[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes vs. The Mamas and the Papas

Both recorded "My Heart Stood Still" - The Mamas and the Papas in 1966 and The Supremes in1967.

Any preference?

[[Sorry, I do not know how to upload from Youtube. Maybe someone more tech savvy can upload both versions. Thanks)

It's the Supremes version for me. Although I do wish Mary and Flo were mixed a little louder.

Now if we were talking the Shirelles Dedicated to the One I Love...Mamas and Papas no questions asked

The Supremes all the way for me. The song really brings out the actress in Diana’s voice.
    In comparison i find the M&P version slightly dull around the edges.

Last edited by Ollie9; 12-16-2022 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Now if we were talking the Shirelles Dedicated to the One I Love...Mamas and Papas no questions asked
    It's the Temprees version for me. Kills me every time.

here ya go circa

too short

over drummed

I think The Supremes' version firmly took the song into a Motown Sound direction on which sounded great [and they included that "signature" Motown sax in the middle!]. I agree with floyjoy678 that Mary and Flo should have been mixed a little louder, but... this song sounds pure Motown--and yet it's far from it!

With that said, The Mamas and The Papas did the exact same thing--they took the song and put it firmly into THEIR sound with their signature harmonies, what made people say, "that's the Ms & Ps!" I think they did a great job with it.

Putting them up against one another--which one would I like to listen to any time, over and over...? Well, The Supremes, of course.

Can't really compare them as they sound so completely different.

One of my dearest friends [[RIP) loved and idolized Cass Elliott the same way I loved Diana Ross. I thus learned a lot about Cass including her great love for Denny Doherty, and her great anguish when Denny slept with Michelle. Of course, John Phillips was also equally anguished because he was married to Michelle. This affair inspired John to write the hit I Saw Her Again.

Group drama led to their breakup after recording only five albums.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-16-2022 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    One of my dearest friends [[RIP) loved and idolized Cass Elliott the same way I loved Diana Ross. I thus learned a lot about Cass including her great love for Denny Doherty, and her great anguish when Denny slept with Michelle. Of course, John Phillips was also equally anguished because he was married to Michelle. This affair inspired John to write the hit I Saw Her Again.

She did possess a lovely voice Circa.

The Mamas & Papas were probably the superior group as they [[mainly through John) wrote most of their hits and interpreted many classics into contemporary hits.

Both groups had enough drama to make into a great movie though - and I would look forward to both.

You just made me think of something I hadn't thought about in a long time. One time when driving up into Laurel Canyon I stopped at the country store there and while there, I asked if they had a bathroom. The fellow directed me to the back and outside down a flight of wooden stairs. He told me, by the way, when Cass Elliot lived downstairs that was her bathroom. It was small and quaint in a pre-codes-for-everything way and I remember the specialness of imagining Mama Cass routinely washing her hands in that very sink.

{I'm kind of remembering commenting looking down the steep stairs and saying wow that's quite a journey to the bathroom, and him saying well its for the room down there where Cass Elliot lived.}
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-18-2022 at 05:15 PM.

The M&P were clever too. Another R/Hart song they performed on that TV special was 'Here in My Arms'.

When they were running short of material for an upcoming album, John took the backing track for that song and wrote new lyrics which the group recorded as 'No Salt on Her Tail'.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    The M&P were clever too. Another R/Hart song they performed on that TV special was 'Here in My Arms'.

When they were running short of material for an upcoming album, John took the backing track for that song and wrote new lyrics which the group recorded as 'No Salt on Her Tail'.
    No Salt On Her Tail is one my my favorites. There was an old wives tale that is you put salt on a birds tail, it could not fly away. John wrote, “No salt on her tail and no cage to make her stay.” I wish I knew how to upload that gem. Brilliant harmonies!!

For me its the Mamas and Papas version, the one that I know best.
    Together with the Supremes they are my all time favorite group.
    All their albums are great, still looking for a original copy for a nice price of this one:
    The Mamas and The Papas "Ultimate Anthology" 4 CD

No Salt On Her Tail is one my my favorites.

I wish I knew how to upload that gem. Brilliant harmonies!!

For those wishing to compare these songs -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PiknJ9stg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHMwE250zg

The Mama and The Papas by a mile. The Supremes version is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    The Mama and The Papas by a mile. The Supremes version is horrible.
    I agree. The Mamas and the Papas by a country mile. However, when the Rogers and Hart album came out, I loved the Supremes version. Sadly, it did not age well in my book while The Mamas and the Papas version remains glorious. The Supremes were Diana Ross, and The Mamas and Papas were John, Denny, Cass and Michelle. That foursome had a sound that could not be touched.

I had actually not seen the whole Rodgers & Hart special until tonight when I watched:

and

Also never realised until watching it that Quincey Jones & Bob Mackie were both involved in the production.

Did The Mamas And The Papas avoid singing live on television? Or do their fans just overdub the studio recordings onto the TV visuals for YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Did The Mamas And The Papas avoid singing live on television?
    They sang some songs live on Shindig when the first started out. They did live background vocals for other artists on that particular shows too.