[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers

The tunes including The Vancouvers sound as if it was themselves backing and possibly live recordings. Any background info into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post
    The tunes including The Vancouvers sound as if it was themselves backing and possibly live recordings. Any background info into this?
    It's so funny you mention this because only a few weeks ago I listened to their 1968 Motown debut lp from start to finish which I had not done for years and years. The single releases were the only good tracks on that lp. Usually when Motown debuted a new act, their first album was always fantastic with producers competing to get a hit on them. Just listen to Gladys's Everybody Needs Love or Jr's Shotgun lp and especially the first Supremes and Miracles lps featuring Jean Terrell and Billy Griffin. Those lps had so many tracks that could have gone out as singles.

But Bobby's lp just seemed thrown together. As far as the backing vocals they sounded generic to me. It could have been the Vancouvers, we really don't know how they sounded or it just as easily could have been the Spinners or the Originals who did tons of uncredited backing vocals back then. Bobby Taylor was difficult to deal with as I have learned so it's possible that Motown was just letting him bide his time there. Malinda should have been a big hit. His solo Oh Lordy is also a lost hit.

I agree that the Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers album does not have the" Motown Sound". I've always attributed this to the musicians and the backing vocals are all by the group. No Funk Brothers nor added vocals. Discogs credits would confirm this to be the case. The sound is more sparse and less polished than the usual Motown recordings. Berry was the producer, and the material included composers such as Smokey and Warren Moore, Whitfield & Strong, Ashford & Simpson, and Berry. So excellent material, highly experienced producer, but the sound is raw and I think that can only be down to the unpolished instrumentation.

I think some tracks are Bobby Taylor..solo...with Funk Bros and The Originald probably
    Othets are the Vancouvers Band ie no studio backing tracks and traditional Motown.
    So this is love , Does your mama, I am your man, Malinda and One Girl are great IMO...the others so so.

Name:  Bobby-Taylor-and-the-Vancouvers-2.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  43.6 KB

In a recording session at Motown, playing their lead guitar and bass guitar.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-12-2022 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I think some tracks are Bobby Taylor..solo...with Funk Bros and The Originald probably
    Othets are the Vancouvers Band ie no studio backing tracks and traditional Motown.
    So this is love , Does your mama, I am your man, Malinda and One Girl are great IMO...the others so so.
    You're correct. It is a blend of actual band recordings AND Bobby solo with the Funk Brothers. Motown was forever doing this with the self-contained bands they signed; Tommy Good And The Tabs, Jr. Walker And The All Stars, The Underdogs- sign 'em, then divide 'em. I think it was one of the Underdogs who recalled how Motown wanted EVERYTHING to have that signature sound and so they brought in one of Motown's drummers for their records to boost the energy. They also had the Originals to sing backing vocals. Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers also ended up Motorized a few degrees or more. The sheer irony is, once Motown made Bobby a solo act, they stuck a couple of things on his album that had been recorded with the Vancouvers! Ya gotta love Motown!

Malinda is a Smokey production and that's the Funks on that track. Yes, Berry augmented almost everyone with their in house band and backing vocals.

One exception is Gladys Knight and the Pips. Bubba Knight said they were on the road when they heard Just Walk In My Shoes, their first single, on the radio. They were incensed that the Andantes were on the track. When they returned to Motown they went straight to Gordy's office and told him in no uncertain terms that they needed no augmentation on their records. They refused to promote the single and Gordy deferred to them but it may have hurt them in the long term. They only had three big hits in their seven years at Motown

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Malinda is a Smokey production and that's the Funks on that track. Yes, Berry augmented almost everyone with their in house band and backing vocals.

One exception is Gladys Knight and the Pips. Bubba Knight said they were on the road when they heard Just Walk In My Shoes, their first single, on the radio. They were incensed that the Andantes were on the track. When they returned to Motown they went straight to Gordy's office and told him in no uncertain terms that they needed no augmentation on their records. They refused to promote the single and Gordy deferred to them but it may have hurt them in the long term. They only had three big hits in their seven years at Motown
    I had never heard about that story with "Just Walk In My Shoes" so that is a really nice behind-the-scenes tidbit. I really like that record too, but good for the group for demanding that they be allowed to record without being augmented vocally.

One of my favourite Motown artists, he just did things himself. The Bobby Taylor Anthology incredible with two CD's and around eighteen unissued tracks. One of the first VIP records I picked up from a market stall was "Blackmail" and after that I had to track down any other Bobby Taylor records.

Bobby used to impersonate Berry Gordy and it made me smile in watching the "Joan River Show" when he did it on the show along with Miss Ray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RouzntOZOio&t=9s

If you don't have his anthology set it's a must.

PS. Great Photo!

Attachment 20121
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 12-13-2022 at 06:09 AM.

