanca either. As for Gladys, I think she is referenced because of her association with Neil at Buddah. However, the Pips did record two albums on their own while they were going through legal problems with the labels.

n 1977 complex legal maneuvers began between Motown, Buddah, Gladys Knight and the Pips, and Columbia Records, where the family foursome was attempting to move. The result was that Gladys was not able to record with the Pips.

Instead, the group recorded two LP’s [[with no chart singles) for Casablanca and Gladys did one solo album for Buddah. In 1980 they reunited on Columbia and hit with “Landlord” [[#46 Pop, #3 R&B), but through 1986 only “Save the Overtime [[For Me)” [[#66 Pop, #1 R&B) and its accompanying gold LP did well for them.

In 1986 the group switched to MCA and came up with their biggest record since the 12-year-old “The Way We Were” medley with “Love Overboard” [[#13 Pop, #1 R&B) showing they’d lost none of their class, polish, or hitmaking ability.

After 58 R&B charters and 41 trips up the Pop Top 100 ladder, Gladys Knight and the Pips, one of soul’s worthiest successes, continued to turn out quality music in performance and on record.

– Jay Warner

I bought that TONIGHT SHOW album many years after its release. I think some of the performances on it aren't even from the show. I know that Judy Garland's THE MAN THAT GOT AWAY was actually taken from her Carnegie Hall album.

Re the Isleys and Neil, I think their label T-NECK was distributed by Buddah before moving to CBS.
    Last edited by reese; 12-25-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Re the Isleys and Neil, I think their label T-NECK was distributed by Buddah before moving to CBS.
    Yes, you're right. I forgot all about that. Distribution of labels changed constantly in those days, but in my mind, I guess that I always associated T-NECK with Sony. Thanks.

Thanks for the additional information guys. I always know someone here will have the answer.

Jeremy Jordan has pipes. I expect he doesn't sing in the movie.

I loved most of Casablanca's music, I enjoyed the book, and I'm excited about the movie! But the voice of the actress portraying Donna Summer has gotta go. She sounds nothing like Donna, nor anywhere near Donna's vocal quality.

I find it hard to believe that Motown would put out a hit-man contract on anyone at Casablanca Records -- especially while the Four Tops were recording there [["When She Was My Girl"). The Casablanca book never mentioned any such nonsense, either.

BTW, I'm not into theatre, so I wasn't at all familiar with Jeremy Jordan [[above), but damn! He's really good. And comical, too!

I'm looking forward to this movie more than I was looking forward to that dreadful book on Casablanca. And Party Every Day was complete BS. They gave very little to no love to Parliament, one of the biggest acts on Casablanca along with piss.....I mean kiss and Donna Summer. That book is worthless. We'll see what happens with the movie. I like the fact that they used the son of P-Funk guitarist Garry Shider to play his dad. That at least is proper.

Parlet and Parliament. On Casablanca Record and Filmworks.
    Name:  casablanca.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  98.3 KB

Do That Stuff, just do that stuff!
    Name:  radio.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  stuff.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  deep.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  96.3 KB

Larry Harris' book was a disappointment, but not his fault as his focus at Casablanca was running the rock leg of the company. At least he wrote a book telling what he could from that angle before he died .... sure wish Cecil Holmes would do the same ...

^^ Fun covers and the Parliament logo has always been a fave ......

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Larry Harris' book was a disappointment, but not his fault as his focus at Casablanca was running the rock leg of the company. At least he wrote a book telling what he could from that angle before he died .... sure wish Cecil Holmes would do the same ...

You're absolutely correct. Cecil's book would put Larry's book to total shame.

That's probably the reason why the tax write off band Angel got so much attention in both that book and the DVD Inside The Casbah.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk1 View Post
    That's probably the reason why the tax write off band Angel got so much attention in both that book and the DVD Inside The Casbah.
    hee hee yes ... Angel - seven albums and yet , who?????

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk1 View Post
    Parlet and Parliament. On Casablanca Record and Filmworks.
    Name:  casablanca.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  98.3 KB
    I still have all my Parliament-Funkadelic albums including all these! Parlet was my favorite of the spin off groups!

hee hee yes ... Angel - seven albums and yet , who?????
    I think they were the opening act for Kiss, who helped promote them. Their albums seem to be collectors items these days.

I think they were the opening act for Kiss, who helped promote them. Their albums seem to be collectors items these days.
    Nope, they're not. Their albums sell for regular prices. Even Japanese pressings don't go for that much.
    ANGEL HELLUVA BAND CASABLANCA VIP6323 JAPAN PROMO OBI VINYL LP | eBay

I still have all my Parliament-Funkadelic albums including all these! Parlet was my favorite of the spin off groups!
    All of the Parliament albums from Chocolate City to Gloryhallastoopid are all sealed originals.