I love the rawness of some of the Bobby Taylor tracks and I cannot agree that the singles were the only good recordings on the first album - it's a great album for me. It could have been a rush job to cash in on DYMKAM [[which is fantastic) but that doesn't diminish the album's appeal in my eyes. There's not a dud track there. The tracks where the Vancouvers are backing Chris Clark on the unreleased series have a similar feel.

Junior Walker tracks can also come across as raw which is also fine. Not everything has to sound the same.

Really like the last track "If You Love Her" which has that raw, unpolished feeling. Could imagine this being played live in a small club.

Have the Anthology CD and the first LP but never could justify the silly money being asked for Taylor Made Soul.

Could these "raw" tracks have been recorded before joining Motown?

Taylor was known to be overly dramatic. Having the bodyguard with him on the Joan Rivers Show was yet another one of his over-the-top antics. Yes, he did discover the J5 along with Gladys Knight and yes he should have gotten more credit for it. But MJ was destined for super-stardom so it doesn't matter who discovered him really, it would have happened anyway.

Gordy was always at odds with Taylor and Motown kept him on as a producer after the Vancouvers broke up. Then when Motown moved to LA and dropped him there were lawsuits for years. Even when Taylor settled out of court with Gordy he never seemed satisfied. He was a troubled guy.

Perhaps Ralph can shed more light on him if they worked together at Motown.

Taylor was known to be overly dramatic. Having the bodyguard with him on the Joan Rivers Show was yet another one of his over-the-top antics. Yes, he did discover the J5 along with Gladys Knight and yes he should have gotten more credit for it. But MJ was destined for super-stardom so it doesn't matter who discovered him really, it would have happened anyway.

Gordy was always at odds with Taylor and Motown kept him on as a producer after the Vancouvers broke up. Then when Motown moved to LA and dropped him there were lawsuits for years. Even when Taylor settled out of court with Gordy he never seemed satisfied. He was a troubled guy.

Did the Vancouvers break up or did Berry Gordy fire them after they missed a gig where they were suppose to back Chris Clark? And didn't Bobby also throw his name in the hat when the Temptations were looking to replace David Ruffin?

Funny what Bubba says, I hear male voices on there, and they sound distinctively like the Pips, their harmonies are very recognisable

Yes a lot of bile from Bobby on the show. In a way he felt like Pete Best must have felt when he was dropped from the Beatles, and then saw their mega success

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Did the Vancouvers break up or did Berry Gordy fire them after they missed a gig where they were suppose to back Chris Clark? And didn't Bobby also throw his name in the hat when the Temptations were looking to replace David Ruffin?
    Yes I remember that suggestion. But possibly made up by Taylor?
    I've got to say he had a tremendous voice, and DYMKAM remains one of my top ten Motown records.

Here' a good overview of Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers, both as a group and individually. The Vancouvers were talented musicians in their own right. Questions regarding the Temptations, Jackson Five and the volatile nature are addressed.

Not my favourite artist...although some of his tracks are amongst my favourites.
    I think he was full of it...
    Discovered J5.?.really, ask Steeltown records.
    3 no.1s...really....where is the proof?
    He'd have been still sppearing in a Vancouver night club without Motown signing him.
    What about subsequent labels?...Where was the success with them denied to him by Motown?
    Sorry....don't like the guy at all.

As we say in my neck of the woods...he's got a bob on himself.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Funny what Bubba says, I hear male voices on there, and they sound distinctively like the Pips, their harmonies are very recognisable
    You do hear male voices, the Pups. BUT the Andantes are on the record as well... The group didn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    You do hear male voices, the Pups. BUT the Andantes are on the record as well... The group didn't like that.
    Of course the Andantes are all over it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Of course the Andantes are all over it!!!!
    There was a copy of the song floating around a few years ago without the Andantes vocals and weirdly, it sounded incomplete without those sky high voices. I don't know if it's just because I've been used to hearing the Andantes on the record or what, but the musical arrangement just seems to beg for the extra voices.

June 15th:

On his Birthday, remembering Duris Maxwell [1946-2020; formerly Ted Lewis; born William Edward Elgin Lewis]; R&B, soul and rock drummer; Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers; Jefferson Airplane; Skylark....

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    There was a copy of the song floating around a few years ago without the Andantes vocals and weirdly, it sounded incomplete without those sky high voices. I don't know if it's just because I've been used to hearing the Andantes on the record or what, but the musical arrangement just seems to beg for the extra voices.
    I wonder where that was - possibly an acetate as there doesn't seem to be an official release without the Andantes.

Sorry for the delete.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-16-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I wonder where that was - possibly an acetate as there doesn't seem to be an official release without the Andantes.
    It was on one of those fan tapes that got passed around, and around, and around, and...